tuesday's news 24th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

tuesday's news 24th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Hi Spi

WEST HAM have signed keeper Raphael Spiegel, 19, on a three-year deal from Grasshoppers for an undisclosed fee.

the mirror

West Ham have signed teenage goalkeeper Raphael Spiegel from Swiss side Grasshoppers for an undisclosed fee, the newly-promoted Barclays Premier League side have announced.

The 19-year-old, who is a Switzerland Under-20 international, has penned a three-year contract until 2015 with an option for a further year and will arrive at the club this week.

The 6ft 3in custodian made 17 appearances for Swiss second tier side SC Bruhl SG last season, having played 41 games in the previous two campaigns for Grasshoppers' second team in the third tier.

Spiegel is expected to provide back-up to senior goalkeepers Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson, who both joined the Hammers this summer following the club's promotion from the npower Championship.

West Ham have also brought in defender George McCartney, midfielder Mohamed Diame and forward Modibo Maiga as manager Sam Allardyce shapes his squad for the new campaign.

the star

WEST HAM SECURE FOURTH SUMMER SIGNING

WEST HAM have completed their fourth summer signing. Swiss Under-20 keeper Raphael Spiegel, 19, signed a three-year deal.

the mail

Arsenal's Park and West Ham striker Piquionne wanted by Saudi club Al Halil

Al Halil are keen on Arsenal striker Park Chu-young, 27, and West Ham striker Frederic Piquionne, 33.

The Saudi club, who have also made an offer for Manchester City's Kolo Toure, want to take Piquionne on a free transfer

west ham till i die

Leeds Try to Nick Maynard & Other Stories

So Leeds have put in a bid for Nicky Maynard. Cheeky buggers. It has been rejected but I'd imagine they will persist. We haven't really seen enough of Maynard yet to judge whether he will cut it in the Premier League, but unless they are offering silly money (unlikely) I can't really see any justification for considering getting rid of him. Same with Sam Baldock. The only thing that would change my mind on that is if we brought in three strikers of obviously superior quality.

Jermaine Defoe, eh? Last time I speculated on his return I was almost hung, drawn and quartered. This time, I suspect more of you would agree with me that we ought to jump at getting him back. Rumour is, however, that he is not keen to move back to East London and may be looking to head west to Queen's Park Rangers. That way lies madness, but it's a path quite a few players are taking at the moment. He's 29 now, but would still command a fee of £5 million I imagine. Jordan Rhodes or Jermaine Defoe. Hmmm. Difficult one.

Robert Snodgrass, the Leeds winger, is the subject of a bid by Norwich City. He is someone who we have been rumoured to be interested in, but then again, we're supposedly also after a Barcelona winger on loan, as well as a Spanish defender and striker.

And today we signed a young Swiss goalkeeper Raphael Spiegel from Grasshoppers Zurich. He's 19 and has represented his country at very level apart from the senior side. That makes 3 new goalkeepers and means it is unlikely we'll be signing an established keeper like Paul Robinson. I assume that means Stephen Henderson is seen as the Number One. Or not.

The first team has departed for a three match tour of Germany today. The Hammers' first match is a friendly against Rot Weiss Erfurt on Wednesday evening before games against Dynamo Dresden on Friday and finally, Energie Cottbus on Sunday.

PS I'm very proud of that headline!

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is worried he has lost the initiative in the race to land Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, 28.
Robin van Persie

Van Persie has refused to sign a new deal at Arsenal this summer

Daily Mail

And Mancini is furious with City's bosses as the much-wanted Van Persie looks set to slip away from him.

Daily Mirror

Serie A giants AC Milan have opened talks with Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner over a deal to bring the Dane to Italy.

Metro

Manchester United are chasing River Plate's Argentine midfielder Ezequiel Cirigliano, 20, who Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain both want to take on trial.

Daily Mirror

Departing United striker Dimitar Berbatov, 31, could be on his way to Russia after Zenit St Petersburg declared their interest.

talkSPORT

Bayern Munich are set to make a move for Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong, 27, after the German side's interest in Spain international Javi Martinez cooled.

talkSPORT

Tottenham have joined Newcastle and Swansea in the race for former Liverpool and out-of-favour Hoffenheim winger Ryan Babel, 25.
Jermaine Jenas

talkSPORT

Fulham are also apparently considering a bid for Dutchman Babel.

Daily Mail

Liverpool are set to bid £10m for Swansea forward Joe Allen, 22.

Metro

Zenit St Petersburg have joined the race to sign Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, 27, with Manchester City and Napoli also interested.

Daily Mail

Nottingham Forest want to bring Jermaine Jenas, 29, back to the City Ground as they look to land the Tottenham midfielder.

Daily Mirror

Scott Parker is set to miss England's friendly with Italy next month as the Tottenham midfielder prepares for surgery that will also mean he is absent for the Premier League kick-off.

Daily Mirror

Brazil's party-loving players are to stay away from London's Olympic Park to avoid temptation.

BRIGHTON have beaten Spurs, Arsenal, AC Milan and Valencia to land Jeremy Balmy, 18, from Le Havre.

All four clubs tried to sign the midfielder last season but Seagulls boss Gus Poyet finally netted the starlet.

EX-SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY winger Chris Sedgwick, 32, is having trials at Chesterfield after being released by the Hillsborough outfit.

And Barnsley have agreed a two-year deal with Liverpool’s Portuguese ace Toni Silva, 18.

FORMER AC Milan star Clarence Seedorf made a bad start to life in Brazil.

The Dutch ace, 36, suffered a debut defeat as new club Botafogo went down 1-0 at home to Gremio.

babe of the day

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynami ... 950_11.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Hierro

Re: tuesday's news 24th july includes west ham

Post by El Hierro »

Cheers CH
cookshop

Post by cookshop »

I learn more here than i do on the news.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Cheers CH, bit of a vintage BOTD :thup:
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH Image

I see that the Daily Star's arithmetic is as impressive as their articles :lol:

Henderson
Jaaskelainan
Diame
McCartney
Maiga
Spiegel

6 by my count...
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Cheers CH. Yeah the star are dullards of the highest order.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

3 keepers in one window, that must be a record!
casshammer

Post by casshammer »

cockney hammer wrote:

Arsenal's Park and West Ham striker Piquionne wanted by Saudi club Al Halil

Al Halil are keen on Arsenal striker Park Chu-young, 27, and West Ham striker Frederic Piquionne, 33.

The Saudi club, who have also made an offer for Manchester City's Kolo Toure, want to take Piquionne on a free transfer
Cheers CH!

....Where is the 'Bite their f****** hand off' smiley?
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

thank you CH

2nd pic down - wonder why their 18 (or 16) looks so distraught when everyone else is celebrating?
Gavibe

Post by Gavibe »

Please can we sign some fullbacks and wide midfielders!!!
DeanoDeep

Post by DeanoDeep »

kayahammer wrote:thank you CH

2nd pic down - wonder why their 18 (or 16) looks so distraught when everyone else is celebrating?

I think its because Spiegel is giving the player infront a titwank so he missed out
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Thanks again for your stirling work CH. :thup:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Little Judas to QPR... :x Sod him !!

Thanks CH
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Is the Swiss lad another of those keepers we sign, then release a few years later, having made no appearances and a couple of games on the bench, doing nothing?
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Ricardo wrote:Cheers CH, bit of a vintage BOTD
Is that Linda Lusardi ? Always had the hots for that bint :D

Many thanks CH

Defoe....................................up yours
LifeCoach

Post by LifeCoach »

Philosophical Dan wrote:Is the Swiss lad another of those keepers we sign, then release a few years later, having made no appearances and a couple of games on the bench, doing nothing?
I suspect that unlike Stech, this time we have not got ourselves into some daft Icelandic expensive extra payment clause!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Is that Linda Lusardi ? Always had the hots for that bint

no mate donna ewin from plaistow