Wednesday's news 12th september includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Wednesday's news 12th september includes west ham

Post by Kitt the car »

I'm guessing CH is having computer trouble. I'm currently at work but just had a quick look online:

[some of] WEDNESDAYS NEWS from the BBC:

Hillsborough papers set to be released in Liverpool

Previously unseen government papers about the Hillsborough disaster will be released to the public later.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died after a crush on the terraces of Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989.

Many relatives believe more lives could have been saved and hope the papers will shed new light on events.

A report has been compiled by the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which has been scrutinising 400,000 pages of documents for the past 18 months.

Victims' families will be among the first to view the report at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral.

A number have been campaigning for more than 20 years for the papers to be released.

Cabinet papers are not usually published in the UK until 30 years after they have been written, but MPs agreed to their full, uncensored disclosure last year.

Approval came after 140,000 people signed a government e-petition, set up by Liverpool fan Brian Irvine, to trigger a House of Commons debate on the issue.

The panel, chaired by the Bishop of Liverpool, said it had analysed more than 400,000 pages of documents relating to the disaster from more than 80 organisations.

It will release its findings to relatives of the victims on Wednesday morning before the papers are disclosed to the wider public in the afternoon.

Ninety-five fans were crushed to death and hundreds more injured on the overcrowded terraces of the Hillsborough stadium, which was hosting an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The 96th victim, Tony Bland, was left in a coma after the disaster and died in 1993.

An independent inquiry led by Lord Chief Justice Taylor found the main cause of the disaster was a failure in crowd control by South Yorkshire Police.

But the victims' families hope the papers released on Wednesday will shed more light as to exactly what caused the tragedy and what happened in the aftermath.

They want to know how the cabinet and then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher responded in the days and months that followed.

Jenni Hicks lost both her daughters at Hillsborough - Victoria, who was 15 and 19-year-old Sarah.

Talking about the way the disaster was handled by police, she said: "They lied and tried to pass on the blame to the Liverpool supporters, to whom they owe a huge apology.

"They should take ownership of their actions that day, there needs to be some kind of accountability for their actions."

She added: "I am pleased that at last all the documents are there for everybody to see and I am hoping there will be enough evidence there to overturn the verdict of accidental death, but on a personal level I think it's going to open up a number of old wounds."

The original inquest in 1991 returned a verdict of accidental death, ruling all the victims were dead 15 minutes after the game had kicked off at 15:00.

But Anne Williams, the mother of Hillsborough victim Kevin Williams, has called for the government to open a new inquest under section 13 of the Coroner's Act.

She claims Kevin was still alive at 16:00 on the day of the disaster and did not die from traumatic asphyxia.

Mrs Williams started an online petition which was signed by more than 100,000 people.

A statement on the government e-petition website said the Attorney General has agreed he will look at the applications made to his predecessor, to determine whether the evidence available supports an application to the court for a new inquest.

People in Liverpool are being asked to observe a two-minute silence as a mark of respect to the 96 who died.

During the silence - held at 15:06 BST to mark the time the game was stopped - the bells at Liverpool Town Hall Municipal Buildings on Dale Street and Liverpool Parish Church will ring out 96 times.

A vigil to mark the release of the papers will take place at St George's Plateau near to Liverpool Lime Street station at 18:00 BST.

Roy Hodgson confident England will reach 2014 World Cup
England boss Roy Hodgson claims he is more confident that his side will reach the 2014 World Cup in Brazil after the 1-1 home draw with Ukraine.

Frank Lampard's late penalty salvaged a point for an understrength England to leave them second in Group H.

Despite a lacklustre display, Hodgson said: "I was very pleased with many of the aspects of the play tonight.

"I leave Wembley a lot more confident that we have a group of players who will take this England team to Rio."

England were without a number of regulars, including forwards Wayne Rooney, Andy Carroll, Ashley Young and Theo Walcott and the defensive duo of John Terry and Ashley Cole.

Hodgson was forced to call up midfield trio Raheem Sterling, Adam Lallana and Jake Livermore - none of whom have represented their country at senior level before - and selected inexperienced duo Tom Cleverley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to face Ukraine.

"At the end of the day, we have had two youngsters starting the game. They have come off and we have replaced them with three other youngsters," continued the England boss.

"We have a whole team off the field, who, under normal circumstances, would have been competing for places."

After starting their World Cup qualifying campaign with a convincing 5-0 win in Moldova last Friday, there were high hopes that England would continue with a victory over Ukraine, the team many believe will provide the main competition in the group.

However, Hodgson's side lacked the fluency they demonstrated in Chisinau and looked to be staring at defeat following Yevgeni Konoplianka's superb 25-yard opening goal in the first half.

They had a Jermain Defoe goal ruled out for a foul, but Lampard rescued a point when he converted from the spot after Yevgeni Khacheridi handled in the area.

As England pushed for a winner, Steven Gerrard was sent off for a second bookable offence.

"I'll concede that the first 10, maybe even the first 15 minutes, we weren't at our best. We started slowly," said Hodgson. "But the next 75 minutes, we dominated the game totally.

"I thought we controlled the game, we kept playing, we kept probing, we kept trying to play our football.

"We created chances throughout the game, we had a goal disallowed, we hit the post three times and in the end we got an equaliser.

"You could have argued we might have had more because of some of the chances we missed were good chances.
"I suppose it is two points dropped because you want to win your home games. But the fact is we played against a good Ukraine team.

"They had the benefit of a super goal that put them on the front foot which meant our task became harder."

Hodgson was also critical of referee Cuneyt Cakir, who awarded six yellow cards to England players, two of which resulted in Gerrard's dismissal.

"We didn't have a lot of help out there tonight," said the England boss. "We had five bookings and a sending off, which is enormous, considering the way we played. I hardly saw a foul in the game."

England's next World Cup qualifier in Group H is on 12 October, when they host San Marino, beaten 6-0 at home by Montenegro on Tuesday.

Four days later, England travel to Poland, who beat Moldova 2-0 on Tuesday after drawing 1-1 with Montenegro last Friday.

Wales defending against Serbia criminal - Chris Coleman
Wales manager Chris Coleman said he was "embarrassed" by his side's "criminal" display in the 6-1 defeat by Serbia.

The 2014 World Cup qualifying setback in Novi Sad was Wales' worst since their 7-1 loss to Netherlands in 1996.

"We knew it was going to be difficult, but we didn't see this coming," said Coleman.

"To say we are disappointed is an understatement and we have to do much better because the goals we conceded were criminal."

He added: "We have a mountain to climb because we have not gone into half-time on level terms in any of the four games since I've been in charge."

Defeat by Serbia consigned Wales to bottom of the Group A table as their winless run continued from their 2-0 opening defeat by Belgium on Friday.

Coleman said he had seen positives despite the loss to Belgium in which Wales defender James Collins was sent off midway through the first half.

But what followed against Serbia left Wales' successor to the late Gary Speed "gutted".

"I'm embarrassed by the performance, I have to use that word," said Coleman, who won 32 caps as a player for Wales.

"When you play for your country you have to have a bit of bite and you have to be difficult to beat.

"We've got the players to play football, we know that. But we have to earn the right to do that.

"And we almost did it Friday until we got a man sent off.

"But nevertheless we marched on, we pushed Belgium all the way.

"But tonight we never earned it. As soon as we went 1-0 down, then we go 2-0, then there's an amazing goal from Gareth Bale.

"We're getting to half-time where it's 2-1 and we're right in the game because they started to get a bit nervous, and then we gift them a third goal before half-time, which is unbelievably disappointing and deflating.

"And in the second-half we said the next goal will change it and the next goal went to them.

"It did change it - it went from bad to worse, unfortunately.

"But I accept responsibility. I'm the manager, I've said that.

"I'm gutted, I'm disappointed, the players are, but what we can't do is accept that performance and we won't accept it.

"To lose 6-1 is an absolute hammering and we can't ignore that."

After taking a backseat as Wales lost to Costa Rica in a tribute to Speed, Coleman has presided over three successive 2-0 defeats, by Mexico, Bosnia-Hercegovina and Belgium.

Six regulars were missing for the defeat by Belgium, while Collins added to the Welsh woes by being sent off after only 26 minutes.

Of the absentees, who included striker Craig Bellamy, only Joe Allen returned for the trip to Serbia having recovered from illness.

In qualifying rounds three and four, Wales face Scotland at Cardiff City Stadium on 12 October and four days later travel to Croatia.

Scotland followed up their opening draw against Scotland with another point in a 1-1 finish against Macedonia.

And Croatia's clash with fellow Group A favourites Belgium also ended 1-1.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Re: Wednesday's news 12th september includes west ham

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

tx hopefully as we get closer to the weekend there will be more whu news!
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

"At the end of the day, we have had two youngsters starting the game. They have come off and we have replaced them with three other youngsters," continued the England boss.
We couldn't even win with the extra man
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Nicked this of BBC:

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Arsenal are set to make a move for former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba as the Gunners look to prise the 34-year-old from Shanghai Shenhua.

Liverpool and Chelsea have also shown interest in Montenegro forward Stevan Jovetic

Full story: the Sun

Manchester City are close to an agreement with Fiorentina to bring 22-year-old Montenegro forward Stevan Jovetic to the club next summer.

Full story: talkSPORT

Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says he was denied the funds to sign Jovetic in 2009 by then owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. In a new book, Benitez says the reluctance of the Americans to back him financially that summer resulted in Liverpool's failure to build on their Premier League second-placed finish.

Full story: Metro

OTHER GOSSIP
Roy Hodgson's England team stumble to a draw with a display in front of many empty seats at Wembley that will not fill their dwindling supporters with hope for Brazil 2014.

Full story: Guardian

FA shows clips of St George's Park, the new National Football Centre which is finally complete, to offer a glimpse of a future that cannot come quick enough following the draw against Ukraine.

Full story: Independent

Roy Hodgson's faith in older England players is understandable despite the disappointing draw with Ukraine.

Full story: the Times (subscription required)

Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark, 22, is disappointed that he has been left out of Giovanni Trapattoni's Republic of Ireland squad for their opening World Cup 2014 qualifiers.

Full story: Birmingham Mail

The Football Association will start John Terry's racism hearing on 24 September after a delay in appointing the three-man Independent Regulatory Commission.

Full story: Daily Mail

QPR defender Anton Ferdinand. 27, is expected to be fit for QPR's Premier League clash with Chelsea on Saturday.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Manchester United have played down Sir Alex Ferguson's meeting with Pep Guardiola in New York despite rumours he met the former Barcelona boss to discuss handing over the reins at Old Trafford to the Spaniard.

Full story: Daily Express

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie, 29, is a doubt for their game with Wigan on Saturday after he was taken off at half-time with a suspected thigh injury in Netherlands' 4-1 World Cup qualifying win in Hungary.

Full story: Daily Mail

Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell, 24, is struggling to earn a new contract with the Black Cats following the arrival of fellow front men Steven Fletcher, 25, and Louis Saha, 34.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Swansea City are in talks with goalkeeper Michel Vorm, 28, Ashley Williams, 28, and Neil Taylor, 23, over new contracts.

Full story: South Wales Evening Post

Former Burnley manager Brian Laws has described his sacking from the Turf Moor club as the "most hurtful parting" of his career after accusing the board of not being strong enough during his tenure.

Full story: Lancashire Telegraph

Birmingham City have rejected a £12m takeover bid from former QPR owners Gianni Paladini and Flavio Briatore.

Full story: Express and Star

Manchester United chief executive David Gill is looking at trying to shoehorn a Christmas break into the English calendar to bring England in line with the rest of Europe.

Full story: Manchester Evening News

AND FINALLY
Peru fans taunted Barcelona's Lionel Messi, 25, with chants of "Cristiano, Cristiano" - in reference to Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo - when the Argentina forward arrived at Lima airport ahead of their World Cup qualifier.

Full story: Metro
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Booooooooooo!

I love CH.... 8-)
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

To chip in...

Mail

West Ham waiting on FIFA confirmation that Badirou signing has been completed

West Ham are waiting for confirmation from FIFA they have completed the signing of young French prospect Abiola Badirou.

The 19-year-old free agent has spent the summer with the Hammers and has made two appearances, both as a substitute, so far for the club's development squad.

Badirou spent time with French side Tours - who play in the second tier of football in France - but has now impressed sufficiently to earn himself a contract with the east Londoners.

But the current deal is in doubt as Badirou never signed a professional deal and was actually an amateur and the required paperwork did not arrive from France in time.

If Badirou does not sign this month, he is still expected to remain training with the club before signing in January.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Yeah, come back Your CHness, and consider taking on an apprentice, your skills must be passed to future generations of Hammers. I shall write to my MP forthwith and demand government funding for such an appointment.
:)
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Wot no BOTD !
OFT

Post by OFT »

It's the picture of Big Sam doing his Arkwright impersonation that I'm missing.

Bird of the day:
Last edited by OFT on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happy.hooker

Post by happy.hooker »

thanks ktc.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

warp's BOTD
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

clawhammer wrote:Wot no BOTD !
I am at work, I can't access images suitable for your needs on this computer :(

Cheers to everyone who chipped in, only had a spare 2 mins this morning.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

warp wrote:warp's BOTD
A lady boy? :?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

could be, i couldn't watch all the set as i'm at work too, but i trust your clinical eye! :lol:
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

A lady boy?
With tits like that? No way.
pdbis
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by pdbis »

What position does this bloke play who we are waiting for clearance?
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Thanks KTC
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers Kitt & Tits
Ticket 2 Ryde