sunday's news 27th october includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's news 27th october includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

some pucker background music to listen to while you read the news

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks to sutts 07 for the fantastic banners enough respect

Rav reviews: Talk of Morrison going to Brazil isn't premature insists Joe Cole

Ravel Morrison backed for England's World Cup squad by West Ham teammate Joe Cole

Joe Cole has given a telling insight into the pressures that surround talented young players such as his West Ham
team-mate Ravel Morrison.

Cole - who is 32 next week, and now back at the club where he launched his career - believes Morrison has the ability to be part of the England squad that goes to the World Cup finals in Brazil next summer.

But Cole can warn the exciting 20-year-old of the pitfalls of sudden fame.

Cole was hailed as the best of his generation when he burst on the scene with the Hammers as a teenager - but it was fame at a price.

He admitted: “This has been an amazing journey for me, but it was very daunting at first.”

He recalled how he was suddenly the victim of jealousy when there were reports that, as a 15-year-old, he was earning more than the Prime Minister.

Cole added: “It was a ridiculous story. I was not earning anything at the time.

“The only money I got was £30 a-week pocket money from my mum.

“And when I signed my first contract as an apprentice, it was only £45 a-week.

“It was a harsh lesson. I remember going to school and everybody changed towards me. It was my first taste of fame and it was not pleasant.”

He also feels Morrison will benefit from the advice given at West Ham.

Cole added: “It’s a case keep doing what you are doing. You have to keep level and improve gradually. Ravel has got good experience coming from Manchester United.

“Maybe he wasn’t around their first team enough, but he is very much part of our team.

“As for England, it is not premature to talk about that with Ravel.

“He’s been outstanding. His attitude is spot on. He loves football and you see the joy in him when he is playing.

“Of course he has a World Cup chance.”

Exciting times: Ravel Morrison has impressed for West Ham (above) and England Under 21s (below)
Tough times: Sir Alex Ferguson felt he had to get Morrison out of Manchester
Boy wonder: Morrison scored a super, solo goal at Spurs earlier this month
Mobbed: His West Ham team-mates soon rushed to ]congratulate their young colleague
Happier times: Morrison did enjoy some better moments at Old Trafford, such as this goal against Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup
Cup of joy: Morrison, pictured with Will Keane, was an FA Youth Cup winner with United
Out of place? Morrison didn't make the grade at Old Trafford
Prize guy: A young Morrison poses proudly with a trophy
Unimpressed: Morrison failed to convince Mike Phelan and Sir Alex Ferguson he had a future at Manchester United
No sweat: Morrison in a 'cool' pose taken from his Twitter account
Leap of faith? West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is being rewarded for selecting Morrison
Country call: Morrison is now part of the England Under-21 set-up
Net gains: Morrison scored another fine, individual effort during the victory over Lithuania this month

Can ex-United starlet Morrison make the switch from bad boy to World Cup ace?

On a bracingly cold evening in November 2008, the 1,200 spectators dotted around Old Trafford thought they had glimpsed the future of English football.

Ravel Morrison was just 15 but his poise and vision as he teased and tore open the Chelsea defence in the final of the FA Youth Cup saw him acclaimed as the most exciting Manchester United teenager since Paul Scholes.

The path to success — possibly even to greatness — looked assured. But with Ravel Morrison things are rarely straightforward.
Ravel Morrison of West Ham

Man-of-the-match performances and wonder goals for the United academy side were eclipsed in a whirl of skipped training sessions, conflicts and court appearances.

His bleakest moment came when he admitted two charges of intimidating a witness, having subjected the victim of a knifepoint robbery to a two-day ordeal in an effort to stop him giving evidence against Morrison’s friends.

Morrison’s United career ended when he was sold to West Ham in January last year. Hammers manager Sam Allardyce says Sir Alex Ferguson told him Morrison was ‘a brilliant footballer’ who ‘needs to get away from Manchester and start a new life’.

He appears to have done just that. This season, Morrison has injected imagination and daring into a West Ham side who sometimes lack individual spark, while a stunning solo goal for England Under-21s this month enhanced his international credentials.

When West Ham take on Swansea on Sunday afternoon, every touch Morrison makes will be dutifully reported to Roy Hodgson, who is being implored by the good and great to consider taking the boy from Manchester’s Wythenshawe estate to Brazil next summer.

If that happens, it will hearten those close to Morrison, who agonised that he might squander his talent or end up in prison just as he was on the brink of greatness.

Even in the most stridently red parts of his native Manchester, most agree that Morrison would never have realised his potential at United because the risk of falling back into trouble with a wayward group of friends was too great.

‘The so-called friends he was knocking around with are not good people and they took him off track,’ said Phil Brogan, who scouted an eight-year-old Morrison for United. ‘They got him into trouble. He needed to be in a routine away from them and unfortunately that meant getting away from Manchester. Which was a shame because I think he could have lit up Old Trafford.’

Wythenshawe, to the south of Manchester city centre, is the second biggest council estate in the UK — an 11 square mile sprawl of mainly red brick 1930s semi-detached houses — blighted by gun crime and gang culture.

Morrison was raised on the estate but went to St Ann’s primary school in Stretford, a short walk from Old Trafford. His first club was Fletcher Moss Rangers, where Wes Brown and Danny Welbeck also played their junior football. Ryan Jamieson coached Morrison in his early years.

‘He was just a bit of a cheeky chappy,’ said Jamieson. ‘He’s easily led. He’s not a malicious kid, he just reacts and always seems to be in the middle of things. He shoots himself in the foot a lot of the time.

‘But he was a phenomenal footballer, head and shoulders above a lot of them and it was a really strong age group.’

Morrison was soon on the radars of both Manchester clubs and interest peaked after he scored 15 goals in a day at a junior international tournament.

‘We didn’t concede a goal and Ravel was top scorer,’ said Jamieson. ‘He was always scoring solo goals. He was training with both City and United. I remember Terry John (head of junior recruitment at Manchester City) asking me about Ravel and I spoke to Derek Langley (head of youth recruitment at United) and told him that City had been asking about him. I think that might have spurred them to get him signed. Terry gave me a bit of an earful because Ravel had signed for United.’

It was at a United football camp in Timperley that Phil Brogan spotted Morrison out of the corner of his eye.

‘He wasn’t even in my group,’ said Brogan. ‘I was walking past him going to the clubhouse and saw him move without the ball. He was floating. I shouted, “Can I have him in my group?” and the other coach said “Gladly! Take him now”. He’d had him for less than an hour on the first day and couldn’t handle him.

‘You need to keep him occupied,’ he added, ‘otherwise he gets bored and restless. In academy games he scored goals where he beat the whole team. He was allowed freedom to play and be creative. He’s a genius but you have to get the balance right with great artists.

'If you do, you have no problems and he is genuinely a sweet kid. When he was 15, I’d not seen him for a while and he sent me a birthday card which said “Thanks for everything”. He’s really grateful to those who care about him.’

Morrison’s talent was never disputed but the constant battle to extract the best from him wore some down and other players became frustrated at what one called the ‘seemingly never-ending pursuit of his potential’.

In May 2011, Morrison was fined £600 after throwing his girlfriend’s phone out of the window in a row over his text messages she had read. A charge of common assault was dropped after she refused to testify, as she had done once before. Pressure mounted on United to sell Morrison before the name of the club was tarnished.

‘I saw him at Christmas 2011,’ said Brogan, ‘a month before he left United. He was with his mates but I took him to one side and said, “This is your chance and if you don’t take it, in a few years you’ll sit down and wish you had but by then it will be too late”.

‘There were a number of players who tried to take him under their wing. Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs all tried to get him on the straight and narrow. But he did the right thing by leaving.’

In THE week where the legacy of Sir Alex Ferguson has been dragged back under the microscope by the release of his autobiography, one of the kindest things he did was allow Morrison to join West Ham, where he knew Sam Allardyce had a history of dealing with troubled young footballers.

A loan spell at Birmingham last season began by pulling teeth, both literally with emergency dental surgery to remove seven decaying teeth and figuratively as manager Lee Clark and his staff struggled to get a grip on Morrison’s erratic behaviour.

‘I didn’t go into it with my eyes closed,’ said Clark, ‘I knew there were issues there, some of Ravel’s own making and some not of his choice.

‘I gave him advice on a daily basis when I thought he wasn’t behaving in the right way. If you’re a talented footballer playing at the highest level all the rewards come with that, financial and performance wise. I made sure he was aware what he was doing and how it could affect his future and he gradually brought into it. From Christmas onwards he was a complete professional and it showed in his game.’

Morrison scored three goals in 30 games for Birmingham and has carried his renewed focus into this season, with nerveless performances for West Ham and England. In the Upton Park dressing room he is popular not just for his mind-boggling skills but his application. He is well looked after by senior players like Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan and Joe Cole.

‘He’s very much part of our team and he’s a quick learner,’ said Cole. ‘I judge people how I find them and he’s a top bloke. He’s got a big future ahead of him. He’s got everything it takes, including attitude. He’s a proper player now.

‘He’s been outstanding. It’s not premature to think he could play for England, look at Ross Barkley, Andros Townsend and Jack (Wilshere). I was 19 or 20 when I first played for England. Ravel must have a chance because Roy has said he will go for youth over experience if it’s a close call.’
In Morrison England could have a secret weapon for Brazil. Comparisons with Paul Gascoigne have been made by Clark and others.

‘For me he can be every bit as good as Gascoigne,’ said Brogan. ‘He’s certainly one of the best players in the world for his age and has been for many years.’

The question is, can he remain on the right track, the one that leads to complete redemption and glory for club and country?

‘I don’t know. I’m more confident,’ said Brogan, ‘that’s the best you can say. I spoke to him last week and he said he was “absolutely loving it at West Ham”, but only time will tell with Ravel

Joe Cole thinks Ravel Morrison's form will earn him a place at the World Cup
Joe Cole hopes to regain his form in order to get a chance of being in the England squad

West Ham star Joe Cole backs Ravel Morrison for Rio

JOE COLE is ­tipping Ravel ­Morrison to make England’s World Cup squad and be part of the new breed of youngsters that could win it.

The West Ham midfield star has also not written himself off over making Brazil, insisting it is a possibility if he avoids injuries.

Cole, now 31, believes Morrison, Ross Barkley, Andros Townsend and Jack Wilshere are all kids with the potential to shine in the land of the samba.

Cole said: “People might look at me funnily but with these youngsters we could win the World Cup.”

Morrison, 20, had a chequered career at Manchester United and left after earning a bad-boy reputation.

But at West Ham he has established himself as a player, realising the only way to beat the ­system is to join it.

“People might look at me funnily but with these youngsters we could win the World Cup”
Joe Cole

Cole said: “I like Ravel. I have always believed in the philosophy that you take people as you find them and I find him to be a top bloke.

“My advice to him would be, ‘Keep doing what you are doing’.

“You ignore the praise and criticism because they come in equal measure. One minute you are great, the next you are not so great.

“He has got a lot of experience. He came from Manchester United and maybe he wasn’t part of the first team picture there – but here he is certainly part of ours.

“He has a big future ahead of him. When I started it was daunting. I remember a ­ridiculous thing in the papers when I was still at school that said I was earning more money than the Prime Minister.

“It was total rubbish. My mum gave me £30 pocket money and eventually I got a £45-a- week apprentice contract at West Ham.

“Yet it changed people’s perception of me – anyone from my mates to my teachers. I never changed but people around me did.

“I have evolved but I am still the person I have ­always been. The first taste of fame wasn’t pleasant. Some wanted to stay close, ­others wanted to distance themselves and ­others were jealous, stemming from a story that wasn’t true.

“That is what I learned. I know Ravel will learn.

“He is obviously earning more than that and I never begrudge anyone earning ­money.”

And Cole is in no doubt about what motivates Morrison. ­“Ravel has the attitude to get to the top because he knows money can only take you so far,” he said.

“He is a proper player and has been outstanding when he has played.

“It is not outrageous to think of him as a World Cup candidate. I went to one when I was 19. Theo Walcott went at 17.

“The young ones think they have a chance because Roy Hodgson has said he will give youth a shot.”

Ravel Morrison has the talent to be part of a new England generation, says Cole

'Ravel Morrison is ready to play for England in Rio,' says West Ham teammate Joe Cole

West Ham teammate Joe Cole is in no doubt that the former Manchester United bad boy has what it takes to follow in Tottenham winger Andros Townsend’s footsteps and become an overnight hero.

He reckons the pair – along with the likes of Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere and Everton’s Ross Barkley – are capable of firing England to a World Cup success everyone is being warned not to expect.

That’s why Cole, who has not given up hope of a place in the England squad in Brazil next summer, last night urged England boss Roy Hodgson to be true to his promise to give youth its head in Rio – particularly Morrison.

He says the talented midfielder, once sent packing by Sir Alex Ferguson because of his disciplinary record, now has everything it takes to be another England sensation.

“I went to a World Cup when I was 19, Theo Walcott went when he was 17, Ravel’s just 20 and he definitely has a chance. He has a big future ahead of him,’’ said Cole.

“Nobody will thank me for saying it, but I think with youngsters like Ravel, Townsend, Barkley and Wilshere we have a real chance in the tournament.”

He will learn like I did, and has attitude to get to the top

Joe Cole

Morrison is today set to parade his talents at Swansea, against whom Cole himself first shot to stardom as a 17-year-old.

And it’s his experience since then that is making 31-year-old Cole the perfect mentor for a young man with such a troubled past.

Cole recalls: “When I started it was daunting. I remember a ridiculous thing in the papers when I was still at school that said I was earning more money than the Prime Minister.

“It was rubbish. My mum gave my £30 pocket money and eventually I got a £45-a-week apprentice contract at West Ham.

“Yet it changed people’s perception of me from mates to teachers. I never changed, but people did around me.

“I learned and I know Ravel will learn. He has the attitude to get to the top because he knows money can only take you so far.’’

“These are exciting times at West Ham and it is up to us players to ensure it goes in the right direction. It has been an amazing journey for them and me. Long may it continue.’’

Swansea keeper Michel Vorm wants to ensure the Hammers do not enjoy too many exciting times today – and has warned his team-mates that to do that they must not allow the upcoming south Wales derby to be a distraction.

Swansea and Cardiff will face each other in the top-flight for the first time at Cardiff City Stadium in just eight days.

A week in the spotlight awaits the two Welsh clubs, but Swansea will first look to take some momentum into the battle for Welsh bragging rights with a win today.

Dutchman Vorm said: “We have to be fully focused on beating West Ham. Of course it would be a boost. If we get the three points we will have 13 points and we can relax in a different way before the derby.’’

The Swans are on a high after beating Sunderland 4-0 last time out, but boss Michael Laudrup said: “We made the most of our chances against Sunderland, but West Ham is going to be a totally different game.”

official site
Less than 200 left for Aston Villa
http://www.whufc.com/articles/20131021/ ... 84_3470107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

official site
Cole hopes to bounce back
http://www.whufc.com/articles/20131027/ ... 84_3512603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

official site
Chadwell Chatter

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20131025/ ... 84_3508693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham get their European campaign started

Swansea CityWest Ham United travel to Swansea City hoping to secure the clubs first back-to-back away victories since April 2012.

The Hammers backed up their stunning 3-0 victory at White Hart Lane with a disappointing display against Manchester City last weekend.

That defeat left the Hammers sitting in 15th place just one point above 18th place Norwich City, a win in Wales would help ease early fears of a long season ahead.

The Irons, who haven’t won back to back away wins since their Championship days, will look to remove that proverbial monkey of the clubs back.

Tactically speaking, Sam Allardyce got ‘found out’ last week against Manchester City in the Hammers 3-1 defeat. The 4-6-0 formation that worked so well against Spurs just didn’t get going against the superstars of the blue half of Manchester.

It allowed City to have time on the ball and space to dictate play, with Swansea’s style of play I fear that should Sam Allardyce decide to play without a striker it will play right into Swansea’s hands.

I sat down to watch Swansea’s Europa League clash on Thursday night, and whilst it wasn’t their first teamers out you could easily work out that they play a brand of football which limits the amount of possession the opposition have.

It’s clear that the Hammers will have to make the most of the limited ball they will have on Sunday. They will have to hope Mark Noble and Mohamed Diame have a good day at the office, breaking up play and sending the Irons on the counter attack.

With Mladen Petrić and Carlton Cole knocking on the door for a start, Sam Allardyce will have to make tactical decision on Sunday and decide whether to mix tactics up and spring a surprise on Swansea.

Big Sam’s shock tactics won over many West Ham fans and plaudits alike with the clubs historic 3-0 win over Spurs. The Dudley born man will have to pull a rabbit out the hat again to win in Wales.

Sam Allardyce told gathering press the importance to win on Sunday.

He said: “Certainly we need to get some points out of it because we’re way down on the points total I expected after the first eight games. It’s a big game for us to make sure we play our best and get some points out of.”

Swansea’s home form has been sceptical all season but with their 4-0 win over Sunderland last week they will hope they have turned a corner and will look to pick up back to back home wins for the first time this season.

The Hammers will take some solace out of the fact that the Swans have struggled at home this season and will look to take full advantage. This game will represent the first viewing for the Irons fans of summer target Wilfried Bony, who has had a fairly solid start of the season at Swansea.

Swansea were denied a win over Kuban Krasnodar last night when a sloppy goalkeeping error allowed Djibril Cisse to slam home a last ditch equalising penalty, proving that if you can stay in the game long enough against these sides you can pick up points.

Every West Ham fan will know the dangers of Dyer, Michu and Bony but if the Hammers can keep them quiet there is no reason why we can’t walk away with all three points.

A win for the Hammers would take them above the Swans and make the start of the season look respectable and get the feel good factor back at the club.

Team News:

Swansea: Michael Laudrup must decide whether to play Ashley Williams, who has missed the last five weeks with an ankle injury. Pablo Hernadez finally looks set to play after a hamstring problem but Ben Davies (ankle) is out.

West Ham: Alou Diarra, James Collins and George McCartney are all still missing alongside long term absentee Andy Carroll for the Hammers.

Where to drink: The Wind, Yates, or No sign bar. There is also a Harvester near the ground.

Due a win? Bowdenwhu Predicts: Swansea 2 West Ham 1

Come on you Irons!

The Opposition View - Blowing Bubbles tell us what to expect from the Hammers

Firstly, can you introduce yourself and your website, how long have you been a West Ham fan?

My name is Tim Holland and I write for the Blowing Bubbles fanzine, the first e-fanzine for West Ham. I focus on the getting opposition fans’ views and also our guest interviews which have included ex players like Tony Cottee and Julian Dicks, celebrity fans and former youth players that didn’t quite make it. I’ve been a West Ham fan all my life and although I live in Essex, both my parents’ lived in East Ham and my Dad’s family have all been West Ham fans going back generations, so I had no choice in the matter.

Tell us more about what to expect from West Ham? You used to be known for your passing style but are you playing that type of football at the moment?

I think this view of West Ham and ‘West Ham Way’ is overly romanticised and doesn’t take into account the appalling football we’ve played under Redknapp, Roeder, Pardew, Curbishley, Zola and Grant. I think we were known for our passing style in the distant past and in fairness we still play a lot of good football but we do get tarnished with the long ball brush due to Big Sam. The issue is unless you are Barcelona you can’t play this passing type of football every minute of every game. We can be too defensive and we don’t have a lot of possession in matches but we do play some passing football. We probably rely on our wide men and crosses into the box too much especially as Carroll is still out injured but we do have different styles of play especially the ‘false nine’ formation.

Which player has impressed fans most this season?

Most fans were looking forward to seeing Andy Carroll battering defences this season but I’m starting to worry that we won’t see him until the New Year. The emergence of Morrison has taken the pressure of our underperforming strikers and fortunately we’ve been tight at the back. Tomkins, Demel and Reid have all played well but I’d have to go for Winston Reid. He’s been a consistent performer over the last few seasons and a real rock at the heart of the defence.

Which player has failed to live up to expectations?

Maiga isn’t having a great time of it of late. We shelled out over £5m for him and beat off competition from Newcastle for his signature so he came to the club with high expectations. Unfortunately apart from a couple of goals last season he hasn’t really lived up to it. He’s been playing in the lone striker role in Carroll’s boots and it’s not really suited to him. I think it says something when the manager goes for a 4-6-0 formation instead of picking him up front!

What’s the general fan view on Sam Allardyce? Stay or go?

It’s tough for Sam, because of negative view of his brand of football, if we win then he’s a genius, if we lose then he has to go. The perception of him as a long ball merchant is unfair, we way some good football under him although we can be a bit defensive away from home. I like him to be honest and think he should stay for a good few years. He showed against Tottenham that he does have a ‘Plan B’ which is effective.

What’s the general West Ham fan view on the owners you have and the ownership situation?

Much has been said of our new owners but I feel that whatever their shortcomings, they have the club at heart. It makes a difference having supporters as owners and I think they have made a number of good decisions and have used a lot of their own money to help the club. The club was on the brink of disaster when they came in and apart from a couple of bad decisions (Avram Grant and Benni McCarthy) they’ve done well. Their work in getting the club the Olympic Stadium should be commended and will hopefully elevate the club to the next level.

Which ex West Ham player would you love to see back playing for you and why?

We’ve been blessed with a lot good players over the years and we’ve been fortunate to have some of them come back with Joe Cole and James Collins our recent returnees. I’d like to see Carrick back in midfield. When Rio was mentioned as a transfer option in the summer I was receptive to that and think he could have mentored Tomkins at the back. Your own ex West Ham player Leon Britton is someone who has impressed me over the last few seasons and it just goes to show that clubs do make mistakes sometimes when releasing young players.

Who are the greatest players you have seen - or wish you'd seen – in West Ham colours and who shouldn’t have been allowed anywhere near them?

I remember a seeing Paolo Di Canio when I was younger and being blown away. He was a mercurial talent that we’ve been missing from the team of late. Carlos Tevez was another player that I got to see a number of times the season he was with us. Again I never thought we’d have a player of his stature and talent at the club and it was great to have him here even it was only for a short time!

There have been so many players that shouldn’t be allowed near the team especially when we were in the Championship but Gary Breen has to be up there. After a good World Cup we signed him up and he was shocking and greatly assisted our relegation in the 2002-2003 season.

What’s the view on Ravel Morrison then? Are you impressed? Is he the real deal?

I’m really impressed with Ravel. He has bags of talent and he seems to have curbed his antics off the pitch as well. He has a lot of skill, a good range of passing and can shoot from distance and I think he has a great future in the game. A lot of West Ham fans feel vindicated because even last season there were calls for him to return from his loan spell at Birmingham to help out our midfield but I think we’ve handled his talent well. He needed nurturing and a spell in the Championship before getting first team action.

What are your realistic hopes for this season?

I think after overachieving last year I would like to see us consolidate this season. I’d like a good cup run and perhaps a top 10 finish.

Which Swansea player do you fear the most and why?

It has to be Michu for me; he’s always a goal threat for you. He’s a great player and rightly deserved his call up to the Spanish national team. Everyone likes a bargain and he was the bargain of last season.

What will the score be on Saturday?

I think it’ll be a close affair; I’ll go for 1-1.

What are your thoughts and views on Swansea as a team and a Club?

I think most fans respect the style of football Swansea play and you have more teamwork than most teams. It helps that Cardiff have been promoted and have framed you as the nice Welsh team out of the two of you!

Football for a fiver

Upton ParkNormally, I’m pleased when I see an advert for West Ham in a London Paper. I’m pleased when we get a bit of press, because we’re an ace team, and it’s good to see that reflected in print. But lately I’ve noticed some absolute clangers coming out of the West Ham United marketing team – and I’m starting to cringe more and more when I read some of the ways they attempt to brand and market the club.

Now, I know it’s easy to make odd calls in marketing. I was once responsible for mixing up photos of super poisonous flowers for violets in a German advertising campaign (you know what Germans are experts on? Poisonous flower identification.) It happens. But the amount of annoying, silly, miscommunicated, and downright bizarre marketing decisions West Ham have made this year leave me scratching my head and wondering what it is about our club we are aiming to communicate.

Firstly we advertised the Manchester City game as an opportunity to “See the Stars of City” (the headline on the advert.) David Gold admitted it was a mistake and we countered with a new ad that highlighted “might see the return of Joe Cole” as the main selling point of a Cat A game. If those were the two best reasons to see a Cat A game at home, it makes me think the marketing team is not actually bringing their creative A game to the table right now.

They’ve also tweeted a great 25% off Adidas.co.uk voucher from the official club twitter. Annoyingly, it was a direct link to pretty much four pages of Chelsea kit, which this idiot scrolled through before realising we are in no way mentioned on or associated with the Adidas website. If you search for West Ham it has no results. Kinda awkward.

But the marketing decision that has really provoked heated discussion was the decision to offer £5 tickets to our Cat A game v Manchester City to charities and vulnerable community organisations.

Wait, hang on Emily, are you trying to say we shouldn’t give cheap tickets to the community? Are you gonna cancel Christmas next?

No. I have absolutely no problem with making football affordable— but I do have a problem with not making it affordable to everyone.

I’m categorically in favour of providing cheap tickets to the community. One of the main reasons I’m looking forward to heading to the OS is that tickets will reportedly become more affordable to fans and allow more people in difficult financial situations to come to the games. It’s my hope that more teenagers will be able to afford support their local club, and that parents will be in a position to bring their children to games other than just on kids for a quid day (which is also a great initiative.) I think that the more opportunities kids have to go to football, the less time they have for getting into trouble.

I’m also very impressed with Charlton Athletic’s Football for a Fiver for their recent game against Barnsley, and Brentford FC’s excellent ‘Pay What You Can’ initiative (tickets cost a minimum of £1, and they give some of the money to charity.)

The problem is that there is big difference between Charlton’s football for a fiver and our football for a fiver—Charlton displayed inclusion and clarity—and we did neither of those things.

It’s great that we were providing opportunities for people less advantaged to be able to attend a Cat A game, but why were we not shouting about this act of generosity from the rooftops, a la Charlton and Brentford? And are we actually giving away tickets in equal measure for cup games? The Capitol One Cup games have had empty seats galore, and I’d have absolutely loved to see them filled with affordable £5 tickets.

Why was there such an incredible discrepancy in ticket prices for this game? Moving just a fiver around makes the range so much more affordable as £10-£47 seems a little more agreeable, no? There is a colossal gap in ticket price between £52 and £5- especially when everyone’s had a chance to buy a ticket for £52, and only a few people had the option to purchase a £5 ticket.

We are a football club that is not based in a wealthy area. I appreciate so much that we don’t pay much for cup runs, that Season ticket holders for 5+ years are still working through a 5% per season discount, but the truth is, it’s very difficult for a lot of our fans to afford to see a game at Upton Park. A family of four attending the City game in Band 4 would have had to cough up £162 (£182 if they are not members.)

I’m all for affordable football, but we need to be transparent about it and not just release a statement after the fact to defend it. We should be proud of our community ties, not back-tracking to justify them. I think it’s wonderful to sell tickets cheaply to those in need, but when the club itself sits in an area where a lot of fans struggle to afford ticket prices, it becomes tough to judge who is in need of a £5 ticket and who isn’t. In equal measures, I feel terrible for the people who bought £5 tickets and then had to see an ensuing back-lash online and think we didn’t want them there on the day.

We just are not selling ourselves well as a football club by the marketing decisions being made lately, and I’m hopeful that the team making these decisions can learn something from their recent blunders. Marketing isn’t just selling; it’s understanding the brand you represent and maintaining loyalty and positive relationships with those associated with the brand. Maybe in future we should set aside a few of those £5 tickets for the West Ham marketing team, so that they learn a bit more about the club they represent.

What do you think? Should we be giving cheaper tickets to those unable to afford full price ones? Are you frustrated with the marketing team’s decision, or more frustrated by the fans’ negative reactions to giving seats to those less well off?

18 year West Ham fan banned for using a Under 16 ticket

Following the discounted community ticket debate of this week there has been much talk on twitter and West Ham forums about a 18 Year West Ham fan allegedly fined £1,100 and banned for Life from West ham for using an under 16 ticket.

I often find although there is an element of truth in these internet rumours some of the facts are wrong or misleading. I have spoken to a source close to the club and the fan in question himself to get to the bottom of this story. I understand the 18 year old fan was arrested in the East Stand during the Manchester City game last weekend.

As there is an ongoing police investigation it wouldn’t be fair to name the fan or discuss any details to prejudice that investigation.

The price of East Stand renewal of Season Ticket (Band 2) for a young adult (under 22) is £410 this season while the Under 16 season ticket is £255. That works out a short fall of £155 per season. If you multiple this by two seasons than you get £310 plus the difference of a large number of away games which takes it up to the £1100 talked about in tweets and forums.

However this is not a fine imposed by the club. This is what they are asking for back in lost revenue.

I understand the club has written to the fan this week and suspended his season ticket card and banned him from the ground until the £1100 is paid back. Not exactly the life ban that some have suggested unless the debt remains unpaid for life.

We all know this is wrong but but I can’t help feel sorry for this fan who made a mistake as a young adult and is now paying the price.

Many will point to the high prices of season tickets for a 18 year but the price of Band 2 ticket rises from Under 16 £255 to £410 for a Young Adult until they reach the age of 22. That is a 50% discount on the full £820 price for an adult season ticket which many pay over the age of 22.

Some West Ham fans have pointed to a David Gold quote “back to those early years in the East End. Back then, with no money, there was one thing I could do. I could bunk into West Ham Football Club at half-time for free”

I suppose It all goes to prove we all do silly things when we are younger. How much sympathy the police give to this young man remains to be seen. Hopefully he may get a second chance in life but I don’t think that is in the hands of the club.

Amanda Jacks from the Football Supporters Federation recently blogged about the right of appeal for Club bans. She says…

“Clubs have the legal right to ban whoever they like (so long as they don’t break equality laws). But surely there must be adequate appeals processes in place for fans who feel they’ve been unfairly treated? Not always, and different clubs handle things in very different ways. It’s rare for a football club to operate any type of “due process” when banning supporters from their ground. We’ve heard from fans banned for all manner of reasons and, in our experience, it can take considerable time to get their bans lifted. We recognise that clubs have every right to refuse admission to supporters but feel such a drastic step should only be taken after both sides have been heard – a transparent banning process that gives a supporter the chance to have their say. Even when a Football Banning Order has not been handed out, or a fan has been acquitted by the courts, clubs sometimes choose to ban fans from their stadium. Is this reasonable? The majority of clubs offer no processes or procedures acting as judge, jury and executioner, which leaves fans at the whim of the club Safety Officer who is often behind such decisions. Thanks to ticket Terms & Conditions supporters have no right to a refund for games missed if they are season ticket holders meaning, effectively, clubs are imposing a financial penalty as well as depriving the supporter of the ability to support his or her team”

Hammers in the Heart

When Morrissey met Bobby Moore

Unlikely West Ham reference in Morrissey's number one bestseller Autobiography. On page 68 he writes of his amazement at seeing the New York Dolls' album cover in 1972 at a time "when young men were assumed to want to look like Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves and Terry Venables." Mozzer also mentions his dad taking him to see George Best play for Man United at Old Trafford, only young Stephen faints… and the rest is musical history.

The never ending West Ham debate

James TomkinsThe selection dilemma that has got me thinking this week is who should play alongside Winston Reid in the heart of the Hammers defence.

Just for the record I think James Collins and James Tomkins are both very good defenders in their own right but their style is lacking in similarities.

Collins is a typically old school centre half that likes nothing more than crunching tackles and blocking shots with any part of his body. What fan or manager can dislike someone that gives 100% and will do anything for the team?

My main issue with Collins is he doesn’t pass out from the defence, he is always looking to go long up towards the striker which frustrates me, whether that is Sam Allardyce’s instructions or not, I don’t know, but I would like to see us play out into our talented midfield more often!

I have heard and read a lot of criticism directed at the Welshmen about some mistakes he has made, but the number of clean sheets he has mustered since re-joining is very impressive.

Tomkins on the other hand is cut from the mould of a ball playing central defender, he likes to stay on his feet to make tackles and then play out from the back, which is exactly the style most West Ham fans want.

Saying that when Tomkins plays I always feel we become a little lightweight at the back and miss the presence of Collins. However, Tomkins must be applauded as a centre back for the way he tries to play football.

We all know which type of defender that Big Sam likes. He was a Collins himself!

So, which defender is really the best partner for Reid? Collins and the New Zealand international are the preferred choice when everyone is fit but are they too similar? Perhaps part of the reason we are considered a long ball side? Then you have the more technical Tomkins, can he compliment Reid better to play a more attractive style of football?

Who would you like to see next to Reid in the middle of the West Ham defence?

Tweet me at @jmrmarsden1

Manchester United will sign Leighton Baines from Everton for £15m in January. Former Blues manager David Moyes failed with several bids for the England left-back, 28, in the summer and Everton are looking at Swansea's Ben Davies, 20, and Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand, 24, as possible alternatives.

Sunday Express

Liverpool are ready to battle Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal to sign AC Milan's out-of-favour striker Stephan El Shaarawy, 20.
Several English clubs are thought to be interested in mohicaned

Daily Star Sunday

Manchester United are not thought to have offered Wayne Rooney a new contract because they do not want to commit £70m on keeping him at Old Trafford. The 28-year-old striker is believed to be looking for an improvement on his current £250,000-a-week salary and wants a five-year contract.

Mail on Sunday

Paris St-Germain are set to move for Chelsea's Spain midfielder Juan Mata in January. Tottenham are also interested in the 25-year-old.

Sunday Telegraph

Arsenal are plotting a £7m January bid for West Brom midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu, 26.

Sunday Mirror

Inter Milan are planning an £8m bid for Arsenal's 27-year-old defender Thomas Vermaelen - who might be persuaded to move to get regular first-team football and ensure a place in Belgium's World Cup squad.
Metro

Sunderland midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini, 28, is being tracked by Inter - who have money to spend following Indonesian businessman Erick Thohir's takeover.

Talksport

Everton want Bruno Martins Indi. The 21-year-old Feyenoord and Netherlands defender is being hailed in Europe as "the new Sol Campbell" and the Toffees are poised to make a £6m bid.

Sunday Mirror

Manchester United manager David Moyes will allow Wilfried Zaha to leave on loan in January. The England winger, 20, has made just one appearance since joining from Crystal Palace in the summer.

the Sun (subscription required)

Tottenham are working on secret plans for a new 65,000-seat multi-purpose stadium that would allow them to share with a London-based NFL franchise.

Mail on Sunday

Former Stoke manager Tony Pulis wants £2m a year to replace Ian Holloway at Crystal Palace.

the Sun (subscription required)

Former World Footballer of the Year Zinedine Zidane has dismissed as "strange" Sir Alex Ferguson's claim in his new autobiography that Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard, 33, is not a "top, top player".

Sunday Mirror

Owen Hargreaves told a TV audience that he wants a private chat with Ferguson - who wrote in his book that the former England midfielder was one of his worst Manchester United signings.

the Independent

Former Swindon and Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio has been linked with a return to management at League One strugglers Bristol City.

Mail on Sunday

Sunderland's Scotland striker Steven Fletcher, 26, says the Black Cats players were treated like "kids" by Di Canio.

the Sunday Times (subscription required)

Manchester City playmaker David Silva, 27, says he is baffled that his former Valencia team-mate Juan Mata, 25, is not playing regularly for Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.
Mail on Sunday

Sunday Mirror

Romelu Lukaku has put in some powerful performances since joining Everton on loan from Chelsea - and the 20-year-old striker smashed up a video game controller after losing a game of FIFA 14 to team-mate Kevin Mirallas.

Metro

Former England midfielder David Beckham is coping with life after football by obsessing over how to cook the perfect risotto.

the Sunday Times (subscription required)

Former Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway allowed one of his players to pay his frequent fines by direct debit.

Mail on Sunday

http://www.lucy-pinder.tv/forum/images/ ... 3-9349.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EastLondonHammer

Re: sunday's news 27th october includes west ham

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Thanks CH.

:crest:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Thanks CH, have a good day
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Cheers CH, enjoy the rest of your weekend mate.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Cheers CH. Enjoy your Sunday and batten down the hatches for the big ol' storm tonight!
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, much appreciated. "Come On You Irons." :crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Paper Talk: Blues renewed Roo swoop

Stoke boss Mark Hughes was left fuming by Javier Hernandez's dramatic winner for Manchester United.
Meanwhile, United manager David Moyes may be willing to let £15m summer signing Wilfried Zaha go out on loan in January.
Liverpool's Luis Suarez fired the Premier League's first hat-trick of the season as West Brom lost 4-1.
Tony Pulis wants £2m a year to become the new manager of Crystal Palace.
Owen Hargreaves wants face-to-face talks with Sir Alex Ferguson over allegations in his book that he was one of the former United manager's worst signings.

Gus Poyet hopes to return as Newcastle's hoodoo man today in the Wear-Tyne derby.
Javier Hernandez was Manchester United's supersub hero in a fightback 3-2 win over Stoke.
Zinedine Zidane has told Sir Alex Ferguson that his negative verdict about Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is wrong.
Former England U21 manager Stuart Pearce has confirmed his interest in the vacant Crystal Palace job.
Arsenal are plotting a £7m January bid for West Brom's 26-year-old midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu.
Everton are poised to make a £6m bid for Feyenoord's 21-year-old defender Bruno Martins Indi.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will make a £35m swoop for Manchester United ace Wayne Rooney in the New Year.
Liverpool are ready to battle Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal to sign AC Milan's out-of-favour 20-year-old striker Stephan El Shaarawy.
Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher has spoken out about the "weird" world of Paolo Di Canio ahead of today's derby clash with Newcastle.
Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski, 25, is being offered to Premier League clubs for a cut-price £7m to prevent him joining rivals Bayern Munich on a free transfer next summer when he will be out of contract - Man United, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all interested.
Newcastle and Spurs are leading the chase for 24-year-old Basel keeper Yann Sommer who will be available for around £3.5m in January.

Manchester United boss David Moyes will successfully end his £15million pursuit of Everton's England star Leighton Baines in the January transfer window. The Toffees will turn to Swansea's Ben Davies and Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand as possible alternatives.
Brendan Rodgers hailed hat-trick hero Luis Suarez for a "wonderful" display as Liverpool breezed past West Brom.

Manchester United are not thought to have offered Wayne Rooney a new contract because they do not want to commit £70m on keeping him at Old Trafford.
Tottenham are working on secret plans for a new 65,000-seat multi-purpose stadium that would allow them to share with a London-based NFL franchise.
Former Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio has been linked with a return to management at League One strugglers Bristol City.
Manchester City star Yaya Toure has been invited to talks with FIFA's anti-racism chief today over the row that has raised the prospect of a boycott of the 2018 World Cup by black players.

Manchester United have issued an unreserved apology and opened an internal investigation following the publication of a swastika-style club logo on a weekly email sent to supporters.
Paris St-Germain are planning to test Chelsea's resolve with a January bid for 25-year-old Spain international Juan Mata.

Manchester United manager David Moyes declared last night that an extraordinary late victory reminiscent of the Sir Alex Ferguson era could finally launch the club into a new era of success, despite a performance against Stoke City which at times was desperate.

The head of FIFA's anti-racism task force will meet Yaya Toure today to hear at first hand his experience of being racially abused by CSKA Moscow fans.
On the day Manchester United showed they still have the ability to come from behind and turn losing situations into winning ones at Old Trafford, the executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, has spoken for the first time about the club's activity, or lack of it, in the summer transfer window - explaining that the perceived failure to land Cesc Fabregas had to be conducted in public because of how Barcelona operate, and claiming United dealt with the Wayne Rooney situation in "absolutely the right way".

Sir Alex Ferguson is wanted by both ITV and the BBC as a pundit for their coverage of the World Cup in Brazil.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Blow Bubbles wrote:Cheers CH. Enjoy your Sunday and batten down the hatches for the big ol' storm tonight!

not here they never get it right lol
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Cheers CH, have a great day :crest:
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Thanks CH - top work as always.

Here's hoping for some points today!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

The reason Manchester United have not agreed to a new deal with Wayne Rooney is that they do not want to commit £70million on keeping the player at Old Trafford.

Rooney is looking for an improvement on his current £250,000-a-week salary and would want a five-year contract to stay at the club.

But although Rooney’s form has dramatically improved this season - after a major dip during the last campaign, explained by a breakdown between the player and former manager Sir Alex Ferguson - the club remain reluctant to make such a massive financial commitment to a man who is now 28 years old.
Expensive: Manchester United did not want to commit financially to Wayne Rooney

Expensive: Manchester United did not want to commit financially to Wayne Rooney

The club’s hand is strengthened by the fact that while it was widely known Rooney wanted away in the summer, only two teams displayed a genuine interest because of the phenomenal financial commitment. But Rooney’s failure to put in a formal transfer request meant that neither Chelsea nor Paris St Germain could push a deal through.

And new United manager David Moyes made it clear that he would not sell to Chelsea. That will remain the case during the January transfer window, too.
Form: After a fallout with Sir Alex Ferguson, Rooney has enjoyed a resurgence this season under David Moyes

Form: After a fallout with Sir Alex Ferguson, Rooney has enjoyed a resurgence this season under David Moyes

Rooney didn’t want to move to Paris in the summer and now that the French authorities could impose a 75 per cent tax band on earnings of over £1million a year, a move to PSG is a very unlikely option.

So United won’t be rushed into offering Rooney a deal of anything like he wants, even if his sell-on fee (of around £20million) drops every month until it expires 20 months from now.

Arsenal are ready to battle Tottenham for Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke when the January transfer window opens.

The Gunners continued their title campaign with a 2-0 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday, albeit with 10 men.

But despite their impressive form, last week’s home defeat in the Champions League to Borussia Dortmund reminded Arsene Wenger that, for all their attacking flair and options from midfield, they still lack a world-class striker to break down the top teams.

Wanted: Christian Benteke is being chased by both Arsenal and Tottenham

That Wenger had to resort to bringing on Nicklas Bendtner from the bench to chase the game against Dortmund emphasised that point.

While their £42.5million signing from Real Madrid, Mesut Ozil, has enhanced Arsenal upfront, the Germany international is not a prolific scorer. Benteke, though, has continued to prove he is exactly that for Aston Villa.

The Belgium international striker was available in the summer for around £18million but at the time there was a reluctance from the Gunners, and indeed Spurs, to sign him on the basis that he might have been a one-season wonder.
Lucrative: After a prolific first season with Villa the Belgian signed a new contract

Lucrative: After a prolific first season with Villa the Belgian signed a new contract

So Benteke took the option to improve his wages and sign a new deal with Villa, who in turn can now command a fee in the region of £28million for the player.

Sportsmail revealed last week that Tottenham, who have also targeted Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez, are interested in Benteke.

But, as they proved with the terms given to Ozil, Arsenal are now prepared to pay the sort of wages that would enable them to win an auction over Tottenham for the striker.

Real Madrid’s out-of-favour striker Karim Benzema is on offer to Premier League clubs for an inflated fee of £42million.

Madrid want to recoup the rest of the money they spent on Gareth Bale by selling the France striker. It is understood that at least three English clubs have been contacted - Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea.
Heading for England? Real Madrid could sell Karim Benzema to recoup what they paid for Gareth Bale

Heading for England? Real Madrid could sell Karim Benzema to recoup what they paid for Gareth Bale

But it appears Arsenal and Spurs are more keen on Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke. While publicly Jose Mourinho says he is happy with his current strikeforce he would still like to bolster it.

But it is unlikely he would want to get close the fee that Madrid seem to think they can command for Benzema.

Martin O’Neill has emerged as the new favourite to take over as manager of Crystal Palace. I understand Palace owner Steve Parish has been advised by at least one of his trusted inner circle to approach O’Neill who has been out of work since leaving Sunderland last season.

Tony Pulis was an initial target but it is understood the former Stoke boss has indicated that he is not keen on moving to London.
That way to London: Martin O'Neill could soon be on his way to Crystal Palace

That way to London: Martin O'Neill could soon be on his way to Crystal Palace

It is also likely that Welshman Pulis feels he is better off biding his time and awaiting developments at Cardiff, where Malky Mackay’s position is hanging by a thread.

For many, the Palace job may also seem like a poisoned chalice but more travelled managers like O’Neill are less sensitive to black marks of relegation on their CV. O’Neill is also wanted by Ireland to become their new manager.

But he has been urged to make up his mind soon. If O'Neill turns down Ireland and takes the Palace job then Ipswich’s Mick McCarthy could be in line to return to the Ireland hot seat.
On hold: Former Stoke manager Tony Pulis was the favourite for the Palace job after Ian Holloway's departure

On hold: Former Stoke manager Tony Pulis was the favourite for the Palace job after Ian Holloway's departure

Should that happen then Tony Mowbray, recently sacked by Middlesbrough, would be favourite to take over at Ipswich - such is the nature of the managerial merry-go-round.

If O’Neill doesn’t take the Palace job then the club may turn to Neil Warnock, who left the club three years ago shortly after they went into administration.

I BET

Since they meet in the big Capital One Cup last-16 clash on Tuesday, Arsenal and Chelsea are both a decent 7-1 to win the trophy. I'm backing the Gunners. Manchester United are 4-1 favourites while Spurs are a decent shout at 9-2.

Luke Shaw and Kieran Gibbs are set to be given the chance to stake their claims for a World Cup place next summer.

Leighton Baines has now ousted Ashley Cole as England's first choice left back.

And England manager Roy Hodgson is considering whether it is better to take a younger No 3 as understudy to Brazil than Cole, who has been capped 105 times by England and represents the past not the future.
Luke Shaw
Kieran Gibbs

Battle: Luke Shaw and Kieran Gibbs are both in the mix for a place in England's World Cup squad

Both Shaw and Gibbs could be given playing time in the forthcoming friendlies against Chile and Germany. Shaw will also be a target for Manchester United in January if the club fail in their second attempt to lure Baines from Everton.

I am hearing

Gus Poyet’s 18-year-old son Diego is one of the rising stars of the English game and is ready to commit his international future to England.

Diego was born in Spain and his Dad was of course a Uruguayan international. But Diego, currently at Charlton, has already played for England Under 17s and is ready to declare for England not Spain or Uruguay if he progresses.

It has been suggested Diego will move to join dad Gus at Sunderland but Arsenal have also shown an interest in the player.
Rising star: Gus Poyet's son Diego has been capped at Under 17 level for England

Rising star: Gus Poyet's son Diego has been capped at Under 17 level for England

I am also hearing

That Jamaica have made it known that they would like Ravel Morrison to declare his international allegiance to them.

But West Ham’s Morrison is set to turn them down and is poised to make his senior England debut in the friendlies against Chile and Germany next month.
Native: Ravel Morrison is ready to commit his international future to England despite interest from Jamaica

Native: Ravel Morrison is ready to commit his international future to England despite interest from Jamaica

I SAY

Monday: Rio Ferdinand and Roy Hodgson were late call-ups to the FA commission. This smacks of tokenism. A clumsy PR airbrush job.

Tuesday: Fergie’s book launch was greeted by some as if it’s the new Satanic Verses. As Ferguson later pointed out on Channel 4, the psyche in football has become far too fragile. Jon Snow then compared Fergie to Stalin. For a moment Fergie looked a bit fragile.

Wednesday: Wake up to the news Roy Keane has hit back at Fergie, saying his old boss doesn’t know the meaning of loyalty. This is the same Roy Keane who walked out on his country at the 2002 World Cup.

Thursday: Yaya Toure urged players to boycott the 2018 World Cup unless Russia acts over racism after he suffered abuse in Moscow. Now FIFA must prove their 'No to Racism' campaign is not just a cosy PR stunt.

Friday: Brendan Rodgers goes into a hissy fit over some of Ferguson's opinions - saying what goes on in the changing room should stay there. This is the same Rodgers who opened the doors to the Liverpool dressing room for a TV documentary last year.

It is 150 years ago that the first football match under FA rules was played. The game between Barnes and Richmond ended up 0-0. Hardly the best start, but the game has caught on a bit since.

On Saturday night, the FA celebrated the anniversary with a lavish bash in London. A big theme of the evening was based around history, heritage and romance.

But one increasingly wonders whether the modern FA has lost sight of their main purpose - the be the custodians of the game, not a commercial vehicle.

Most of the much maligned 'old buffers in blazers' (like former chairman Bert Millichip) have been driven out by Hugo Boss suit types, like Greg Dyke, who seemingly put emphasis on how best to generate more money rather than to help produce footballers and protect the sport.

So as congratulatory toasts were raised on Saturday, a serious question ought to have been raised too... What exactly is the raison d’etre of the FA in the 21st century and is it still fit for purpose?

The FA should focus on what it has been about for most of the last 50 years if they want to make sure it doesn’t go to the wall within the next 15.
By royal appointment: The Duke of Cambridge met England manager Roy Hodgson at the FA150 gala

By royal appointment: The Duke of Cambridge met England manager Roy Hodgson at the FA150 gala

Back Heel

Sir Alex Ferguson's new book is not only a best-seller, it has caused a media frenzy. Bizarrely, some journalists are even complaining Fergie has been a bit too frank. Talk about killing the goose.

Yes, the timing of publication could have been better given it casts a shadow over successor David Moyes so soon. Then again, why not get it over and done with while Moyes at least has a bit of a honeymoon period left?

Rarely has an autobiography of any sort attracted such interest and inspection.

When the book was launched and Ferguson held court at a press conference in London's Pall Mall, it was akin to listening to the sermon on the Mount: 'The Gospel according Fergie', as the Manchester United manager of 27 years responded - sometimes sharply - to questions on the big issues he had raised.
Hard hitting: Sir Alex Ferguson's book caused a stir after it was released this week

Hard hitting: Sir Alex Ferguson's book caused a stir after it was released this week
LIBERO

The FA could save a lot of time and money with their commission into trying to solve the 'ills' English football by just listening to Dennis Bergkamp.

Bergkamp identifies one of the fundamental problems is the FA’s very own badge and course-obsessed coaching system and the must-win culture of club academies.

Indeed many of the 'systems' were brought in by former FA technical director, Howard Wilkinson who of course sitting on this commission.

In his recently published book 'Stillness and Speed', Bergkamp points out: 'If I look at my coaches in the youth at Ajax, with all due respect they were two elderly men who would stand at the side of the pitch, shouting a few things.

'So in a way you create your own career, you create your own development, and that helps you later on. Whereas now there are a lot of coaches, everyone has got their badge, they all think they are Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger, even with the 12 and 13-year-olds.

'They know exactly what to do, what kind of exercises they have to do with the kids, and in a way they don't have to think for themselves any more. It is all done for them. It's a problem because they don't think for themselves. If they get a new situation, they look to someone as if to say, "What do I have to do now?" I believe that is over-coaching. It's too much. Let them have their freedom. You have to create the environment where they can be unique and not a clone.'

The 44-year-old former Arsenal star and now coach at Ajax then turned his attention to how results obsessed so many youth academies are. 'You have to win these games, so the coach is going to manage to win the game instead of developing the player.

'In my opinion it should be totally the opposite. Sometimes you put your strongest player on the bench just to let others shine. Or you put a right-footed player who can't do anything with his left on the left side and force him to use his left foot. Of course in that game you will probably lose because you don't use your strongest players in their strongest position, but in the end you have a player who used his left foot when he was 12 and 13 and 14, and he can use both feet when he comes into the first team. That's what we have at Ajax and I really stand behind that.'

What a pity Bergkamp, who is destined to take charge of Arsenal’s youth development when Liam Brady leaves the club, has not been consulted by the FA. Unless, that is, they are afraid of what he has to say.

Fergie lifted the lid on why David Beckham had to go, how Keane lost the plot, his loathing of Liverpool and Rafa Benitez, his admiration for Cristiano Ronaldo, why he turned England down twice... the explosive revelations went on and on, there was barely enough space on sports pages or even web sites to cope with the headlines.

Yet in the feeding frenzy, one name was distinctly absent from scrutiny.

He will be in there somewhere of course and it will be fascinating how much credit or otherwise Ferguson pays to this player who, more than any other, shaped the silverware-laden, 38-trophy Fergie era which began in 1986.

His name - Eric Cantona.

While home-grown players Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes were major and constant themes through the glory years, it was Cantona, to borrow a line from Ian Drury, who was the catalyst who sparked a revolution.

Remember, when Cantona joined United in December 1992 they had yet to win a league title under Ferguson. In fact, the previous season Cantona had been a major influence on Leeds United winning the last Division One Championship.

When Cantona arrived, United were in contention but looked as though they would blow it again. By the end of the season they had landed the first Premier League title, United's first top-flight title in 26 years.

Cantona turned a very good team into what would become a great one. He added a different dimension to the side, not just in the way he played but with his attitude. Confidence, bordering on arrogance, is often the characteristic of champions and Cantona had it in spades.

He injected that into a highly talented United team that had, at crucial times, been pitted with self-doubt. He did so with supreme skill, style counter-pointed by brooding menace and sometimes raw aggression. Cantona’s goals and guile shaped United not only for that season but even after he retired five years later.

In many ways, even with a language barrier, it was Cantona the rebel from Marseille who understood and interpreted the message Ferguson the rebel from Glasgow was trying to put across to the rest.

Ferguson spoke at length about Cantona in his first autobiography 14 years ago. But Cantona’s part in the United story and Ferguson’s success remains vital.

And all this from a player who Ferguson had not even considered buying. To remind you, the shock £1.2 million move from Leeds United in the winter of 1992 came about because Leeds chairman Bill Fotherby rang United asking whether they could buy left back Dennis Irwin.

Ferguson said no. But a few days later rang back and asked if Cantona was available.

At the time, Mark Hughes and Brian McClair had been in erratic form. Summer singing Dion Dublin had broken his leg. Bids to sign David Hirst, Matthew Le Tissier and Brian Deane had all failed.
Superstar: Eric Cantona helped shaped Sir Alex Ferguson's era of success at Manchester United

Superstar: Eric Cantona helped shaped Sir Alex Ferguson's era of success at Manchester United

Fotherby informed manager Howard Wilkinson who much to the chairman’s shock agreed to sell his maverick striker.

So, Cantona, L’enfant Terrible as he had been known during a troubled time in his native France, became Un Devil Rouge and to the United fans would become Eric the King.

In this second autobiography Ferguson inevitably pays a lot of attention to events since the Treble season of 1999 a year after Cantona had departed. And as he has shown there are plenty of tales to tell.

He points out that Cristiano Ronaldo is the most talented player who has played under him in his years at United. But in the grand scheme of Ferguson’s golden reign as Manchester United manager, Eric Cantona remains the most significant player.

FOOT ON THE BALL

Even if Brendan Rodgers should have displayed a stiff upper lip in reaction to Alex Ferguson’s barb about Liverpool you can understand him defending his players.

But when Rodgers suggest that, if as Fergie claims Liverpool are eight players short of a title winning side, then Manchester United are 10 light, it just ridicules anything he has to say on the subject. Foot on the ball, fella.

Y- Factor

Why is that major football leagues around the world continue to allow Sepp Blatter to rule FIFA like a Totalitarian state?

In a speech this week to the Oxford Union, Blatter said: 'Perhaps you think I am a ruthless parasite sucking the life blood out of the world and out of football. The Godfather of the FIFA gravy train. An out of touch, heartless schmoozer.

'There are those who will tell you that FIFA is just a conspiracy, a scam, accountable to nobody and too powerful for anyone to resist.

'There are those who will tell you of the supposed sordid secrets that lie deep in our Bond villain headquarters in the hills above Zurich, where we apparently plot to exploit the unfortunate and the weak.
Speaker: FIFA president Sepp Blatter gave a speech at Oxford Union

'They would have you believe that I sit in my office with a sinister grin, gently stroking the chin of an expensive white Persian cat as my terrible side-kicks scour the earth to force countries to host the World Cup and to hand over all their money.'

And the punchline?

Er, there wasn’t one really. Blatter added: 'I know I am far from perfect and that we at FIFA must always look to get better at what we do. We have worked to make FIFA more accountable and transparent.'

Why wait any longer? The Premier League should lead the way in ousting Blatter the tyrant.

By the way

I thought it was a wind-up at first. But no. For their Champions League match against Real Sociedad, Manchester United tried to install a singing section to spice up what is becoming an increasingly tame atmosphere at Old Trafford.

I still vividly recall being in Rotterdam in 1991 when United won the Cup Winners' Cup as the Fergie era started to roll out the silverware and the stadium rocked to the sound of thousands of Manchester fans singing the James anthem 'All sit down'. Brilliant. Inspired. From the heart and soul of real Reds. Not orchestrated.

But in recent years, the club warned those ruffian types who liked a good old sing-song hat if they stood up in the stands when they got a bit excited then they faced getting thrown out.

The prawn sandwich brigade, which has now become the prawn sushi set, have seen to it. The message all sit down (and shut up) has become too literal.
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Cheers CH, and as you know, it is my pleasure to help you out with pics!

The Phil Brogan story is a great read. I really hope the lad Morrison is not talked up too much though. It is far too early for England talk really. If he keeps playing well for West Ham and improves towards the end of the season it may be worth a shout. For now though i wish they would leave it.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

cockneyhammer wrote: Tottenham are working on secret plans for a new 65,000-seat multi-purpose stadium that would allow them to share with a London-based NFL franchise.
News which has quietly slipped under the radar. Not one pile sunk at the Northumberland Park Development.

I predict that we will look back in 5 years' time and Levy will have royally ****ed Brady over.

Cheers CH, nice to have a bit of dub with my grub. It's a little known fact that Lee Perry cut 2 of his best albums a stones throw from the Boleyn.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

Manchester City star Yaya Toure has been invited to talks with FIFA's anti-racism chief today over the row that has raised the prospect of a boycott of the 2018 World Cup by black players. Read more.

THE SUN ON SUNDAY

Mark Hughes was left fuming by Javier Hernandez's dramatic winner for United.

Liverpool's Luis Suarez fired the Premier League's first hat-trick of the season as West Brom lost 4-1.
THE SUNDAY TIMES

A virtuoso display by Luis Suarez moved Liverpool up to second in the Premier League table while Arsenal continue to set the pace at the top.

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

Manchester United have issued an unreserved apology and opened an internal investigation following the publication of a swastika-style club logo on a weekly email sent to supporters.

THE OBSERVER

The head of FIFA's anti-racism task force will meet Yaya Toure today to hear at first hand his experience of being racially abused by CSKA Moscow fans.

On the day Manchester United showed they still have the ability to come from behind and turn losing situations into winning ones at Old Trafford, the executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, has spoken for the first time about the club's activity, or lack of it, in the summer transfer window - explaining that the perceived failure to land Cesc Fabregas had to be conducted in public because of how Barcelona operate, and claiming United dealt with the Wayne Rooney situation in 'absolutely the right way'.
THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

Manchester United manager David Moyes declared last night that an extraordinary late victory reminiscent of the Alex Ferguson era could finally launch the club into a new era of success, despite a performance against Stoke City which at times was desperate.

England performed far better in the opening game of the World Cup than their woeful preparation promised, but they were still no match for the tournament favourites.
DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will make a £35m swoop for Manchester United ace Wayne Rooney in the New Year.

Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher has spoken out about the "weird" world of Paolo Di Canio.
SUNDAY MIRROR

Gus Poyet hopes to return as Newcastle's hoodoo man today.

Javier Hernandez was Manchester United's supersub hero in a fightback win over Stoke.
SUNDAY EXPRESS

Manchester United boss David Moyes will successfully end his £15million pursuit of Everton's England star Leighton Baines in the January transfer window.

Brendan Rodgers hailed hat-trick hero Luis Suarez for a "wonderful" display as Liverpool breezed past West Brom.
SUNDAY PEOPLE

Sir Alex Ferguson is wanted by both ITV and the BBC as a pundit for their coverage of the World Cup in Brazil.
Wayne Rooney scored as Manchester United came from behind to dump Stoke City 3-2.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

doc will deffo give you a bell this week been so busy at work
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »