The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by James P »

Pulls up Trees wrote:For every current STH or regular attendee saying that they will not go to Stratford, I bet there is at least one if not more that would become an STH because we are at Stratford in a new stadium with great transport links.

Me being one.
Let's hope so. As we need to practically double our attendances to fill the OS we'll need about 2-3 new STHs for every current one who walks away.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Not sure they'll be season tickets as we understand them now if we got the Olympic Stadium.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

James P wrote:
Let's hope so. As we need to practically double our attendances to fill the OS we'll need about 2-3 new STHs for every current one who walks away.
If indeed any of them actually do.... a lot of big talk on here....
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If we get the OS i'm going to get 3 or 4 tickets just to make sure I have space to set up my telescope.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3023 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Pulls up Trees wrote: If indeed any of them actually do.... a lot of big talk on here....
Yep - from people who have been STH , home and away for years .I think I've earned the right to have a say .

Remind us why Stratford would be OK for you to bother whilst the Boleyn ain't .
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Pulls up Trees wrote:If indeed any of them actually do.... a lot of big talk on here....
Some will. STHs are falling across all clubs, even those not changing stadiums. In a period of attendance retraction, we're seeking massive growth. Brave/Naive*

*Delete as applicable.
barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes

Post by barlimanrob »

Edit. Double post.
Last edited by barlimanrob on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes

Post by barlimanrob »

I know this has been mentioned before but the reality doesn't seem to have sunk in.

By 'retractable' do you mean 'temporary?'

Surely, by definition, 'retractable' would need somewhere to retract. Was this facility incorporated into the stadium plans? No.

Would it be 'possible,' taking into consideration that the area they would need to retract into, is part of the solid structure of the stadium? No.

For 'retractable' I propose 'temporary.'

Then we get into the angle of rake of the lower tier.

Ps. I'm also 100% in agreement that a proper Olympic legacy needs to be left behind for East London.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2656 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

barlimanrob wrote:I know this has been mentioned before but the reality doesn't seem to have sunk in.

By 'retractable' do you mean 'temporary?'

Surely, by definition, 'retractable' would need somewhere to retract. Was this facility incorporated into the stadium plans? No.

Would it be 'possible,' taking into consideration that the area they would need to retract into, is part of the solid structure of the stadium? No.

For 'retractable' I propose 'temporary.'

Then we get into the angle of rake of the lower tier.
Rob, it'll be like at school if parents came to watch the nativity play or something, they'll just put some orange plastic chairs out. Kids will sit cross legged on the floor.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

whu92 wrote:
define unsuccessful
in their case
Ka garcon!!
westhammer32

Post by westhammer32 »

What is an Olympic Park without an Olympic Stadium? Do we need the debate to go any further than that?

West Ham are the only ones proposing to stay true to the Olympic legacy with a running track in the stadium - and we know it will work.

I keep reading about 'white elephants' but the only elephant in the room is the one that suggests it is okay to rip up the track and bulldoze the Olympic Stadium to the ground - and in its place build a run-of-the-mill football stadium for a club that is over 10 miles away from the East End. Now, that would be crazy.

Spurs claimed the other day that the decision should not be based on emotion. I disagree.

I know as well as anyone that business is about the bottom line, the numbers and how they stack up - but when you have all that in place in a strong, secure and sound bid as we do, it still has to feel right.

Good financial sense must sit side by side with honest sentiment.

In fact, emotion can often drive a financial plan forward. The legacy of the Olympic Stadium affects us all. We have paid our taxes and have a vested interest in what happens after 2012.

When David Gold and I came home to West Ham United after taking Birmingham City from the third tier of football to become an established Premier League name, we made the Olympic Stadium our priority.

Initially, I didn't know if it could work but our due diligence, fans and the experts we have consulted at every step soon convinced me.

Everything adds up and we are all now together on the starting line of a fantastic adventure. There is real excitement in the air and we just want to get going.

It is right that we have a proposal that will make it possible for a multi-sports venue to be at the heart of the Olympic Park. Anything else simply won't be the Olympic Stadium.

Anything else runs the risk of damaging the nation's reputation around the world and affecting the commercial viability of the wider legacy vision.

If you believe in something, you will work harder and for longer to make it a success. You have to care. Lord Coe cares. He was emotional and full of sentiment when delivering the Olympic legacy promise which resulted in us winning the 2012 Games, against the odds. He cares as much as us about honouring that promise. Demolishing a feat of engineering and expertise that cost half-a-billion pounds and then knocking up a plain football ground in its place is about as cold and clinical as it gets. And, by the way, doesn't make financial sense.

No wonder those who propose that option want the emotion stripped away and instead are choosing to patronise the tens of thousands of loyal Hammers fans who know a thing or two about atmosphere.

We will be able to answer their desire for affordable tickets and better access at a world-class stadium that is fitting for a club that produced three World Cup winners.

The fact we will be staying in our borough to do so just makes the case even more compelling.

After £90million of conversion, we'll have great sightlines - no seat will have a worse view of the pitch than Wembley Stadium - and a new roof designed to create intimacy. I have no doubt that this stadium will succeed.

The opportunity this country has to take a massive long jump forward will only come round once in two or three generations.

I am a father of two boys and we owe it to young people across London to preserve the integrity of an iconic venue that would be the focus for the aspirations of many.

It won't just be about sport but about education and culture. Are we really going to drive a bulldozer through all of that?

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said: "All I care about is moving the club forward". I think we all know that is his sole motivation.

Living and working locally, I make no secret of wanting the best for West Ham United but to do that while helping UK Athletics, Essex Cricket, the hundreds of schools that we are already working with and an area that so desperately needs regeneration is a great opportunity. That is what I care about.

Sure I want it to be a financial success because the more it is, the more money will go straight back into the community and to the public purse.

That's why we are equal partners with Newham Council.

This isn't some private plan with offshore banks and tax exile investors waiting in the wings to profit from the UK taxpayer like myself. We all have our own sporting story. My dad, Wing Commander Eddie Sullivan, devoted his life to English amateur boxing and refereed internationally. Made an MBE, he was proud of being given a royal honour for something that he loved doing every single day.

In a way, we as a nation have all been given a royal honour.

With the Games entrusted to this country in Her Majesty's name - the Olympic Stadium at the heart of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is a medal for us all.

It would lead to money being ploughed in locally while providing a vibrant global destination.

That's why 12 Olympic boroughs and dozens of MPs across all political parties are publicly supporting our bid. They know the importance of matching our financial clout with their desire
to care for their communities is a win-win.

At the same time, my club would grow in a way that our fans - we have 700,000 supporters on our database and a 17,000 season-ticket waiting list - and worldwide name deserves, and national sports like athletics and cricket would get a major lift. This is fundamentally about what it would do to kick-start five regeneration projects in four boroughs. It is all about London.

I spent my formative years in Forest Gate and Stratford and did my economics degree in Mile End. Everywhere you go - now as it was back then - there are people striving to better themselves against all the odds.

People who want to take the emotion out of the East End clearly need a history lesson or two.

We have our field of dreams at last and no one should be allowed to take it away.

Thats direct from David Sullivan.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Hammer110 wrote: Nope you are not alone there me and I believe Gidea Park Hammer are in the legacy camp. And off course sometimes wealthy people sometimes like to leave a legacy that they will be remembered by.
Yes, I am truly in the Legacy camp.

I am also a great supporter of the Olympic Stadium as a stadium built for a purpose.

I get tired of people saying that we should screw athletics, or we should not be bending over for athletics. People need to realise that this country will do well out of the Olympics. Whilst Athletics is not the only sport featured at the Olympics, it is the most commercially visible, and is really the central part of the Olympics. In a time of reccession, the economy will recieve a much need boost in 2012. We also have witnessed the total redevopment of a virtual wasteland in East London. Go to Stratford and you see the genesis of the largest urban park built in Europe in years, you will see one of the most visually stunning aquatics centre around, and you will see a World Class Velodrome. What was an eyesore only seen when travelling through Stratford, will be a popular part of London for generations. It should become a centre of sporting excellence.

The 2012 was not only seen to be an inspiration to London, but an inspiration to the World. After the excesses of Athens and Beijing, London was showing the World that an Olympics could be sustainable without having to break the bank. Rio have already taken a lot of inspiration from London for their games in 2016.

Without Athletics, none of the above would be possible, So why should they be then told that we are going back on our commitment and shunted off back to Crystal Palace?

Perhaps promises now are meaningless, but how can we be critical of FIFA when we are so happy to break the pledge with gave in Singapore?

So what if Athletics does not attract 100,000 fans to every meeting. Swimming is hardly the biggest spectator sport, yet Australia invest fortunes in academies to encourage excellence. They say obesity is one of the biggest threats to health this century, something like Stratford be an inspiration.

I have always been of the view that Stratford should retain the original plan. Reduce to 25,000, and share with activities that can make the Stadium viable. 20/20 Cricket, concerts etc can all be hosted there.

Yes, I love West Ham, but I am one of these people that try to see the wider picture
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Georgee Paris wrote:If we get the OS i'm going to get 3 or 4 tickets just to make sure I have space to set up my telescope.

:lol:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

OLDUN wrote:OAPs wil be allowed to bring their deck chairs and sit in the long jump pit.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

People are questioning the fact that athletics will only have use of the track for 20 days that is for events and that is probably more than enough, one thing being forgotten is to hold world class events there must be warm up track, to which athletics will have 365 days access to, indeed a community track is mentioned in today's PR.
Faded & Dead

Post by Faded & Dead »

Pulls up Trees wrote:For every current STH or regular attendee saying that they will not go to Stratford, I bet there is at least one if not more that would become an STH because we are at Stratford in a new stadium with great transport links.

Me being one.
interesting, but i can't see it. Why don't you have a season ticket at the moment. Queuing at UP? car parking? Don't want to be too close to the pitch? :wink:

Seriously mate, why?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Funny how so many people have been posting massive essays ever since MEM got quite rightfully bum licked a few pages back
joyful

Post by joyful »

dear god, david sullivan thinks he's morphed into Winston Churchill. :)
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1313 likes

Post by davids cross »

OLDUN wrote:OAPs wil be allowed to bring their deck chairs and sit in the long jump pit.
westhammer32

Post by westhammer32 »

joyful wrote:dear god, david sullivan thinks he's morphed into Winston Churchill. :)
Thats what I was thinking wonder if he will get a Union Jack Jacket to go with the famous claret one