The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by manstev »

AJ wrote:Can someone answer the following:

As the OS was designed to be reduced to 25k post games, how much would that have cost, plus what would be the estimate amount to knock the whole thing down altogether? - the original plan to reduce to 25k would be very cost efficient as the stadium was designed to be dismantled down to this capacity. To knock the whole thing down would be considerably more, a few million for sure.

Plus does anyone know if say we got a billionaire owner on board, if we would be allowed to knock the place down and rebuild it from scratch incorporating both athletics and football i.e. built in retractable seating & steeper stand banking. - who knows. But up until the Olympics have finished everything to do with the Olympic Park, and all the Legacy commitments will be highly scrutinised and very political. Post games the eyes of the world and the IOC will be on Rio. London will be an afterthought. I would imagine there will come a time (3,4,5 years?) when the Stadium and its use will be off everyones agenda, as long as that Legacy commitment is still met in some form.

I just seem to be getting the feeling that the plan is get into the OS on the 'cheap' sell club to billionaire or 'oil company' who then build a stadium that we want :think:
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

[quote="AJ"]Can someone answer the following:

As the OS was designed to be reduced to 25k post games, how much would that have cost, plus what would be the estimate amount to knock the whole thing down altogether?

Plus does anyone know if say we got a billionaire owner on board, if we would be allowed to knock the place down and rebuild it from scratch incorporating both athletics and football i.e. built in retractable seating & steeper stand banking.

I just seem to be getting the feeling that the plan is get into the OS on the 'cheap' sell club to billionaire or 'oil company' who then build a stadium that we want :think:

I am for the move but we will not own the stadium so we are not really getting it on the cheap as such as we will pay rent and be sharing its use.....
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

If we do get the OS and on a rent of 2m a year, then what would be the expected ticket prices? The club said ticket prices would be cheaper, but how cheap can they go?

For some people the tickets would need to be very cheap to offset the running track affecting the viewing distance, but if you go too cheap then the money generated from fans would be less than what can be made at the Boleyn.

:|

Would you buy a ticket for £20 at the OS? = £1.2m per match (if full) (and if all adults)

Whilst £30 tickets for a 30k attendance = £900k (again if all adults paying)

I wonder what the projections are for tickets sold to kids / given away to schools that would only bring in a £1 per seat, 5k at the Boleyn? 20k at the OS?

Start selling adult tickets at the OS under £20 and I think we would be raking in less money than tickets sold at the Boleyn, but would thousands of adults pay ove £20 to watch a match at the OS?

Whats others thoughts on what the prices are likely to be? How much would you pay for a ticket?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

AJ,

They said the tickets will be the cheapest in the Premiership
AJ

Post by AJ »

Yea Why Not wrote:AJ,

They said the tickets will be the cheapest in the Premiership
Was that for any type of banding seating? Or the seats behind the goals
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

AJ wrote:Was that for any type of banding seating? Or the seats behind the goals
They said something a long the lines of "we will have the cheapest seats in the league". So i'd fully expect our ticket prices to be lower than everyone elses
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

YWN - I'd imagine that will apply to sitting in the worst seats imaginable, which will be in a different post code from the pitch. The price on any seat with a decent view will be a lot higher.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

EvilC wrote:YWN - I'd imagine that will apply to sitting in the worst seats imaginable, which will be in a different post code from the pitch. The price on any seat with a decent view will be a lot higher.
Well thats lucky then seeing as there won't be any seats with a decent view :lol:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Yea Why Not wrote: Well thats lucky then seeing as there won't be any seats with a decent view
:lol:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:They said something a long the lines of "we will have the cheapest seats in the league". So i'd fully expect our ticket prices to be lower than everyone elses

If we ever have an adult season ticket below the likes of Wigan and Blackburn (249 for season) then I'll eat my hat. Just won't happen, even for the seats that require Patrick Moore's telescope to see the pitch.
AJ

Post by AJ »

what about keeping the boleyn seing as the oplc are now putting up the conversion cost and we only rent the os for big matches or games in europe? or when the team are challenging the top 6 in the premiership? :|

as its 2m a year wouldnt 1 match at the os cover that outlay? (if full)
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Even the Martin Tyler is taking the piss out of the Olympic Stadium
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

A definite no on this one, we aren't gonna fill the ground, I'm not doubting our support, we have one of the best supports in the country, but we haven't got a fan base such as Man United or Arsenal.
Stay at Upton Park.
COYI !!!!
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

MD_HM wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good watch that :thup:
m-h

Post by m-h »

Is 50-60,000 West Ham supporters realistic week in week out.

Honest question.

Global rebranding would have to take place imo for that to happen, and it doesn't come cheap........

to repost MD_HM's link.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

new poll needed now IMO, everything has changed again and I think that the result would be much different to the one above.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Denbighammer wrote:new poll needed now IMO, everything has changed again and I think that the result would be much different to the one above.
Can only poll once the OPLC or west ham have revealed the plans for the stadium, or if no plans are revealed by 1st week of January. And if that is the case the fans will just have to go with gut instinct.
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

Ideally any poll should take place once we have 1. full details of the tender and 2. what we are offering to do with the stadium, so a vote in cast based on as full a knowledge of the facts as possible. However, the full details of our bid may not be released before a decision is made. Putting aside the rights and wrongs of that, if the poll is put up before 1 and 2 are available, a simple yes or no poll is insufficient. The various options should be reflected in the poll. For example, someone may so no in a straight yes-no poll, but yes if there's a plan to provide retractable seating.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

mywhufc wrote: Can only poll once the OPLC or west ham have revealed the plans for the stadium, or if no plans are revealed by 1st week of January. And if that is the case the fans will just have to go with gut instinct.
I doubt there is any concrete plans for anything yet, they'll wait until they get it before doing anything, it's the West Ham Way.