The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by brownout »

So if no money for retractable seats are we getting a two sided stadium?
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Just found this Hertha Berlin video. Shows what a great view there is at the Berlin Olympic stadium and their fans do make a great atmosphere...

http://www.tinyurl.com/253ftf
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Mike420 wrote:Just found this Hertha Berlin video. Shows what a great view there is at the Berlin Olympic stadium and their fans do make a great atmosphere...

http://www.tinyurl.com/253ftf
rick astley vid? :? unfunny c@nt
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Wasn't intended for you :wink: .
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

I'm sure David Dein is still shittin in his boots over us movin to the OS... :?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

hadleighhammer wrote:I'm sure David Dein is still shittin in his boots over us movin to the OS... :?
West Ham v Doncaster Tues Feb 2015

Will fans please note that only the lower tier will be opened for this match.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Pop Robson wrote:
West Ham v Doncaster Tues Feb 2015

Will fans please note that only the lower tier will be opened for this match.
And only on one side of the ground...

:lol:
billybonds

Post by billybonds »

It's a massive mistake of epic proportions for a football club to go and play in an athletics stadium? Does anyone remember the view from behind the goal at the old Wembley? Miles away from the pitch and can't see a bloody thing - great!! Well those of you who want to go to the Olympic Stadium, look forward to great views of a running track not a football pitch! We're close to the action here, as are Trafford United, and the La La's of Anfield. Even the new grounds like the City of Manchester Stadium and The Emirates take the fans too far from the pitch as they are, and they were purpose built (Eastland converted)!! But an athletics stadium - think again it will be terrible for this club. Lets the spuds have it, they'll never fill it and it'll look stupid on elly with rows and rows of empty seats.
Benfleet Pete

Post by Benfleet Pete »

There was a good piece on London Tonight the other day where their reporter travelled to Rome to watch Lazio at the Olympic stadium. All their supporters said that any club would be mad to move football to a stadium with a running track. There were 30000 there for a game and it looked truly awful.
There was also another bit on the news from Stratford, some young rap johnny called Tynee Strida or something, taking happy snaps between the pitch and the front row of the stands (i.e. by the running track). As the camera turned I had to squint to see where the pitch and stands started. He could have been standing in the middle of a supermarket car park for all I knew.
There appears to be only three people on this planet that actually (pretend to) think its a good idea to move there.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Benfleet Pete wrote: There appears to be only three people on this planet that actually (pretend to) think its a good idea to move there.

They must have posted on here using multiple user names and voted in the poll on this thread.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Benfleet Pete wrote:There was a good piece on London Tonight the other day where their reporter travelled to Rome to watch Lazio at the Olympic stadium. All their supporters said that any club would be mad to move football to a stadium with a running track. There were 30000 there for a game and it looked truly awful.
There was also another bit on the news from Stratford, some young rap johnny called Tynee Strida or something, taking happy snaps between the pitch and the front row of the stands (i.e. by the running track). As the camera turned I had to squint to see where the pitch and stands started. He could have been standing in the middle of a supermarket car park for all I knew.
There appears to be only three people on this planet that actually (pretend to) think its a good idea to move there.
I know a couple of Roma fans who quite like it there.

My flatmate is also from Porto Alegre and supports Gremio who have a running track. He had a seasont ticket at West Ham with me and he prefers Gremio's stadium..

Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Looking forward to going to watch West Ham at home, and making it an all day event again instead of a get in and get the f*ck out while you can type experience we have now. Have people who are moaning about the view even bothered to look at how great the surrounding area is going to be with bars along canals etc, i personally don't go just to watch the overpaid, overhyped ponces it's a bonus if they earn their dosh during the game to me. The whole West Ham experience includes a build up and a post match drink up, and in the very near future that part of the experience is going to go up a notch or two, so for that i'm more than happy as this is an area where no one wanted to go, but visiting supporters will now think lucky c*nts to have all this at their disposal.

I'll be spending more time in the East of London now on matchdays like i used to before Legoland Towers and definitely more time out of the stadium than in it regardless of view, just like i have done at The Boleyn Ground in the last 20 years.

Man up and stop being all Euro '96 about it.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Side of Ham wrote:Looking forward to going to watch West Ham at home, and making it an all day event again instead of a get in and get the f*ck out while you can type experience we have now. Have people who are moaning about the view even bothered to look at how great the surrounding area is going to be with bars along canals etc, i personally don't go just to watch the overpaid, overhyped ponces it's a bonus if they earn their dosh during the game to me. The whole West Ham experience includes a build up and a post match drink up, and in the very near future that part of the experience is going to go up a notch or two, so for that i'm more than happy as this is an area where no one wanted to go, but visiting supporters will now think lucky c*nts to have all this at their disposal.

I'll be spending more time in the East of London now on matchdays like i used to before Legoland Towers and definitely more time out of the stadium than in it regardless of view, just like i have done at The Boleyn Ground in the last 20 years.

I'll be spending from 11am-11pm in the pub Sunday. Will be in the same pub watching the game when we move to the OS, and my mates who will be giving it a season in the OS will stay drinking there to. Poncey chain wine bars and bistro's on a shopping estate with people popping in for a some pinot grigio and quiche as a break from their shopping are not my kind of thing, even if they are yours. I usually laugh at the plastic teams with stadiums ditched into the middle of a shopping estate, and used to think for the grace of god at least it's not happened to my club....

Now if we had a decent stadium, I'd put up with that poncey ****. But we don't. So I won't.

Anyway, how do you go for the whole day if you think now (as you must have done for years, as nothings changed recently in the surrounding area) we have a "get in and get the f*ck out while you can type experience we have now"?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Side of Ham wrote:Looking forward to going to watch West Ham at home, and making it an all day event again instead of a get in and get the f*ck out while you can type experience we have now. Have people who are moaning about the view even bothered to look at how great the surrounding area is going to be with bars along canals etc, i personally don't go just to watch the overpaid, overhyped ponces it's a bonus if they earn their dosh during the game to me. The whole West Ham experience includes a build up and a post match drink up, and in the very near future that part of the experience is going to go up a notch or two, so for that i'm more than happy as this is an area where no one wanted to go, but visiting supporters will now think lucky c*nts to have all this at their disposal.

The people moaning about the view couldnt give a toss for the surrounding area, they could plant claret n blue grass and they still wouldnt care, its the view inside that counts, and the 35 metres between the edge of the stand and the edge of the pitch, the west ham experience is about the inside of upton park, what goes on outside is nothing to do with football.
Suicyde

Post by Suicyde »

billybonds wrote:Lets the spuds have it, they'll never fill it and it'll look stupid on elly with rows and rows of empty seats.
They won't have it though, they'll have a purpose built stadium in it's place.

And they would probably fill it.

For the record. ;)
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

brownout wrote:So if no money for retractable seats are we getting a two sided stadium?
No extended roof neither, going by the posts about tonight's supporters meeting

"Ian Tompkins confirms he is looking at retractable seating and extending roof as part of £95M refit of Olympic stadium.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Where will out vocal support come from seeing as the upper tiers behind the goals will be closed and the lower tier is very shallow? Also giving away 6000 seats to be school children will dilute it even more. Really think this move will shift our supporter base to more like Chelsea full of day-trippers who add nothing. I'd happily take a few years in the championship to stop the move
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Pop Robson wrote:
No extended roof neither, going by the posts about tonight's supporters meeting

"Ian Tompkins confirms he is looking at retractable seating and extending roof as part of £95M refit of Olympic stadium.
Posted by Rio who attended:
The conversion will include extending the roof, developing hospitality and customer facilities. Retractable seating is being explored, if implemented though this will mean further extension of the roof.
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p2998500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I am sure the club will be looking at all sorts of options .

The problem is how far do people expect £95m to stretch ?

A detached 4 bed house in my town is £1m .

Toilets, Bars, Offices, TV screens etc etc.......£95m won't go that far .I don't hold out any hope whatsoever for retractable seating - especially as it won't help anyone behind them get any closer to the pitch .
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

the pink palermo wrote:I am sure the club will be looking at all sorts of options .

The problem is how far do people expect £95m to stretch ?

A detached 4 bed house in my town is £1m .

Toilets, Bars, Offices, TV screens etc etc.......£95m won't go that far .I don't hold out any hope whatsoever for retractable seating - especially as it won't help anyone behind them get any closer to the pitch .
Thats a nice town you live in Pinky!

A four bed house in Stratford will set you back about £350,000.

I'm hoping £95 million will provide what is required....