The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by the pink palermo »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Thats a nice town you live in Pinky!A four bed house in Stratford will set you back about £350,000.

I'm hoping £95 million will provide what is required....
Hope is one thing, reality another .

The town where I live was specifically referenced by Ian Tompkins last week with regards to travel to the new stadium .

It ain't far away , and is a solidly West Ham town - exactly the core market they are seeking .£95m will not get very much I'm afraid, and I believe Ian Tompkins realises this .

Forget retractable seats lads .Won't happen .
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Will be no retractable seats, no claret n blue coloured seats, fans only on two sides of the ground, see you at the away games everyone..............pardon?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

the pink palermo wrote:
It ain't far away , and is a solidly West Ham town - exactly the core market they are seeking .£95m will not get very much I'm afraid, and I believe Ian Tompkins realises this .

Forget retractable seats lads .Won't happen .
the problem is he wont admit it. This time last year Karen Brady gave an interview saying it would cost between 150,180 million.
then they say its going to cost 95, the only reason i could get for the halving is the market was telling them how much it would cost but now they say it can be done cheaper. first they went Boro market now they go to Rathbone market.
How much is the ground worth, because app 100% of the sale of the ground is going into the kitty, so the club value the ground at 20 million as we get 35 from the government and Newham bring 40 to the table, we only need to get 20 from the sale of the BG.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

mywhufc wrote:the problem is he wont admit it. This time last year Karen Brady gave an interview saying it would cost between 150,180 million.
then they say its going to cost 95, the only reason i could get for the halving is the market was telling them how much it would cost but now they say it can be done cheaper. first they went Boro market now they go to Rathbone market.
How much is the ground worth, because app 100% of the sale of the ground is going into the kitty, so the club value the ground at 20 million as we get 35 from the government and Newham bring 40 to the table, we only need to get 20 from the sale of the BG.
They will of course spend more than £95m , but construction companies rob you blind with "hidden " extras - so I don't have an issue with the club low balling ther budget .

One of the issues is it is a multi purpose venue : the only event who would want retractable seating is football .

They simply ain't going to spend the money on it .The logic will be if the mid tier at Wembley is the same distance as the front of the upper tier at Startford from the centre circle , then that is good enough for them .

The money will be spent on tarting up bogs, hot dog stands etc - corporate facillities which will bring more money in .

They aren't bothered about our view .The stadium will be full more often than not .Thy know it, we know it .

Ryanair prove it .
freddies shears

Post by freddies shears »

AJ wrote:Will be no retractable seats, no claret n blue coloured seats, fans only on two sides of the ground, see you at the away games everyone..............pardon?

Is the right answer. :thup:
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

All this moving us too the next level and being a corporate club is b*llocks and something that many do not want.
I expect a fair few protests about this next year.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:All this moving us too the next level and being a corporate club is b***ocks and something that many do not want.
I expect a fair few protests about this next year.
if i see any protest i will be stunned, inside the ground it is virtually impossible to protest, i know as i have tried and the stewards jump on me, last time nearly litraly, threaten to not only throw me out but ban me. funny though as after wards the stewards agreed with what i wanted to do as they didnt want us to leave boleyn towers, but their hands were tied by the club. Only following orders apparently, no such thing as freedom of speech inside the ground.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Thats a shame mywhufc where was this. I'm thinking off getting a few flags made highlighting my views on the move, the stewards in the TBL don't tend to leave the crowd to itself so well see what happens
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Trev brooking upper far east corner.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

TPP you seem to be having a certain amount of difficult grasping the difference between construction cost and sale prices (never mind comparing apples with eskimos).

Most construction cost is the expensive and time consuming groundwork. That is already done.

People who know tell be that a new build stadium with cantilever roof should cost in the region of £900 a seat (excluding site acquisition etc). On that basis, £95m is a fairly generous budget.

Obviously I'd want a construction contract similar to the one for the Millennium Stadium - that nearly bankrupted John Laing, because they failed to spot that it was a fixed-price, no claims.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

"This move to the Olympic Stadium is the best thing that's ever happened to West Ham. The sooner we move in the better. Gold, Sullivan and Brady are our saviours. Barry Hearn and Daniel Levy are evil....It's baarbaric that anyone should oppose this move"
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Napoleon Solo wrote:Image

"This move to the Olympic Stadium is the best thing that's ever happened to West Ham. The sooner we move in the better. Gold, Sullivan and Brady are our saviours. Barry Hearn and Daniel Levy are evil....It's baarbaric that anyone should oppose this move"

You are Baa king!!!! :wink:
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

2, 4
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The last few months ive slowly started to get excited about the move despite being in the "anti" camp. Then today I got to see a web cam picture of the OS with the running track now in place, and boy does it look awful. The distance from the pitch to the stands is huge. The redevlopment after the games will have to be dramatic in order for anyone in the ground to have a half-decent view. :shock:

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olymp ... mera-2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Pedant wrote:TPP you seem to be having a certain amount of difficult grasping the difference between construction cost and sale prices (never mind comparing apples with eskimos).

Most construction cost is the expensive and time consuming groundwork. That is already done.
Pedant

No, I don't have difficulty in grasping where the bulk of construction costs are incurred .

We've got half the pro stratford posters deluding themselves about retractable seating .That will not happen .

We've got another raft of posters completely ignoring the rake of the lower tier of seats .

We've got another group telling us the club "needs to move or we'll get left behind" , ignoring completely the facts relating to how few clubs in Europe get watched by more than 50,000 people every week .

We've got the eternal optimists claiming it will be a gold mine , ignoring the fact we are struggling to shift tickets in the Boleyn despite significant discounts compared with last year .

And, now, we've got you telling us £95m will be a generous budget to convert it .

Righto .
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

I'm sorry, but you are the one using house prices as a guide to how much a construction budget will buy, so you are really in a position to get snarky.

Seriously, at least learn the basics of how property and construction are related.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Wembley1966 wrote:2, 4

A bit heavy in the thigh.
bthammer

Post by bthammer »

I voted yes, have been a yes all along. Reasons all emotional, logic does apply to my 45 years of WHUFC suffering:- hoping for better finances after years of neglect and being a labeled small team, when our support is significantly better than another London team who just happen to have money, Internet hits have proven that we are one of the biggest support clubs behind the top 4 ofc; better transport links main line as well as tube; improved facilities, need a bigger seat now days and quite fancy a walk through the park before the game :); I am not banking on cheaper ticket prices, but there may well be discounted seats to fill stadium; Barry Herne, need I say more; Spurs must not get the stadium as if they were that near to us I would be throwing up every week;
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The last few months ive slowly started to get excited about the move despite being in the "anti" camp. Then today I got to see a web cam picture of the OS with the running track now in place, and boy does it look awful. The distance from the pitch to the stands is huge. The redevlopment after the games will have to be dramatic in order for anyone in the ground to have a half-decent view.

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olymp ... mera-2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh dear, that looks terrible. And to think i was in the 'Pro' camp. :thdn:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Pedant wrote: Seriously, at least learn the basics of how property and construction are related.
Pedant - where in the Boleyn is your current seat ?

How do you think it will compare with what you are likely to get in Stratford ?

And do you honestly think £95m will transform a stadium that a few posters on this thread who were pro the move are now starting to realise will be a bad move ?