The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Locked

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
727
57%
No
412
32%
Undecided
139
11%
 
Total votes: 1278

User avatar
westham,eggyandchips
Posts: 15382
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Taking a walk with Anita Fifa...

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Yea Why Not wrote:Well near enough :lol: Our average gate is pushing 30k this season. Thats a decent turnout considering

95% of the stadium sold out on a cold Valentines evening. I doubt most Premiership clubs would manage that
Near enough is not good enough when the club has aspirations of filling a ground of 60k. You can paint it up any way you want mate, but im telling you now, WE WILL NEVER FILL THAT OS.

User avatar
beckton
Posts: 13568
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 pm
Location: Hanging on by my fingertips.

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by beckton » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote: You can paint it up any way you want mate, but im telling you now, WE WILL NEVER FILL THAT OS.


YES WE WOULD!

User avatar
westham,eggyandchips
Posts: 15382
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Taking a walk with Anita Fifa...

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:52 am

beckton wrote:


YES WE WOULD!
Not sure I like the green. :lol:

Seriously though, we've spent the best part of the last 30yrs being a "yo-yo club" and with that come lower attendances. The club propose a stadium that holds 60k, nearly double what the Boleyn holds now. Unless we're playing Man U, Liverpool, Spuds and Le arse every week how the hell do we expect to fill it?

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16501
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 pm

"It is a mess, the stadium, because it's a stadium designed with an athletics legacy that they are trying to shoehorn football into, "I would not think a Premier League team would want anything other than a stadium designed for football.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... dards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Posts: 56036
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:03 am

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm

New poll now in GD:

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
freddies shears
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: outside the wall

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by freddies shears » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm

And still some of you people think it is a good thing to sell our home ( a football stadium ) and go and rent the olympic stadium ( athletics stadium) 3 miles down the road and this will be of benefit to club and fans alike. Its a bit like trying to put an oblong pitch in a round stadium. But trains will be so much more reliable and i can eat paninis rather than pie n hash. I can see the appeal now, lets move. shame on some of you guys.

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Posts: 20842
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: care home dodger

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Darren Bent is out for three months, and the state of the pitch would appear to have played a part in it;
"The pitch was very heavy because of the rugby [league - Wigan Warriors played at the stadium seven days earlier]. It sapped the energy from a lot of players and Darren has been unlucky to go into one of the pieces of turf that has been dug up, " said McLeish.
Another reason not to go for a shared use venue.

User avatar
WHUTerry
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Epping

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by WHUTerry » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:30 am

freddies shears wrote:And still some of you people think it is a good thing to sell our home ( a football stadium ) and go and rent the olympic stadium ( athletics stadium) 3 miles down the road and this will be of benefit to club and fans alike. Its a bit like trying to put an oblong pitch in a round stadium. But trains will be so much more reliable and i can eat paninis rather than pie n hash. I can see the appeal now, lets move. shame on some of you guys.
If it's what's best for the club then we should move. If it isn't then we don't. A lot of questions need to be answered around reconfiguration, atmosphere, income, etc but if the terms are right then it's the right option. In terms of transport, the links are clearly better. It would be easier to dismiss the improved transport links if Upton Park had a reliable transport system i.e. trains stop there for every game, overground trains stopped there as well. The problem is that the current transport links to West Ham are a disgrace. Imagine a scenario where we have a 40-45k sell out and no trains stopping at Upton Park. It would be chaos. Parking would be a nightmare and would put a lot of people off.
It's easy to dismiss the transport issue if you're just going with your mates and can walk from a station further away. It's not something you can dismiss if you're old, are disabled, have a family, don't know the area well.

I like pie and mash and i even (strike me down) like paninis. Improved food facilities in and around Stratford will be a benefit because they'll make the whole day more appealing to families I believe.

While I understand the emotion of your 'shame on you' comment, we all want what's best for the club and, more importantly, its future, I firmly believe that if the deal is right, then moving is a no-brainer.

User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Posts: 40321
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Purveyor of Great and unmatched wisdom

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by the pink palermo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 am

WHUTerry wrote:if the deal is right, then moving is a no-brainer.
Ther's the rub though Terry .

If the first deal was "right" - and it may have already been subject to compromises , then how can the "new" deal be "right" ?

It will certainly contain more compromises .How far do you compromise before you say , sorry, it's too far away from the original deal ?

The club have not told us what the original deal was - huge assumptions are made by posters about naming rights etc , but can anyone explicity state they were ever part of the deal ? Or, even what they were worth? I know David Gold spoke about them at a Fans Forum , but could that have been in hope rather than reality .

As we don't know what the deal was, we don't know how much compromise there has been, but we will be left with a feeling of a hand me down bike on our birthday, not a new chopper .....

Oh, and Stratford station is already chronically overcrowded on some platfroms : try standing on platfrom 8 that feeds the stopping train to Essex at 10 pm at night .It's dangerous imo - stick another 5,000 fans on it within a 15 minute period , and we'll be queuing to get into the station, just like we are at UP station .

mushy
Posts: 14137
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by mushy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Oh, and Stratford station is already chronically overcrowded on some platfroms : try standing on platfrom 8 that feeds the stopping train to Essex at 10 pm at night .It's dangerous imo - stick another 5,000 fans on it within a 15 minute period , and we'll be queuing to get into the station, just like we are at UP station .
A very valid point, you also have to add in the fact that platform 8 is shared with the eastbound Central line, which is also heavily used at the best of times and even more so when West Ham are at home.
And where will people queue exactly?
The walkthrough from Westfield is not exactly the widest, you also have those that want to use the Jubilee to get to the District line.
Then there is the DLR. All within short distances of each other.
The station simply isn't big enough to cope.
I can see queues similar to those we have now, outside near the bus terminus somewhere.
Kicking out time during the games will be a severe test.

User avatar
WHUTerry
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Epping

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by WHUTerry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Oh, and Stratford station is already chronically overcrowded on some platfroms : try standing on platfrom 8 that feeds the stopping train to Essex at 10 pm at night .It's dangerous imo - stick another 5,000 fans on it within a 15 minute period , and we'll be queuing to get into the station, just like we are at UP station .
mushy wrote:A very valid point, you also have to add in the fact that platform 8 is shared with the eastbound Central line, which is also heavily used at the best of times and even more so when West Ham are at home.And where will people queue exactly?The walkthrough from Westfield is not exactly the widest, you also have those that want to use the Jubilee to get to the District line.
Then there is the DLR. All within short distances of each other.
The station simply isn't big enough to cope.I can see queues similar to those we have now, outside near the bus terminus somewhere.Kicking out time during the games will be a severe test.
.
I think you're reaching by using the 5,000 example. I go through Stratford and yes it gets ridiculously busy at times and i'm sure we may have to wait outside the station as will the 80k coming out each night during the Games, but the merits of Stratford far outweigh the negatives. Firstly, you can go in several different directions on several lines whereas at Upton Park it's East or West (that's when the station is open). The station has been improved to ensure it can cope with 80,000 people attending TE games. If it can cope with 80k, then getting 50-60k out shouldn't be a problem.
Also, you're focussing on the 'negatives' of Stratford station. Convince me that Upton Park offers a better transport solution. Can you explain how, with parking restrictions becoming tighter, potentially 10k more supporters attending matches and the often restricted access thanks to rail works, you propose Upton Park could be improved to deal with these issues, who would pay for improvements and how quickly those improvements could be made?

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16501
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Two queues at UP, one East and one West and shut the bloodd road (Green St) to traffic for 1hr before and after, job done

Still no driving to Stratford so no cars :lol:

mushy
Posts: 14137
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by mushy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

WHUTerry wrote: I think you're reaching by using the 5,000 example. I go through Stratford and yes it gets ridiculously busy at times and i'm sure we may have to wait outside the station as will the 80k coming out each night during the Games, but the merits of Stratford far outweigh the negatives. Firstly, you can go in several different directions on several lines whereas at Upton Park it's East or West (that's when the station is open). The station has been improved to ensure it can cope with 80,000 people attending TE games. If it can cope with 80k, then getting 50-60k out shouldn't be a problem.
Also, you're focussing on the 'negatives' of Stratford station. Convince me that Upton Park offers a better transport solution. Can you explain how, with parking restrictions becoming tighter, potentially 10k more supporters attending matches and the often restricted access thanks to rail works, you propose Upton Park could be improved to deal with these issues, who would pay for improvements and how quickly those improvements could be made?
I cannot say that Upton Park is a better transport solution.
I am just trying to forsee the issues at Stratford, whats the difference between queuing for an hour at Upton Park, or an hour at Stratford?
Funny you should mention parking restrictions, where exactly do you think you will park for the O/S?

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16501
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 pm

mushy wrote: I cannot say that Upton Park is a better transport solution.
I am just trying to forsee the issues at Stratford, whats the difference between queuing for an hour at Upton Park, or an hour at Stratford?
Funny you should mention parking restrictions, where exactly do you think you will park for the O/S?
We were taking about this the other day

Westfield has 5000 spaces but charge and will have some sort of restrictions in place, plus it could take ages to get out

There's meant to be 2000 spaces at the media centre on the OP, again that won't be for anyone

More than likely you'll have to park a bus or train ride away or a good 30min walk at least

The walk from the OS to Stratford station is a fair trek compared to UP

User avatar
brownout
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:26 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by brownout » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm

It will take longer to get out of the stadium and off the Olympic Park than it currently does to walk to East Ham. Look what it's like trying to get away from Arsenal now.
Then we'll have to queue for the station - no doubt all held up if just one platform is full.

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16501
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:47 pm

1 mile walk from the station to the OS West Stand

Image

Click on the thumbnail below for a bigger pic

Image

User avatar
Yea Why Not
Posts: 16954
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Yea Why Not » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm

O ****, wonder what the people who currently can't be arsed to walk to East Ham or Plaistow are going to do? :lol:

Thats inetresting stuff though Pop. Bet a lot of people will be shocked by that

User avatar
brownout
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:26 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by brownout » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

So allow up to 30 minutes to get into station.
20 minutes to queue (or 20 minutes to walk another mile to West Ham).
And those who currently drive will also have long walk.

adie
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by adie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

so it's gonna take the best part of an hour to get from stadium to station, looks like people will have to leave at half time rather than 5 or 10 minutes from the end of the game. So much for having better transport links !

Mr_Andersonn
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Mr_Andersonn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Isn't Stratford and Westfield as well as the Olympic Park part of the experience here. Some of you guys sound like you want a stadium platform!

Even 1 mile should take you lot no longer than 15 mins to walk briskly. Maybe it will help some to lose their bellies!

Locked