The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Locked

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
727
57%
No
412
32%
Undecided
139
11%
 
Total votes: 1278

User avatar
brownout
Posts: 9002
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:26 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by brownout » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Isn't Stratford and Westfield as well as the Olympic Park part of the experience here. Some of you guys sound like you want a stadium platform!

Even 1 mile should take you lot no longer than 15 mins to walk briskly. Maybe it will help some to lose their bellies!
I'm happy to walk a mile, and will probably walk the two to West Ham station, but this extra time has to be taken into account when the travel links of the OS are extolled.
And remember by then most of the work on the tube in East London will have been finished so the |District Line wont keep being shut.

User avatar
StiffUpper
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:41 pm
Location: Billericay

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by StiffUpper » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Measured the route along the Greenway from West Ham station and it's 1.25m to the same spot on the West Stand.
I'd guess about half would take that route and perhaps there's scope for some sort of park and walk down that way?

Edit: That planner who made the complaint to the EU. He criticised the location for the stadium, saying it was too far out. Said it should have been where the OlympicVillage is.

Agree with posters who point out weaknesses of Stratford Station and the design of the Westfield
Last edited by StiffUpper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adie
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by adie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

park over a mile away and walk ! That won't go down well, people moan about not being able to park around Upton Park area, can you imagine what they'd say if they had to park in Forest Gate ?

User avatar
Denbighammer
Posts: 9887
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Dodging, Dipping, Diving, Ducking and Dodging.

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Denbighammer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Isn't Stratford and Westfield as well as the Olympic Park part of the experience here. Some of you guys sound like you want a stadium platform!
'Part of the experience' might be quite jolly on a 3pm saturday kick off in August, less so on a wet, freezing-cold tuesday night in November after you've just been steamrollered by 0-3 by Man Utd. People don't want an 'experience', they want to go home!

User avatar
AJ
Posts: 7626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by AJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 pm

If we do go to the OS as it is what will people do re football, would you go, or only watch on tv or just give up on football or support a local non league team?

adie
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by adie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:29 pm

under 18s and as many away games as I can, if I'm lucky enough, pretty sure away tickets are gonna be in big demand. Probably watch our home games down the pub, I'd have a better view than those in the Olympic Stadium.

mushy
Posts: 14022
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by mushy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24 am

adie wrote:park over a mile away and walk ! That won't go down well, people moan about not being able to park around Upton Park area, can you imagine what they'd say if they had to park in Forest Gate ?
Forest Gate? You got to be kidding, Newham are increasing the CPZ's almost daily, there will be nowhere to park within a good few miles of Stratford by the time we get there.Your only choice will be private car parks (if you can find one).
I am not sure what the current percentage is of fans that drive (am guessing around 50). That means fifty per cent of our current fans would be forced onto public transport, which many think is no bad thing.Trouble is that a lot of people regard their cars as their own litle castles and refuse to go anywhere without them.
What would happen to these people? Or are they to be simply replaced along with everyone else?

adie
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by adie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm

this board think we can all be replaced and I suppose they got a point, we're all gonna die at some point.

User avatar
Hammer110
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:56 pm
Location: Dreaming 父 父

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Hammer110 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

adie wrote:this board think we can all be replaced and I suppose they got a point, we're all gonna die at some point.
No they don't, they think the minority who boycott the O/S can be replaced plus 10 or 20,000 extra and if they get it right they probably will.

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16411
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Hammer110 wrote: No they don't, they think the minority who boycott the O/S can be replaced plus 10 or 20,000 extra and if they get it right they probably will.
The ones that won't come now I guess ?

User avatar
Yea Why Not
Posts: 16954
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Yea Why Not » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 am

Paul Spice ‏ @ridgey2003
@ridgey2003 @DavidGoldWHU is it viable to increase capacity to 48,000 and stay " at home ". Will you have the decency to reply ?

11h David Gold ‏ @DavidGoldWHU
@ridgey2003 Paul its not financially viable to increase Upton Park to 48k. plus the police, the council, highways, H&S are all against it.

11h mywhufc ‏ @mywhufc
@DavidGoldWHU @ridgey2003 so what happens if the OPLC won't put in the seating you want, seats no further than they are at Boleyn, u said

10h David Gold ‏ @DavidGoldWHU
@mywhufc @ridgey2003 we stay at Upton Park DG

6h Darren Turner ‏ @whu647580
@DavidGoldWHU @mywhufc @ridgey2003 DG with the current debt,obviously we can't spend 10-20M on increasing East Stand,but in 5 years time?

34m David Gold ‏ @DavidGoldWHU
@whu647580 @mywhufc @ridgey2003 Now that might be a different story DG

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16411
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Pop Robson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

FIFA Football Stadiums Technical Recommendations & Requirements

Multi Purpose Stadiums

To accommodate these different uses, it is important not to change the stadium to an extent that has a negative impact on its primary purpose for football. For example, making the pitch considerably larger for another sport or adding a running track around the field can result in football spectators being much further from the playing field and removed from the action. This reduces their sense of involvement and engagement with the game and diminishes their excitement.

Pressure is often put on stadium developers to increase the field size or to include a running track. Occasionally, such requirements are unavoidable. Unfortunately, this will result in a much less successful facility than a football stadium that is specifically built around the football field’s dimensions.

Various attempts to provide a running track without destroying the stadium’s football ambience have been proposed and built, including retractable seating along the sidelines, an example of which can be found in the Stade de France in Paris. Most are very expensive to build and operate and/or have resulted in compromised sight-lines for one or both sports, even when the rake or angle of the seating has been made as steep as possible.

Perhaps the largest cities of the world, with very large budgets and the objective of hosting the Olympic Games one day, might be capable of satisfying the needs of football and athletics. For most, however, surrounding a football field with a running track in a modern stadium should be avoided.

Mr_Andersonn
Posts: 695
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Mr_Andersonn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Pop Robson wrote:FIFA Football Stadiums Technical Recommendations & Requirements

Multi Purpose Stadiums

To accommodate these different uses, it is important not to change the stadium to an extent that has a negative impact on its primary purpose for football. For example, making the pitch considerably larger for another sport or adding a running track around the field can result in football spectators being much further from the playing field and removed from the action. This reduces their sense of involvement and engagement with the game and diminishes their excitement.

Pressure is often put on stadium developers to increase the field size or to include a running track. Occasionally, such requirements are unavoidable. Unfortunately, this will result in a much less successful facility than a football stadium that is specifically built around the football field’s dimensions.

Various attempts to provide a running track without destroying the stadium’s football ambience have been proposed and built, including retractable seating along the sidelines, an example of which can be found in the Stade de France in Paris. Most are very expensive to build and operate and/or have resulted in compromised sight-lines for one or both sports, even when the rake or angle of the seating has been made as steep as possible.

Perhaps the largest cities of the world, with very large budgets and the objective of hosting the Olympic Games one day, might be capable of satisfying the needs of football and athletics. For most, however, surrounding a football field with a running track in a modern stadium should be avoided.
So what have we learned from this article? Nothing new I would assume...

Locked