How Much Have Spurs Cost Londoners?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

How Much Have Spurs Cost Londoners?

Post by hammersk »

We know that:

1. UK Athletics already had to withdraw its bid for the 2015 World Championships because of Tottenham's bid

2. Now, Spurs' challenges to West Ham’s selection as preferred bidder may mean that London will not be able to proceed with its bid for the 2017 World Athletics Championships either (final bids req'd end of August)

3. UK Athletics has already explained that they cannot fulfil their quota of events at the new stadium,
meaning that revenue from athletics events will not meet the budget.

But more importantly, why do clubs from Haringey and Waltham Forest continue to crucify the efforts of Newham residents, Newham council and East London in general to improve an historically deprived area?

The OPLC have themselves to blame for inviting a foreign bidder in the first instance.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Re: How Much Have Spurs Cost Londoners?

Post by bubbles1966 »

No matter how bad it gets at West Ham, I'm always able to console myself that at least we ain't them. :thup:
HomertonSpur

Post by HomertonSpur »

To be honest, most of us wish Levy would throw in the towel on the OS. The majority of our fans don't want it.

You are more than welcome to it.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Just like lasagnagate,the c**** cant accept defeat gracefully,its always someone elses fault,that is why i hate
everything about that shitty club.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

How much Spurs crap is on this forum at the moment?
:lol:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Im glad uk athletics is suffering, perhaps they should have bid for the stadium themselves. Time for us to abandon our plan . It was built to be just for athletics and that is shat is should have been
The thread is about londoners as well yet can't see anywhere in the opening piece where London is mentioned?
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

mywhufc wrote:Im glad uk athletics is suffering, perhaps they should have bid for the stadium themselves. Time for us to abandon our plan . It was built to be just for athletics and that is shat is should have been
The thread is about londoners as well yet can't see anywhere in the opening piece where London is mentioned?

Then you'd bettered read it again as it's mentioned twice......
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

mywhufc wrote:Im glad uk athletics is suffering, perhaps they should have bid for the stadium themselves. Time for us to abandon our plan . It was built to be just for athletics and that is shat is should have been
That's petty mywhufc. UK Athletics want what's best for athletics. That is the OS. Once it became clear that an athletics-only stadium was financially non viable, then they were always going to back us. If we abandon our plan, then what. It's been clearly argued why Upton Park will not be feasible long-term. I'm pleased that UK Atheltics were on board as it strengthened our case. I was a pro-OS poster as you know. With relegation looming, I'm even more in favour as we can't carry on as we are. A lot of things need to change but that's all underpinned by a radical, bold step, which is the move to the OS. Stay where we are (with the guaranteed consequence of Spurs in the OS) and I can only see a gradual decline over the next 10-20 years.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

WHUTerry wrote: That's petty mywhufc. UK Athletics want what's best for athletics. That is the OS. Once it became clear that an athletics-only stadium was financially non viable, then they were always going to back us. If we abandon our plan, then what. It's been clearly argued why Upton Park will not be feasible long-term. I'm pleased that UK Atheltics were on board as it strengthened our case. I was a pro-OS poster as you know. With relegation looming, I'm even more in favour as we can't carry on as we are. A lot of things need to change but that's all underpinned by a radical, bold step, which is the move to the OS. Stay where we are (with the guaranteed consequence of Spurs in the OS) and I can only see a gradual decline over the next 10-20 years.
i dont think we need to move to see decline in the next 10-20 years, its happening now, the fact that we are being relegated with the loss of earnings that brings if we dont go straight back up (which with the dismantling of the squad i cant see happening) we should abandon the move. there is a real possibility that we may not be in the championship in 2014,we could be in league 1 by then.bigger clubs than us have fallen further.
coys1882

Post by coys1882 »

Oldun wrote:Just like lasagnagate,the c***s cant accept defeat gracefully,its always someone elses fault,that is why i hate
Theres nothing graceful when money is involved.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

coys1882 wrote: Theres nothing graceful about Spurs.
Fixed for you. :thup:
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Oldun wrote:Just like lasagnagate,the c***s cant accept defeat gracefully,its always someone elses fault,that is why i hate
coys1882 wrote:
Theres nothing graceful when money is involved.
That statement sums up your club perfectly, should be your new motto.
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

mywhufc wrote:i dont think we need to move to see decline in the next 10-20 years, its happening now, the fact that we are being relegated with the loss of earnings that brings if we dont go straight back up (which with the dismantling of the squad i cant see happening) we should abandon the move. there is a real possibility that we may not be in the championship in 2014,we could be in league 1 by then.bigger clubs than us have fallen further.
Your fears are real, but the one reason the doomsday scenario hasn't happened, and won't happen is the OS.
As long as the judicial review doesn't overturn the decision, the prospect of the Stadium will keep us afloat.
If we lose it, then you will see the owners withdrawing their financial support.

The OS isn't ideal, but the idiots that want to hand E15 to N17 are signing our death warrant.