So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

Post by Pop Robson »

5000 of the 19000 retracable seats to be commercial, so 14,000 left for STH ?

From the last accounts, new ones due next week

Immediately on taking over we indentified that a move to the Olympic Stadium was the most important commercial deal we needed to secure. With a capacity of 60,000 of which 5,000 would be prime commercial seats,
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Pop Robson wrote:5000 of the 19000 retracable seats to be commercial, so 14,000 left for STH ?

From the last accounts, new ones due next week

Immediately on taking over we indentified that a move to the Olympic Stadium was the most important commercial deal we needed to secure. With a capacity of 60,000 of which 5,000 would be prime commercial seats,
Doesn't necessarily mean the prime commercial seats will be in the retractable section, in fact I would expect them to be in the "new" fixed boxes that will be part of the build. One of the things G&S identified early was the potential to sell alot more boxes and VIP packages, which won't be sat on retractable seating with us oiks.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
Doesn't necessarily mean the prime commercial seats will be in the retractable section, in fact I would expect them to be in the "new" fixed boxes that will be part of the build. One of the things G&S identified early was the potential to sell alot more boxes and VIP packages, which won't be sat on retractable seating with us oiks.
Where will they be then, upstairs behind the running track?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

mywhufc wrote: Where will they be then, upstairs behind the running track?
I wouldn't be surprised if the executive boxes (or whatever they call them) are in the fixed section of the stands. After all the people in them will be expected to be interested in the view and facilities rather than being as close as possible.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

mywhufc wrote: Where will they be then, upstairs behind the running track?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the new corporate areas nicely nestled in the new gap between the upper and lower tiers. :wink:
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

paulhs1 wrote:HH....so we have to move regardless of what we are moving into?!
In that case perhaps Chelsea should move into Twickenham, or Gillingham into Brands Hatch.
Both stadiums not fit for football of course but at least they can get more people in before they end up in the Rymans league.
Twickenham would be a Brilliant stadium to watch football in its when you leave to get home that the problems rise.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

spyinthesky wrote: Twickenham would be a Brilliant stadium to watch football in its when you leave to get home that the problems rise.
Does that remind you of anywhere?
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Truly the most ridiculous argument for moving, how people still cling to this as a reason for moving is beyond me. Last time I went to Twickenham it took me 2 hours to get out of the car park yet you don't here the RFU arguing to move to a new stadium, strange
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

If we move to the OS and carry on as we are now getting relegated every few years and plodding along then we might as well stay where we are, IF the move allows us to compete at the next level then depending on the plans I'm willing to embrace the move.

No different to living in an area on the decline and moving your family out of a home you've had for 30 years to a bigger, better new home with better prospects for your kids. Chances are your children and granny will at first be against the change, moving from what they have known all their life or got used to but once see the benefits will soon forget.

Interesting how much of our fan base has moved from the area for exactly those reasons...

Obviously if the plans and terms of deal are **** for us then I might not have the same view but let's wait and see what they come up with.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

You know what MD_HM for me that's pretty much it in a nutshell.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

It would be interesting to gauge what people think what is 'the next level' that renting the OS would be able to take us to?

As each stage of this sorry saga has played out it appears the top end potential financial benefits of renting a big stadium have gradually been stripped back.

Being a realist I think renting the OS will give us a similar capacity to Sunderland. I therefore expect us to be able to compete in mid table. Anyone who thinks renting the OS will enable us to compete with the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea is in my view dreaming an unrealistic dream. Renting the OS is more likely to enable us to compete with The likes of Fulham.

What the club have never attempted to explain is why we couldn't compete at the next level with a 40,000 capacity at the BG.

Just my view on 'the next level'.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

1mcavennie wrote:Just my view on 'the next level'.
Very good point.
40,000 would be fine - the rest of the capacity is for Karren Brady's ego.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Have you ever been to the ethiad ?
brownout

Post by brownout »

cockney farmer wrote:Have you ever been to the ethiad ?
I've been to the City of Manchester Stadium but refuse to call it The Ethiad. It's one of the better new grounds but was build with plan to convert for football - unlike the Olympic Stadium. It doesn't compare to Maine Road though.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Still no plans .

Still nothing to inform the fans en masse .

Perhaps the whole thing can be dragged out until the end of the season and the club consult .........absolutely nobody in any meaningful way .

Why do I get the feeling that behind the scenes lawyers are working overtime , and does anyone seriously think that after all this cloak and dagger stuff Brady will let the fans veto the whole thing ?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Pinky.

I bet you're a nightmare at Christmas.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

West Ham cannot and will not ever get to the level of challenging for top honours unless we get a big investor in. The OAS just won't cut it I'm afraid.

Will the OAS be an attraction for a new investor? Maybe, maybe not. Look at QPR, hemmed in their shoebox ground with one of the world's richest men as their owner. And I mean Mr Mittal, not Tony Fergobshite.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Francoisvander or else wrote:Last time I went to Twickenham it took me 2 hours to get out of the car park yet you don't here the RFU arguing to move to a new stadium, strange
Good Lord you andf logic don't share the same planet, do they?

The RFU were able to rebuild Twickenham (over several seasons) to a viable capacity -- 82,000. Eighty. Two. Thousand. (But they had to fight like dogs to get planning permission).

I like Twickenham - it's a terrific stadium. And we have absolutely zero prospect of being able to create something similar at UP.

Where do you propose the car parks at UP?
brownout

Post by brownout »

Where are the car parks for the Olympic Stadium?
Westfield Shopping Centre has car parks but they tend to be used by shoppers.
Stratford will be easier for some to get to by train but I'm not sure if it's claimed that the OS will be any better than UP for those who want to drive.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

brownout wrote:Where are the car parks for the Olympic Stadium?
Westfield Shopping Centre has car parks but they tend to be used by shoppers.
Stratford will be easier for some to get to by train but I'm not sure if it's claimed that the OS will be any better than UP for those who want to drive.
there is no provision for parking anywhere on the site, and never was going to be, was debated from the start about westfield shopping center being used as parking and the shops not being to happy about it, it was also originally also said that westfield would not allow foot access through the shops to the park after the games for football either

the scope of workls document on the second page of this forum outlines all the car parks that were for the games being either turned to parkland or developed into housing