NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Re: NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Post by WCpete »

It was frenetic and it was tight for most of the game, but I didn’t think it was a great game quality of play wise.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 am It was frenetic and it was tight for most of the game, but I didn’t think it was a great game quality of play wise.
Better drama than quality of play. Shanahan coached a bit scared at the end of the first half. Reid had a couple of brain cramps, or maybe it was Bienemy if he's the one calling plays. And didn't understand why they waited so long to pick on Richard Sherman, who looked lost and tired when they finally did. Thought Mahomes might have hurt his hand on the run in the first quarter when the ball got knocked out when he ran down the sideline. Lots of his short/intermediate passes were short or late, which is very uncharacteristic. Didn't think he played well enough to be MVP, but nobody else really stood out. A solid team effort I guess. Very happy for the Chiefs and their fans. They were the class of the old AFL and 50 years is a long time to wait for some glory.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 am Message to Clark Hunt:

Please buy West Ham United.

Thank you.

:crest:
Pfft, he owns FC Dallas and their fans want him to sell.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

WCpete wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 am It was frenetic and it was tight for most of the game, but I didn’t think it was a great game quality of play wise.
I disagree for large parts.

I thought the 49ers defence was masterful for the first 3 quarters and made the Chiefs offence look ordinary. Then the game swung and the Chiefs offence were utterly brilliant when they needed it. I think the only criticism you can make is the 49ers offence crumbled in the last 15, although the Chiefs defence stepped and saved their team.

At any point one of the 2 sides was top quality, I suppose you can argue both failed to produce a full 60 mins.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I don't know. When the coaching staff make so many mistakes, essentially inviting the Chiefs to take the game from them, it's difficult for me to consider the game a classic. Chiefs deserve credit for snatching the reins from SF, but it felt to me like Shanahan curled up in a ball and screamed, "HERE TAKE THEM".
Shanahan didn't trust his offense. He didn't trust the players that got him there and it showed.
He didn't give the ball to Mostert until the 2nd. After the games he had in the previous 2 games you take the ball out of his hands?
He didn't trust his QB. When you start calling plays that highlight to your QB that you don't trust him, you've made it very, very difficult to see a game out. That makes life much easier for a defensive coordinator.
He didn't get the ball to Kittle, perhaps their most dangerous weapon. The Chiefs had a scheme to keep him covered, but when you have a player who is that good, you give him the opportunity to make a play when the odds are against his making a play. Gronk made a career out of that. Kittle committed an egregious error with his offensive interference at the end of the 2nd qtr, but he didn't get many more opportunities beyond that.
Game management, time management and clock management were poor. Passed when they should have run. Run when they should have passed. Clock management, abysmal. Use of time outs timid.
So, yeah, there was drama but it felt like one team aided the other team in its own defeat and it was orchestrated from the sideline. Good game. Subjectively, not a classic.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Thekorean wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 am Pfft, he owns FC Dallas and their fans want him to sell.
Not using MLS as any kind of serious barometer of competence.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 pm I don't know. When the coaching staff make so many mistakes, essentially inviting the Chiefs to take the game from them...
Agree with this. And would take it a step further and say that this would have been more obvious had Mahomes had a better game passing. He missed at least a half dozen open throws. They can show Saleh jumping up and down all they want, the Chiefs found holes in their scheme. On the other side, it took Spags a couple of series to sort out the 9ers blocking schemes, but eventually managed to keep things under control.

And speaking of coaching, great story on Chiefs sourcing plays from 1948!!

Chiefs have more than one play from 1948 Rose Bowl in their playbook
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

The school I went to in the late 80's ran the single wing in D3 NCAC conference, not as a surprise look every once in a while, but as their full time offense. It was fun to watch. It confounded defenses even when they knew it was coming.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Entertaining SB. I thought the 49er's kind of fell apart in that last QTR. Wasn't unhappy about that as i wanted the Chiefs to win. 50 years of hurt ended. Maybe there's hope for West Ham after all :D
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I’ve been off work sick today so watched the game and thought it was a great match - nip and tuck until Q4 and possibly the 49ers were wary of the KC comebacks from the earlier post-season games. Deserved winners and some top performances across the field.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Anybody seen the new Rams logo?

Oh my days it is beyond terrible. Everybody hates it. Massive PR own goal.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm Anybody seen the new Rams logo?

Oh my days it is beyond terrible. Everybody hates it. Massive PR own goal.
The abstract horns have always been a great look, all the way back to the days when they were the Cleveland Rams

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm The abstract horns have always been a great look, all the way back to the days when they were the Cleveland Rams

Exactly mate. If it aint broke....
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Yeah, that new logo is pants. I like that they'r going back to blue and yellow though. That St. Louis gold and navy was just wrong.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WCpete wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 pm Yeah, that new logo is pants. I like that they'r going back to blue and yellow though. That St. Louis gold and navy was just wrong.
Yeah fair point.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

The new Rams/possible rejected chargers logo:

Also its been a while and the dust has settled on the Hopkins trade to the Cards. Read a number of opinion pieces and pretty much the consensus seems to be its a fleece job and O'Brien at the Texans puts grudges above what it actually best for the team.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

sanchoz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am
Also its been a while and the dust has settled on the Hopkins trade to the Cards. Read a number of opinion pieces and pretty much the consensus seems to be its a fleece job and O'Brien at the Texans puts grudges above what it actually best for the team.
O'Brien is an idiot. Everyone except Houston's owner can see it. He's a poor coach to begin with, and not having a general manager above him is incredibly asinine.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 am O'Brien is an idiot. Everyone except Houston's owner can see it. He's a poor coach to begin with, and not having a general manager above him is incredibly asinine.
When the back and front office is effectively being run by the same person, you lose some of the checks and balances you get in a healthier relationship where the HC and GM work hand in glove or at least can resolve any conflicts and move forward. O'Brien has stripped Watson of his best WR option and if in the draft he fails to get someone like CeeDee Lamb (to go someway to trying to placate Texan's fans) and then go big on a trade, he will be on the hot seat come end of the season you would like to think.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Some actual sports content on the horizon. Not games but the NFL draft is tomorrow. Even in normal times this dominates the sports news cycle. With the current state of affairs it will be even more of a focal point for sports fans. Giants are at #4 - am hoping a trade down is in the works but if we stay put I'm leaning towards Isiah Simmons. Haven't taken a linebacker in the first round since Carl Banks, and even though Simmons is hard to define he is a special player. You can find tackles all over the place, and there are always lots to choose from ones and plenty who are taken early don't work out.

At any rate, it will be interesting and a chance to have a much-needed mental break.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Andrew Thomas? Finished 11th I. The espn tackle rankings. Taken 4th. Hope the gmen k ow what they’re doing.