The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

playing orsett on friday too - anyone played there ?

£55 a round it wants to be decent
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:playing orsett on friday too - anyone played there ?

Never played there but they have held local Open qualifying there for years for a reason, it's supposed to be a top, top course.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

24 over par today, felt decent enough but triple bogeyed the last two holes.

Managed 3 birdies through which is my joint record, 2 of which were withington the top 6 stroke index so very pleased with that.
psychoscoredthelot

psychoscoredthelot wrote:playing woburn next tuesday for the 2nd time 8-)

Playing the marquess apparently - its set up for the womens PGA in a couple of weeks time
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

Won my first ever golf day last week at Abridge. 37 points. Was over the moon.
psychoscoredthelot

played the duchess as the greens were kept long on the marquess

lovely course was 10 over my handicap

had 5 birdie putts - and 3 putted every single one of them
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:playing orsett on friday too - anyone played there ?

Proper course mate :thup:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Playing Weybrook Park near Basingstoke after work today. First game for a few weeks hoping to get our 3 ball round in less than 4 hours before the sun goes down!
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Played stock brook manor today

28 points

Was really pleased considering how bad the rain was and also last night I may have broken my little toe lol, see how that feels next weeks

Buggies provisionally booked for my next 3 rounds incase
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Played at Toot Hill on Wednesday on a society day, course was in great condition and the greens were smooth firm and true. £40 for lunch, 18 holes and 2 course meal, great value. Scored 32 points with 3 blobs (all on par 3s where I didn't get a shot). My driving was the most consistent it's been for years, didn't hit one bad shot with ether driver or 3 wood. Also had 4 putts lip out so my games not in bad shape, hoping to get down to single figures by the end of the year.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's great when the driver starts working.

At our old gits roll-up clinic on Wednesday the pro had a look at our driving. He got me to widen my stance quite a bit and draw my right foot back a little, to promote a lower/flatter swing more from the inside.
The round that followed the clinic I gave it a go even though |I'd hardly had any practice with the very different feeling swing. I hit nine out of twelve driving fairways and added twenty to thirty yards with less effort, just swinging the club :D
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:It's great when the driver starts working.

At our old gits roll-up clinic on Wednesday the pro had a look at our driving. He got me to widen my stance quite a bit and draw my right foot back a little, to promote a lower/flatter swing more from the inside.
The round that followed the clinic I gave it a go even though |I'd hardly had any practice with the very different feeling swing. I hit nine out of twelve driving fairways and added twenty to thirty yards with less effort, just swinging the club :D
If it works use it!

Annoying thing about that technique I found was depends what pro you see.. for example the pro you saw suggested it.. butch Harmon suggests it for amateurs

However some pros are dead against it and insist on you hitting “correctly”

Half the challenge of lessons is filtering out what works and what doesn’t

On a lesson I feel like a low teen handicapper .. but factor in the walking , resting between shots, waiting for others, weather , different lies then makes it hard to take to the course
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Our pro is very 'player specific' in his tweaks. He had me widen my stance because it was too narrow, which I sort of suspected anyway (it makes it easier for me to achieve a full turn on the backswing, probably at the expense of stability). It wasn't a blanket "You must all widen your stance", far from it. We're all in our sixties and seventies (one is mid eighties, hits a nice draw off the tee) so text book pro swings are off the menu. His goal is to get us playing as well as we can with what we've got, rather than aim for some unattainable perfection.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Our pro is very 'player specific' in his tweaks. He had me widen my stance because it was too narrow, which I sort of suspected anyway (it makes it easier for me to achieve a full turn on the backswing, probably at the expense of stability). It wasn't a blanket "You must all widen your stance", far from it. We're all in our sixties and seventies (one is mid eighties, hits a nice draw off the tee) so text book pro swings are off the menu. His goal is to get us playing as well as we can with what we've got, rather than aim for some unattainable perfection.
Sounds like you should have a couple of one on one lessons with him. Was it Neil who was helping you guy's out? I had some lessons with Neil a few years ago, he was good. I know Luke a bit from hitting on the range there. Never had a lesson with him, but heseems very good wiht the juniors when I've seen him. I'm sure you know, but Luke's a West Ham supporter. He had a season ticket with his boy a couple of seasons ago, not sure if he still has.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

It is indeed Neil and his Wednesday morning 'senior clinic'. I've had a few lessons with him and as you say, he's very good. I saw Luke on a few occasions coming back from games during the first season at the bowl, I haven't been back since then so can't say if he still goes. I suppose I could always ask him!

Another pro there, Warren, tried qualifying for the European Tour but sadly didn't make it.

Have you played Hersham? Nice interesting course, not too long and easy walking.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Thought it probably would be Neil. Sounds like he's helped you out there with his couple of pointers. Amazing what a difference a couple of little tweaks make. I might try that out myself, my stance with the driver tends to be a bit narrow.
I used to get over to the range at Sunbury quite a lot, but have rarely been the last few years. LIke you I met Luke on his way back from some games, but not seen him on the train for a couple of years I reckon so wouldn't surprise me if he's given up his ST.
Yes, I have played Hersham, enjoyed it, a decent little course. Have you played Datchet? Worth a visit, its a 9 hole with different tees if you play 18. Very good value and some nice holes, I'd recommend it.
chelmsfordhammer91

Definitely recommend one on one lessons. The pros at the local driving range charge around 30 quid a half hour lesson or 120 quid for a block of 5.

I go with Steve Cardy, who also does a lot of work for the PGA and very knowledgeable.

Had my best round ever yesterday, 18 over par, including a triple bogey on the 17th. 6 pars (3 each 9), including a par on the stroke index 1 par 4.

Everything seemed to go well, the shots (I use a 3 hybrid rather than a driver), irons,chipping,putting all pretty good. I usually shoot between 24-28 gross so that was a very pleasant round. Tee'd off at 6.40, finished by 10.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Good scoring CH :thup:

Had our monthly medal today, 9 over after 14 then the wheels fell off and had two 7's in the last 4 holes. Cost me 1st place and £20 as well.

Stupid game.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Looking for some inspiration and tips from you golfing kumbers.

I've been badgered for the last few years by friends, family and work colleagues to take up Golf. Finally decided to give it a go and had my first lesson on Saturday with one of the pro's down at the range in Warley, Brentwood.
Went pretty well, actually enjoyed it. Was obviously a very simple intro as I've literally never hit a ball before apart from a couple of times down Top Golf.

Its my 30th this weekend and see it as a good opportunity to ask for either more lessons or some money towards some clubs. Anyone got any advice on clubs for a complete beginner? I had a look in American Gold last weekend and they do a starter set in there which seemed pretty good value for money (was a Wilson set, around £400 where you got Driver/Wood/Irons/Putter with Bag & protectors).

Any general advice or tips on clubs / lessons / gear would be great!!
chelmsfordhammer91

My eldest brother is in the same boat and is going to get a Wilson starter set. I think it was the x31 for about 250 quid. You won't need anything more advanced for at least a couple of years and comes with the driver/putter/bag etc. like the one you saw.

I'd recommend sticking with lessons, even every month or two, as at least you will be on the right path.

I started as a complete novice around 5 years ago, having fortnightly half hour lessons for the last 4 years. It's only really been the last year where I have come on enough to hit relatively consistent (still a couple of cuffs a round though), so persever.

Most importantly, no matter how bad you play or unlucky you get, remember it is for enjoyment so try to make the most of it and smile!