The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by thosewerethedays »

Ingrebourne links!
I knew coastal erosion was bad, but that’s ridiculous.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Sorry to get back to actual clubs again, but what are people's thoughts on the callaway mavrik range?

From a technical point of view, they ran some AI tests on around a million virtual head combinations to end up with a slightly different face for each iron to maximise efficiency of spin rate and speed.

Incredible technology. I'm now really tempted to get them instead of the rogues. Around 650 quid for a custom fit set, isn't cheap. It certainly in the mid price range.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:47 pm Sorry to get back to actual clubs again, but what are people's thoughts on the callaway mavrik range?

From a technical point of view, they ran some AI tests on around a million virtual head combinations to end up with a slightly different face for each iron to maximise efficiency of spin rate and speed.

Incredible technology. I'm now really tempted to get them instead of the rogues. Around 650 quid for a custom fit set, isn't cheap. It certainly in the mid price range.
Now days most clubs are the same, there isn't really a stand out set. Best thing to do is try a few brands see which suit you best

If there are 2 identical .. just pick the ones you think look best , a lot of club choice is personal preference
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The pro shop at Sunbury has just got the Mavrik fitting kit, which naturally I looked at. The first thing that struck me was how big the Max head is, it's about the size of my hand with a very thick topline. The standard Mavrik head is what I would call 'normal oversized game improvement', if that makes sense. Sadly they didn't have (or I couldn't find) a Pro head for comparison. Equally sadly I didn't get to hit one. Yet.

The lofts are worth looking at. The standard Mavrik 7i is 27 degrees. Not that long ago a 6i was 28 degrees. These are definitely aimed at those seeking distance. The Max has a more normal (for today) 30 degrees loft on the 7i, Callaway's thinking being Max is for maximum help, and getting the ball higher for slower swing speeds helps distance as the ball's in the air for longer. Looking at them I'd say the Max is a Big Bertha for people who don't want a Big Bertha. The Pro's 7i is 30.5 degrees, although I can't foresee many pros playing them.

There are already lots of reviews on Youtube, but I'd make a day of it by dropping the kids off at Chessington World of Adventures while you have a full (free, no obligation) fitting session at Callaway's UK HQ.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 pm The pro shop at Sunbury has just got the Mavrik fitting kit, which naturally I looked at. The first thing that struck me was how big the Max head is, it's about the size of my hand with a very thick topline. The standard Mavrik head is what I would call 'normal oversized game improvement', if that makes sense. Sadly they didn't have (or I couldn't find) a Pro head for comparison. Equally sadly I didn't get to hit one. Yet.

The lofts are worth looking at. The standard Mavrik 7i is 27 degrees. Not that long ago a 6i was 28 degrees. These are definitely aimed at those seeking distance. The Max has a more normal (for today) 30 degrees loft on the 7i, Callaway's thinking being Max is for maximum help, and getting the ball higher for slower swing speeds helps distance as the ball's in the air for longer. Looking at them I'd say Max are Big Berthas for people who don't want Big Berthas. The Pro's 7i is 30.5 degrees, although I can't see many pros playing these.

There are already lots of reviews on Youtube, but I'd make a day of it by dropping the kids off at Chessington World of Adventures while you have a full (free, no obligation) fitting session at Callaway's UK HQ.
Lofts are subjective now because they are so easy to hit and they go higher in air they had to crank the lofts to make the distance normal otherwise people would struggle with distance

I'd say go for a paid fit somewhere.. most places will knock the cost of fit off your irons if you buy

If you pay they already got their share and they aren't so worried about the sale .. you don't get pushed into a brand they get commission on etc

Lee porter in Chelmsford is suppose to be one of the most respected custom fitters in the area
chelmsfordhammer91

Funnily enough, Lee was recommended to me by my golf coach.

He charges 75 quid but has no ties or commission to any brands so fully independent.

Fortunately, I had a static fitting already done, and got numbers from coaching on a GC2, which showed either a regular or stiff flex will do. I wanted to just really know what length and like I need, which is 1.5in long and 3 degree upright.

Giving it until nearer my birthday as the father in law has roo my hints at wanting new clubs, largely by me repeatedly saying I want new clubs, so is going to bung me some birthday money to avoid the missus having a moan! What a gent.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:29 pm Funnily enough, Lee was recommended to me by my golf coach.

He charges 75 quid but has no ties or commission to any brands so fully independent.

Fortunately, I had a static fitting already done, and got numbers from coaching on a GC2, which showed either a regular or stiff flex will do. I wanted to just really know what length and like I need, which is 1.5in long and 3 degree upright.

Giving it until nearer my birthday as the father in law has roo my hints at wanting new clubs, largely by me repeatedly saying I want new clubs, so is going to bung me some birthday money to avoid the missus having a moan! What a gent.
If you know exactly what you want / need then you should be able to shop around a find a proper bargain which is always good

Joined ingrbourne on Wednesday, played 11 holes before coming in. Very nice course once it drys out lol however very tough due to the length of it.. didn't miss a fairway but was having 180 plus for a second shot constantly ...wind played it's part

Can't wait to get out again

It's very modern .. can book via app for the tee times (for 2 booked for Wednesday's coming) and can get course updates etc

Calender synced to Google to keep eye on comps
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Well that was a fun morning

need to get my cards in for a handicap

6 rounds of 9 they accept

dont know any members so got put in touch with someone

lovely bloke.. arsenal fan but cant hold against him lol

he steps up creams his drive 220 down middle

I step up cream it 200 down middle just behind him

walked off with a bogey..

finished with 14 points for the 9 (if I was playing off the 24 im aiming to be this year) with 2 pars. and 3 blobs lol

shame about the rubbish in the middle but such is life

same again next wednesday
chelmsfordhammer91

To be fair, chippig/pitching in these conditions when you are short of the green or to the side of it seems a lot more difficult than other winters.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm To be fair, chippig/pitching in these conditions when you are short of the green or to the side of it seems a lot more difficult than other winters.
Yeah this rain needs to kindly go Away now

Just ordered an one length hyrbid off eBay for £99 delivered . Bargain

Aiming to replace my current normal length one
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

One length 4 hybrid arrived today .. might put in bag for weds round

Hopefully the one length 5 hybrid arrives tomorrow

Then gives me more option 160-175 yards
Johnny Byrne's Boots

chelmsfordhammer91

Yeah, understandable and can see it being later in the year, replacing a less renowned event.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Shame about all the events being cancelled but needs must

I trying to think if I have to self isolated can I play golf lol single player . No contact with anyone surely fine lol

In other news I'm 2 out of 6 cards into my handicap at new club

Scoring 14 and 11 points over the 9. Not playing great but it's tough there

Enjoying mostly
thosewerethedays

Well I’m off to my course today for a round, the first available tee time off the first all day is 15:00 !
I’ve never known the course to be this busy on a Monday. Maybe everybody is ‘working from home’.
I’ll avoid going in the clubhouse and have my 19th hole drink, at home.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Just got myself a G400 SFT discounted, great club and very forgiving.

I'm quite new to the game, still need to get my handicap but the course is really hard work with the weather we have had
thosewerethedays

As of tomorrow our clubhouse will be shut, although changing rooms & toilets will remain open. The club have now cancelled all societies and competitions until further notice. The good news is the course is remaining open. I know a lot of courses have been shut due to bad weather this year, but ours has only been closed for two days, one day as it was too wet and one day after the first storm last month.
To be honest the course is in great nick, lovely and dry, with just an odd bare patch, which I’m sure will come good once the grass starts growing in the spring. We got a new green keeper a couple of years ago and he has really turned things around, lots of trees cut back and plenty of new ideas and equipment to improve the course generally. To be honest I think the old green keeper had been there around 40 years and it was good he retired, the course needed new ideas.
Anyway, now I’ll be playing twice a week on midweek afternoons, when it’s pretty quiet normally. Booked for this Thursday, probably still play rubbish, but the fresh air and exercise is good for the mood, might even be able to persuade the wife to walk round with me (might help me spot my golf ball). Just ordered 48 balls (price of 36) and 200 tees, so should see me through the year!
Hope everyone else is managing to get out and keep healthy.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Just got this today from our lot
The good news is, golf can continue and is going to be one of the few social and physical activities that remains low risk. In fact the exercise, fresh air and social interaction (with a few adjustments) will play an important part in your well-being and positivity over the coming months.

Golf Course
The following adjustments have been put in place and are recommended when playing the golf course:
• Flag sticks to be left in the hole when putting
• All rakes have been removed, use your feet to smooth over areas
• Don't use ball washers
• Clean your shoes when you get home, shoe cleaners will be removed or switched off
• Don't use safety bells, shout to inform golfers you are clear
• Stay six foot away from your playing partners
Clubhouse
The following adjustments have been made to continue with a clubhouse service and your support in keeping this a low risk environment is much appreciated:
• Cashless transactions only – tap and go with your debit or credit card
• Increased spacing between tables
• Hand sanitiser units positioned at key points in the clubhouse
• Adjusted food and drink offerings
• Reduced operating hours of the clubhouse until further notice
• Increased cleaning and sanitising of public areas
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Ken Brown is saying hotel prices have shot up in Augusta for the 8th to 11th of October :wink:
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

thosewerethedays wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm Just ordered 48 balls (price of 36) and 200 tees, so should see me through the round!
Fixed it for you