The Golf Thread

The forum to discuss all sports news not related to THE beautiful game.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

User avatar
chelmsfordhammer91
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Oh, and when buying balls, I found the cheaper ones were just as effective for the crap level that I was/am.

I started with dunlop tour soft from sports direct as they were around 8 quid for 36. They stopped selling them so changed to the slazenger v300 which have been good for me.

My playing partner uses Callaway supersport but they are about a quid a ball, and when I have used them I didn't really see any gains. At least with a 30p ball you don't care as much when you lose half a dozen a round at the beginning!

Golf tees, I get mine from sports direct. The plain white ones. Like 3 quid or so for 150.

Golf glove, callaway dawn patrol for me. Around 7 quid a pop on Ebay and just as good a feel and grip as any other I tried. I recommend the footjoy rain gloves for winter. They are microfiber so hold well in the rain and can be put in the washing machine. The wetter they get, the more they grip as the fibres stand up.

User avatar
Supreme
Posts: 474
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: East Stand Upper RIP

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Supreme » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:18 pm

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Oh, and when buying balls, I found the cheaper ones were just as effective for the crap level that I was/am.

I started with dunlop tour soft from sports direct as they were around 8 quid for 36. They stopped selling them so changed to the slazenger v300 which have been good for me.

My playing partner uses Callaway supersport but they are about a quid a ball, and when I have used them I didn't really see any gains. At least with a 30p ball you don't care as much when you lose half a dozen a round at the beginning!

Golf tees, I get mine from sports direct. The plain white ones. Like 3 quid or so for 150.

Golf glove, callaway dawn patrol for me. Around 7 quid a pop on Ebay and just as good a feel and grip as any other I tried. I recommend the footjoy rain gloves for winter. They are microfiber so hold well in the rain and can be put in the washing machine. The wetter they get, the more they grip as the fibres stand up.
Thanks - really useful.

My options re clubs at the minute are basically;

- New starter set which will cover me for everything, like you mentioned. Something like this from AG - https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clu ... tand%20bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- 2nd hand options from somewhere like GolfBidder. I've heard Ping G15/G20s are a really good option for starting sets. I would then need to buy each individual and bag etc.

- Try and borrow my uncles or brother-in-laws set for a bit as neither of them are currently playing much. Means I could start getting over the range straight away and then see if it is really for me before committing to spending £££ on a set.

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Posts: 20944
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: care home dodger

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 pm

For beginners to mid-handicap, Inesis Distance 100 £4.99 for a dozen. Yes, £4.99/dozen for brand new golf balls.

Golf Monthly's Youtube channel tested them against the Slazenger V100, another low-cost ball and the Srixon Z-Star XV, a top of the range premium ball. The Srixon came out top as you'd expect, the Inesis pushed it very close and the Slazenger was a distant third. Take price into account and the Inesis is a clear bargain.

User avatar
chelmsfordhammer91
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Option 3 is always the winner as like you say you can practice inexpensively to see how you feel about playing etc.

I've recommended this set to my brother:

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalo ... gJ71vD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the balls I currently use, which have performed as well as the callaway ones for me (currently around 24 handicapper):

https://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger- ... gKRc_D_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Row X
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: BML

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Row X » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 am

I would agree with Chelmsford, option 3 all day long mate.

Golf equipment really is a personal thing, it's all about what works best for you. First things first you have to learn the basics, there's no point spending £100's on top of the range gear if you find that after 4 or 5 rounds you end up hating the game, as it's a sport where you really need to have patience with.

Wilson make some lovely clubs, and they are usually priced well.

With ball selection, start cheap as you will lose quite a few to start off with (this is where you need the patience), then once you get more confident then you can start trying out different balls until you find one that suits your game (I'm currently playing Srixon AD333 tour's, the tour version is giving me an extra 10-15 yards per club over the standard version).

My big tip is to go out and play a few rounds with a mate who knows the etiquette of the game and the basic rules, so they can tell you what you should and shouldn't do in certain situations.

Most importantly just enjoy it, as it is a great social game.

User avatar
Knighter10WHU
Posts: 3194
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Berkshire.

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Knighter10WHU » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Row X wrote: With ball selection, start cheap as you will lose quite a few to start off with (this is where you need the patience), then once you get more confident then you can start trying out different balls until you find one that suits your game (I'm currently playing Srixon AD333 tour's, the tour version is giving me an extra 10-15 yards per club over the standard version).
10-15 yards extra!?! I've been using the standard AD333's for a while but this is making me think about upgrading. Having said that I lost 3 balls on 3 consecutive shots on Sunday so maybe spending more money on balls is not ideal right now :lol:

User avatar
psychoscoredthelot
Posts: 8108
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm

played orsett last week in the pouring rain - its a lovely course and will definitely be going back there

bit steep at £55 for a round but my cousins a member and can sign me in for £20 - work paid for it so it was no skin off my nose

Row X
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:32 am
Location: BML

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Row X » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:
10-15 yards extra!?! I've been using the standard AD333's for a while but this is making me think about upgrading. Having said that I lost 3 balls on 3 consecutive shots on Sunday so maybe spending more money on balls is not ideal right now :lol:
The 1st time I used them over a year ago, I put it down to it being warm. Then played with them again on a cooler day and was still going further than my normal numbers.

Then when I had to use a provisional on a par 3, I pulled out a standard 333, was well struck but came up short.

I now try and get them in bulk when they have deals on them to soften the blow a bit.

mumbles87
Posts: 10851
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Almost glad ive got a buggy for the next two days (foot still playing up) with this heat wave.. going to be a fun one!!

playing Theydon Bois tomorrow. never played anyone played?

thursday is chartham park.. lovely course in kent.. looking forward to going back there

anyone who uses any kind of srixon ball then 3 for 2 in most places....

this is best price ive found £35.98 for 3 dozen (ad333 I went for, all their range is in there)

http://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/product/2 ... nalisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you get free personalisation aswell

enough txt available for Mumbles Plays too much Golf I believe aswell

User avatar
chelmsfordhammer91
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm another one who recommends the ad333. Had a couple as part of a golf insurance offer and they felt nice, and as importantly felt consistent to putt with.

I did have a few srixon marathon distance, from a sports direct offer. Lower grade than the ad333,but they were surprisingly decent to put with considering it is aimed at being a 'distance' ball.

Definitely get as cheap as you can until you have a year under your belt. In the mean time,keep an eye online for any bargain offers on more premium balls then give them a go.

As mentioned earlier, make sure to learn the etiquette and avoid slow play (loads of practice swings when you are still likely to duff it anyway. Leaving your bag on the opposite side of the green to where the next hole is. Marking scorecard on the green etc.)

User avatar
V-M
Posts: 9782
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:45 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by V-M » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:35 pm

I play Chrome Softs myself, good balls and not a bad price. In the winter I tend to use Supersoft which are a lot cheaper but dont have the same control, not too much of a problem when the greens are soft.

There is something called a Callaway Supersoft Magna Golf Ball, aimed at beginners which is legal but slightly larger than a standard ball. Apparently easier to hit but never had a try of it.

thosewerethedays
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by thosewerethedays » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Mumbles, Theydon Bois is one of the better Essex clubs in my opinion. Looks short on the card, but is tree lined, so not necessarily a driver on every hole. Also a lot of doglegs so worth getting a course planner or gps to see the distances to the corners.
I think it’s holes 15,16 & 17 that are across the road and a bit tighter, but not too long.
It’s a shame it finishes with the 18th being a pretty bland hole, but overall a really nice course.
To be honest, the thing I remember the most from when I last played there, as we approached the 14th green an absolutely stunning young woman just walked out of the woods and straight past us. Once we picked our tongues off the floor, we couldn’t work out why she would be there, it’s the middle of nowhere. Spent all our time in clubhouse speculating and inventing ever stranger scenarios.

User avatar
Knighter10WHU
Posts: 3194
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Berkshire.

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Knighter10WHU » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:03 am

Row X wrote: The 1st time I used them over a year ago, I put it down to it being warm. Then played with them again on a cooler day and was still going further than my normal numbers.

Then when I had to use a provisional on a par 3, I pulled out a standard 333, was well struck but came up short.

I now try and get them in bulk when they have deals on them to soften the blow a bit.
Interesting, I always thought the more expensive balls were primarily for better control with approach shots but having the added distance as well could be very useful.

peter49uk
Posts: 2520
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by peter49uk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Supreme .........Ping clubs don’t seem to hold their price second hand so I would have thought you could pick up some comparatively cheap. But you should have them fitted to suit your self.

Hot and cold balls I was told in cold weather to keep my playing ball in my hand in my pocket to keep it warm.

Off to watch the seniors open Saturday at st. Anne’s looking forward to it.

mumbles87
Posts: 10851
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:58 pm

thosewerethedays wrote:Mumbles, Theydon Bois is one of the better Essex clubs in my opinion. Looks short on the card, but is tree lined, so not necessarily a driver on every hole. Also a lot of doglegs so worth getting a course planner or gps to see the distances to the corners.
I think it’s holes 15,16 & 17 that are across the road and a bit tighter, but not too long.
It’s a shame it finishes with the 18th being a pretty bland hole, but overall a really nice course.
To be honest, the thing I remember the most from when I last played there, as we approached the 14th green an absolutely stunning young woman just walked out of the woods and straight past us. Once we picked our tongues off the floor, we couldn’t work out why she would be there, it’s the middle of nowhere. Spent all our time in clubhouse speculating and inventing ever stranger scenarios.
Really enjoyed it

32 points , even with a 3 off tee first hole.. second ball par always the way

Tomorrow is chartham Park in East Sussex

Lots of water required

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Posts: 20944
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: care home dodger

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Played today after our old gits clinic, bloody hot it was too. Too many bad shots leading to another bad shot meant I went round in 87 but I was chuffed at how I played Stroke Index 1. 6 iron off the tee for position, left side of the fairway, spot on (take note Rory). 9 iron to the middle of the green, two putts, job done. It was only when totting up the scores I realised I'd hit the middle of a par 4 green with a 6i and 9i :scarfer:

mumbles87
Posts: 10851
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:13 pm

played today Chartham part in east sussex

roasting hot but enjoyed it completely

shot 28 points which in the conditions im happy with

rest now until monday lol

User avatar
psychoscoredthelot
Posts: 8108
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:58 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Played today after our old gits clinic, bloody hot it was too. Too many bad shots leading to another bad shot meant I went round in 87 but I was chuffed at how I played Stroke Index 1. 6 iron off the tee for position, left side of the fairway, spot on (take note Rory). 9 iron to the middle of the green, two putts, job done. It was only when totting up the scores I realised I'd hit the middle of a par 4 green with a 6i and 9i :scarfer:
must have been a short par 4 though - i can hit a 6i about 175 and a 9i 135

i played with a chap the other day who hits his 2i 245 (carry) - 260 - he doesnt use a driver anymore

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Posts: 20944
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: care home dodger

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm

That's a long way more than I can hit. It is a short par 4 (289 yards off the yellows), the hole is all about thinking your way through with accurate positioning. I made one of those easy, effortless swings off the tee just to keep it in play and as is often the case with those swings, it came out of the sweet spot and just flew dead straight around 15 yards beyond my 'normal' 150 yds 6i. I made the same swing with a 9i and it worked again.

There's something in this 'swing easy to hit hard' business :wink:

On a slightly related subject, have you come across Robin Matthews-Williams on Youtube? He's a 'maverick' freelance instructor, very sweary so be careful where you listen, who turns up at your driving range for under the counter lessons. He had a run in with the PGA about his teaching methods hence his 'pirate' status. He teaches a very simple "swing back, swing through shoulder to shoulder" swing based on (ripped off) FlowMotion Golf.

One of his videos is him getting fitted for clubs. To cut a long but interesting story short, his 7i improved from 175 carry to 203 with much better dispersion, and the swing he used was nothing like the one he teaches.

He's very controversial but worth searching out, even if only for his rather radical takes on the game. I will say that whether or not he uses his taught swing, his customers do seem to like the results.

User avatar
psychoscoredthelot
Posts: 8108
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:10 pm

i had a quick look at that video at work with no sound on - a lot of talking and not much swinging

will take a better look over the weekend, thanks mate

i like the sound of a 289 yd par 4 though - always nice making par !!

Post Reply