The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Row X »

Science Time:

Hot air rises, cold air falls, it's the reason you have radiators low down and air con units high up.

Cold air is denser than hot air.

Same applies in golf, the cold air will create more drag and slow the ball down quicker, the warmer, thinner air will keep the ball at a more stable speed and keep the ball in the air longer.

They say it's around 2 yards difference per 10 degree change in fahrenheit. So in the summer when it's 25 celsius compared to what it now, 5 celsius which is about 70 dgrees in fahrenheit, you're losing around 14 yards.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ ta for the explanation, it's certainly in the right ball park. Combine it with a well struck driver stopping a foot from its pitch mark :(

Thinking about it, if it was two percent of carry distance rather than an across the board two yards it would be just about bang on.
Row X

Post by Row X »

Yes those figures will be all carry. As you say due to it being boggy at the moment, you will get no run out once the ball lands... so for drivers if the ball is dropping 14 yards shorter and not running on, it will be a massive difference in distance from a 'summer drive'
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

potenially the last round of the year today

lovely day.. dry even though a bit cold.. no wind to speak off

had a lesson on my driver last week.. he got me carrying 220 by the end of it.. obviously that would be in the summer so wasnt expecting the same today

Panshanger first tee.. 212 bang middle of fairway.. only one of my group to find fairway

started with a bogey.

second hole.. lost the drive in air but found it nicely just off the fairway.. thinned the approach but walked off with par

3rd hole smashed the drive. green side bunker in 3.... however plugged.. damn.. on for 5.. 7 taken

I ended up with 23 points on the first half after just hitting it well and putting pretty good

29 putts total I ended up with

41 points

last hole.. in the trees just off the fairway for 2... chipped out... approach shot into the green 85 yards.. stopped 3 foot from flag.. one of the few holes I didnt one putt! shame would have been nice but still cracking round

lets hope keep it up for next year
Row X

Post by Row X »

To be honest mate, if I was in your 4 ball\society\club and you came in with 41 points in winter conditions, I would be constantly moaning about your handicap and having words with the handicap commitee :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm To be honest mate, if I was in your 4 ball\society\club and you came in with 41 points in winter conditions, I would be constantly moaning about your handicap and having words with the handicap commitee :lol:
Yet the guy who came in second with 39 off 10 wouldnt get a mention .. lol

To be fair if it was consistent I'd be cut
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I played yesterday, we made up a four with another couple waiting to get away at the first tee as it was touch and go whether we'd finish in daylight (we didn't), but finish we did: second shot on eighteen, "That felt like it went right off the face, I'll have a look over by the silver birches". I wore skiing underwear, a t-shirt, a polo shirt, a jumper and windcheater. Our new partners both wore a polo shirt, that's it. Trousers obviously but just a polo shirt up top and no, they weren't Geordies.

I hit a few beauties when not really trying, just playing for position, and the opposite of course was also true. I really must work on cultivating that easy, effortless swing that goes miles in the desired direction. It really does work, but banishing the devil on my shoulder insisting a little harder won't hurt is bloody difficult.
Row X

Post by Row X »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:12 pm Yet the guy who came in second with 39 off 10 wouldnt get a mention .. lol

To be fair if it was consistent I'd be cut
If it was up to me, I'd cut everyone.... but I've been told I'm a nasty grumpy b*****d :lol:
Row X

Post by Row X »

I need to book up up somewhere for my annual Christmas Eve fourball... given that all we've had recently is rain, where is the best place to book up?

We're from the Hornchurch area and usually don't venture too far as people need to get back to families etc.

Which places have the best drainage that won't be too boggy?

If it was up to me, we'd go over the water and play a course in Kent (Southern Valley, not the greatest course, but I know that the drainage is excellent there). However, a couple of the fourball have already said that they do not want to chance the Dartford Tunnel on Christmas Eve coming back home.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:29 am I need to book up up somewhere for my annual Christmas Eve fourball... given that all we've had recently is rain, where is the best place to book up?

We're from the Hornchurch area and usually don't venture too far as people need to get back to families etc.

Which places have the best drainage that won't be too boggy?

If it was up to me, we'd go over the water and play a course in Kent (Southern Valley, not the greatest course, but I know that the drainage is excellent there). However, a couple of the fourball have already said that they do not want to chance the Dartford Tunnel on Christmas Eve coming back home.

Cranham about the only place that has good drainage around Essex
Row X

Post by Row X »

Will have to give Cranham a call... everywhere I've been looking, there's been the following so far:

Everwhere, no buggies unless the course has paths.
Some courses are even carry only
One course all tees playing off mats
8 temp greens
9 holes closed
The whole course closed

It's wet out there :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:18 pm Will have to give Cranham a call... everywhere I've been looking, there's been the following so far:

Everwhere, no buggies unless the course has paths.
Some courses are even carry only
One course all tees playing off mats
8 temp greens
9 holes closed
The whole course closed

It's wet out there :lol:
I've only known cranham closed once but never know

They have been carry only once to my knowledge

But it's got good drainage

No temp greens or tees

Doesn't take long to play

Always in good nick
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

The Essex in Earl's Colne has excellent drainage.

The course is on an old airfield from the war and has an active airfield behind the 11th/12th.

The course has been shut today and yesterday to help preserve it for the next week or so but I can't imagine many other places in essex having as good drainage at this time of the year.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Teed off in a 2 ball this morning, first group of the decade at my home club.

Had hoped today would set the standard for the new year but was 6 down walking onto the 12th tee :lol:

Managed to salvage some pride with a few holes back but lost 2&1 on the 17th.
Row X

Post by Row X »

We played Cranham on Xmas Eve and was a bit wet but playable. Struck the ball really well but it was my usual problem... putting! I lost a ball on my first shot, as my 5 wood found the fairway 'bunker' on the right. It in fact was a pond due to so much water, and was so deep that I couldn't see the ball. We knew it was in there, as we saw the splash from the tee.

Then on the 27th we played Mardyke. I was really suprised at how the course has developed. I used to hate the place. It was a lot drier than Cranham as well. Obviously there were places where it was wet, but it was significantly better than Cranham. The greens were really good and the course was set up well given the conditions... The greenkeepers over there are doing a good job.
chelmsfordhammer91

Played my usual course, The Essex, Earl's Colne.

Best round I've ever had,which was surprising given the muddy conditions.

I was 18 over, 11 on the front 9 and only 7 on the back.

4 pars and a birdie, one triple, the rest were bogeys and a couple of doubles.

Really looking forward to it this year. Looking to get some new irons in the coming months. I currently have Callaway X Hot which are now about 6 years old. The 6 and 7 iron snapped down the range a few months back so been having to jump between a 5 iron (about 195 yards) and an 8 iron (about 165 yards). I don't use my driver so the off with the X Hot 3 hybrid, which I can get to about 230 on a good one.

Have my eye on the Callaway Rogue irons, but instantly fell in love with the look of the Ping I500 set, but they are considerably more expensive.

Looking to spend no more than 500 ish for 5-PW set....any recommendations?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Those are some impressive distances.

If you don't mind good condition used clubs, Golfbidder is a very good site/shop for buying and selling. They're quite picky about condition when buying as I discovered literally to my cost, so you can buy with confidence. I wanted to p/ex an Odyssey putter against a Scotty Cameron. Now I thought it was in pretty good nick, at least a 7/10 on their scale. They refused it because there was a small, and I mean small, paint chip out of the back. I'm a repeat customer.

They're in Chessington, in the same industrial estate as Callaway's UK HQ, and while their main business is mail order they also have a decent sized shop.

Ping i500 Read the descriptions carefully, make sure the set makeup and shaft are what you want.
chelmsfordhammer91

Cheers JBB.

I did look on golfbidder the other day but didn't know how credible they were.

I will most likely buy new if I am going to shell out a few hundred quid anyway, but understand the I500 set is out my range.

The X Hot have quite a big cavity, but I prefer a sleeker look. The Taylormade M4/M6 irons looked about right and look to be within budget.

I will be going for a fitting with a bloke recommended by my golf coach, he doesn't sell anything so can give an unbiased assessment.
chelmsfordhammer91

Cheers JBB.

I will most likely buy new if I am going to shell out a few hundred quid anyway, but understand the I500 set is out my range.

The X Hot have quite a big cavity, but I prefer a sleeker look. The Taylormade M4/M6 irons looked about right and look to be within budget.

I will be going for a fitting with a bloke recommended by my golf coach, he doesn't sell anything so can give an unbiased assessment.
chelmsfordhammer91

Cheers JBB.