2017 Ireland V England Rugby Union Match thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

2017 Ireland V England Rugby Union Match thread

Post by bristolhammerfc »

C.mon England
bristolhammerfc

Re: 2017 Ireland V England Rugby Union Match thread

England look second best today. The Irish are very physical and using the ball well.

Our kicking has been poor
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bah. Well done Ireland.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Caught this in a pub on the way home from our game. Double disappointment today, but England were second best today.

Most annoying thing though was a load of welshies in the pub cheering on Ireland and celebrating like it was their own team that had won, instead of coming 5th in a 6 horse race.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

It is bizarre to witness the orgasmic delight and relief on show when England lose at something. Pretty tragic really.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

DasNutNock wrote:It is bizarre to witness the orgasmic delight and relief on show when England lose at something. Pretty tragic really.
It really is. Can always rely on the Celts to continue the ABE animosity. it verges on the utterly childish. All they can ever say when questioned on it is either "because it's the English" or "because England are arrogant" without being able to cite examples. Met some cracking fans from each Celtic nation but also some utter helmets from each as well.

Very disappointing from England today against an Ireland team doing Rugby's equivalent of Pulis tactics. Just never got going and seemed to be on the wrong side of the ref throughout. The players will learn from that I hope and come back stronger for the autumn. The loss also gives Jones a bit more freedom to experiment I feel. It's often hard to make changes to a winning team and the Argentina tour plus the autumn series will likely see a slight evolution of the team.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Frustrating to say the least! What's the one thing you expect from an Irish team in Dublin vs. England? Intensity....and we got that and more. It seemed like we weren't expecting it and were rabbits in headlights for most of the game

They did nothing complicated but controlled the game superbly to be fair...

Hartley is on borrowed time for me....as good a captain as he's meant to be, our best hooker has been on the bench. Also think now might be the time to phase Brown out....get Watson to FB

Really put a further sh*t stain on a thoroughly sh*tty sporting day :(
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Most boring 80 mins of my life...I even started collecting glasses in the pub.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Loftyhammer wrote:
Arsenal losing to WBA started it off rather well i thought...and our game wasn't boring.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Very frustrating to watch. We just couldn't live the intensity from Ireland, although we didn't help ourselves with continual handling errors and that we kept kicking it back to them. It was poor all around from England really, but you can't be too harsh on them considering what they've achieved, and how much Ireland as well as Wales and Scotland raise their game vs us. 18 straight wins, back to back 6N championships, a whitewash down under and up to 2nd in World rankings and have beaten everyone over the last year or so except the ABs. Ireland were celebrating like they'd won the world cup, when all they'd managed was a boring narrow win at home and finishing runner up.

Still work to do but you have to be positive the way the team is going.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

DasNutNock wrote:It is bizarre to witness the orgasmic delight and relief on show when England lose at something. Pretty tragic really.
dave_l wrote: It really is. Can always rely on the Celts to continue the ABE animosity. it verges on the utterly childish. All they can ever say when questioned on it is either "because it's the English" or "because England are arrogant" without being able to cite examples. Met some cracking fans from each Celtic nation but also some utter helmets from each as well.
Been the same for years, I generally find the Scots the worst, then the Irish and the Welsh not far behind.
dave_l wrote: Very disappointing from England today against an Ireland team doing Rugby's equivalent of Pulis tactics. Just never got going and seemed to be on the wrong side of the ref throughout. The players will learn from that I hope and come back stronger for the autumn. The loss also gives Jones a bit more freedom to experiment I feel. It's often hard to make changes to a winning team and the Argentina tour plus the autumn series will likely see a slight evolution of the team.
For much of the game it looked like the England that had played Wales had turned up, not the one that played Scotland last week. Some of that is due to the intensity from the Irish / Welsh teams of course, but England didn't handle it well. That's what they need to do to reach the level of the 2003 team.
Too many individual errors, Youngs' kicking was poor and Ford's not much better.

Neither side really created anything, not a good spectacle.

I'm not a fan of Garces as a ref, but he was inconsistent yesterday even by his standard.
Very much affected by the crowd imo.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I'm pretty sure 90% of people don't have the clues what the rules are...

I know i don't ...and I played for my borough and county.

What an odd situation :)
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Loftyhammer wrote: Hartley is on borrowed time for me....as good a captain as he's meant to be, our best hooker has been on the bench. Also think now might be the time to phase Brown out....get Watson to FB

I'm inclined to agree with regard to Hartley, but not with Brown. While he's not playing to quite the same level he was a couple of years ago, he's still a very good Full Back and he's too important as a team leader. You can't afford to lose all of your leaders at once.

Haskell needs to be upgraded, Dan Cole is past his best and for me Marler isn't good enough in the scrum.
bristolhammerfc

Romford wrote:I'm pretty sure 90% of people don't have the clues what the rules are...

I know i don't ...and I played for my borough and county.

What an odd situation :)
I was comped tickets for a few games at Bristol before buying both me and the wife a season ticket as I enjoyed the day out, watching live sport drinking a beer in my seat, with both opposition and local fans mixing without any aggro.

Still loads of banter, but no swearing allowed which also makes it great to take my kids.

In addition, access to the players is great and they all take the time after the match to meet and greet fans that wait behind.

Soon as I bought my season ticket I started reading up on the rules and would say I am about 75% there now.

Still loads of 'veterans' around me that argue with each other about offside and every other rule, but much less than at Football.

If I lived nearer and the kids were older, I would do home and away with West Ham, but for me and the family this ticks the box..
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

Eggchaser wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with regard to Hartley, but not with Brown. While he's not playing to quite the same level he was a couple of years ago, he's still a very good Full Back and he's too important as a team leader. You can't afford to lose all of your leaders at once.

Haskell needs to be upgraded, Dan Cole is past his best and for me Marler isn't good enough in the scrum.
You've got a point re Brown...just question his decision making in attack sometimes. Does a good job of butchering tries or promising positions every now and again

Unless there's an obvious alternative I'm inclined to leave Haskell....can't really think of one unless we go for Clifford and stick with him as he learns on the job. Wasn't hugely impressed with him in the early games. Agreed re Marler and Cole...MV is so much better in the tight these days and Sinckler is really exciting
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

Romford wrote:
Arsenal losing to WBA started it off rather well i thought...and our game wasn't boring.
Yeah agreed re Arsenal....did make me chuckle. But wasn't at our game so not really for me to comment too much on that!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
I was comped tickets for a few games at Bristol before buying both me and the wife a season ticket as I enjoyed the day out, watching live sport drinking a beer in my seat, with both opposition and local fans mixing without any aggro.

Still loads of banter, but no swearing allowed which also makes it great to take my kids.

In addition, access to the players is great and they all take the time after the match to meet and greet fans that wait behind.

Soon as I bought my season ticket I started reading up on the rules and would say I am about 75% there now.

Still loads of 'veterans' around me that argue with each other about offside and every other rule, but much less than at Football.

If I lived nearer and the kids were older, I would do home and away with West Ham, but for me and the family this ticks the box..
It wasn't a dig mate.

It was just how odd it is how little people know about the rules of a game they watch....

I can think of no other spectator sport where the rules are so unknown.

I'd say 3/4s of the people near me in the pub thought Ireland's try wasn't legal.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Loftyhammer wrote:
Yeah agreed re Arsenal....did make me chuckle. But wasn't at our game so not really for me to comment too much on that!
I think a 1/4 of the crowd went home at half time so i don't think many saw our 2nd half either which was a shame because it was exciting :D
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
I was comped tickets for a few games at Bristol before buying both me and the wife a season ticket as I enjoyed the day out,
So its your fault they are bottom ? :wink:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Agree on Marler. A good club prop but not got what it takes to get to the next level IMO. Hartley for George can be made now, and agree on an upgrade for Haskell. Underhill seems to be in the running? Happy with Robshaw staying for the time being. We missed his work rate, tackling and ability to secure ball and tidy up messes. There are a few places going begging and Argentina will provide an opportunity for a few new faces.