Tennis

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Tennis

Post by White Goodman »

Rowly wrote:After a very comfortable start to the first set Konta just suddenly went to pieces. What a shame. On another note Chrissy Evert! You still would! Proper Milfage! 8-)
Yep was thinking that earlier.

Also, how does Murray concentrate with Williams massive cans in his face the whole time
Last edited by White Goodman on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Konta has a stinking attitude as well.

That interview isnt the first time I've seen her like that .

She was like it on the Jonathan Ross show as well
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

White Goodman wrote:Konta is basically the female Tim Henman but not quite as good or as well liked.

At least Henman could say that he had Sampras in his way the whole time.

There has never been a time.when there are less outstanding women tennis players. If she can't win a grand slam in this era, then safe to say she could never have done so .
Was thinking the same thing . How come such terrible tennis players have made it to the quarter finals? As for Konta, her unseeded opponent is almost at the end of her professional tennis playing career and breezed her way to the semi's
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

White Goodman wrote:
Also, how does Murray concentrate with Williams massive cans in his face the whole time
Cos his Mrs. is keeping a beedy eye on hom from the box! :wink:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I do think Konta has a mental block when she is at the business end of a slam. However, women's tennis is far less predictable than the men's and the line up for the semis shows that. I think she was right to call the journo out for taking the piss out of her, he knew what he was saying and was patronising her, I'm sure she didn't lose on purpose - she just bottled it mentally.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

She's not easy to warm to unfortunately.

Doesn't help that she is not British either, people inclined to cut her less slack .

I wouldn't rule her out for a grand slam. The women's game is quite weak but with some youngsters starting to come good, she probably doesn't have too many more years to win one

I actually thought she'd win the Strycova game but that was a fair old mental crumbling . If I was her , deep down that would concern me
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

She’s got the capability of a Greg Rusedski, in terms of potential success as well as popularity.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Yeah you never hear anyone remember him fondly when discussing past British sporting greats

Always remember his "actress" wife , clearly with Greg 1. Because no doubt he wasn't short of a few quid and 2. In the hope that if Dan Maskell said she was an actress enough during Wimbledon that she'd get a part in Hollyoaks
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Indeed. Neither British nor a potential champion.

I’ve always felt Henman overdelivered, given he lived with arthritis from childhood and was hardly blessed with a powerful physique.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

White Goodman wrote:Yeah you never hear anyone remember him fondly when discussing past British sporting greats

Always remember his "actress" wife , clearly with Greg 1. Because no doubt he wasn't short of a few quid and 2. In the hope that if Dan Maskell said she was an actress enough during Wimbledon that she'd get a part in Hollyoaks

If I recall her rightly, her face was more suited to a starring role at Royal Ascot
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

DasNutNock wrote:
I’ve always felt Henman overdelivered, given he lived with arthritis from childhood and was hardly blessed with a powerful physique.
Yep don't start me on this.

Bear in mind he made it to 4 Wimbledon semis, you have to wonder how,given that he had less quad development than Christopher Reeve (after he fell off his horse)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

And you'd get w*nkers calling him out for perceived mental fragility. I remember this gem of a quote from JPR Williams:

"It was hard for me to give up tennis. Had I kept playing, I wouldn’t have won Wimbledon. I didn’t have a big enough game for that. But I would have been a quarter-finalist — not technically as good as (Tim) Henman but far more bottle.”
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Yeah never felt Henman had a lack of bottle, if you look at the losses in the semis at Wimbledon , two were to Sampras, one to Ivanisevic (he was desperately unlucky not to win , although my memory might be failing me) and the other to that arch-bellend Hewitt.

He can't really ever be accused of going out meekly to 33 year old journeymen.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Who is that old wild Bill Hickock lookalike geezer who sits in the players and their families enclosure at every Wimbledon?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

I think he effectively shows people to their seats.

Much like anything else at Wimbledon they make a massive suckfest of what is a ridiculously easy job
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Is it my imagination, or have there been some pretty atrocious female tennis players at this years' Wimbledon? Frankly, I haven't been all that impressed by Serena Williams either. Not one player has made her work hard for any victory and that is not testimony her overall superiority. She is not, not ever has been, the most mobile player around and carrying all that weight, you would've thought, the way to beat her is to set the tempo and get her running all over the tennis court, but not one player has done so. Frankly, the girl she played today was an utter embarrassment and she knew she was not going to win, she gifted the ****ing match to Williams. 6-1 6-2 inside 51 minute's for a semi final, so ridiculously one sided, was almost an insult to the paying public, who want to see more evenly contested games
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

I hope Halep wins the final.

For all of her records and dominance over the years , Serena Williams is quite clearly an atrocious person.

Halep has a good chance, seems to be playing better and better each round and I wouldn't put too much store by Williams demolition of Strycova in the semis.

She's a fading force to my mind, not surprisingly .

That said, she will probably still win although I hope she always remains one short of Court's record just to piss her off.

Graf was better than both anyway.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Well done, Rog. Always a pleasure to see twitchy roid boy dumped out.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

first tennis I have actually watched this Wimbledon - and what a game....!!!!!

I'm sitting here going WTF ?? so many times during that game...

:thup:
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

DasNutNock wrote:Well done, Rog. Always a pleasure to see twitchy roid boy dumped out.
I cant stand Nadal either, so always happy to see him knocked out but all being said Tennis will be a poorer sport when these two retire - they raise each others game and always provide thrillers...

Best part of today, Nadal before the tournament moaning about how Federer was made number 2 over him... well today proved why!

Hats off to both though for that match, hopefully Roger can go one step further and take home wimbledon again!