Can't stand Ian Ward. A really annoying bloke, I'm not sure what it is, he just does my head in. It seems to be his style, is he too pointed? A bit shouty? I don't know, but there's an illogical hatred there.
Anyway, onto the cricket. Yes a draw was probably a fair result for the series. They've been slightly better than us for the most part, but I think their batting overall has been worse. Steve Smith, and then Lambuschagne has masked their frailties.
That said, we have done ourselves no favours at all, and big questions need to be asked of the selectors here:
1. The Jason Roy experiment. It was always a gamble putting him in test cricket, we all knew it, but then to have him open made it more of a gamble. It clearly wasn't working after the first test and the second, but we carried on until after the third before moving him to 4. His batting issues affected his whole game and his fielding suffered. We've knocked his confidence massively here. He should have been at 5 or 6.
2. Playing a semi fit 37 year old James Anderson cost us that test. You could see it in their second innings, our bowlers looked knackered.
3. Why no Sam Curran? He smashed India last summer and got man of the series, yet we wait until the last test to give him a go, and despite it being known that Smith isn't quite so good vs left arm fasts. Woakes has looked average, yet when we drop him it was for Overton. Why?
4. Moeen Ali first test. He was dropped from the ODI team because he was clearly ****ed, so why put him in the test team? Again, this cost us the Egbaston test.
5. The gloves. It's Buttler in ODIs, but it's Bairstow in tests. Why? In truth neither are especially brilliant as WK, and at the moment neither are looking especially great with the bat, although Buttler has looked a bit better since moving down to 7 - you have to question the logic though, why do we have a specialist batsman that can only bat at 7? Who has Foakes offended in the England set up? Bairstow is doubly annoying because he growls all the time, and seems to use up a review every time he gets an LBW.
It's a little irritating looking back on it, as there's lots of silly things we got wrong there that cost us the series. Australia were very good with the ball, so you can forgive a few of the lower scores, but with the bat they were poor on the whole, not brilliant in the field and Tim Paines use of DRS was shocking, not to mention his calls for the toss. Weakest captain they've had in a while - how long before they pass it back to Smith I wonder?