Rugby Union World Cup.

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Re: Rugby Union World Cup.

Post by Hammer1972 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:14 ambut the commentary should be neutral .

Ah well .
So should the officials, but there you go...
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 am Bit of an England bias from the commentary though ' Just one more hurdle for England next week when they meet either South Africa or Wales ' - as if Wales are only there for England to beat , surely ITV shouldn't be choosing sides ?
I dare say the Welsh fellas they have on tomorrow will be talking about Wales rather than England too :wink:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

sendô wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 am I think youre reading too much into that TOMoS.

It would be very much neutral if it was england vs wales. Different if its NZ.

I dont doubt Kiwi TV is mainly focusing on ABs losing rather than the final right now.

Hey , look , I try to be as objective as possible , Sendo but the BBC and ITV have an England bias when it comes to sport and its reporting of sport - I can well understand if this goes unnoticed amongst England fans but being from Wales I notice it a lot - England may be the more populated country but television is in every home in the UK .
What the commentator said was ' Just one more hurdle for England next week ....' - what he could have said or should have said was ' This result for England sets us up for a very exciting Final against either Wales or South Africa ' , saying ' one more hurdle for England ' implied that England were going to win and that he wanted them to win which is all well and good in private .

I'm not reading too much into it , the bias is there I'm afraid .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Eggchaser wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:56 am I dare say the Welsh fellas they have on tomorrow will be talking about Wales rather than England too :wink:
It wasn't the ex England players in the studio that said it , it was the ITV commentator - I would hope that the two English lads would big up England for next week and I'd be fine with that , completely different scenario .
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I know from Scottish friends that years ago watching sports news it's all about England and that is why they like is to lose. And that is generally good natured.
Secretly some want England to do well but wouldn't let us know that.
Understandable in my opinion. Like some of our so called fans thinking they're liberating Europe when England play away.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

I lived in Wales at the time just after Martin Johnsons period , when Lancaster had just taken over , and the Welsh were really on a high. When the England Wales game at Twickenham came around, the coverage on Welsh news and media was incredible. " It`s going to be a record score at Twickenham, the boys are too strong , too powerful and too good for England "were just some of the comments heard, and the build up to this went on over a week. They won by a point after England had a late try controversially ruled out. And they`ve got the nerve to call England arrogant.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:04 pm It wasn't the ex England players in the studio that said it , it was the ITV commentator - I would hope that the two English lads would big up England for next week and I'd be fine with that , completely different scenario .
"One more hurdle" is not biased, no one knows who England will play next week yet so there is one more hurdle for them to cross in order for them to win the cup. That is not to say it will be easy, its a fact.

Whoever wins tomorrow, it would be true to say that "only a victory against England stands between them and the World cup", that doesn't mean that it'll be easy, it just means that if they win that last game they will be champions.

The match commentators today included David Flatman and Ben Kay, both former England internationals, oh and that well known Englishman Brian O'Driscoll, the ITV bloke was Nick Mullins (I think) who is generally half decent.

Tomorrow it'll be Shane Williams, Sam Warburton, Gareth Thomas or whoever, but they'll be welsh, probably supported by another Irishman Alan Quinlan and Miles Harrison (from Sky) and will make exactly the same kind of comments support of Wales.

The main difference will be that Harrison's knowledge of the game is crap.

I have DVD set somewhere of the 2003 final, one with the "English" commentary, the other with the Australian commentary on.
Trust me no commentary on British Television ever compares to the Aussies on that recording, not even Eddie Butler. :wink:
Patito

Post by Patito »

We did it boys. I can’t believe it. One more to go.
NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer »

Great performance
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

I won’t lie...definitely had something in my eye at the end there...god help me next week!

All the talk about their lineout....ours was incredible really. Intensity and calmness at the same time....whole thing was amazing! Just couldn’t enjoy watching it....way too tense!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Considering it's their national sport you'd expect Wales to get to the Final and they've always been a bit of a bogey side for England so for that reason I sincerely hope the Springboks absolutely batter them tomorrow to give England a better chance of winning their second world cup of the year. 8-)
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Loftyhammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:55 pm I won’t lie...definitely had something in my eye at the end there...god help me next week!

All the talk about their lineout....ours was incredible really. Intensity and calmness at the same time....whole thing was amazing! Just couldn’t enjoy watching it....way too tense!
Itoje was a monster in the line-outs.

Special mention too for Sam Underhill..... unlucky not to get a try and he just threw himself at everything wearing black!!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 582 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Reckon it'll be SA in the final but...

Ever seen hyperbole?

Guardian article by Percy Bysshe Shellely

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... semi-final
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

It'll be a Wales win today, the carrot of a final v.England will be too good to pass up!!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Springboks look a bit lightweight to me. This looks like men against boys
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Bit of an agricultural game this.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

sendô wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 am Bit of an agricultural game this.
Was thinking that myself. Like watching 6 nations ten years ago. The Welsh are dropping like flies at the mo. Not looking promising, that said George North has miraculously stayed on.

Edit: literally as I hit submit off he trots :lol:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

The quality in this game seems to be quite lacking. I’m surprised how poor Wales seem to be at chasing their own kicks and catching the South Africa’s.

If England can play anywhere near the level they did yesterday against either of these teams then I can only see one result.

Admittedly this is the first time I’ve seen either play this tournament, can anyone who’s seen more of them she’d some light on how well they’ve been playing?
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

stu1 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:57 am Admittedly this is the first time I’ve seen either play this tournament, can anyone who’s seen more of them she’d some light on how well they’ve been playing?
Wales were awful in the quarter final v France, they were 10 - 19 behind until Vahaamahina saw red early in the 2nd half in a total moment of madness. But they clawed it back and won ugly so many saw that as a good sign of they can't play like that again/good to win when you play badly etc

SA lost to New Zealand in the Pools, won the games they should, scoreline flattered them in the quarters V Japan.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Stinking game this one