Which is hardest

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Re: Which is hardest

Post by sendô »

brothernero wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm Also re a 147 there is always a chance of getting a kick.

PS Must remember that there is actually a chance in Snooker of a 155, should you be left with a freeball. I think Jimmy White had a 155 in an exhibition or practice match.
Apparently it was Jamie Burnett who made 148 in 2004 in a qualifier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_UK_C ... Qualifying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_b ... eeding_147
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Definitely the 147.

My maximum break is about 13 or something equally ****.

We had a bowling night at work once and I was complete Sanchez for 2 games and on the third was getting strike after strike and got ludicrous high score.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

smuts wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:16 pm Definitely the 147.

My maximum break is about 13 or something equally ****.

We had a bowling night at work once and I was complete Sanchez for 2 games and on the third was getting strike after strike and got ludicrous high score.
That's the beer kicking in. :lol:
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Rocketron wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:07 pm That's the beer kicking in. :lol:
Have we found the answer??? Give Sanchez 5 pints before you stick him out on the pitch?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

There answer is none of them if you are a top pro in those sports. I'll bet there isn't a player in the top 25 who hasn't done multiple 9 darters or 147s in the practice room. It's just a mechanical process.

The real answer is that nothing is hard when you are brilliant, full of confidence and at the top of your sport.

What is hard is maintaining a sporting dominance for a long period of time. That means you have to conquer dips in form, illness and injury, outside distractions (money!) and see off hungry newcomers.

How many times have we seen a golfer pop up who is going to dominate for a decade, only after a successful few majors become just another regular top 25 player? Rory Mcllroy for example.

This is why you have to marvel at someone like Roger Federer, who just defies the odds and keeps on going. Or Marc Marquez who in a competitive sport like Moto GP turns each season into a procession while the rest squabble for second place.

Anyone can be good for a bit, but long term success, that is a different thing all together.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Add Djokovic to the above list. One of the all time great sportsmen.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Definitely not a hole in one. I got one on my very first round of golf 30 or so years ago, and to this day I remain a terrible golfer who rarely breaks 100

I'd go for the 147 being the toughest
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I was in a pub in Wales years ago, and there were a few regulars playing darts, and they were getting all excitable, when suddenly they all erupted, beer slung in the air and a load of back-slapping and "****ing hell, well done butt", and it turns out some bloke did a 9 darter.

Can't ever recall a normal bloke doing a 147 though.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

A hole in one on a par three isn't unusual. I'd probably go as far as to say that most serious golfers have done it at least once.

I've never seen anyone do a nine dart finish in a competition at pub level but, I've seen a few elevens and twelves and I suspect that people who can do that in competition have probably done a nine darter in practice.

A 147 break in my mind is an order of magnitude more difficult. The best player I know has managed a handful of eighty-something breaks and he was basically playing for two or three hours a day over the course of five years. I think you've got to be very, very good and very, very lucky to pull it off.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

147 definitely. My Dad's hit a hole in one on a Par 3 before and he's dogshit. We had a dartboard in my living room for 7 years from the age of 18-25 and I reckon I threw a few hundred darts a night for many years, in my entire life I've only ever hit two 180's. It's the same with the strikes in bowling...it's not just about hitting them, it's the pressure amping up each time. I've hit treble 20 twice in a row on dozens of occasions, but the pressure that follows just hits you.

I can't imagine what it must be like when you're on for a 147 and you're on a tricky yellow or something like that.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

To simplify it massively:
In bowling, you need to learn to do the same thing 12 times to get 300.
In darts you need to repeat the same throw seven times then throw a different treble and a double.
For a 147, every shot is slightly different and each shot relies on the previous one.

From a practice makes perfect point of view, it has to be snooker, darts, bowling in descending level of difficulty. You could probably also argue that the same order would apply if you were trying to design a robot to try and achieve the three feats.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

300 in bowling surely harder than nine darter?
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

If I had to choose one to save my life, I reckon I'd take the bowling on, and I've played a lot more darts than I've been bowling.

Let's face it, I'd be dead whatever.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I reckon you could throw 10's of thousands of darts before your body gave up.

How many balls you reckon you could bowl before that happened?
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:56 pm I reckon you could throw 10's of thousands of darts before your body gave up.

How many balls you reckon you could bowl before that happened?
4, maybe 5. :oops: