Kobe Bryant

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Kobe Bryant

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

The last pure-scoring superstar the NBA produced. An awful tragedy made worse by the loss of his 13 year old daughter.
Big football fan as well, loved the game which developed when he lived in Italy as a child.
RIP Black Mamba.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Didn't know anything about this guy, nor what sport he played. Knew his name, that's about all, but clearly, by the outpouring of grief, he was a sporting icon and legend
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Denzil »

A hugely influential, humble person with no ego. Ran many charities for children and was NBA's golden boy. The outpouring of grief shows the man he was. A legend of the game but also a gentleman off of it.

For those not familiar with him or the game, this is the equivalent of Messi dying a couple of years after retiring.

Kobe Bryant was one of the best to ever play the game, a protege of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, both of whom I would imagine are overcome with grief given that they were both very very close to him.

The fact that his daughter was on it too is absolutely heartbreaking, and watching the videos of emerging of the two of them together has really pulled the heart strings. He was clearly so proud of her, the way he spoke of her in interviews. I can't imagine the pain his wife and their three daughters are feeling.

Last night was one of those "where were you when" moments. The last time I can remember something like that through death was when Michael Jackson died.

Rest in Peace to all nine on board.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Nice post Denzil :thup:

One of the true greats of the game for sure, all of it is incredibly sad.

I see BBC cocked up last night, posting a clip of LeBron, muppets!
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Here is info on the other passengers who died in the crash. They include another teammate and her parents (leaving 2 children at home without a family), yet another teammate and her mother, the coach for the girls' team and the pilot.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-brya ... ine-mauser
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The amount of famous people who've died in helicopter crashes.

Having wealth does lead to more opportunities to get in those things.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I've genuinely never heard of him.

Sad news that a man and his daughter should perish that way though. :(
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

A tragic accident. Kobe Bryant was one of the all-time greats as both a player & competitor. It seems he used his power & influence mainly for good too and seemed content in his retirement, a rare thing for a sportman. He was no saint tho & I feel the coverage in the US in particular is starting to go a bit 'Princess Di' which is a shame.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Great basketball player obviously but I can't get past the feeling that if he wasn't stupendously rich and famous and able to pay to absolutely destroy someone pre trial, he'd have been in court for rape.

Kobe Bryant the Plumber would probably have gone to jail.

I am not saying he did it but he told a load of ****ing lies at the time for an innocent person. He was just lucky he wasn't sticking it about in the #metoo era.