Boxing thread

The forum to discuss all sports news not related to THE beautiful game.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

stu1

Re: Boxing thread

Post by stu1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Wilder has now announced he’ll fight Fury after Ortiz, which tbf is a tough fight and makes a bit more sense.

If he beats Ortiz convincingly and Fury he deserves a 50-50 split, which seems to be what he is holding out for. That being said, I’d make him an underdog against Fury so he’s risking a lot for that extra 10%. It would be quite funny if he loses to Fury and then has to accept a lesser split due to losing all his leverage.

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 pm

I personally think Wilder & Fury would beat Joshua...he wouldn't get up from a Wilder punch and Fury would be a quicker fighter.

Just my opinion though.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 am

A £1 on Joshua, Bustsai, Taylor, Smith, Algieri returns 44p :lol:

stu1

Post by stu1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:54 am

Ferret wrote:I personally think Wilder & Fury would beat Joshua...he wouldn't get up from a Wilder punch and Fury would be a quicker fighter.

Just my opinion though.
I think if they all fought 3x each you’d get a mixture of results. Whilst I’d agree Joshua wouldn’t get up if Wilder caught him flush, the same is true the other way round. Joshua might not have the same 1 punch ko, but he throws combinations and once he knows you are hurt it is game over. Joshua is also a much better boxer, so as long as he doesn’t do anything sloppy early on I’d feel confident he’d take wilder out in the mid rounds.

As for Fury, whilst undeniably the best boxer of the three, his power is nowhere near the same level meaning he needs to ensure he lasts the 12 rounds, which is a tough ask against two ferocious punchers. The Wilder fight epitomised this perfect, despite bossing practically the whole fight he was a second or two away from losing and hit the canvas twice. Obviously the cards were a robbery but Fury will always be susceptible to losing a fight he was clearly winning against Joshua or Wilder..

Slacking student

Post by Slacking student » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 am

Wow Ruiz Jr knocks out Joshua

S-H

Post by S-H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 am

Slacking student wrote:Wow Ruiz Jr knocks out Joshua
I'm glad.

WCpete

Post by WCpete » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:28 am

HA! This pleases me

S-H

Post by S-H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 am

Was that meant to be Joshua's attempt at cracking the US?

The Mexican Butterbean.

ChzMff

Post by ChzMff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:38 am

Why are people pleased that a British heavyweight champion lost? :?

Fair play to Ruiz. Was game as **** and despite his visual appearance, continuously chucked some great combinations. Was concerning how Joshua almost seemed to throw in the towel at the end. You compare that to his opponent who got up after being knocked down and went for it even more.

S-H

Post by S-H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:47 am

Just because he's British, it doesn't mean we have to support him, I'm not a fan and I think avoiding Fury and Wilder was a huge mistake, those fights if they ever happen, have lost their edge now.

Credit to Ruiz, that's got to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of boxing.

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:06 am

Huge credit to Andy Ruiz Jr

For all the mocking of his body and fitness, it was his bodywork on AJ in that 6th that set up the finish

I’ll be surprised if they want to rematch Ruiz Jr straight away, but what choice do they have

S-H

Post by S-H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 am

Notice they want the rematch in the UK. Should be in Mexico.

WCpete

Post by WCpete » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 am

I’m American, but that’s not why I’m amused. I don’t really care about fighter’s nationality. To me Joshua kind of comes off as a bit of a twat. Way too over confident. He tries to play the nice down to earth athlete but it always comes off as smug to me. And, imo he’s been a fight dodger. I’ve heard him talk about wanting to be considered in the same breath with the Ali’s, Lewis’s etc. Fight the real contenders and then you can talk.

Not a fan of Wilder either. He’s arrogant and has an incredibly over inflated opinion of his abilities. At least he fought Fury. And Fury... I like Fury.

S-H

Post by S-H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:55 am

I like Fury.

jacko

Post by jacko » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 am

What an upset. AJ seems like a lovely guy and he has been very well managed. They don’t like to put him up against people with big punches. Ruiz has a fantastic left hook and maybe that’s why they’ve been running away from wilder and fury.

Anyway, I’m sure he’ll win the rematch and it will al be team
AJ tweets and stay hungry hashtags again

costa75

Post by costa75 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:37 am

Congratulations Ruiz on a well deserved win.....

Anyone who had watched Ruiz v Parker knew that this could be a tricky fight for AJ, and so it proved.

I cannot stand boxers who talk about their next fight, and the one after, before winning their current one. AJ has learnt that lesson the hard way.

He needs to do two things now.

1. Ditch his trainer. He has taken AJ as far as he can. AJ has struggled in fights that he should not.

2. Ditch his odious manager Eddie Hearn. Hearn has been protecting his nest egg AJ for far to long. Running from the big fights, while cashing in on supposed easy ones. Everytime I turn on talksport or Skysports Hearn is there talking, talking, talking.

Patito

Post by Patito » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:12 am

Well that’s ****ed up Hearn’s plans hasn’t it?

Chicken Run Supreme

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 am

AJ cannot take a punch. I wouldn't say he has a glass jaw, but in the heavyweight division more than any other, if you cannot take a good punch, then you will end up on the canvas. There's a reason he's been managed the way he has and dodged certain fighters.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:10 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I can't stand Hearn but fair play to him for being able to fool tens of thousands of people of paying for this fight.

Joshua is quickly becoming a bit of a phoney.
Quicker than I thought. Even if he wins the rematch, getting beaten by this chump will never be forgotten.

I can see why he's been swerving Wilder and Fury now.

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:11 am

WCpete wrote:. I’ve heard him talk about wanting to be considered in the same breath with the Ali’s, Lewis’s etc. Fight the real contenders and then you can talk.
Yes it's been embarrassing really.

I wonder if his dim followers will still be calling everyone "haterz" for questioning his ability and track record after this

Dodging that tennis ball and dancing in a WIlliam Hill advert doesn't seem to have done much for his punch avoidance.