Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Samba »

AJ getting a lot of stick but that is all in the rules of boxing. He won by tactics.
If he went in close, he would have got done the same as last time.
Yeah, not as exciting to watch but AJ was clever & tonight, holds 3 belts again.
Ruiz, good & dangerous fighter that he is, didn't have an answer to AJ keeping back out of danger & wearing him out..
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Nesticles wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 pm The fella boxing on the back foot, jabbing and countering the guy who kept plodding towards him barely trying to land a shot
Yeah I watched it too. :thup:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I'm no fan of AJ but last night he did what he had to do. Jab the guy at a distance, keep away from his power punches and keep out of close quarters. Boring boxing for sure, but technically he did what he needed to do. It seems as his chin is a bit suspect, so he keeps it out of harms way. Not all heavy weights can have a chin like Frotch - and he wasn't a heavyweight I know.

He has learned: a fit 6ft six guy only needs to jab at a small 20 stone guy for 12 rounds and keep mobile, avoiding big shots. Job done.

He's gonna do the same with Wilder and Fury - if he actually meets them. He packs a decent punch, a good jab and he has a good engine.

Actually an ex boxer I know compared him to Joe Bugner. I had a quick look at some of Bugner's old fights - and IMHO - he's not wrong.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:16 pm 6’6 and ran away.

I’ve always defended him and a wins a win but Jesus..... :asleep:
Absolutely and there were a couple of occasions where he looked scared. Yes technically he won but that was a very poor and worrying performance. He's not a great mover and not a great puncher, IMO he's going to have major problems when he comes up against boxers with mobility and power.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Jo bugner is a great comparison. I think he could potentially bulk up again and batter wilder if he wanted and try the same with fury. Don’t think the skinny jab n run approach will work against either of them. Really think wilders one punch and fury’s boxing skills have been over exaggerated since Joshua lost to Ruiz. I think Ruiz would cause both wilder and fury loads of problems.
Joshua deserves loads of plaudits for reinventing himself and coming back with a new game plan and also having the courage to stick by his team.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Joshua fought a decent fight. Stick and move. He did what he needed to do without ever really looking like he was going to hurt Ruiz.

However, I think some perspective is needed here. The Heavyweight division lacks any real quality. The way people are talking it's like Joshua beat Tyson. He beat a dough boy who has been partying for the last few months. Yet Joshua never really opened him up in any way. People go on about Ruiz's hand speed, and yes, he can be dangerous, like any boxer but the guy is so out of shape it's a disgrace.

Ruiz has many flaws and to hear people talking like Joshua proved he's some kind of great fighter is just ridiculous. I think a reasonably in shape Ruiz would beat AJ if they fought again. There is always a sense that AJ is going to go down. When he was caught in the 4 or 5th round he looked like he had crapped his pants again but he recovered well to be fair.

It was a good performance, but let's not go overboard.
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Rays Rock wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:04 pm Fury’s last fight was a poor display. Wilder was not pulling up any trees until the knock out punch last week.
But his Knockout punch is all it takes!.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Olympic gold medalist and two time champion of the world. Think it’s fair to say he’s done a bit better than big Frank and audley Harrison, Daniel Williams, herbie hide or Gary Mason.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:26 am I'm no fan of AJ but last night he did what he had to do. Jab the guy at a distance, keep away from his power punches and keep out of close quarters. Boring boxing for sure, but technically he did what he needed to do. It seems as his chin is a bit suspect, so he keeps it out of harms way. Not all heavy weights can have a chin like Frotch - and he wasn't a heavyweight I know.

He has learned: a fit 6ft six guy only needs to jab at a small 20 stone guy for 12 rounds and keep mobile, avoiding big shots. Job done.

He's gonna do the same with Wilder and Fury - if he actually meets them. He packs a decent punch, a good jab and he has a good engine.

Actually an ex boxer I know compared him to Joe Bugner. I had a quick look at some of Bugner's old fights - and IMHO - he's not wrong.
His problem there is they both outreach him. Fury (85") and Wilder (83") have the edge over Joshua at 82", so standing off and jabbing won't produce the same results as it did with Ruiz at 74".
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Joshua boxed well, no getting away from that but it was Ruiz and a ridiculously heavy Ruiz, let's be honest if they hadn't massively underestimated and been arrogant in the first fight, Saturday would'nt of even happened. Out boxing Ruiz is a whole different task to outboxing Fury, potentially Usyk, Wilder's ridiculous power
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

What do you think the real chances of a Fury / AJ fight are?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:33 pm What do you think the real chances of a Fury / AJ fight are?
Very slim. There would be promotional obstacles in both US and UK, then you have to assume both fighters and their teams want that fight.

With mandatories and such, I think you will see Joshua Usyk before you see him fight Fury or Wilder.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Joshua still doesn't want to fight anyone who might hurt him. This is why there is talk of Whyte again...he is on to a good thing and will look to avoid Fury or WIlder for as long as he can. Stay humble.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

He''ll fight Pulev and then Whyte or Usyk if he doesn't look comfortable at heavyweight
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I believe Joshua would fight anyone
Hearn, McCracken and co may have other plans
jacko

Post by jacko »

Nesticles wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 pm I believe Joshua would fight anyone
Hearn, McCracken and co may have other plans
Maybe you're right. WHy take the risk? They are all earning so much money off the back of him.
englebert

Post by englebert »

Joshua doesn't beat Whyte again imo. Whyte has a decent engine these days and Joshua is not going to be able to avoid those left hooks all night.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

I know I’m massively in the minority now but I really really don’t rate wilder at all. I think Ortiz would have struggled against Ruiz or Whyte or Parker or even Chisora. Fury has the best skills but I think his journey way have burnt him out. I also think both the mandatory fights lined up for Joshua are more dangerous than wilder.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Joshua will knock out whyte again

Wilder isn't amazing but has generational power, one punch and it's fight over.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Just watched Daniel DuBois smash up Fujimoto,think he will do the same to Joe Joyce.