Transfer Window: Summer 2008

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Summer Transfer talk

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

carnage wrote: Back Injury - missed 0 games, came on as sub v Lvierpool on the 30th.
Hamstring injury - missed 1 game, played an important part in the Cup Final 2 weeks later.
Groin strain - missed 1 game, FA Cup v Blackburn
MCL ligament - missed 6 games.

So take away the ankle injury (that could have happened to anyone) and the time out,- he has missed about six weeks in about a year?
Not taking any exception to him being labelled as 'injury prone', but compared to proper injury prone players, it doesn't quite fit as well.
Whufc06 wrote:Its not so much that he is injury prone more the fact that he hasn't looked the player that we bought since his ankle injury
But it would happen with most players.
Now after all the grief he has had getting fit, you can tell he has shifted a fair amount of weight, looks leaner, more mobile, quicker and definitely fitter.
Scored a typical Ashton goal with a great finish, set up our winner too.

That doesn't mean we can ignore the poor form he has shown, but in regards to him 'looking like the same player' he is looking more and more like it all the time.
It wouldn't surprise me towards the end of the season if he is looking fitter, faster and sharper than he actually ever has.

Anyone with a little sense could tell you it was stupid to write him off so early.
Give it a while, let him play with some decent players with an extended run in the team and then judge was the call from mine and many other's side.

It is slowly looking to be the most sound advice if i'm being honest...
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:They add up, though, don't they? Fact is, he's yet to play more than four months for us without getting some sort of injury. I'm certainly not wanting to attack the guy, but surely you have to admit his injury record as been far from sparkling since he arrived? And as he had his problems at Crewe too, I don't see why it's such an issue to describe him as injury-prone.
Ankle was impact, so was the back injury wasnt it? If it wasnt for the ankle who knows how many times he would have played last season. Lets see how he does with a full pre-season behind him next year before we judge him. Lots of players may well have played with these injuries as well. Pardew was protective of him, we know that much.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

carnage wrote: Ankle was impact, so was the back injury wasnt it? If it wasnt for the ankle who knows how many times he would have played last season. Lets see how he does with a full pre-season behind him next year before we judge him. Lots of players may well have played with these injuries as well. Pardew was protective of him, we know that much.
Well the stats indicate he probably would have picked up at least one or two injuries in that time, but like you say, you'll never know.

I don't think I'm judging him, really, and I certainly want him to stay and I think he'll be a success, but thus far his injury record is quite poor. I accept the ankle injury was just bad luck, but his recovery time was much slower than anticipated and that comes into it too I think.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: So take away the ankle injury (that could have happened to anyone) and the time out,- he has missed about six weeks in about a year?
Not taking any exception to him being labelled as 'injury prone', but compared to proper injury prone players, it doesn't quite fit as well
I'd say it was closer to ten and he's only came back to full training about eight months ago, but I take your point.
scrutrog

Post by scrutrog »

Just to bring everyone back down to earth a bit, before we get a thousand pages with lists of world class players, i think we should be more worried about who we need to keep hold of this summer, ie: what would rob green say if arsenal came tapping, offering huge money, champions league and straight into the england team because you play for a top four side? This is the season that we see just how good our transfer policy is and how good curbs and the board really are, its easy to get in old and injury prone players who were struggling to get a game at the clubs they were with but keeping hold of our top talent and improving on it will be a huge test of which direction we are headded
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

scrutrog wrote: its easy to get in old and injury prone players who were struggling to get a game at the clubs they were with
Which players we got in are "old and were strugling to get a game"?
scrutrog

Post by scrutrog »

carnage wrote: Which players we got in are "old and were strugling to get a game"?

bellamy, ljunberg, solano, boa morte off the top of my head
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Anyone think Sami Hyypia would be a good shout for a season?

I also think we should try and get Bent(aslong as price is reasonable), Risse, Modric (Maybe a long shot), Wayne Bridge? A left winger and a right back.

OUT: Collins, Pantsil, Boa, Etherington, Mullins, Davenport, Quashie, Camara, Cole, Bowyer.
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

Would be ridiculous if we didn't hardly sign in the summer.

We need some foreign creativity, because we are, frankly, boring to watch.
scrutrog

Post by scrutrog »

I can guarantee that we sign at least one foriegn player, or the club will look a bit stupid employing nani if we only sign english players this window :think:
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

We don't need a huge influx of players over the summer but we do need to improve the quality in some areas. Considering Nani has already been talking to Curbs over possible transfer targets I think it's safe to say we're going to be in the market for some players this summer.

Do we need another striker? Well that depends on how you view the quality of Zamora and Cole. If you say Bellamy and Ashton are our front two then you've got Zamora, Sears and Cole after them. If we bring in another striker then one of them will proberly have to go. Also though Sears has made a fantastic start and is showing big potential we can't put too much pressure on the lad. Hopefully we will continue to go from strength to strength but you can't take anything for granted in football. He's made a great start but it's just a start so far.

Just a general question but what positions do you think we need to bring players in?
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Both full backs (competition for both)
LM/LW
ACM
Striker
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I would be looking at these as priority

RB
LM
CM
CF

I think Neill has struggled for long periods this season and could have done with a bit of bench time but as we have no able replacement he has had to continue playing. Etherington apart I dont think we have another PL quality player at LM, I would buy a 1st choice and make Matty the back up. Another CM (a creative one) would compliment Parker, Dyer and Noble well. Despite the former 2 having collected impact injuries which have been unlucky I wouldn't want to rely on either of them to play more than 90% of the season without being injured. And the same goes for Bellamy and Ashton. As hard as Cole has tried this season he just isn't PL standard and offers no goal threat whatsoever. I honestly think that for about £30m and the right players in these positions that we would be seriously competing for the top 5.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Adi Cokers Boots wrote:Both full backs (competition for both)
LM/LW
ACM
Striker
Right (not that I don't agree with some of what you've said), who do you sell upfront then because you won't be able to have Ashton, Bellamy, Zamora, Cole, Sears and another striker?

Also you said ACM so how do you expect to fit him in with Dyer, Parker, Noble, Bowyer and Mullins?

Not having a go or anything mate just trying to look at it from the other side of the coin. The reason we're 10th in the league is because we've got a strong squad, not many teams would be able to do as well as we have with the players we've had out injured.

Personally I agree with the ACM, I'd get rid of Bowyer (just because I think we need to improve the quality). Left wing I'd put as one of our top transfer targets. Both full-backs might be a bit too optismistic, I reckon we might get one of two. Finally upfront and if we we're to buy a striker I think that means then end for Cole. Another problem with buying another striker is the fact that if we brought someone top quality how would he fit in? I think Duxburry might have it right in buying a young and up and coming striker. Matt Derbyshire anyone?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I watched Bent recently and he looked quite decent playing on his own up front in the CC role. He got stuck in, held the ball up and wasn't afraid to go wide and generally make a nuisance of himself.

However, our natural game isn't 4-5-1 and his goalscoring rate is poor. My Spurs supporting friends say that game was an exception and they are pinning their hopes on Curbishley's known admiration of him and hoping that he'll actually pay money to take him away from WHL.

Me, I woudn't touch him with someone else's bargepole.
simonwebb

Post by simonwebb »

Whufc06 wrote:I would be looking at these as priority

RB
LM
CM
CF

I think Neill has struggled for long periods this season and could have done with a bit of bench time but as we have no able replacement he has had to continue playing. Etherington apart I dont think we have another PL quality player at LM, I would buy a 1st choice and make Matty the back up. Another CM (a creative one) would compliment Parker, Dyer and Noble well. Despite the former 2 having collected impact injuries which have been unlucky I wouldn't want to rely on either of them to play more than 90% of the season without being injured. And the same goes for Bellamy and Ashton. As hard as Cole has tried this season he just isn't PL standard and offers no goal threat whatsoever. I honestly think that for about £30m and the right players in these positions that we would be seriously competing for the top 5.

I persoanlly think we need a classy center midfield playmaker to break down defences especially when at home (God knows who that would be as I think not many will be available in the summer) But I will chuck this one into the mix to see what you all think.

Ibrahim Afellay 21 plays anywhere in midfield although for PSV seems to be mainly left sided watched him a few times and looks the real deal to me great control and a lovley pass on him........

If WHU do not go for him watch out for his name a World star in the making reminds me of a young Jonah Cruyff ( without the 40 fags a day habit)
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

mattcox10 wrote:Would be ridiculous if we didn't hardly sign in the summer.

We need some foreign creativity, because we are, frankly, boring to watch.
Why?

Wait till we 'sign' Bellamy, Faubert and Dyer in the summer and then tell me we need 'foreign' flair.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

A fit team

Players who missed more than three matches in one go this year
Neill,Ferdinand,Gabbidon,Collins, Pantsil,Davenport,Faubert,Solano,Parker,Dyer,Bowyer,Ethrington,Ljungberg, Quashie,Ashton,Belamy,Zamora, Camara, Reid, Boa Morte.

Fit players this year
Wright,Walker,Spector,Mullins,Cole,Green,McCartney,Upson (Currently in doubt)

Irrelevant
Dailly
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Het-Field wrote:Irrelevant
Dailly
The cheek of it all! :shock:

Wash your mouth out.
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote: Right (not that I don't agree with some of what you've said), who do you sell upfront then because you won't be able to have Ashton, Bellamy, Zamora, Cole, Sears and another striker?

Also you said ACM so how do you expect to fit him in with Dyer, Parker, Noble, Bowyer and Mullins?

Not having a go or anything mate just trying to look at it from the other side of the coin. The reason we're 10th in the league is because we've got a strong squad, not many teams would be able to do as well as we have with the players we've had out injured.

Personally I agree with the ACM, I'd get rid of Bowyer (just because I think we need to improve the quality). Left wing I'd put as one of our top transfer targets. Both full-backs might be a bit too optismistic, I reckon we might get one of two. Finally upfront and if we we're to buy a striker I think that means then end for Cole. Another problem with buying another striker is the fact that if we brought someone top quality how would he fit in? I think Duxburry might have it right in buying a young and up and coming striker. Matt Derbyshire anyone?
For me, much as he has worked hard for the cause, Cole is not good enough so he goes.

Bowyer I would put in the same bracket, Mullins also(good backup though).

I'm not saying we would get a starter on both sides at full back, but we need cover for Linda, and although we've got Spector, Neill is far too comfortable and needs someone to pressure him for his place. Again maybe a talented youngster.

And I agree entirely we have done fantastically to be where we are and for that Curbs and the boys get a big :thup: .( see the I lacked vision transfers thread )

But yes a left sided midfielder is top priority :crest: