Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by 1895 »

IIIronss wrote: But those that dont supported Curbs, when Cole come on v Derby and the geniuses sang, 'you don't know what your'e doing'. They all then cheered when he scored, if they had not already left.
The fans that day chanted "You don't know what you're doing" at Curbishley not because he brought Cole on but because he took Sears off.

The whole situation regarding the booing against Derby seems to be totally misread on here.

Get your facts right.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

1895 wrote:The fans that day chanted "You don't know what you're doing" at Curbishley not because he brought Cole on but because he took Sears off.
Whichever way you present it they were still proved wrong.
1895 wrote:I'm sorry but it is. If a poll was taken by Season Ticket Holders only then it would show a massive swing in percentages than this poll.
No, it wouldn't.

It does make me wonder why we bother though; for weeks we've had people imploring us to provide another poll to prove that the majority want Curbishley fired. Now we've done that, and (as it stands) 7 out of 10 disagree with you, it's because there's not enough season ticket holders posting on KUMB :lol:

Though given the actions of a great number of season ticket holders this year perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing at all if a few more refused to renew this summer ...
A wap bam Boogers
Location: In a flat above a bowling alley below another bowling alley

Post by A wap bam Boogers »

westlondonhammer wrote: Johnson has performed extremely well at the lower league but there would be so many questionmarks over how he would perform with the pressure and expectation!
I voted yes not for any not for any love for Curbs or his tactics or our lowest number of manager's record but for the lack of any credible alternatives. I've seen Bristol City a few times this season and its been amazing what Gary Johnson has achieved with a mediocre squad, however have a look at City's goal difference and more importantly goals scorced. I doubt Johnson would do a better job than curbs with the same players and the football would be a lot of kick and rush with wingers tracking back to become extra full backs.

In fact I doubt anyone styled on the Mediterranean school of keep ball would be welcome at Upton park. You want to be entertained in the press conference rather than on the pitch why dont we get that chancer Mouriniho ffs .

The only person I would welcome back is Harry , but I would hide the cheque books and petty cash tin first.

Oh and Trev, but he's too busy taking over the football world
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Marky wrote:Chals makes a good point and thats how I see it, its the people who go who have the issue rather then fans who go to the odd game
So only the people who go to every game can make any sort of rational judgement about what's best for West Ham ? Can't agree with that at all... For sure the people who go pay the money but that doesn't buy them the right to say what's best for the club above anyone else......From my point of view I've been to 8 games this season but during the 70s and 80s I put in a lot of miles supporting the club and kind of feel I've earned the right to give my opinion on the club even though I don't go to every game any more.......Some peoples circumsatances change and they cannot get to games as they once did, doesn't mean their opinion or judgement is lesser than someone who goes to every single game.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Jackanakanory wrote:

I am afraid that clubs around us, Citeh, Newcastle, Sp*rs, Pompey, Villa are gonna spend big and push on more, they have the "character" managers who will sell a club to a player and they can also offer big wages, can Alan do that? Can Nani do that?
Jack - Is this really true?

Satay - had a manager who was well known and spent a fortune. They are about to sack him. Curbishley can at least argue that his flair/forward players have been injured. What was Sven's excuse?

Newcastle - Keegan :lol:

Spurs - who knows what their managers character is? He cant speak English. Year after year, their best players want to leave them...they have gone backwards this year...dont let the Carling Cup disguise that.

Pompey - 7 home games without a goal ("Arry would have been lynched at UP). Defoe and Krancjar apart all Harry has bought are a bunch of big Africans with bugger all flair.

Villa - O'Neill has bought our rejects. He had 12 month start on Curbs....but Curbs could learn from him when it comes to buying players who are fit. Ashley Young apart though all he has done bought are a bunch of big athletes with bugger all flair. Once Gareth Barry walks out (as Mellberg already has) it will fall to pieces. Ashley Young will be next.

If we stay strong, keep our best 11-16 players and keep them fit 80% of the time, we stand a reasonable chance of finishing above all of this lot next season.

Post by 1895 »

Up the Junction wrote: Indeed. And they were still proved wrong.

Why proved wrong? Cole may still well have scored if Sears had stayed on.
No, it wouldn't.

It does make me wonder why we bother though; for weeks I've had people imploring me to provide another poll to prove that the majority want Curbishley fired. Now we've done that, and (as it stands) 7 out of 10 disagree with you, it's because there's not enough season ticket holders posting on KUMB :lol:

Though given the actions of a great number of season ticket holders this year perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing at all if a few more refused to renew this summer ...

This is a KUMB poll and gives a general feeling by those that post on here. Thats fair enough and I voted on it as others have and if Im in the minority then thats fair enough.
On the other hand if a poll was taken by Season Ticket holders outside the ground I believe the results would be different. That was my point.
In the recent Mayoral elections YouGov, The Evening Standard and London Tonight all took polls that produced different results. You get different answers from different groups. :wink:
Regarding STH. If they put their money into the club and want to vent their frustration in the way they feel is best to them then so be it. I for one hope they do renew.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

I honestly believe KUMB represents a fair and sparse proportion of the West Ham fanbase, there's definitely more than enough Curbs' bashers here anyway, I think it just shows the anti-Curbs people at the ground just make more noise than the pro-Curbs.

For instance I'm pro-Curbs but I can never chant 'Curbishley's claret and blue army' as it will be outsung so I just do 'we are West Ham's' and because that is what's sung everyone assumes it's a protest to Curbs, when if the chant started as Curbs, who knows, more might join in.

As for the vitriol towards Curbs at some home games - I think that's simply because a fair portion of our fans are sheep and will just go with the flow. A few people start booing Boa or Cole - loads of people join in and it sounds like a majority - you come on here when you get home and realise that it's not a majority, people at the game all line up to say how embarrassed they felt - the majority, at the game, but their voices aren't heard over the negativity towards Boa.

I believe this poll shows there is a similar situation with Curbs.
A wap bam Boogers
Location: In a flat above a bowling alley below another bowling alley

Post by A wap bam Boogers »

davids cross wrote: So only the people who go to every game can make any sort of rational judgement about what's best for West Ham ? Can't agree with that at all... For sure the people who go pay the money but that doesn't buy them the right to say what's best for the club above anyone else......From my point of view I've been to 8 games this season but during the 70s and 80s I put in a lot of miles supporting the club and kind of feel I've earned the right to give my opinion on the club even though I don't go to every game any more.......Some peoples circumsatances change and they cannot get to games as they once did, doesn't mean their opinion or judgement is lesser than someone who goes to every single game.
As an ex season ticket holder who now can only afford to go to the odd game I have to say those who go home and away each season have more facts at their disposal than the rest of us. If you are just watching West Ham on TV you only see situations with the ball in the picture, then you cant make out how our defense has been set up or how the forwards are reacting off the ball , not to mention which players are consistently putting in the effort.

Post by 1895 »

Roaring Repka wrote:I honestly believe KUMB represents a fair and sparse proportion of the West Ham fanbase, there's definitely more than enough Curbs' bashers here anyway, I think it just shows the anti-Curbs people at the ground just make more noise than the pro-Curbs.

For instance I'm pro-Curbs but I can never chant 'Curbishley's claret and blue army' as it will be outsung so I just do 'we are West Ham's' and because that is what's sung everyone assumes it's a protest to Curbs, when if the chant started as Curbs, who knows, more might join in.

As for the vitriol towards Curbs at some home games - I think that's simply because a fair portion of our fans are sheep and will just go with the flow. A few people start booing Boa or Cole - loads of people join in and it sounds like a majority - you come on here when you get home and realise that it's not a majority, people at the game all line up to say how embarrassed they felt - the majority, at the game, but their voices aren't heard over the negativity towards Boa.

I believe this poll shows there is a similar situation with Curbs.
Don't be stupid. You either like him or you don't. Thats your choice. Theres 3 of us that go together. I hate him and want him to go. Another doesn't like him but feels it may be wrong for him to go now. The other thinks he has done a good job and deserves to stay. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean the other 2 have to dislike him too.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

1895 wrote: Don't be stupid. You either like him or you don't. Thats your choice. Theres 3 of us that go together. I hate him and want him to go. Another doesn't like him but feels it may be wrong for him to go now. The other thinks he has done a good job and deserves to stay. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean the other 2 have to dislike him too.
Obviously the people like yourself, Romford and Sicknote are anti-Curbs with your reasons that you've made clear and I respect that.

I'm saying that sometimes football crowds exaggerate the way they feel about something and what seems like a majority may not be so. Yes there is an element of our support that want Curbs gone and you represent that here but equally if you went to a game you would think that 80% of our fans are booing Boa Morte when it is actually a minority but because of the noise they make, and the fact that some newer or younger fans (a bit of a generalisation admittedly) are swept along and join in, it feels like a lot more.

I know people do it, obviously there are people with a firm opinion but others will get frustrated with one decision and may boo for that but on the whole think he has done a good job but you don't get that impression because all you hear is the negative.

I know this happens sometimes - my brother c*nted off Harewood last season and realised he was wrong, fans booed Neill when he first arrived but cheered as he kept us up, Chelsea fans chanted 'you don't know what you're doing' at Avram then chanted his name this weekend and at Arsenal what seemed like a majority of our fans chanted 'stick you f**king Ljungberg up you arse' when it's clear on here not everyone hates him and many were disgusted by that.

All I'm saying is that it might seem like at games everyone hates Curbs but if you spoke to each season ticket holder one on one away from a match environment I think you'd find the results would be different to what you expect, as has been the case with this poll.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

We should start a new poll with two option;
1) Curbs out, he's a ****.
2) Curbs is a ****, get him out.

People might be happy with the results thereafter.

Post by 1895 »

Roaring Repka wrote: Obviously the people like yourself, Romford and Sicknote are anti-Curbs with your reasons that you've made clear and I respect that.

I'm saying that sometimes football crowds exaggerate the way they feel about something and what seems like a majority may not be so. Yes there is an element of our support that want Curbs gone and you represent that here but equally if you went to a game you would think that 80% of our fans are booing Boa Morte when it is actually a minority but because of the noise they make, and the fact that some newer or younger fans (a bit of a generalisation admittedly) are swept along and join in.

I know people do it, obviously there are people with a firm opinion but others will get frustrated with one decision and may boo for that but on the whole think he has done a good job but you don't get that impression because all you hear is the negative.

I know this happens sometimes - my brother c*nted off Harewood last season and realised he was wrong, fans booed Neill when he first arrived but cheered as he kept us up, Chelsea fans chanted 'you don't know what you're doing' at Avram then chanted his name this weekend and at Arsenal what seemed like a majority of our fans chanted 'stick you f**king Ljungberg up you arse' when it's clear on here not everyone hates him and many were disgusted by that.

All I'm saying is that it might seem like at games everyone hates Curbs but if you spoke to each season ticket holder one on one away from a match environment I think you'd find the results would be different to what you expect, as has been the case with this poll.
If you read what I said in an earlier post I said 'having spoke to STH around me.' The massive impression I get from them is that Curbishley should go.
I don't understand why it has to be away from a match environment. Surely that when you should be getting the impressions from people.
Neil
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Neil »

[quote="

So only the people who go to every game can make any sort of rational judgement about what's best for West Ham ? Can't agree with that at all... For sure the people who go pay the money but that doesn't buy them the right to say what's best for the club above anyone else......From my point of view I've been to 8 games this season but during the 70s and 80s I put in a lot of miles supporting the club and kind of feel I've earned the right to give my opinion on the club even though I don't go to every game any more.......Some peoples circumsatances change and they cannot get to games as they once did, doesn't mean their opinion or judgement is lesser than someone who goes to every single game.[/quote]

As an ex season ticket holder who now can only afford to go to the odd game I have to say those who go home and away each season have more facts at their disposal than the rest of us. If you are just watching West Ham on TV you only see situations with the ball in the picture, then you cant make out how our defense has been set up or how the forwards are reacting off the ball , not to mention which players are consistently putting in the effort.[/quote]

I agree with both of these posts

I am a fan who went a lot in the 70s and 80s but for various reasons marriage. moving, my nerves can't stand it haven't been for a long time now apart from the occasional game

Thing that strikes me about this poll, though, is that everyone (whether or not they go) is voting on the same thing.with an awful lot of the same knowledge Everyone knows we came 10th, everyone knows we had a lot of injuries (for whatever reason) and everyone knows (I haven't seen any disagreement) that we have played very boring football at times etc etc. Those of us who don't go haven't actually had to sit through this boring (but reasonably successful football) I admit so we don't have the shock of it etched on our brains.

:) :)

But, we all want the best for our team, and many of us who don't attend still have quite a lot of football knowledge and can make a reasonable stab at an informed opinion based on the facts as known. For me, I am in the camp that AC should be given more time - I reckon CountryBoy had it about right
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

1895 wrote:Why proved wrong? Cole may still well have scored if Sears had stayed on.
I say proved wrong because we scored three minutes after the substitution had been made. You're quite correct in saying what you do - neither of us can say for sure what would have happened in such circumstances - but IIRC Curbishley took Sears off because he was blowing out of his arse at that point having made little impression on the game (as is not unexpected of a kid making his first ever start). The chants were, IMO, unwarranted as Curbishley clearly did know what he was doing as we scored!
1895 wrote:This is a KUMB poll and gives a general feeling by those that post on here. Thats fair enough and I voted on it as others have and if Im in the minority then thats fair enough.

On the other hand if a poll was taken by Season Ticket holders outside the ground I believe the results would be different. That was my point.
I understand that (and I think we've been here before!), I just fail to see how you can justify/validate that statement bearing in mind the number of ST holders you've spoken with (ie far less than will have voted on this poll).

Without this poll I think it's fair to say one would have been forgiven for thinking the majority of KUMB members were anti-Curbishley. As I've said, the 70% support (at this point) surprises me too.
1895 wrote:In the recent Mayoral elections YouGov, The Evening Standard and London Tonight all took polls that produced different results. You get different answers from different groups. :wink:
Oh absolutely. But we have many ST holders on here backing Curbishley (as we have those who don't) so it's hardly equivalent to polling in the boroughs of Barking and Westminster, for example!
1895 wrote:Regarding STH. If they put their money into the club and want to vent their frustration in the way they feel is best to them then so be it. I for one hope they do renew.
Obviously I disagree. One thing I will say though is that it's nothing new - the last time I jacked it in for good was when Johnny Lyall was being slaughtered. At least then the fans had the excuse that we were on our way down.

I hear the criticisms re:quality of football, but I saw exactly the same under Pardew, Roeder, Redknapp and Lyall. It's nothing new. Maybe it's something to do with the expectations that a billionaire owner brings?
Oh Danny G is wonderful!

Post by Oh Danny G is wonderful! »

I do like Curbishley and I think he should be given at the very least next season to show what he can do.

I pay a lot of attention to what the manager says after a game and how they analyse the performance and what positives and negatives they take from the performance. This at least tells you what they are thinking and what they are happy with and looking to improve for the future.

Pardew was very good at anlaysing what went right and wrong in a game and his post match comments were often worth reading and encouraging that some of the things the fans had a highlighted as problems he had spotted as well.

Curbs as far as i can tell has done the same interview after every game being

" we have done well considering the injuries, the lads gave everything and I am happy with things blah blah blah"

I am sick of reading it game after game

That tells you nothing and doesnt address or acknowledge any frustrations that the fans have or highlight any ways he plans to improve things in future.

He has done a very good job but i think the way he communicates to the fans leaves a lot to be desired.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

If this thread had had no poll, I would have assumed those wanting Curbs out would have been much higher. Because about 50% of the posts have been saying as much. People who want Curbs out are far more likely to a) post about it in the first place and b) argue when someone disagrees.

I personally believe the same applies to those who go to the games. Because you can hear a couple of loudmouths spewing about Curbs having to go for the sake of the game or whatever, doesn't mean there aren't three times as many people whispering 'know-nothing prick' under their breaths. I know plenty of st holders (vast majority of those I know), who want Curbs to stay. But as far as I know only once has one stood up and told someone whinging to shut the f*** up. I would put my life on the majority of st holders wanting Curbs to stay.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Oh Danny G is wonderful! wrote:
He has done a very good job but i think the way he communicates to the fans leaves a lot to be desired.
He talks cobblers before and after games. He is eitehr stupid or thinks we are. :think:
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:If this thread had had no poll
It would be called "Alan Curbishley: the end of season"
:D
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

Up the Junction wrote:Though given the actions of a great number of season ticket holders this year perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing at all if a few more refused to renew this summer ...
I am not sure that KUMB is representative of West Ham fans as a whole because the pro and anti Curbs arguments on this thread are in the main well presented and valid, however, some of the mindless b*llocks you hear spouted at the ground on match days beggars belief.

Some people seem to go to football just so they can let off steam and moan in a way that wouldn’t be acceptable outside a football ground. I’m sure it fulfils some deep psychological need for them.

I have been thinking about getting a season ticket after not having had one for a few years. The thing that puts me off is spending a whole season within earshot of some of the ignorant moaning gobshites that you come across at Upton Park these days.

Like UTJ I hope a few more of these people do give up their season tickets, but I bet they don’t. If instead of going to football they spend their Saturday afternoons bawling ‘you caaant, you don’t know what your ****ing doin’ at the manager of their local Homebase they will soon be locked up.
Oh Danny G is wonderful!

Post by Oh Danny G is wonderful! »

carnage wrote: He talks cobblers before and after games. He is eitehr stupid or thinks we are. :think:
He is extremely boring to listen to on tv, he was on Skysports talking about who was going to win the Premier League title and by the time he finished answering i had totally lost interest in what he was saying.

I dont want the manager to be amazingly entertaining on tv but i think he should have some sort of spark or edge to him which you hope could inspire the players