West Ham sold

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham up for sale

Post by gavind »

that would all make very good sense..

and infact also a very sensible proposal to end the tevez saga issue on selling.

if they feel we are not good enough to play the football zola wants, would they invest to make that possible?
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

kcaj wrote:the origonal teflon don, Scott Duxbery
He's really John Gotti? So the rumours that the 'throat cancer death' was ****ed are true? No wonder we've been recruiting so many Italians.
kesh

Post by kesh »

bubbles1966 wrote: Which is what the dollar/pound was only a couple of YEARS ago.

"Finally in the early 1970's the pound was floated and allowed to settle at levels dictated by free market economics. Since then the pounds to dollars exchange rate has fluctuated between it's lowest value of $1.05 to a high more recently of $2.12, despite various crisis and 'interventions' by governments and central banks"
Exactly - the currency can fluctuate wildly over short periods of time - its dropped over 25% in 3 months and as interest rates tumble so will sterling's value. British goods and assets are getting cheaper by the day for foreign buyers.

I think Ted was hinting that someone may well wait til they think Sterling has hit rock bottom in this currency cycle before buying....because that's when its cheapest for them.

It's hard to see were it'll go, or who you actually believe when trying to interpret the economic situation as a whole. From this credit crunch been traced back to the Democrats in Carter passing policies through congress in the 1970's that more or less forced banks into lending to poor folk so they could buy homes. AAA guaranteed by Fanny Mac et al. Understandable at the time, but things get abused.

Then there's this talk now of a run on the pound. Can't remember the name of the international marker group as such, but the pound has been over-valued for years. It's real worth to the dollar is around about what it is now, and an advantage to been out of the Euro-zone is that we can lower interest's lower then the European Central Bank can and push through fiscal spending. It'd need a culture change. (For instance: instead of clubs owning there grounds in England, unlike on the Continent where there councils build the grounds and lease them out for the clubs as football clubs are seen as a cultural necessity. This would help teams such as Liverpool. Instead of spending it on things that councils don't particularly need to spend the moeny that they've been putting aside for years).

The biggest worry is for the pound, and any currency of it's size and like, is deflation. As seen in Japan. If you go by the last great banking crisis. So i wouldn't worry about a run on the pound just yet. Yes, our national dept is huge, but not as bad as others.
kesh

Post by kesh »

Not that have a clue what most of that means, i'm no economist. :|
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

kcaj wrote:something posted on westhamonline.net about the sale of the club, could be rubbish but does tie in with some of the stuff that has been said on here before:

Asbestos suit on.....The old cliche...."I've heard...."HP....lets say an 'In-house Hammer'...and this is C & P from them

Gudmunnson is looking for cash and has agreed a sale of west ham for £80 million plus another £30 million being held until after the Tevez case is resolved, at which time Gudmunnson will pay half the award from the held cash if West Ham lose. In the event that West Ham do win then he will be an extra £30 mill better off. The new owners are trying to keep things quiet, but they are in fact the same group that considered buying Charlton earlier in the year. That was in fact a dummy bid in order to force the West Ham board into making a decision. The extra clause has been added as the group are anxious to take over before christmas, in order to ensure that West Ham do not get embroiled in the relegation dogfight. Zola is a popular choice with the new regime despite recent results, they just feel that the current squad is too weak to play the type of football he is trying to introduce. Perhaps a bigger shock is that the origonal teflon don, Scott Duxbery, will still have his job when the new owners take over. This is mainly due to his knowledge of the Tevez case and will be reviewed once court action is finished.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt, especially as Gudmundsson has shelled out £110m in cash and loans for WHU already.My understanding is that he is looking for approx £150m, but this figure could come down depending on how desperate he is.The Arabs in question are more likely to be Kuyaiti (Nasser Al-Kharafi ?) than UAE as Zabeel and DIC are owned by Maktoum and they still hold out hopes of getting hold of Liverpool.
Crackity Jones
Has liked: 6 likes

Post by Crackity Jones »

http://cmonyuirons.com/2008/11/fridgeir ... am-united/

Fridgeirsson: ‘BG looking at all possibilities to sell West Ham United’
Nov 18, 2008 Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, Featured Article, West Ham News

Hansa, the holding company of English football club West Ham, requested a moratorium (permitting temporary suspension of payments) yesterday. Björgólfur Gudmundsson, former majority owner and chairman of Iceland’s Landsbanki bank, is the majority owner of Hansa.

According to Ásgeir Fridgeirsson, vice-chairman of the board of West Ham and spokesperson for Gudmundsson, the moratorium was requested to secure the interest of the football club’s owners and of their loan granters, Fréttabladid reports.

Fridgeirsson said it is highly likely that Hansa’s assets will cover all debts and that the moratorium will be extended. He did not want to reveal any specific amounts. The moratorium is expected to speed up the sale of West Ham.

“West Ham is one of the company’s [Hansa’s] assets and the owner is looking at all possibilities in regards to sale,” Fridgeirsson said.

Source Iceland Review Online
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Can someone just sum up what the above post means in simple terms and exactly what it means for West Ham. Is this Fridge basically saying they have to sell now?
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

woodford wrote:i think this one may be arse about face, so to speak,

If there is a doubt as to the sale of WHU, in my opinion, it will be because a buyer is harder to find than you might think

I cannot envisage that anyone wouldnt want to realise their assett given the economic climate and the state of BGs empire. Holding onto a football club on the grounds that you think you can make a profit really doesnt add up against cashing in an assett worth a potential £130m+
That's always been my contention. But if there are Arabs lurking in the background, accompanied by the delicious Ms Staveley, we might yet be saved ...

.. and if my auntie had balls ... :wink:
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

maybe i'm a pessimist but i just cant see a huge line of people wanting to chance that sort of money in the current climate.

Sweeping generalisation, but mega rich people are normally mega rich because they dont throw money around

Countryboy, i think i may have met your aunt years back in Charlie Chans :D
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

woodford wrote:maybe i'm a pessimist but i just cant see a huge line of people wanting to chance that sort of money in the current climate.

Sweeping generalisation, but mega rich people are normally mega rich because they dont throw money around.
Well, just to counter your generalisation, often mega rich people get even richer because they have the brains or bottle to spend against the tide, when there are bargains to be had.

Did I convince you?

Though not. :lol:
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Albie, we're talking about West Ham :lol:

When you read it back you wont have convinced yourself either :lol:
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

woodford wrote:Albie, we're talking about West Ham :lol:

When you read it back you wont have convinced yourself either :lol:
you're right, my glass is now half empty... :lol:
Ted Fenton

Post by Ted Fenton »

Countryboy wrote:That's always been my contention. But if there are Arabs lurking in the background, accompanied by the delicious Ms Staveley, we might yet be saved ...
I've often wondered what was inside Staveley's box. Pardon?
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

kcaj wrote:Scott Duxbery will still have his job when the new owners take over. This is mainly due to his knowledge of the Tevez case
He's kept that well hidden. Shame he couldn't keep other stuff as well hidden too. :lol:
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

simon hammer wrote: He's kept that well hidden
The first time in recent history someone has kept a job through knowing f***-all :lol:
Ted Fenton

Post by Ted Fenton »

Albie Beck wrote:The first time in recent history someone has kept a job through knowing f***-all :lol:
I wouldn't say that - George W and Gordon Brown are 2 recent examples.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Ted Fenton wrote:
I've often wondered what was inside Staveley's box. Pardon?[/quote]

****ing hell everyone's at it now........ Pardon? :lol:
Franksforklifttruck

Post by Franksforklifttruck »

i am knew to this site, is this trap guy deffo ITK?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Franksforklifttruck wrote:i am knew to this site, is this trap guy deffo ITK?
He is regarded as better informed than many... as are one or two other posters....BrownFatwa, JamesofPlumstead plus TheJourno for all things Icelandic....

No one is perfect though and they tend to hear titbits from connections rather than straight from the horse's mouth from what I can gather so dont expect everything to be gospel...... (though we did have Curbishley's son on here in the run up to his departure!).....

Chalks was banging on about the state of the clubs finances / firesales all summer and was pretty much right too....

There are also one or two newspapers, who are often criticised, that called pretty much every major story about West Ham right months in advance of the stories really breaking in the summer...
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Franksforklifttruck wrote:i am knew to this site, is this trap guy deffo ITK?
I'll leave that for you to judge in time. I'm hit and miss on transfers due to the nature how the club now handles the deals. However i like to think i have a good understanding on the direction this club is going.

There are some posters that pass on info which i feel links into what i hear about the club but if you want two reliable rags then look no further than The Independent and The Daily Mail.