Alessandro Diamanti

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Messiah

Re: Alessandro Diamanti

Post by Messiah »

Hi is not a left winger and he is not a right winger. I have yet to see him play off the front man in the support stiker role or behind the front two. When we signed him I thought he was going to play the same role DDM played in the team last year but using him in midfield is a complete waste of time. His tackling and physical ability simply isn't not good enough to play in midfield. I want him to use his ability in the final third not tracking back to help his 19 year old full back.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:People moan at him because he runs down the wing, cuts in and loses the ball. He does this because he isn't a winger, who is being played on the wing. It's not hard to work out is it?
He is a footballer though isn't he?? You're suggesting that him endlessly giving the ball away is due to the fact he's being played out of position...like if he was played 20 feet to the right and ten feet in front of where he is now he will suddenly stop looking like a one trick pony, giving the ball away with his casual flicks and stop strolling around looking like he can't be arsed!!!

He isn't even playing as a winger he's playing as a casual fucktard on the left hand side of an ineffectual midfield. A winger would take on a full back not identify the biggest collection of gold shirts on the pitch, stop, turn and run directly at them!!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I think the biggest problem is that Zola doesn't actually realise how to use him. If he did, I'm sure he wouldn't play him there all the time.

It's fair to say he needs to be a bit more professional about his role...the same as it is that he's out of position. I'm sure that in the right position he'll be able to fulfill his ability, and maybe that will trigger him to lose his baby antics.

He should be acting more grown up giving the circumstances of the club...but he probably thinks he could help the cause more if he wasn't wasted out on the wing. I understand he sometimes tries the impossible, and doesn't look for the easy ball...perhaps that's just his character...I don't know. All I do know is, when playing for Livorno (Ok Serie B) he was played properly, and he ruined practically every defence he came up against. I thik he's good enough for the league. Others may disagree with me though. However, I know it's not a complete excuse for his decisions.

Stanislas should be played there regardless then. Wingers can usually play on both sides to be fair...and I'm sure Stanislas has played on both.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

An enigma. Can't make my mind up on the fella at all.

I'd love it if he was a lazy hands-on-the-hips, eye rolling prima-donna because he'd be easy to hate but he does get about, tries his hardest and seems genuinely up for it. Unlike some.

If he was a completely deluded dreamer banging 'Hollywood' shots from everywhere and trying tricks and flicks well beyond his skill level he'd be easy to drop and though this is this part to his game, a lot of his stuff does come off and a dash of creativity is what this team desperately needs.

Inconsistency is his biggest failing but as others have said that's more to do with some crazy tactical and positional choices than his failings, or is it?, it's hard to say because I've seen him play poorly on the left, and well on the right, I just don't know anymore.

He is perhaps a luxury we can no longer afford, then again in this team he seems the only credible midfield threat and his dead ball skills are good, but are they worth a place on their own?

Jesus I don't know, I give up, I just can't figure out whether to love or hate him. Maybe play him left back or something eh Gianfrnaco :wink:

Regards,
Indecisive Dave.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Sloop John B wrote:
He is a footballer though isn't he?? You're suggesting that him endlessly giving the ball away is due to the fact he's being played out of position...like if he was played 20 feet to the right and ten feet in front of where he is now he will suddenly stop looking like a one trick pony, giving the ball away with his casual flicks and stop strolling around looking like he can't be arsed!!!

He isn't even playing as a winger he's playing as a casual fucktard on the left hand side of an ineffectual midfield. A winger would take on a full back not identify the biggest collection of gold shirts on the pitch, stop, turn and run directly at them!!

Exactly! He doesn't play like a winger because he isn't one. He probably can't get used to the position...which is why he shouldn't play there. All this b*llocks about "he's a footballer" is getting ridiculous. Would you play Rooney on the RW? Would you play Cristaino Ronaldo in CM? Would you play Matthew Etherington at LB? No you wouldn't...so why play a striker on the wing?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He thinks he's better than he is, that's my problem with him. I understand part of his game is his confidence but if he kept it simpler more often he'd not give the ball away 3/4's of the time. I would drop him this weekend.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Martello

All this bollock about being a footballer? :lol:

Plus of course, he isnt a striker. I've read that a hundred times.

Would you play a striker on the wing? Well, Villa (Young/Agbonlahor) do it, Chelsea (Anelka) do it, Liverpool (Kuyt/Babbel)do it, and Man United (Tevez/Rooney)do it. They seem to do ok with it.

Diamanti is supposed to be a footballer - someone who uses their feet for a living - first, and his position (whatever you finally decided it was) second. The only position I wouldnt apply that to is a goalkeeper.

As Sloop says, playing 10 yards further forwards, or tucked inside wont make the childish errors/petulance go away.

He does take a nice penalty though.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Chuck D wrote:He does take a nice penalty though.
Sometimes........
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

The biggest pussy ever to wear a West Ham shirt? I think so, I can't remember anyone fannying out of so many tackles. I know its not his game but we cannot carry a passenger like Diamanti in our present situation.

Zola has Diamanti and McCarthy who are his big signings so he wants them to play but he's also got C.Cole who has to play because he's quality. Zola needs to stop trying to shoe-horn the three in and make a bloody decision because they can't all play, thats for sure.

Have we decided what Diamanti is yet...and don't anybody say he's a bloody Tranqullistra or whatever.
WHamZam

Post by WHamZam »

Wasn`t his 'fighting spirit' supposed to be some of his appeal when he signed? Mind you, he does do a good job of stamping opponents on the shin when they`re not looking :?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

WHamZam wrote:Wasn`t his 'fighting spirit' supposed to be some of his appeal when he signed? Mind you, he does do a good job of stamping opponents on the shin when they`re not looking :?
So he's the biggest pussy and the biggest coward?
WHamZam

Post by WHamZam »

I`d say he is, yes. I had to laugh when he cut down Kevin Davies from behind and got away sharpish. Davies just got up looking as if nothing had happened. I wonder what the scene would be if it were Davies doing the tackling from behind?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Sullivan is in the "not sure "camp......... :lol: He's obviously talking about the balance of the team but it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Sandras ability.

Sullivan "How they bought [Alessandro] Diamanti and sold [James] Collins is beyond my comprehension. If you could change those two players in the team, the team would be better."We are not short of wingers. We're short of centre-halves. Collins is a fantastic player. It was a very, very poor decision to sell the player and use the money to buy Diamanti. A few decisions like that have been appalling".
il_martello_di_genovesi

So because it works for some players...it should work for all of them :lol:.

Poor argument by your standards Chuck...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

davids cross wrote:Sullivan is in the "not sure "camp......... :lol: He's obviously talking about the balance of the team but it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Sandras ability.

Sullivan "How they bought [Alessandro] Diamanti and sold [James] Collins is beyond my comprehension. If you could change those two players in the team, the team would be better."We are not short of wingers. We're short of centre-halves. Collins is a fantastic player. It was a very, very poor decision to sell the player and use the money to buy Diamanti. A few decisions like that have been appalling".
Saw that in the Nations leading newspaper .

Chances of Diamanti starting on Saturday ? Nil .

His lack of positional discipline on Tuesday night was a gift to Wolves .The point Sullivan is making is spot on , with limited funds , and choices to be made , the wrong choice was made .

There is no chance whatsoever Zola will be given money to spend in the summer by the current owners .
beckton

Post by beckton »

He is a 26 year old coming up to 27, a forward that has spent most of his career in Seria B, someone would have snapped him up long ago if he was as good as some people claim.

Unless we have a freekick or corner we are playing with 10 men and now we really are in the thick of it we need everyone to put a shift in even if it means scraping a few nil nils.

I might bring him on for the last 20 minutes of a game if we are behind.
il_martello_di_genovesi

beckton wrote: a forward
Indeed... :thup:.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:So because it works for some players...it should work for all of them :lol:.

Poor argument by your standards Chuck...
Not really though is it...when you're asking would you play Rooney on the wing and Chuck counters that Utd do play him wide and did for most of last season that's pretty good arguing I'd say, and now your changing your line that it may work for some players!! :|

For me Passion is getting your foot into the tackle not pulling it out last minute and pirouetting over the opposition player and rolling around waving at the ref, I'll bet the same people that are fooled by him were fooled by Di Canio's passionate theatrics!!!

He's not without his use and does offer something none of the other current players do, but at the moment for every good thing he does there's half a dozen shitshots/bottle job tackles etc!!
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Never thought i would say this but we really do miss boa morte and never more so than now imo, i agree he has to be dropped and in reality he is an impact player at best, i do think though that zola is making him look even worse than he probably is by not only playing him on the wing but playing him on the right wing, a winger he is clearly not, the problem we have is junior will probably come in to replace him but will go on the left with behrami on the right ( unless dyer is fit :D ) for me juniors a decent player when he plays on the right, he goes looking for the ball and tries to get involved, but he is the exact opposite on the left, basically we are crying out for a decent leftie but we don't have one so maybe we have to change formation again, the diamond again perhaps???
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Sadly, Premier League (well English league generally) football is not American Football and you cant just bring a bloke on to take the free kicks, pens etc.
That being the case Diamante will never be good enough.
He'll be back in Italy in time for the summer holidays.