Stratford 2012 [POLL]

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Post Reply

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
376
55%
No
146
21%
Depends
163
24%
 
Total votes: 685

User avatar
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am
Location: Always censored, never quiet

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by The Rebirth » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by The Rebirth on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16359
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Pop Robson » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 pm

The Rebirth wrote:We cannot let this happen.

I have e-mailed the club and will wait to see their reply.

I know we all take the piss out of Northern clubs and their poxy petitions/protests but if Gullivan think that watching football from that distance is acceptable (@£30+ a pop) then they can take a running jump! We need to make sure they know that we are dead against the running track.

After all we're the ones who have to fill this 60k stadium
I agree, where do I sign. To sit back and accept moving to a 2nd rate stadium with a bloody running track, what is wrong with a proper football stadium.

Same old West Ham trying to do it on the cheap.

User avatar
Pop Robson
Posts: 16359
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm
Location: Looking for the 50,000

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Pop Robson » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 pm

HAMMERS 'HOPEFUL' OF OLYMPIC MOVE

West Ham are "hopeful" of moving to the Olympic Stadium after the London 2012 Games.................................................

.............................
The OPLC is still to confirm how many bids have been made. It will be less than the 100-plus registrations on its website which includes journalists and people seeking information about the bidding process.

Their plans included a 55,000-60,000 capacity stadium - "our optimum size," the spokesman said. This could potentially be achieved by widening and putting in different types of seating from its Olympics use.

The spokesman added: "We feel that the stadium itself should be left as untouched as possible.

"It should stay the same height but we should look at the roof to see if it could be extended so that it could cover all seats in football mode.".......................




More here: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... 11045.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


As I've said done on the cheap spending as little as possible, slightly different seats to cut capacity down and that is it, still keeping the port-a-cabins for toilets and kiosks. :thdn:

Imagine your view at the Boleyn Ground now, well imagine the touch line starting at the centre spot and that still isn't far enough.

User avatar
AJ
Posts: 7626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by AJ » Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

I go to some games at non league AFC Hornchurch which has a small running track around it, and it totally spoils the atmosphere and view in my opinion, would rather stay at the Boleyn Ground and redevelop the east stand.

I cant forsee there being cheap tickets at the olympic stadium either or if there are they will be top tier seats in the corner.

We would also be leasing the olympic stadium so any future cash flow problem would then create a major concern, plus it would be harder to guarantee loans.

ric92
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by ric92 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:48 pm

We should stay and develop the Boleyn over going to a stadium with a ****ing running track!! We could easily bump the capacity upto 50k or so and we could stay in a stadium that is part of our heritage!! Tbh we could probably move into the OS on our own terms 10 years down the line when they realise no one gives a **** about athletics and the stadiums just rotting lol

MacGill
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:39 am

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by MacGill » Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 pm

You were all warned. You were all told of what the plans were. You were all given plenty of chance to make your feelings known.

The Olympic Stadium was never in the best interests of West Ham United and the sale of the Boleyn Ground is purely to further reduce the debt and make the owners' jobs far easier in the future as a huge chunk of the debt is immediately removed. Forget the tradition, forget the heritage, forget the fact we won't have a ground, forget the needs of the fans. Money, money, money!

West Ham United no more. Now it is David Gold and David Sullivan United. They now regard themselves bigger than the club!

The Olympic Stadium's 8 Steps To Hell:-
1. An athletics track to restrict the view of thousands of fans. Hated worldwide by fans from Juventus to Brighton.
2. West Ham United will no longer own the ground they play at. Short-term thinking from two money men.
3. There is no evidence to suggest West Ham United could even come close to filling 60,000 seats every other week.
4. The facilities within the stadium are non-existant and would require huge upgrades to satisfy thousands of football fans.
5. With cricket, concerts and god knows what going on during the year, the pitch will require huge work to keep up to standard.
6. The cost of the conversion after the Games will run into the tens of millions of pounds and even then will not be ideal.
7. Messrs. Gold and Sullivan appear keen to attract corporates to games and young scallywags with cheap tickets.
8. West Ham would be unable to move into this ground until 2014/15 at the earliest.

User avatar
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire
Posts: 19352
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:15 pm
Location: West Ham Way

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Northern Paulo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:02 am

Are you a journo for the Daily Mail? :lol:

User avatar
Mike420
Posts: 2575
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 pm

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Mike420 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 am

MacGill wrote:You were all warned. You were all told of what the plans were. You were all given plenty of chance to make your feelings known.

The Olympic Stadium was never in the best interests of West Ham United and the sale of the Boleyn Ground is purely to further reduce the debt and make the owners' jobs far easier in the future as a huge chunk of the debt is immediately removed. Forget the tradition, forget the heritage, forget the fact we won't have a ground, forget the needs of the fans. Money, money, money!

West Ham United no more. Now it is David Gold and David Sullivan United. They now regard themselves bigger than the club!

The Olympic Stadium's 8 Steps To Hell:-
1. Fair point
2. If they wanted to make money then they wouldn't have bought a football club let alone west ham. There's easier ways to make money in the world...
3. Let say 50,000, with cheap to almost free seats might help, but could be a problem
4. Not your worry
5. Not your worry
6. Not your worry
7. Welcome to the world of football
8. Not a problem

Liamj
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Upminster

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Liamj » Tue May 18, 2010 11:37 am

My Pal sent an email to west ham (in response to the 10 point plan) arguing against the Olympic Stadium with a running track.

Got a quick reply from Ian Tompkins Corporate Affairs Director who gave him his phone no and asked him to call.

The fella was happy to talk about the plans and the gist of what he said was....

"At the moment it is merely an expression of interest and they would be
failing in their duty if they did not put in some application as when
will the chance ever come again?

The track is non negotiable. It is not a case of getting our foot in the
door and then getting rid of the track.


We own the land at the Boleyn and with Newham council on board the area
becomes much much attractive as an area of regeneration as the council
own large tracts of land around the stadium.

The area behind the goals will have the poorest view and accordingly
these will be the cheapest seats. The upper tier would not be used and would have screens.

There would have to be new roof to cover all seats
All seats would be replaced as current ones unsuitable.


They will look at all possible engineering solutions to not have the
running track there during match days but cannot dig down. This is not
due only to the water table which they believe they could overcome but
the cost of removing the soil which is contaminated.

Obviously they would want corporate facilities and they will draw up
designs for this.


Pointed out that this is purely an expression of interest and it may
well be that we still say no when it comes down to the cost and who
picks up the tab.

We are looking for a long lease rather than outright ownership.

The club will create a virtual view on the website should they get the
go ahead of status as preferred bidder.
They should know if they are preferred bidder between June and March.


They will be looking to engage fans through getting them to visit the
stadium and will definitely gauge opinion."

Fair play to the fella for coming back so quick and providing his number (office & mobile) to call. Hope this is a sign of things to come and that we will be listened to....whether anything comes of it is another question :)

User avatar
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Posts: 9736
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by hadleighhammer » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

The Rebirth wrote:We cannot let this happen.

I have e-mailed the club and will wait to see their reply.

I know we all take the piss out of Northern clubs and their poxy petitions/protests but if Gullivan think that watching football from that distance is acceptable (@£30+ a pop) then they can take a running jump! We need to make sure they know that we are dead against the running track.

After all we're the ones who have to fill this 60k stadium
I would sign, but it's not acceptable at any price. I'd jack the ST in even if it was redcued and just do the aways, which would actually mean watching West Ham in a football stadium.

User avatar
Whitters
Posts: 6035
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: On the Lake Geneva shoreline

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Whitters » Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 pm

The Rebirth wrote:I know we all take the piss out of Northern clubs and their poxy petitions/protests but if Gullivan think that watching football from that distance is acceptable (@£30+ a pop) then they can take a running jump!
Luckily there will be the facilities at the stadium to allow them to do this.

Maybe its going to be a regular half-time entertainment feature as laid out in the '10 point plan'? Each week the two Daves compete against each other in the Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump or Pole Vault for a chance to be the one appearing on TalkSport or 5Live that week.

User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Posts: 40100
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Purveyor of Great and unmatched wisdom

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by the pink palermo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:18 pm

MacGill wrote: from Juventus to Brighton
Would make a great name for a fanzine , possibly the only time those two clubs have been mentioned in the same breath . From the Old Lady to a couple of Old Queens so to speak .

User avatar
GideaParkHammer
Posts: 6283
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Ich Bin Ein Berliner

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by GideaParkHammer » Tue May 18, 2010 12:35 pm

This is not a reccommendation, this is just how bad tracks are viewed, Fans of Cagliari hated the tracks so much, the club was forced to do this.

Image

Image

User avatar
Georgee Paris
Posts: 21644
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:07 pm
Location: RUSH HOUR CRUSH

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Georgee Paris » Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Knowing West Ham we will succeed in making a decent stadium look even more p**** than most would think humanly possible!

User avatar
Hammer Smith
Posts: 3204
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:43 pm
Location: In the shadows

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Hammer Smith » Tue May 18, 2010 12:41 pm

This whole Olympic Stadium business is beginning to sound more like a circus big top than a football stadium.
Last edited by Hammer Smith on Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Whitters
Posts: 6035
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: On the Lake Geneva shoreline

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Whitters » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Looking at the Caligiari pic and the ones of the OS on the NOTW site, even the side stands look a hell of a distance from the pitch, much, much worse than even the Chicken Run is today

User avatar
whufc32
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by whufc32 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:50 pm

UTJ can we have another poll on the stadium, a lot of us have changed our minds i'd say!

User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Posts: 40100
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Purveyor of Great and unmatched wisdom

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by the pink palermo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Cagliari ?

Wasn't that where the supposed Italian Bidder was from ?

Talk about be careful what you wish for .Dodged a bullet there chaps and chapesses .

User avatar
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am
Location: Always censored, never quiet

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by The Rebirth » Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Liamj wrote:My Pal sent an email to west ham (in response to the 10 point plan) arguing against the Olympic Stadium with a running track.

Got a quick reply from Ian Tompkins Corporate Affairs Director who gave him his phone no and asked him to call.

The fella was happy to talk about the plans and the gist of what he said was....

"At the moment it is merely an expression of interest and they would be
failing in their duty if they did not put in some application as when
will the chance ever come again?

The track is non negotiable. It is not a case of getting our foot in the
door and then getting rid of the track.


We own the land at the Boleyn and with Newham council on board the area
becomes much much attractive as an area of regeneration as the council
own large tracts of land around the stadium.

The area behind the goals will have the poorest view and accordingly
these will be the cheapest seats. The upper tier would not be used and would have screens.

There would have to be new roof to cover all seats
All seats would be replaced as current ones unsuitable.


They will look at all possible engineering solutions to not have the
running track there during match days but cannot dig down. This is not
due only to the water table which they believe they could overcome but
the cost of removing the soil which is contaminated.

Obviously they would want corporate facilities and they will draw up
designs for this.


Pointed out that this is purely an expression of interest and it may
well be that we still say no when it comes down to the cost and who
picks up the tab.

We are looking for a long lease rather than outright ownership.

The club will create a virtual view on the website should they get the
go ahead of status as preferred bidder.
They should know if they are preferred bidder between June and March.


They will be looking to engage fans through getting them to visit the
stadium and will definitely gauge opinion."

Fair play to the fella for coming back so quick and providing his number (office & mobile) to call. Hope this is a sign of things to come and that we will be listened to....whether anything comes of it is another question :)
Last edited by The Rebirth on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hammer Smith
Posts: 3204
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:43 pm
Location: In the shadows

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Hammer Smith » Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

The Rebirth wrote:The track is non negotiable. It is not a case of getting our foot in the door and then getting rid of the track.
In that case it's time to look elsewhere then.

Post Reply