The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

Hammer110

Re: The Olympic Stadium

Post by Hammer110 »

Unless you start substantive work planning permission used to expire after 5 years, since 2005 this is now only 3 years, so it must have expired.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

mywhufc wrote:I will email Ian Tompkins and get him to confirm that pp has expired. Once that is the case I will remove that line. I must admit I got that from a detailed report put in a programme by Scott duxbury a couple of seasons ago. I just assumed it was still valid . I'll look back and find your comments and reply tomorrow. Watching the cricket at the moment

Something we can finally agree on :thup:
smfc

Post by smfc »

Romford wrote:Haven't been to Athens no....but if you have a quick butchers at The Maracana, the most popular stadium in the World, you will notice the shape of the Stadium.
This isn't a rhetorical question but what makes it the most popular stadium in the world? Also unless I've suddenly developed alzheimers the Maracana doesn't have a running track around it.
submerged

Post by submerged »

looks like theyre gonna wait nd see if we're going down?? from the guardian this morning...

It had originally been hoped that the OPLC would confer preferred bidder status on one of the clubs by the end of the month, but that now looks unlikely. It has promised to come to a final decision by the end of the financial year in April.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Planning permission for East Stand has expired.
However there is no real reason why it should not be passed again.
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

mywhufc wrote:sorry for delay in answering, didn't realise you had replied.

from where i sit its lot near than it would be if there was a running track. but also i have friends with children who sit next to me, rev brook is the family seating area and i have sat there since i started bringing my daughter and nephew in 2005. before that i was west upper, for a couple of years ., before that i was west lower next to the bobby, moved cause view was crap. before that i was bobby lower, moved when my friends didn't renew. before that east lower, moved as the cost nearly doubled in the space of 3 seasons and as i had a young family justifying my £600 season ticket to my wife was not easy.before east lower i stood on the north bank till it was knocked down. and before that i started offing row U west upper a block in 1977 with my uncle and up until 1980 when we managed move to row L. that lasted till 1983 when he thought that aged 13 i didn't need him to accompany me any more, thats when i moved onto the north bank. BUT WHAT THE f*** ITS GOT TO DO WITH THE MOVE TO STRATFORD WHERE I SIT I STILL DONT GET.
STB Upper, West Upper, West Lower (Crap view)... And you are complaining about a move to the OS. Unbelievable.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

In regards to the East Stand planning permission, the Icelanders pulled it back in April 2007 http://pacaps.newham.gov.uk/PublicAcces ... YFCJYXC287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott Duxbury was actually allegedly telling porkies in his KUMB interview (I never saw what was written in the programme), he managed to contradict himself on page one alone. No renewed planning application was submitted to Newham Council outline or otherwise.

Scott Duxbury interview with KUMB, I have c&p the relevant quotes.

SD: So what I've done is put planning permission in for the East Stand, which we've got. I think we've got a five-year window, maybe longer where we can redevelop that stand with corporate premium seats.

SD: It's only outline but that then will allow us to increase the capacity to about 43-44,000 with corporate offerings and allow us then to increase our percentage of premium seats to round about 10% - which to me would be ideal.

Full Interview: http://www.kumb.com/qa.php?id=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beckton

Post by beckton »

Pop Robson wrote: Scott Duxbury was actually allegedly telling porkies in his KUMB interview (I never saw what was written in the programme), he managed to contradict himself on page one alone. No renewed planning application was submitted to Newham Council outline or otherwise.

The Duxster telling fibs, never! :shock:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

smfc wrote: This isn't a rhetorical question but what makes it the most popular stadium in the world? Also unless I've suddenly developed alzheimers the Maracana doesn't have a running track around it.
It could have had two running tracks around it !!!

It has held the most fans for a football match....
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

[quote="RomfordIt could have had two running tracks around it !!!

It has held the most fans for a football match....[/quote]

Yeah but that was in 1950 and you can imagine the free for all that was.

That ground longed needed a lick of paint. If you was designing a ground for football now you wouldn't use the Maracana in 1950 as the model you would aim for.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Romford wrote:
It could have had two running tracks around it !!!
Only if the were mini tracks for midgets.

Romford wrote: It has held the most fans for a football match....
On that basis, the Rungrado May Day Stadium in North Korea is now the most "popular" stadium in the world. ;)

Do you remember how depressing the Maracana looked that famous day we beat them, (can't remember what year, but it was "that" Barnes goal)? All you could see were empty seats in such a large bowl.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

GideaParkHammer wrote: Do you remember how depressing the Maracana looked that famous day we beat them, (can't remember what year, but it was "that" Barnes goal)? All you could see were empty seats in such a large bowl.
That was because The District line was up the swannee and everyone walked to Goodmayes
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

comeonyouirons wrote:
STB Upper, West Upper, West Lower (Crap view)... And you are complaining about a move to the OS. Unbelievable.
Yet all closer to the pitch than if having to watch football at an Athletics stadium.

The West Upper is Band 1, where the Execs sit, and where the Journos sit, so I'd say that is a very good view, better than anything at the OS.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ooh look who it is wrote:yeah but that was in 1950 and you can imagine the free for all that was.

That ground longed needed a lick of paint. If you was designing a ground for football now you wouldn't use the Maracana in 1950 as the model you would aim for.

Im not saying it should be a benchmark...but the running track is not the huge deal those are making of it mate
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

GideaParkHammer wrote: On that basis, the Rungrado May Day Stadium in North Korea is now the most "popular" stadium in the world. ;)

Do you remember how depressing the Maracana looked that famous day we beat them, (can't remember what year, but it was "that" Barnes goal)? All you could see were empty seats in such a large bowl.
Mid 80s

Did you Wiki that ?
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Believer »

Team Beckham will win this for spurs IMHO
comeonyouirons

Post by comeonyouirons »

hadleighhammer wrote: Yet all closer to the pitch than if having to watch football at an Athletics stadium.

The West Upper is Band 1, where the Execs sit, and where the Journos sit, so I'd say that is a very good view, better than anything at the OS.
Is that with or without the crap view that was mentioned!

Where was band 1 of the West Upper previous mentioned? Smoke and mirrors again? :wink:

Atmosphere was previously mentioned... Well to sit in them parts of the BG atmosphere must be a low priority! Because the atmosphere that's left in the BG you won't find in them seats!
Yorkshire 'ammer

Post by Yorkshire 'ammer »

Believer wrote:Team Beckham will win this for Sp*rs IMHO
Wouldn't be at all surprised G&S end up getting blinsided by Levy right at the death. I hope I'm wrong as I'm very part of the pro-brigade, but I've got a nasty feeling Spurs will get it.

Nothing to back that up, of course.....just a feeling.
comeonyouirons

Post by comeonyouirons »

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote: Wouldn't be at all surprised G&S end up getting blinsided by Levy right at the death. I hope I'm wrong as I'm very part of the pro-brigade, but I've got a nasty feeling Sp*rs will get it.

Nothing to back that up, of course.....just a feeling.
And then listen to the current 'anti brigade' moan in years to come.
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

mywhufc wrote:I will email Ian Tompkins and get him to confirm that pp has expired. Once that is the case I will remove that line. I must admit I got that from a detailed report put in a programme by Scott duxbury a couple of seasons ago. I just assumed it was still valid . I'll look back and find your comments and reply tomorrow. Watching the cricket at the moment
A very good reason for not replying. Fantastic viewing. Thanks for offering to email Ian Tompkins for confirmation. I think though subsequent posts have confirmed that PP has indeed expired.