The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

GideaParkHammer

Re: Stratford 2012: the running track [POLL]

Post by GideaParkHammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:No point editing my post, as it's been quote.

Drunken pillock
I thought you was getting in touch with your emotional, feminine side.. :wink:
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:No point editing my post, as it's been quote.

Drunken pillock
Drunken yet spot on. :thup:
m-h

Post by m-h »

Well said, i hope they do listen. :thup:

Cheers.
bornblowingbubbles

Post by bornblowingbubbles »

MacGill wrote:So over 70% of West Ham United fans don't want to move into the Olympic Stadium if it includes, as David Gold, David Sullivan and Karren Brady would like, an athletics track. This is the 2nd huge dent in the Sullivan and Gold masterplan, after 75% of fans voted against having Avram Grant as the club's next manager in the official poll on this very website. That is an incredible vote of no confidence in the major decision making of the club's 2 owners. Two massive decisions and over 70% disagree with both!

If point 10 of the infamous "10 Point Pledge" is introduced, as promised, the club will not hire Avram Grant and the club will not move into the Olympic Stadium, if it still contains a running track. Will you stand by your words Mr. Gold and Mr. Sullivan?
Just playing devils advocate here but it's actually 70% of about 250 people on this one site, I'm not saying that that's not indicative of the whole supporter base bust at the moment all we've got is 175 people against the idea, do you honestly believe they're going to be bothered by that? Add a couple of zeros on the end of that and maybe they'd take notice but it's quite insignificant in the scheme of things.

I know people asked for the original poll to be change to with or without running track but it still doesn't cover the whole scope of options in terms of any changes that could be made to the lower tier and I think some of the arguments against are quite narrow minded.

We can't redevelop the east stand at the Boleyn because the local infrastructure couldn't handle the extra people whereas the infrastructure around the OS has been designed specifically for that purpose. And the notion that the Boleyn holds our history... The Boleyn looks nothing like it did even when I first started going in the 80's (other than the east stand which just looks embarassing now). I have great memories of the north bank terrace and the walk to the Boleyn on match days but we have to accept that for the club to remain competative we need to move, whether that's to a new stadium on back near the Memorial Ground site or to the OS remains to be seen. What is important is that the true West Ham fans stick with the team as we're the ones that keep the identity of the club alive no matter where we play. That's why it bothers me that so many people say they'll never go again if we move, the atmosphere isn't based on the track being there or not it's based on us being there making the noise (something we already lack).

I understand that there's reservations but people go completely against something before they even have the full picture, people have different opinions on things but if that is the direction we go I'd like to think our fans would stick with it and make it the best we can. If our fans can turn their backs that easily that they're really no better than the 'plastics' some people on here keep complaining about.
LongShot
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by LongShot »

If you are so sure that vast majority of fans who don't frequent the forum wouldn't mind the track then why doesn't someone set up an independent site giving all the info and the ability to vote for their final decision. Then just whack up some posters pre-game and give someone a loudspeaker. That's how you do it...
GideaParkHammer

1/ Most polls are subjective, however West Ham have a database that most marketing companies would envy. Not only do they have a list of STH, Members and those that have registered on the website, they have lists of those that do not longer attend. These are the people the club should be seeking the opinion of. This would give them a guide to the potential impact of the move.
However the club would have to clearly lay out their plans.
2/ We can only go by the options given. West Ham, the ODA and the 2018 Bid Document have all claimed that a track will stay, and there will be no temporary seating. I frequent a forum frequented by architects and engineers, and as yet not one single person has offered a realistic and cost effective alternative. It has only been 6 years since we won the Olympics lol, but if anyone does offer an affordable alternative then my view could change
3/ As I said, there is no evidence to suggest that the “full picture” will change from the “current picture”. When at least 3 organisations insist that the track will remain, then we would not be smart to bury our heads in the sand and hope that the “picture” changes.

As for people threatening to leave being plastic, sometimes you need to ask yourself how far would you be pushed? I have still returned after 3 relegations, years of nothing, and the Bond Scheme that nearly killed the club. I would probably still go if they played at the OS, but I fear for future generations. I got hooked because my heroes like Brooking seemed inches away. A small kid watching from 30 metres away may not be so easily hooked.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Not commented yet but voted NO to the running track idea a while ago.

There's no way I would bother my arse and bank balance to travel 150 miles to the OS in the hope of 'seeing' a game across a running track. You'd need to take a decent pair of bino's to the game judging by the pics posted on here of stadia with running tracks in place.

To me, every time I go to the BG, its a special occasion. The sounds, sights and smells are what make it a day out. Whilst we all bemoan the atmosphere as it is, does anyone really think it would improve at a characterless bowl of a stadium, with the fans being so far from the action?

If the two Daves are as West Ham as they say they are and are determined to move, then knock the existing thing down and build a prurpose built stadium.
m-h

Post by m-h »

If i remember correctly, read an article, that the upper tier and roof would be removed after the games with the idea of selling it to the next host of the Olympics. This would just leave the lower tier and shallow elevated seating. The whole stadium, was an ill thought out, bad design, over budget, waste of tax payers money. Once the Olympics are over and the realisation sets in, the running track and its athletics legacy will be pushed aside. Likely the David's know this and feel they can get in on the cheap. IMHO with the uprades that would need to be done just to make it a football stadium, i.e a permanent roof covering all the seating, corp boxes, loos and concession areas, probably better to redevelop the Boleyn ground or build a new stadium. It amazes me how these so called experts and politicians arbitrarily sign of off on this crap in the first place. Can't even get the grass to grow at Wembley and that only cost.......

Better enjoy the next few seasons at our existing manor as i fear they are going to move us.

The OS stadium, nice body shame about the boat race. :think:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bornblowingbubbles wrote:Just playing devils advocate here but it's actually 70% of about 250 people on this one site, I'm not saying that that's not indicative of the whole supporter base bust at the moment all we've got is 175 people against the idea, do you honestly believe they're going to be bothered by that? Add a couple of zeros on the end of that and maybe they'd take notice but it's quite insignificant in the scheme of things.
I think they/you should be bothered. You can stick as many noughts on as you like but I guarantee it won't waver by more than 5% either way. 250+ is a good enough indication; MORI's pre-election polls, for example, surveyed on average between 1,000-1,200 people - and they didn't do too bad, did they!
bornblowingbubbles wrote:I know people asked for the original poll to be change to with or without running track but it still doesn't cover the whole scope of options in terms of any changes that could be made to the lower tier and I think some of the arguments against are quite narrow minded.
There is no scope for change - at the moment. That much had been made clear.
bornblowingbubbles wrote:We can't redevelop the east stand at the Boleyn because the local infrastructure couldn't handle the extra people.
As you're picking up on the 250, what's this based on? Everyone who has submitted plans previously apppeared to believe it could be done.
bornblowingbubbles wrote:And the notion that the Boleyn holds our history... The Boleyn looks nothing like it did even when I first started going in the 80's (other than the east stand which just looks embarassing now).
Not the point, is it? My father, grandfather and Christ knows who else had season tickets in that stadium. I've no ties with Stratford whatsoever.
bornblowingbubbles wrote:I understand that there's reservations but people go completely against something before they even have the full picture.
I think it's fairly clear that a running track is mandatory. That's a big enough picture for most (or circa 75%).
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

If the running track has to stay, then there is no way in a million years we should touch that ground with a 10ft barge pole. If we do move there with the track, I for one will never go over there again.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Up the Junction wrote:I think it's fairly clear that a running track is mandatory. That's a big enough picture for most (or circa 75%).
But exactly how is it expected to work?

I voted undecided.
Mainly because I've no idea of how the running track is planned to be incorporated alongside West Ham's needs.

If it is the case that there will be a running track around the pitch when West Ham are playing, I'd be dead against the idea. I do like the fact that the Boleyn has always had the crowd breathing down the players necks

If some sort of compromise could be reached, which allows all the athletics meets to go on as they hope, but allowed West Ham to change the stadium around for football matches so there would be no running track, and that the crowd would be close to the pitch, I wouldn't be against the idea

I appreciate that moving away from the Boleyn is not an easy step to make. All my memories, and family history, relating to West Ham has all happened inside that stadium. But if I could be convinced that the olympic stadium could become a true new home for West Ham (and not just a stadium we happen to turn up in every couple of weeks), I could be persuaded to accept the move. I guess part of it is that as my family are from Forest Gate, I have many memories of Stratford from my childhood. But it would have to be a very good package, in terms of properly being the home of West Ham Utd., before I'd be happy to consider it
GideaParkHammer

To be honest debate is good, but the actual poll is fairly simple. It is do you want to move to a stadium with a track? It is not asking "what ifs?" like "would you like to move to the OS if the whole ODA decided that we could convert it into a purely football stadium, and if G&S paid for the whole conversion?", To me that is simple, I love to argue about the technical difficulties in creating a football stadium at the OS, but again this is not what is being asked. If an alternative solution becomes available, then yes we will need a new poll.

SO SIMPLY DO PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE TO A STADIUM WITH A TRACK IN PERMANENT PLACE?
m-h

Post by m-h »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:

If some sort of compromise could be reached, which allows all the athletics meets to go on as they hope, but allowed West Ham to change the stadium around for football matches so there would be no running track, and that the crowd would be close to the pitch, I wouldn't be against the idea

I appreciate that moving away from the Boleyn is not an easy step to make. All my memories, and family history, relating to West Ham has all happened inside that stadium. But if I could be convinced that the olympic stadium could become a true new home for West Ham (and not just a stadium we happen to turn up in every couple of weeks), I could be persuaded to accept the move. I guess part of it is that as my family are from Forest Gate, I have many memories of Stratford from my childhood. But it would have to be a very good package, in terms of properly being the home of West Ham Utd., before I'd be happy to consider it
Perhaps there could be a pre game cricket match or athletics meeting. If we are going to move, it should be for West Ham only and should be redeveloped as solely a football stadium. Personally think the whole thing is a crap idea and will just dilute the clubs heritage. Money talks i guess.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

GideaParkHammer wrote:SO SIMPLY DO PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE TO A STADIUM WITH A TRACK IN PERMANENT PLACE?
That is a more simple question. The answer has to be NO!

Unless, that is, we can put some temporary seating over the permanent running track, right up to the edge of the pitch, for every time we play football there! :wink: :lol:
bornblowingbubbles

Post by bornblowingbubbles »

I never said I wanted the track, just saying that people concentrate solely on that and not the bigger picture.

As for the idea of growing up with our heros like Brooking inches away, how close do you really feel to our 'heros' today? The days of one-club loyalty and drinking in the same pub as the fans are long gone, players these days couldn't be much further removed from the fans.

In the 22 years I've been going I've watched us through two relegations and and no major trophy in my lifetime, all I'm saying is I wouldn't walk away because of moving stadium. Of course I'd rather have our own purpose built football stadium but if we end up at the OS with a track then so be it, I'll still be there.
GideaParkHammer

bornblowingbubbles wrote:I never said I wanted the track, just saying that people concentrate solely on that and not the bigger picture.

As for the idea of growing up with our heros like Brooking inches away, how close do you really feel to our 'heros' today? The days of one-club loyalty and drinking in the same pub as the fans are long gone, players these days couldn't be much further removed from the fans.

In the 22 years I've been going I've watched us through two relegations and and no major trophy in my lifetime, all I'm saying is I wouldn't walk away because of moving stadium. Of course I'd rather have our own purpose built football stadium but if we end up at the OS with a track then so be it, I'll still be there.
I think the track is the deal breaker. If you asked a few years ago if people would want to move from the Boleyn, the survery would probably be 90% no. I think many have accepted a move may one day be required.

As for heroes? I am too old now to have heroes, now I just judge players on a scale of incompetence..with Parker at one end, and Spector at another :wink: . I am thinking of the kids..."will someone think of the children?". You must remember your first visit to the Boleyn. It is a life changing moment. Will it be the same for a kid for who the players on the pitch actually look smaller than they do on their TVs?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bornblowingbubbles wrote:I never said I wanted the track, just saying that people concentrate solely on that and not the bigger picture.
Well, that is the subject of the thread. The bigger picture has being discussed, for some months, on the earlier Stratford thread.
bornblowingbubbles wrote:As for the idea of growing up with our heros like Brooking inches away, how close do you really feel to our 'heros' today?
I sit in the WL in front of where the subs warm up - so about ten feet! But I hear you, the gap between the Chicken Run and the pitch is and has been huge for some years now and for those people I doubt there'd be a great deal of difference.
bornblowingbubbles wrote:Of course I'd rather have our own purpose built football stadium but if we end up at the OS with a track then so be it, I'll still be there.
As, no doubt, will most.
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

Ive been having discussions with Ian Tompkins the Corporate Affairs Director, and from what I gather , the club have submitted an offer and plans to the relevant parties... and once that comes back with either a yes or no... then the club will start looking into what can be modified and how... but he did make it clear that ANY bid to occupy the Olympic stadium MUST include plans to retain the running track, so , there is no way of getting our feet in the door so to speak and then after a time somehow removing the track , from what he told me.. the track HAS to remain at all times and is non negotiable :(

He also said that (apparently.... remains to be seen) that if the current bid is accepted, then the club will inform the fans of its plans to modify the stadium and ask the fans for their view .... IF this actually happens.. remains to be seen... just like the board REALLY listening to the fans and even asking us for an opinion on this.

Im not against moving, personally id like the east stand rebuilt and extended, i think we could easily get a capacity of over 40k with a new stand ... something has to give, I saw skysports news this morning and on the usual column on the right hand side.. they had the final standings.. and also the average gate table... we were 10th.. behind such teams as sunderland ... Villa ... which obviously can make a huge revenue difference when trying to compete.

Im not 100% against a move to a new stadium... not the principle behind it anyway.... but maybe to a purpose built football stadium..no way am i for a move to the olympic stadium when it includes the retention of the running track ... you would pretty much have to rip out the whole lower tier to somehow make any temporary structure of seats workable.. at the moment to get closer to the pitch... any temporary stand or seats.. would all pretty much be at the same level... on the floor!!.... So .. with that in mind... the retaining of the running track gets a no from me ..

:shock: Cant believe nearly 50 people have actually said "yes.. we would be happy to move to the stadium with the running track" ... maybe they thought once we was in , the track would eventually be moved... or somehow think something could be engineered for temporary stands that would actually cover the whole of the running track ... or really arent bothered about needing binoculars to watch a game of football ... :( no matter how u try and spin this... that stadium will NEVER feel like home
mickfbrown

Post by mickfbrown »

Deleted.

I was talking b*llocks :oops:
GideaParkHammer

mickfbrown wrote:For me it was a loaded poll.

Who on earth would want a running track around the pitch. But ask people would they rather stay at Upton Park or move to a 60,000 new stadium with a running track might get different results.
Sorry, the heat must be making me more dumb than normal, but what is the difference in the question?