Transfer Window: January-Summer 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

TK-nufc

Re: Summer Transfer Thread 2011-2012

Post by TK-nufc »

the pink palermo wrote:The last striker to score 20 league goals three seasons running was who ?
JLP123 wrote: Thierry Henry scored 20+ 5 seasons in a row?

Aside from Henry, Shearer and Van Nistelrooy, I can't think of ANY at all - and it would be difficult to vote against those three as the best strikers of the premiership era IMHO.

Les Ferdinand managed to get 20+ in 3 out of 4 consecutive seasons.
Robbie Fowler got 25+ twice in a row (followed by an 18) but then never again broke 20+.
Didier Drogba has done it twice, but with two years in single figures inbetween (infact, out of 7 seasons at chelsea, 5 of them he's scored 12 or less league goals)
Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole only managed to get 20+ in a season once.
Michael Owen never broke 20 in a season.

Any of those players (at peak) would walk into the majority of the teams in the premiership right now.
Last edited by TK-nufc on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: RE: Spotted a WHU Training Ground

Post by hammerddh »

CC TOP wrote:It's interesting when you compare our prospective forward line to those who went up last season.

QPR - Hulse, Mackie, Agyemang, Helguson.

Norwich - Grant Holt, Simeon Jackson, Chris Martin.

Swansea - Luke Moore, Craig Beattie, Fabio Borini (+ Tamas Priskin on loan).

Us - Cole, Piq, Nouble, Sears, Carew???

I'd take our lot any day.
I wouldn't - no variation no pace
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Carew isn't my kind of player but he will be effective and that's the point.

BS has a £1.25m bonus riding on promotion and players that are effective is what we will get....
TK-nufc

Post by TK-nufc »

the pink palermo wrote: Andy Cole didn't beat 20 a season once iirc .
Not for Man United he didnt, but for newcastle he bagged 34 from 40 (premier league 93/4).
DanielHammer

Post by DanielHammer »

Carew our star summer striker signing? f*** me thats depressing. So we were going to spend £5-£7 million on Shane Long and end up getting an old, over the hill, slow, uninspiring FREE transfer.

Just look at our team now, where is our speed, our creativity, our dynamism, our flair. All season everyone, the owners, the manager, and the fans have been saying we need to bring somebody in who can score, we need to score more of our chances, the difference between going up and staying where we are is goals. Does anybody believe that Carew is the answer, that he will score 20 goals. If you think that you don’t know football.
BR7 Hammer

Post by BR7 Hammer »

Are we not in for Ishmael Miller as well?
RM6

Post by RM6 »

DanielHammer wrote:
Just look at our team now, where is our speed, our creativity, our dynamism, our flair. All season everyone, the owners, the manager, and the fans have been saying we need to bring somebody in who can score, we need to score more of our chances, the difference between going up and staying where we are is goals. Does anybody believe that Carew is the answer, that he will score 20 goals. If you think that you don’t know football.
Taylor and Sears provide pace and energy on the wings. Noble and Collison the engine in the middle and Nolan the final touch in and around the box.

Carew has two good feet, can play with his back to goal, is very strong and good in the air. A perfect foil for Nolan's attacking midfield game. Nolan scored 20 odd goals in his last Championship stint playing behind a simialr striker in Carroll.

Not a sexy signing. Doesn't make it a bad signing.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

DanielHammer wrote:Carew our star summer striker signing? f*** me thats depressing. So we were going to spend £5-£7 million on Shane Long and end up getting an old, over the hill, slow, uninspiring FREE transfer.

Seriously, are half the posters going through puberty at the moment or what?

Firstly, we haven't actually signed him. He's been spotted at the ground. Secondly, if we were to sign him, that woudn't automatically mean that we couldn't sign anyone else. Thirdly, by bringing in Matty Taylor and Kevin Nolan. Both very good attacking midfielders, we already are approaching a much better attacking side than the one we had last season that seemed to often feature at least 3 extra strikers, noormally playing off a striker, or more often playing on the wing. Allardyce has brought players in thus far to enable us to get an XI on to the pitch that makes sense in both formation and the player's natural postition, something that Avram Grant failed to do in his entire tenure last season.

What he needs to do now is add depth and a little flair. He will do that, if Carew comes in for depth (as you may have noticed, mainly because half the people on here are constantly crying about it) we only have a couple of strikers at the moment.

If you're still concerned, have a look at the signings we made last time we got relegated....in fact. screw that, have a look at who we signed LAST summer. I hink you'll be pleasantly surprised! And for f***'s sake relax!
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

unless Piq or Cole are leaving i see absolutely no reason to bring in Carew and think the available money we have could be spent much better.
saludo de carlitos

Re: RE: Spotted a WHU Training Ground

Post by saludo de carlitos »

prophet:marginal wrote: :lol:
Whats funny?
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

It's funny that we are about to start a game in the championship with Parker, Nolan, Cole, Green, Taylor, Barrera and the academy boys, and people are sitting here moaning, as you do.
D C
Has liked: 1123 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by D C »

IIIronss wrote:It's funny that we are about to start a game in the championship with Parker, Nolan, Cole, Green, Taylor, Barrera and the academy boys, and people are sitting here moaning, as you do.
Who is the odd one out? :lol:
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Am I the only one not really worried about the goals we score but the goals we may concede. If cole, piq etc stay then I genuinely don't think we NEED anyone (although get the desire to have a 'fox in the box type poacher' as an option for certain games or on the bench) but I think neither full back position is as good as I hoped and beyond Tomkins, Reid and Faye we are struggling IMO.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Moose_talkSPORT Ian Abrahams
only looking at him at the moment George McCartney
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

this is really weird, I find myself reading TTS's posts and nodding in agreement all the time :?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1393 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Turns to Stone wrote:Seriously, are half the posters going through puberty at the moment or what?
My money would be on menopause given the bitching and moaning like an old woman :thup:
Moore&Moore

Post by Moore&Moore »

west ham15 wrote:Moose_talkSPORT Ian Abrahams
only looking at him at the moment George McCartney
Would be a good addition if true :thup:
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

Moose spouts a load of b*llocks.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

coxy wrote:Moose spouts a load of b***ocks.
So are most of the other people who start rumours
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1662 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Carew is *****. End of.

Desperation signing imvho. Long past his sell by. Sorry, can't see why anyone would be anything close to being excited by him. Fizzy or no Fizzy.