Manager XIV: Allardyce Confirmed

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

My first choice to replace Avram Grant from the candidates below is:

Martin O'Neill
36%
Chris Hughton
14%
Sam Allardyce
22%
Tony Carr
17%
Alan Curbishley
11%

Total votes: 1121

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Re: Manager XIV [POLL Two]

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Curbs for me
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

Ask yourself who is the best manager on the shortlist....answer is MON without a shadow of a doubt.

If he turns the job down then we should be offering the job to the 2nd best manager available who is....... Fat Sam (fact!)

1.MON
2. Allardyce
3.Curbs
4. Hughton
5. Carr

Here's hoping MON or Allardyce get the job because if they don't I can see us being firmly rooted in the championship.

Jigga.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

I remember Scott Parker saying (or i read somewhere that he said) that 1 of the reasons he didnt like Curbshleys football methods was that he worked the players too hard in training .
:raver: That is exactly what we need.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Tony Carr for me with a good assistant manager and director of football. :crest:

Allardyce and our board, never going to happen. O'neill he already knows how this board work, not going to happen. Both expensive and would want long term contracts with guarantees and their own backroom staff.
Hughton possibly, Curbs as much as i think he would get the job done, not a good idea to go back for him or us.
Norbert_Up_Norf
Location: Chav Corner, St James Park, Newcastle (a long way from home)

Post by Norbert_Up_Norf »

swash wrote:I've gone for Sam as well, as I don't think he is as one dimensional as some people think.
Yet EVERYTHING he has done suggests he is EXACTLY as one-dimensional as some people think.

For me, it remains anyone BUT Allardyce.
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

Fat Sam for me again. I really can't see Tony Carr being the manager. He's a God to me for what he does with the Academy but first team Coach/Manager with no experience at that level? Nah.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

miami-hammer wrote:Tony Carr for me with a good assistant manager and director of football. :crest:
Same here.

I voted Hughton in the first one. He'd still be my second choice, but knowing TC is actually interested has changed my vote.

After those two, I'd plump for MON, but do not see him or Fat Sam coming here.
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

I wouldn't say Wycombe and Leicester had loads of money and the biggest criticism of O'Neil rightly is that he wasted alot of money at Villa, what you can argue though with that is he was still very succesful despite buying alot of flops.
dundeeiron

Post by dundeeiron »

I don't know much about such procedures but is it not the case that accepting any offer from us to become Manager would prejudice Martin O'Neills tribunal case which starts today. Did Curbs not also turn down some approaches on similar lines. :think:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Aceface wrote: Allardyce would be a shocker. Has never really truly "succeeded" anywhere, but does seem to have an unerring ability to alienate large numbers of his own fans while simultaneously making fans of other clubs dislike the club he's in charge of at the time. No thanks
It depends how you define success, I guess. He had Newcastle comfortably in mid-table, they sacked him and went down the next year. He had Blackburn comfortably in mid-table, they sacked him and are now one result from relegation. He broke a load of records taking Notts County back up. He got Bolton promoted and then had them finish sixth in the top flight.

Sounds alright to me.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Richard WHUFC wrote:I wouldn't say Wycombe and Leicester had loads of money and the biggest criticism of O'Neil rightly is that he wasted alot of money at Villa, what you can argue though with that is he was still very succesful despite buying alot of flops.

But he wasn't though, was he ? Mainly mid table finishes are success in West Ham's eye's, but in Randy Lerner's who money he spunked without any silverware, led to their falling out when he did an Oliver Twist and asked for more
The Bob

Post by The Bob »

Still MON for me although it is unrealistic.

Would take any of the other 4 in this order:
Fat Sam
Hughton
Carr
Curbs
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Would like Curbs but he'll never take it. So gotta be Hughton
Samassi Abou
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samassi Abou »

I really don’t understand why not more people are voting for Allardyce. He clearly is the best choice for us and the board should go all out to get him.

Lets forget this good football nonsense we like to associate ourselves with........ It is a myth.

Attributes Sam brings to a team:
Solid
Organised
Aggressive
Effort
And most importantly......... Results.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

That is even more depressing than the original list.

This club owes TC a massive amount but that is no reason to make him manager. If he had been groomed for the role boot room style then it would at least make sense. If we give him the job and he loses the first 8 games he would be sacked and we would have lost the biggest asset at the club for no benefit. Just give the bloke a pay rise in the job he does so well.

Hated curbishleys first spell but if we are going down the percentage football route I would prefer him to MON or Sam, even with the legal action he at least has some feel for the club I suppose.

That leaves Hughton who did a good job at newcastle but personally I would prefer a bit longer track record before entrusting such a huge task to him.

None of the above for me.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

I am amazed at the amount of people who would want Allardyce at our club.

I've read comments like " Its a myth that his teams play long ball " & " Bolton played some good stuff when Sam was there"

All I can say is they cant have been up to the Reebok much over the years!

Its no myth - the football played by Bolton under Allerdyce was dire - undoubtedly successful, but dire nontheless. Hit a long diagonal ball to Davies in the corner and try to win the second ball, again & again.

Dont kid yourselves that that isnt what we would get if he is ever allowed to hold the reins at the Boleyn.

Newcastle, a club that has not had a lot of success in recent years, (just like us) but at least had a reputation for trying to play proper football (just like us), were only too pleased to see the back of him.

How many Premier league clubs would now employ Allerdyce if they had a managerial vacancy today?

Not many, I recon.
Last edited by Kendal Iron on Thu May 19, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

None of the above - Lambert was my choice
Middlesbrough Hammer

Post by Middlesbrough Hammer »

Wouldnt want Allardyce, purely because of his style of football. He could well be successfull at getting us back up, but success at what price? Curbs was booed when we finished mid table in the 2007 - 2008 season due to the style of football he played and it was nowhere near as bad as some of the football Allardyce's teams play. Hughton for me. Did a good job at newcastle under similar circumstances and was doing fine in the premier league before he got the sack for no reason. People might say he had the best squad in the championship when he stormed it with newcastle, but who is to say we wont keep a few players and have a good squad as well?
Samassi Abou
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samassi Abou »

Kendal Iron wrote: How many Premier league clubs would now employ Allerdyce if they had a managerial vacancy today?

Not many, I recon.
At least 90% of the outside the top 6.
Lord Hampton of wick

Post by Lord Hampton of wick »

With all these poll's are we not in danger of subconciously influencing our beloved chairman without possibly considering all candidates . I just hope they don't go all out to appease the supporters ,even if the candidate is not the right one.