Transfer Window: January 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: The January 2012 transfer window

Post by leer34 »

where has george john gone?
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

I read that they are waiting for international clearance and the paperwork to go through.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

chalks wrote:

Absolute rubbish.

Someone like Baldock would thrive playing alongside a player like Davies. A no nonsense hard b*stard that will take knocks all day long to free up space for a nippy, quick thinking partner.

Kevin Davies is exactly the type of player Carlton Cole should be, but never will because he doesnt own a pair of balls.
Someone who scores f*** all?
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Not looking forward The Twitchy and Cotterill (Scratchy?) Show on the last day of dis window :asleep:
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Anyone who thinks Kevin Davies would not add to our team is deluded. I hate the **** but he would be a very good signing and just like Bellamy before him he would be our ****.

I dont believe it would ever happen as he is probably out of our league at the moment.
Espio
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Espio »

Just been told George John is at the ground, so possibly some news today.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

It might seem blasphemous to compare a sublime technician like Teddy Sheringham to Kevin Davies but...
Davies will be about 3-4 years younger than Teddy when we signed him. His goals, assists and all-round attitude gave us two of our best recent seasons....
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

Does anybody really think that BFS will alter his tried and trusted Optima/hoofball method should we be promoted. He will continue to fill the squad with player who conform to his methods. He is so enamoured of his work at Bolton every team he ever manages now and in the future will be modelled on that pattern.

Of course he most likely will lead us out of the championship as is his brief but next season his brief will be to avoid relegation, the next season to reach the top twelve etc and he will employ the same methods and sign the same type of player. He is convinced we fans will bend to his will if he keeps hitting his targets.

I remember the period from the mid 60's to the mid 80's where even outsiders would remark on the knowledgable support who would loudly applaud a great pass or a great passage of play, even from the opposition. Big Sam I think has no idea how strongly many supporters feel about this, as he is being allowed his way by everybody in order to hoof us out of the championship before S&G financial model collapses.

Expect signings like Davies, and more ageing steady but reliable lumps. Sam works on statistics and therefore only players who have been around to accumulate consistent figures and injury records really float his boat.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

kthammer wrote:It might seem blasphemous to compare a sublime technician like Teddy Sheringham to Kevin Davies but...
Davies will be about 3-4 years younger than Teddy when we signed him. His goals, assists and all-round attitude gave us two of our best recent seasons....
Sheringham was a rarity though, very very few players can remain an effective premiership player into their late 30s
Hammer Sandwich

Post by Hammer Sandwich »

"Kevin Davies is exactly the type of player Carlton Cole should be, but never will because he doesnt own a pair of balls."

Absolutely spot on !
Last edited by Hammer Sandwich on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Myron T Buttram wrote: Expect signings like Davies, and more ageing steady but reliable lumps. Sam works on statistics and therefore only players who have been around to accumulate consistent figures and injury records really float his boat.
Damn, I'd hate that. The thought of signing players who perform consistently, have good injury records. nah, not the West Ham way; gimme Kieron Dyer/Freddie Ljungberg any day.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Sloop John B wrote:Short term deals with a specific job, minimum risk. I find it strange how many of the same people saying we should sign young players for the future are also saying we need to play our own young academy talent...how many young players do we really need???
There's young and there's young...

Most of our academy talent isn't ready. The likes of Potts, Hall, whoever, are unlikely to make a place in the side their own this season. We should be looking at young players who are at a similar stage in their development to Balders, imo. That is, players who are ready to compete to make a place in the side their own, and that we hope will be able to step up next season to PL football if we get promoted.
That's in an ideal world, and I appreciate there might not be the players out there, in the positions we need, who we are able to sign

We should also be looking at players from abroad, who the PL clubs haven't homed in on, who again we feel can make a step up. Players who are looking to get into the PL, but need to step up a bit

As you say, short term deals for 30+ players, who can come in and do a job, is fine, if it fills a gap in our squad that needs filling, that we can't fill in any other way.
If it's a choice between a short term fix, or nothing at all, I'd go for the former. But it's not the ideal way we should be strengthening, imo, and is kind of the last resort if we can't find a more long term option
Last edited by Hambrosia Stu on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

taffhammer wrote:I don't claim to be ITK but i know this....the sooner Oatcake come in with a bid for bg_hammer the happier i'll be.
Taff...don't post funny **** like that when I've just taken a mouthful of coffee!!

Would he pass the medical?
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

kthammer wrote:It might seem blasphemous to compare a sublime technician like Teddy Sheringham to Kevin Davies but...

See thats where i drew the line with the "he's our ****" attitude. I never could stand Teddy, loathed him as a player and as a person and still do.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The Moth wrote:Your right, thats because nearly all championship clubs have no money .You won't see other clubs in this league paying £200k for a four week loan of a GK, or giving out 55k a week 5 year contract , or even talking about loaning Tevez! :lol:

They can't compete finanically but they can unearth some reall gems overlooked by the money league. Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair, Zaha , Jack Cork, Lallana.... I could go on and on. They get these players because they can offer regular football to players looking to progress.

I really don't see what your point is really?
My point is that I wouldn't expect many big-money signings this January. If we do get Rhodes or Zamora, fantastic, but I'm telling people to temper their expectations and not react with such anger at mooted, underwhelming signings (whoever they may be).

Moth, I agree with pretty much all of your points about building for the future slowly and how we should follow the examples set by other sides like Swansea and Southampton etc. But I've also highlighted the issues around that and the differences between our respective sides.

You're arguing a point with me that I agree with, I agree we should be looking at these sorts of players. We should be looking for good young players to bring through and bring into the side gradually but to a certain extent that has happened a little. You mentioned Scott Sinclair as an example (an excellent on in my opinion), but let's not forget that he started off on loan at Swansea. I've read posts on here saying loans are a waste of time and we should be developing our own talent. Fine, but I think Lansbury could add something to our side and he's been unfortunate with injuries.

Zaha and Lallana in my opinion have more quality than our young players and therefore that's why they broke into their side sooner. Allardyce persevered a little at the start of this season with Sears and Stanislas (2 of the more successful recent products of the youth team), and they didn't really stamp their authority on the side like Lallana did at Saints or Zaha at Palace. I keep coming back to the fact that if the youngsters were good enough AND ready then they would have been given a chance and more importantly, they would have taken it.

For what it's worth, I'd have persevered a little longer with Stanislas, but then I don't see training every week or know the lad personally.

Moth, I agree with what you're saying, but as I always say, it's very easy to suggest slow, steady long-term planning that results in us being back in the Premier League in the next 3 years, but as I say. In the last 5 years Southampton have produced some of the best youth products in the country and have hardly ever seen them play for their side because they've been nicked by bigger teams. I'd rather avoid that scenario and I think the board are working toward that end.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

It's been mentioned on another forum that Huddersfield may have rejected our recent improved offer of approximately 5 million for Rhodes and are looking for a figure of about 6 million now. As much as I'd love to see Rhodes in claret and blue, with this figure, if true, Huddersfield are very much taking the piss.

Leave well alone now and look for alternatives, maybe not even a striker, I can see us bringing in some creative midfield players like Mervan Celik who can provide assists as well as chipping in with some goals from midfield. As for Huddersfield I hope they don't get promoted, Rhodes puts in a transfer request and Huddersfield have to sell him for 1 million in the end...
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

[/quote]

Sheringham was a rarity though, very very few players can remain an effective premiership player into their late 30s[/quote]

though Davies doesn't exactly rely on pace does he?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

HamburgHammer wrote:It's been mentioned on another forum that Huddersfield may have rejected our recent improved offer of approximately 5 million for Rhodes and are looking for a figure of about 6 million now. As much as I'd love to see Rhodes in claret and blue, with this figure, if true, Huddersfield are very much taking the piss.

Leave well alone now and look for alternatives, maybe not even a striker, I can see us bringing in some creative midfield players like Mervan Celik who can provide assists as well as chipping in with some goals from midfield. As for Huddersfield I hope they don't get promoted, Rhodes puts in a transfer request and Huddersfield have to sell him for 1 million in the end...
Why are they taking the piss? Any player is worth what anyone's prepared to pay for him.

We would hold out for as much money as possible for Tomkins if Spurs came in firm, what's the difference?
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Turns to Stone wrote:We would hold out for as much money as possible for Tomkins if Spurs came in firm, what's the difference?
lol, history says otherwise. :)
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Turns to Stone wrote:Why are they taking the piss? Any player is worth what anyone's prepared to pay for him.

We would hold out for as much money as possible for Tomkins if Spurs came in firm, what's the difference?
Quite
They obviously really don't want to sell him, and are probably waiting for an offer that they see as being too good to turn down
Whereas we want to get the player as cheaply as possible

So there's bound to be quite a gap between the 2 clubs valuation of the player