Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

LifeCoach

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by LifeCoach »

Before we buy I was just reflecting on some of last season's performances. Piquionne's lack of effort in his final games is clear enough - is he still contracted to us and therefore a fee due? Carew good at getting to the lumped up ball but then nothing. So no surprises there.

However I was surprised to see Faye go - he was superb when he had that long run when Reid was out; lots of energy, won every ball in the air and was a leader. Similarly but to a lesser extent was PBD when Noble / other was out. Both had Premiership experience. But hey ho that's all done.

As for Baldock and Lansbury, I am sure they are both better than we have seen. But they never had a chance with even a short run in the side. Keep Baldock as he is faster and more instinctive than any other strike apart from Maynard. I reckon Lansbury will prove a sound player for whoever he can get a regular start for. He showed plenty of energy in his last few games albeit often coming off the bench - dangerous coming in at speed from wide or deep midfield into the box which defences find hard to deal with. Worth a bid of £2m I reckon - but it may ultimately depend on how Wenger treats him and how BFS deals with Morrison.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

You can afford to go for a few gambles if you are an established mid table side but unfortunately we don't have that luxury. We have already got a fair few players like Vaz Te and the likes who could either push on and step up a level or be found wanting.

The Yak is a proven top flight scorer, Jones had a dodgy season last year but has certainly proved himself a Premier League striker before that and then you have Jussi who has played a few hundred games there for Bolton and is vastly experienced.

McCartney is a sensible no risk signing too so as long as we can pick up a decent defensive midfielder like N'Zonzi then we would be stable enough to go for one risky signing. Forget about Rhodes, from what I saw of Zaha at Selhurst Park with my own eyes last September, the kid is gonna be absolute mustard. He was also the stand out player on the pitch when we drew 0-0 with them a few months ago as well and we had to put two and even three men on him to shut him out the game.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

LifeCoach wrote:As for Baldock and Lansbury, I am sure they are both better than we have seen. But they never had a chance with even a short run in the side. Keep Baldock as he is faster and more instinctive than any other strike apart from Maynard. I reckon Lansbury will prove a sound player for whoever he can get a regular start for. He showed plenty of energy in his last few games albeit often coming off the bench - dangerous coming in at speed from wide or deep midfield into the box which defences find hard to deal with. Worth a bid of £2m I reckon - but it may ultimately depend on how Wenger treats him and how BFS deals with Morrison.
I agree fully! rather than looking at players that are a risk how they will perform, be they old or ones not really proven go for what we know! Sam has not really been given a chance, fans pushed the club to buy him now give him the opportunity! we should be in for Lansbury, Henri should ask Wenger, be honest does do I have a chance of a regular first team place? if not I would go for a club were I was Happy and not even have to leave London!
whorya

Post by whorya »

Aztec Hammer wrote:I don't know about Elmohamady but I promise you we are in for Zaha and he is interested. Regarding the idea that we aren't after him because we won't buy two RW's, maybe we think he can play in other positions as well as RW.

Greg, the Palace fan on here, you'd likely know best... Can Zaha be effective anywhere else than the wing? Maybe behind the striker, through the middle?

WHU haven't made any enquires as of yet to Palace but Palace have been offering Zaha around. Sam would be interested but will only make offer if his 1st choice target decides not to come.
Rhodes has been given time to decide about his future whilst on holiday and its believed to be 50/50 whether he stays or goes, Baldock has also been mentioned. :crest:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

whorya wrote:

WHU haven't made any enquires as of yet to Palace but Palace have been offering Zaha around. Sam would be interested but will only make offer if his 1st choice target decides not to come.
Rhodes has been given time to decide about his future whilst on holiday and its believed to be 50/50 whether he stays or goes, Baldock has also been mentioned. :crest:
EH?

He just signed a 5 year deal.
damo
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by damo »

How a Sunderland fan's forum rates Elmohamady (post nicked from WHO):-

He has pace and can jump. That's it, and even then he never uses his pace to beat a man and he can't direct a header to save his life. His passing, shooting, crossing and tackling are all atrocious. The worst thing about him is the way he bottles 50/50's and arranges not to be available for the ball if there's any chance he could get hurt.

Glad he won't be ours anymore

---------------------------------

The fact he started so many Tyne / Wear derbys still boils my ****ing piss, he hid for every minute in every one of them he started

Got the raw ability, I think he shows that now and then but he hasn't matured at all as a player since he arrived. Shame.

Joke of a player and joke of a signing by a joke of a manager. Thing is, this disgusting looking eye pirate is having the real laugh.

£15k a week for a couple of years? Ta very much. Someone needs a belting here.

by FAR the most amazing thing about signing elmo is that we had him on loan first. we knew what he was like and STILL signed him.
unf**kingbelievable.

For £2 million!!!! Quinn deserved to go just for that. I mean, not really, but still, why was he letting Bruce sign this garbage?

i'll never understand the signing of elmo. it made no sense whatsoever.

Totally agree. Would rather chuck a twix on the right wing - it'd have a better game than that filthy eye pirate.

:shock:
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

damo wrote:How a Sunderland fan's forum rates Elmohamady (post nicked from WHO):-

He has pace and can jump. That's it, and even then he never uses his pace to beat a man and he can't direct a header to save his life. His passing, shooting, crossing and tackling are all atrocious. The worst thing about him is the way he bottles 50/50's and arranges not to be available for the ball if there's any chance he could get hurt.
Sounds like Faubert Mark 2 :lol:
ob1westham
Total likes: 2 likes

Bid for Grant Holt

Post by ob1westham »

Just on SSN we have bid £4million for Grant Holt
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Sky Sports sources understands West Ham have made a £4million bid for Norwich striker Grant Holt. More on site soon...
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by D C »

****ing 4m for a 31 year old one season wonder. This club learns NOTHING!
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

4mill does seem a lot :?
Cockney Rebel
Location: Isle of Dogs... with Manhattan in the background...

Post by Cockney Rebel »

Can't see Norwich accepting a £4m bid for Holt, if the story is true of course...
Faubert's Boot
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

if we sign him, for any price, i'll explode with anger. Comon Villa and Lambert "steal" him
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Unlikely to accept 4m which is probably good news for us, wrong side of 30, though 15 goals in your first premiership season is not to be sniffed at I guess.. :think:
Mcinroy

Grant Holt

Post by Mcinroy »

Sky Sports claim we have bid 4m for him. What does everyone think? Could imagine him being like a Kevin Davies role. Sam loved him at Bolton.
Av it

Re: Grant Holt

Post by Av it »

Looking at short term, I guess it's not a bad shout.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Grant Holt... christ no. Not at his age.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

whorya wrote:

No disrespect intended here but how do you know we haven't made any enquiries ?? Just because nothing is public. We may have enquired and told no.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

We need a strong pacey striker that knows where the goal is....

*Fat, slow, old one season wonder Grant Holt springs to mind :lol:

*for a footballer
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

GaryP wrote:Grant Holt... christ no. Not at his age.

Is this really a bad signing?

Carlton's injury record is poor so Holt could do a decent job for a couple of seasons. £4 million is nothing in premiership terms so I am for it.
Last edited by MrHammer73 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.