Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Willtelll

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by Willtelll »

CHAZHAMMER wrote:Those stats sound good, I didn't realise that he managed to get so many wipped in, impressive! Was the quality of the crosses any good though?
I found the bit posted a couple of weeks ago by Aceface and my memory exagerated the figures but Jarvis was the Prem's No 1 crosser of the ball. Better than Baines, Bale and Valencia....

"Jarvis not only made the league's most attempted crosses of 218, but he made the most successful crosses at a rate of 25.7%. His talents couldn't save his club from relegation, however, and it's no wonder so many clubs are chasing the 26-year-old, including Fulham, QPR, West Ham, Stoke and Sunderland. One thing is for sure, he won't be a Championship player next season"

Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/top ... peKxsjS.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Sinclair is in the last year of his contract and isn't the type of winger Sam wants.

Sinclair and Johnson are tricky wingers who take players on, hit crosses from inside the the 18 yard box or more regularly cut inside.

Jarvis and Drenthe are in a way old fashioned wingers who just spend time getting space and banging in good crosses.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Billy Hunt wrote:Plus Barerra - undisclosed fee of course
Yes I forgot him. Bought for £4m sent out on loan then sold back to S America as you say for an undisclosed fee.... :think:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2499 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

fmgod wrote:It's not just a case of how many players we have sold but

Are all off the wage bill, saving us a fair amount.
Quite right.

And there will be a two or three more in the departure lounge by 1 September IMO.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Hmm, well with those stats, I must admit it does sound tempting...
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Matt of iron wrote: Jarvis and Drenthe are in a way old fashioned wingers who just spend time getting space and banging in good crosses.
Drenthe is (potentially)class on his day but doesn't have a clue what he is doing and is so unpredictable on and off the pitch, if we want a crosser wouldn't really say Drenthe is that, more of a maverick tbh.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2499 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Willtelll wrote:Bought for £4m
Taking the Gullies at their word for the amount of money paid is not the wisest of things......

£4m "deal" can mean many many things.

Just as £10 million "deal" for jarvis doesn't actually mean an immediate or guaranteed outlay of £10 million - and nor did £2.5 million for Baldock etc etc.......

They bought Chucho Benitez for "£9 million" at Birmingham - when it was actually much closer to a packet of Cashew nuts.....

The Gullies love a "contingent liability".
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

fmgod wrote: Drenthe is (potentially)class on his day but doesn't have a clue what he is doing and is so unpredictable on and off the pitch, if we want a crosser wouldn't really say Drenthe is that, more of a maverick tbh.
True, but from what I saw last year he can whip in an excellent ball.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Javis isn't a £10m player. However, he is worth £10m to our gameplan. I think its fair to say that our attack this season will be heavily focused on crosses and set plays. At this moment in time Taylor is our only quad member who can deliver dangerous and consistent balls on a regular basis and until we sign someone of similar quality he'll more than likely remain in our starting line up. I mean, what’s the point of having all these huge players if no one can put the ball on their head?!

I’ll all for Jarvis as I don’t feel Taylor offers nearly enough in open play
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Dawson transfer discussions.

Have a feeling the majority of there big players are only there for the money and Dawson will be another.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Matt of iron wrote: True, but from what I saw last year he can whip in an excellent ball.
Yeah he can he has all the tools, if Sam could straight him out we would have one hell of a player but he fells like one of those you always say he has tons of potential etc, he is already 25, would love him though as it would be fireworks and would gurantee he gets a winner in a massive game.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Matt of iron wrote: Have a feeling the majority of there big players are only there for the money
Really? I had myself convinced they were there for the love of the club... :wink:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Willtelll wrote:As I said a lovely fella but Director of Football? No way - he's a comedy owner that should stop acting like a kid let loose in a sweet shop.
Other clubs also don't have owners who travel to Oxford on a Tuesday night to watch a youth game. Other supporters, including our own previously, complain that the club doesn't communicate with them. No other club in the world is still paying an out of court settlement for a player. I'm 100% confident that we can afford every signing we make and have been very happy with them all so far.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 667 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Willtell,

Good points.

I got jumped all over yesterday for saying we had made a net spend of £6.5 million.

I meant the money we have actually spent rather than the money promised based on extra's etc or spread over five seasons.

An example being Collins reported for a 2.5million deal when the upfront was a couple of hundred thousand. McCartney signed on a free transfer with a loyalty payment paid off by us.

The difference between a reported fee and what is actually paid out is vastly different.

So the Daves view of how much they are out of pocket is different in reality to the PR spin.

Its like having 11K in the bank, buying a car on credit for £250 a month and then telling your family you can't go on holiday this year because you have just spent £10k. Spin.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Yea Why Not wrote:
Really? I had myself convinced they were there for the love of the club... :wink:
You know what I mean though.

Holliet has gone to QPR despite having interest from a champions league team in Germany.
bobo

Post by bobo »

If Rhodes iis off to that circus that they call Blackburn for 6m then we need to be all over that. He is the perfect player fir our system and the perfect player to compete with Cole.

Jarvis is a totally different player too Phillips & Sinclair, we all ready have a player in that mould.... Vaz Te

I agree with yeswhynot Javis is worth 10m to our system and the way it works, the thing I like about Jarvis and it's the same with Ashley Young and that's he likes to get chalk on he's boots and has a brilliant cross on him. The only thing I fear is we still need a another target man (Rhodes please).
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Its like having 11K in the bank, buying a car on credit for £250 a month and then telling your family you can't go on holiday this year because you have just spent £10k. Spin.
Which is how every single transfer in footballi is reported. You've still got to budget for it .
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

bristolhammerfc wrote:So the Daves view of how much they are out of pocket is different in reality to the PR spin.

Its like having 11K in the bank, buying a car on credit for £250 a month and then telling your family you can't go on holiday this year because you have just spent £10k. Spin.
Surely that depends on the rest of the fee and also your projected incomings? WH are skint and make no profit on a yearly basis. The fact that, in your example, you've committed to £250 a month does not mean you can afford a holiday if you only bring in £220 a month.

When you buy a house, you might agree a fee of £200k, but pay a depost of £25k. You haven't bought the house for £25k tho, no matter how you spin it. The rest of the money has to be paid, even if it is in the future.

It's all very well discounting the £x million that we have put off till later, but I guarantee that this time next year, no-one will be taking the rest of that into account with next summers dealings.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

I would rather see someone like Rhodes, but we will get knocked down that he is not proven for the Premiership!

The list of players that have been sold surprised me, when they seem to leave in a drip it does not seem that many.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

jaybs wrote:I would rather see someone like Rhodes, but we will get knocked down that he is not proven for the Premiership!
Not saying he wouldn't maybe cut it, but he isn't proven at that level is he ?