Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Mike420

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by Mike420 »

So assuming Carlton wasn't the nice guy he is would you still want him? I think he's very average and quite frustrating to watch. That said he can do a job for us. However if Carlton leaving meant we could get Dempsey I'd jump at that.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Whufc06 wrote:................................ As people have said though there is no way Carlton will move to Scotland. Unless the lure of a bit of Champions League football grabs him.

Fine until Christmas, then all he'll have to look forward to will be trips to Ross County and Dundee.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Whufc06 wrote:Dempsey would be a fantastic signing for us, would score more than Cole and can hold the ball up as well as him. As people have said though there is no way Carlton will move to Scotland. Unless the lure of a bit of Champions League football grabs him.
No he can't :lol:
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Mike420 wrote:So assuming Carlton wasn't the nice guy he is would you still want him? I think he's very average and quite frustrating to watch. That said he can do a job for us. However if Carlton leaving meant we could get Dempsey I'd jump at that.
CC at his best is just too much to handle for defenses. i know i'm going back here but when we played manure in 2009 he absolutely battered Rio and Vidic (who were the best two CB's in the world at the time) to the point where they should of both been shown red because they had to result to fouling him. he's had better games since but he hasn't been able to sustain his form for long enough periods which i believe is more down to the team than him, he's never had the service a striker requires since he's been here but he gets blamed for no producing.

with jarvis, vaz te, diame as well as taylor he should get the service he needs.
Last edited by DICAN10 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I could go and boo him at Inverness and Dingwall !! :lol:
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Jarvo wrote:SSN has us as the 6th biggest spenders in the Prem this summer :shock:

Whilst it is great to see the owners backing the club with the cash (i'm still surprised that the Icelanders are allowing it/ not objecting to it as it will be a debit on the balance sheet/P&L at the end of the day), The "bigger" clubs have only just started to open their chequebooks which will have some knock ons to other clubs.

I would prefer that we look at the QUALITY our owners have invested in, especially Diame, Diarra & Jarvis rather than the actual money spent, Soton & QPR have spent plenty so far, but have either team got in the caliber of player(s) we have? Some look good, whilst many, really only look average.

I just hope my quote doesn't come back and bite me on my arse come May 2013!
WHURS

Post by WHURS »

While Cole is OK 30 yards out with his back to goal, inside that facing the goal he just doesn't cut it, when was the last time he actually got a header on target direct from a cross? While Cole has a role to play in the current squad Jarvis's signing puts Cole in a position where his best attributes won't be used as much and his game needs to be much more about instinct and intelligence.

its a shame the same reason a lot of fans have taken to him is the reason he isn't quite good enough (he is just a little bit stupid), I'd swap him in a heart beat
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I've been investigating the web for clues:

Through the centuries the COLE family was affiliated with many different clans through marriage. The clan MACDOUGALL claims the COLE family as a sept or directly affiliated family, entitled to clan rights including the use of the clan tartan.

Tartan wallpaper from Cole and Son - available to buy online from Tangletree Interiors.........

:think:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Judas! Burn him!

Long live Overchuffed Cole
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I don't think Carlton would consider Scotland when I really think about it , but I don't think he'll get another contract here , unless it's an annual one because of his knee problems .
I think he'd rather join another London club if he could pass a medical , who that is I wouldn't know , but I know this , I'd wish him all the very best , he's been a right old trier for us for a long time now .
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

bet he'd look great in a Jimmy hat and wig, celebrating the SPL title win though :D
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

I am Legend wrote:Judas! Burn him!

Long live Overchuffed Cole
I think Judas died a long time ago

Long live McOverchuffed weegee Cole
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I thought Scotland only allowed smokeless coal. :o
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

He probably dont know where Scotland is.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

YWN - I'm of the opinion the Cole doesn't actually hold the ball up that well. Yes he is a constant nuisance to defences and therefore creates space for others but half the time his touch and lay off is ****.
westhamburgerking

Post by westhamburgerking »

ageing hammer wrote:I thought Scotland only allowed smokeless coal. :o
Not bad actually.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Whufc06 wrote:YWN - I'm of the opinion the Cole doesn't actually hold the ball up that well. Yes he is a constant nuisance to defences and therefore creates space for others but half the time his touch and lay off is ****.
Cole is an absolute monster - you watch the times his touch is poor, it's when he has 2-3 opposition players marking him. His contribution is invaluable in freeing other players up and he brings the ball out of the air and retains possession excellently. To suggest Dempsey is better at Carlton's niche job, is deluded :raver:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Whufc06 wrote:YWN - I'm of the opinion the Cole doesn't actually hold the ball up that well. Yes he is a constant nuisance to defences and therefore creates space for others but half the time his touch and lay off is ****.
I think this is true. But it works in his advantage as well because NOBODY knows where the ball will go when it hits him.

As long as we get players up around him all the time he's a great asset to have.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I think you are confusing him with Freddie Kanoute. I am not saying Cole is poor, just that he causes problems with his strength rather than ability.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

It wouldn't surprise me to see us sell Cole even if a replacement, Dempsey or otherwise, is not guaranteed.

If there's a half sensible offer and CFC is happy himself then he's outa here. Best for everyone concerned.

Like others though, I will miss him - if he goes.

Don't see Dempsey as direct replacement though. The idea of ??? to have Maiga up front and then Nolan, Dempsey, Jarvis behind is a much better one. Even if Maiga can't get it in the net there's a good chance one of those three will pick up the loose ball and score.