Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammered1

Re: January 2013 Transfer Chat

Post by Hammered1 »

Double post
Last edited by Hammered1 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Wouldnt say no to upgrades at GK, RB and LB. But it's quite strange to have no glaring holes in the squad going into a tranfer window. Although the tougher fixtures coming up might show some.
Chelmo Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

I reckon there are a couple of different approaches lists getting drawn up depending on where abouts we are in the league come January. If we are still comfortabley top half, with the squad still ticking over nicely then we'll probably be taking our time to pick out one or two players who will improve the squad for the long term. If however we come out of the next few weeks of difficult looking games having plummeted down the table and looking quite worryingly over our shoulders then there could be a few shorter term deals put in sooner rather than later to try and kick start things again.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: January 2013: Where to Strengthen?

Post by bubbles1966 »

It depends on our aspirations.

If we are roughly where we are now with a sniff of a Europa league place for 7th then there is considerable room to upgrade.

If it's consolidation to the end of the season then maybe a left sided squad defender.

Our 3 centre forwards have scored 1 league goal between them this year. That can't continue.

Aside from that we're looking at injury cover I suppose.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few depart.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

bubbles1966 wrote:It depends on our aspirations.
And if our aspiration still is survival, we don't need to spend
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

unless we have sunk back into relagation scrap, we'll do out next real spending in the summer when we will have to address GK, both FG positions, possibly RM and central striker depending on converting existing loans or not.
I think AC will have to start finding the net for the Dave's to cough up £17m and I believe we have an option NOT a committment to buy if we stay up.
In Jan I expect maybe a FB if a good one available or a loan to cover along the back line. And posisbly a CM if we are going to dispense with O'Neill at some point and poor Jack is still withthe nurse.
Cant see any 'big' money being spent in jan.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

wizzo_66 wrote:If the funds are there...
Normally I find football manager is a great source of football information.. (i.e some of the rules lol)

I tried to sign another player on loan.. cant be done as limited to two long term longs at the club at once (yossi and carroll)

think i remember this said before in an article about loans..

so only cash signings .. well unless their free ofc
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Re: January Transfer Activity (If any)

Post by Chippenhammer »

RM6 wrote:Jose Angel.
Sebastian Corchia.
Iñigo Martínez.

Is that one person? :D
Iron Alex
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron Alex »

fester wrote:Ashley Cole or Fabio Da Silva
Brede Hangeland
Paulo Ferreira
Henrique Hilario
Romelu Lukaku
Jason Puncheon

Apolgies to self for Chelsea links. Think I may well have identified QPR targets.

We need to get Winston Reid to sign a new contract.
Hilario & Puncheon, are you sure? :lol:

Keeper & a left back for me. Think Demel has right back sewn up as long as he can continue to prove his fitnes (current injury aside of course)

I'd still have a pop for Paul Robinson, surely we'd be able to snap him up for no more than 2 million?

Left back? I'll leave that to Big Sam.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

CB, LB and perhaps a flair player in the middle of the park
westhamirish

Post by westhamirish »

Victor Wanyama from Celtic. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Number of goals scored so far this season by strikers?

I think we probably need to look there first.
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

GK - not very confident with Jussi between the sticks
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Take Benayoun for a further 6 month loan, secure Reid (his contract expires 30 June 2013) but D Gold has said on twitter before that it is not up in the summer, so we must have an option of an extension, anyhow I can see the likes of ManUre, L'Arse & even Tottscum sniffing around him with his performances so far this season, so give him and additional 3 or 4 year deal and keep him in C&B.

Keeper - we will wait until the summer & QPR's relegation fire sale, they cant keep both Greeno & Cesar on their wages on their extended stay in the Championship (financial fair play rules will hit them big time)

Left Back - depends how young Pottsy is coming along, he is the back up (I feel Taylor will be released in the summer as his contract expires), but if Ashley Cole doesnt get a longer deal, he could be an outside possibility ( I expect to see him join a Champions league team), again this would be a summer move.

Right Back - Gutted we did not get Clyne in the summer, he for me was going to be our RB in the 2013 season, Demel has showed us he has some quality and although im a fan, he has also been absent too many matches for a regular back 4 player who need cohesion to develop as a unit.

I feel (cross fingers etc) that Ravel will return to us with a totally improved attitude following a season with Brum where he gets to show he can do it on the field and more importantly he is a year older and hopefully 2 or 3 years wiser.

Fwd/Striker - it all depends on what is really happening with Carroll, if we can keep him til the end of the season, great, then we either take the option and spend 17M on him or say no thanks. I would extend Coles contract by 2 more years in Jan, but offer him equal (28k a week i believe) or even slightly less a week as he will be a squad player. Miaga shows promise, Vaz shows he can score, but I feel he is more of a marauding fwd than a striker or even winger, so in Jan if AC stays, I feel no change except Coles contract.

O'Neil is also out of contract in the summer, he seems such a laid back sort of fella, that if we offered him an extension of a couple of years he would sign, so to keep a solid squad player, I would do this, his ankle is suspect since that NRC takle, but from all accounts he is now back 100% and I see him as reliable pro.

Collision, the boat is out for me on him, how screwed up is he? This knee injury has been described as similar to Ledley Kings, so whilst Ledley can play as a CB and not be so mobile, Jack's game relies on him running around a lot more, can we honestly carry a player who cannot play week in, week out, even if he is a sqaud player? Sad for me to say this, but I would not take that chance and not renew his contract.

Rob Hall's contract is up in June too I think, renew for 3+ years, 15-20K a week if possible.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

sendô wrote:Number of goals scored so far this season by strikers?

Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

sendô wrote:Number of goals scored so far this season by strikers?

I think its more the way we play than the personnel...
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

westhamirish wrote:Victor Wanyama from Celtic. :thup:
If last night was anything to go by he'll be off to a bigger fish than us
Islington_Iron
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Islington_Iron »

Oh dear...I haven't really recovered from the summer transfer threat yet :oops:

Oh well, maybe we'll get a new left back and probably sell a few players but I just don't want carltinio to leave...
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

A good centre half and a keeper, that´s it, very pleased with our strength in depth on all other positions.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

westhamirish wrote:Victor Wanyama from Celtic. :thup:
We were linked with him in the summer and a lot of people on here turned their noses up at the idea.