Transfer Window: Summer 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Welling

Re: Summer Transfer thread - 2013/2014

Post by Welling »

Rio wrote:Welling. As a much respected poster on this site I must pull you up about that post.

This is no place to post sense, reason, nor intelligence. Get a grip man.

Now when are we selling Taylor for £9m and bringing in 2 strikers on peanuts Wednesday or Thursday?
I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me! :oops:
artlin

Post by artlin »

Welling wrote: As the saying goes........Rome wasn't built in a day

COYI
No BUT Guthrie, Oklahoma was !!!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Spurs say they're considering a rival Bale bid (BBC)
Tottenham have received offers from more than one club for Real Madrid target Gareth Bale.
According to senior sources at White Hart Lane, Real's £86m bid for the 24-year-old Welshman is not the only one being considered.
Spurs insist no final agreement has yet been reached with the Spanish giants.
Hmmm........
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Whilst it's probably slightly poor form to pick you up on an otherwise excellent post Welling...
Welling wrote:The debts of the club are reducing.
Not so. If anything, the overall debt is increasing.
Welling wrote:Hope that some of our younger, home-grown players get the opportunity to break into the team. It is part of our heritage.
Agreed - but only if they're better than the other options we have.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Billydinho wrote:As much as I rate our team as one of the top 10 in the league, with the exception of Reid, I can't see anyone coming in for anyone else.
A tribute to Sam making a good cohesive unit out of the players at his disposal perhaps...
Welling

Post by Welling »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Spurs say they're considering a rival Bale bid (BBC)

Tottenham have received offers from more than one club for Real Madrid target Gareth Bale.
According to senior sources at White Hart Lane, Real's £86m bid for the 24-year-old Welshman is not the only one being considered.
Spurs insist no final agreement has yet been reached with the Spanish giants.

Hmmm........
I think we should offer £3m plus Matt Taylor, a pair of Karen's used panties and David Sullivan's Hat.
Could we afford the wages though? :thup:
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

the pink palermo wrote:Welling , what was wrong with Franco ?

One of the most cultured players I've seen us have for many years .
I was about to make the same point, very unfair to lump "El General" in with some of those other players.

The guy was 34/35 but was still a very decent centre forward and I doubt was on massive money, plus we bombed him out after his 12 mth contract. Same as Diego Tristan plus the loan of Di Michele too.

He was better from both of them though and actually played like he gave a ****, unlike some of the other rubbish we had in the claret and blue at that time.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Up the Junction wrote: Not so. If anything, the overall debt is increasing.

Agreed - but only if they're better than the other options we have.
UTJ, is there a thread you can direct me to where I can read up on the debt?
Welling

Post by Welling »

the pink palermo wrote:Welling , what was wrong with Franco ?

One of the most cultured players I've seen us have for many years .
Fair point. It was wrong f me to include Franco in that list. Instead I'll add Mido, Savio, McCarthy, Ilan, and Barrera.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Welling wrote: Fair point. It was wrong f me to include Franco in that list. Instead I'll add Mido, Savio, McCarthy, Ilan, and Barrera.
Those, I'll give you :lol:

Seriously, we have the best constructed squad in years .Possibly one striker short , but only possibly - and that's because many of us live in a 4-2-4 time warp .

Sam has done a quite brilliant job creating a squad with genuine competition for places in key positions , spending relatively little and getting a fair balance between grit and style .

People forget we had a period of about 5 years when every story about our club in the press was negative .

Not seen a dud story for some time now .

Carroll, Jarvis, Nolan, Cole, Downing and the soon to be called up Noble ........

Collins and Reid at the back .......Mo the powerhouse .....

I'm happy .
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm happy .
Yep, he has worked wonders. Add in the potential of Ravel and it is exciting times.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

ryanrc wrote:UTJ, is there a thread you can direct me to where I can read up on the debt?
I'm not sure if there's a specific thread Ryan, but David Sullivan talks extensively about the situation in the final part of our interview (which is coming this week)..
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Up the Junction wrote: I'm not sure if there's a specific thread Ryan, but David Sullivan talks extensively about the situation in the final part of our interview (which is coming this week)..
Thanks. I must admit I have been taken in by them saying they are reducing the debt and kind of trusted that they were honest. I'm intrigued to see how they're presenting the finances to look as though the debt has been reduced if it actually hasn't. The other two parts of the interview were spot on so I look forward to the third.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

LeonRivers wrote:
The modern day fan is a sad indictment of the modern day western human. I'm embarrassed.
As mush as you would prefer to disbelieve it, he is. I remember reading it, again on the news story on Kumb at the time he signed for the club. I received similar posts of disbelief in response to Tomkins's wages. Comments such as what planet you on? When after being proven right, remarks such as that would have been better directed at those in control of the club
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

August 2012 wrote:Marseille are on a cost-cutting drive and shedding Diarra’s €300,000 per month salary from the Stade Velodrome wage bill will be welcome for the French giants.
:arry:
Welling

Post by Welling »

Puff Daddy wrote:

As mush as you would prefer to disbelieve it, he is. I remember reading it, again on the news story on Kumb at the time he signed for the club. I received similar posts of disbelief in response to Tomkins's wages. Comments such as what planet you on? When after being proven right, remarks such as that would have been better directed at those in control of the club
Dearest Puff, you haven't been 'proved' right on what Tomkins salary is. Until such time as you or anyone else shows us his wage slip, we only have speculation and hearsay.

In any event, whether it is actually £38k per week or what I believe it to be (which is £25k-£30k), why on earth would you want to ship out a home grown 24 year old player that has represented England at every level up to U21, been runner up in HOTY and is highly rated by people that know much more that either you or I, and replace him with some untested 'average' foreigner just so you can say we've signed someone else?

The only thing as far as I can see that you have proved is that you get yourself far too worked up in transfer windows and sometimes appear to forget what being a realistic West Ham fan is all about.

welling
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I would love Demba Ba back purely for the chant.

:crest:
LouieOneChop

Post by LouieOneChop »

Illan was pretty good
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Welling wrote:

Dearest Puff, you haven't been 'proved' right on what Tomkins salary is. Until such time as you or anyone else shows us his wage slip, we only have speculation and hearsay.

In any event, whether it is actually £38k per week or what I believe it to be (which is £25k-£30k), why on earth would you want to ship out a home grown 24 year old player that has represented England at every level up to U21, been runner up in HOTY and is highly rated by people that know much more that either you or I, and replace him with some untested 'average' foreigner just so you can say we've signed someone else?

The only thing as far as I can see that you have proved is that you get yourself far too worked up in transfer windows and sometimes appear to forget what being a realistic West Ham fan is all about.

welling
Because his wages are too excessive for a player who isn't as good as people want to believe he is. I also think those in control at the club, have called in incorrectly in their assessment he is a future England international too, because he isn't. If you watch him carefully, he gets bullied by forwards, he gets turned all too easily, is slow to recover, is pulled out of position by clever forwards and is often seen running back towards his own goal. None of those are hallmarks of an international in the making.

One match where he displayed all these traits was against Reading at UP in April 2012. Tomkins, was being bullied left, right and centre, by Jason Roberts of Reading. Faye, was quick to notice this and clumped Roberts near the touchline by The Alpari Stand. Roberts, who had hitherto got totally the better of Tomkins, was sent sprawling by Faye and was left in a crumpled heap. When he eventually got up, Roberts went whinging to the ref seeking protection, but the ref promptly, told him to stop whining and get on with it. Roberts, never got back into the game after that and was eventually hauled off by McDermott at half time.

My point is, no potential England prospect, allows himself to get bullied by the likes of Jason Roberts.
Tomkins, has also been given countless other opportunities to stake a permanent place in the side, but has he taken them? Nope. What you also must remember is, this is a player who has played over 100 matches for the club and if he really is the player, many of you want to believe he is, then why is he not pushing Collins or Reid out of the team now ?

I know many of you wont like reading this, still clinging to the belief he is the player you want him to be, but my point is, I don't think he is, I'm not saying he is a bad player, in fact, I think he is quite a good player, but not international class and is earning way too much for a player of his abilities. In my opinion and for less than we are paying him, we can get as good, even probably better and pay far less and surely we have to start thinking about that ?

PS I don't think any of us are ever likely to see his pay slip, buy a post from 'Bristolhammer' yesterday surely is convincing enough