Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Re: Allardyce out

Post by Oldun »

Age old problem Pinky,as a club we have never built on success,what other club can have 3 World Cup winners ,all in the backbone of a team,defender,midfield and forward and not ever challenge for the league.
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Oldun wrote:Although it's all going tits at the moment,if there is one manager who will keep us out of relegation it's Allardyce but the point is that even if we do get out of it we have gone backwards.
I was really hoping we would be pushing on this season and that is where Sam and the board have failed us.

We haven't got the money to push on. We have only been up a whole season. Mid table is what we should be looking for and we are one win from that. Sam has been here many times before and he is the best man to sort this out.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

the wren wrote:
Mid table is what we should be looking for and we are one win from that.
We are also just one win off the bottom of the league...
swiftynick

Post by swiftynick »

Why do people keep saying that there is no one better around.How do teams like southampton and swansea manage to pluck managers out off thin air. When over the last few years we have appointed lets face it very average managers,and during the process lost our reputaion for great football
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

So we get the same Sky money has every other team,pick up a 10th place payout from Sky money ,pay one of the highest ticket prices in the country ,we sell out nearly 35000 every game and we have not got any money,something is wrong somewhere isn't it.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

the pink palermo wrote:Now I'll accept fully that some of what we have spent has not been spent wisely but part of the issue is there is so little jam it's being spread too thin .
The fact of the matter is that football finances have moved on. Regularly kumbers refer to the Jarvis or even Carroll signing as if these are massive sums. They're not any more, they're relatively moderate. The Sky money just keeps getting bigger and bigger and West Ham's spending continues to lag.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

swiftynick wrote:Why do people keep saying that there is no one better around.How do teams like southampton and swansea manage to pluck managers out off thin air. When over the last few years we have appointed lets face it very average managers,and during the process lost our reputaion for great football
G&S picked Avram because he was nice.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Oldun, True, it's not a new issue .

We're always one player short of being competitive .Some seasons it's strikers , others it's defenders , and if we get it right at both ends the midfield is poor .

We have played some lovely football at times under Sam , and not everything under Avram was bad , nor GFZ.

The common theme for a long time is a lack of money - Sam made the point that £10m gets you a good but not great PL player .What would Phil Parkes cost in todays market ? Ray Stewart ? Both record fees back then.

We have seen some of the games best players at the Boleyn over the years, sadly not enough at the same time to really make the difference ,
Last edited by the pink palermo on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The sole aim, as we limp towards E20, is for us to (still) be in the top tier when we start our first competitive game there. I would be very surprised if they thought it made business sense to pay up the last 18 months of Sam's contract.

There's no obvious replacement, even if, for some reason, they thought it made financial sense to make the change.

I reckon they'd be faced with a very unpleasant response, if, for instance, they thought McLeish would be an acceptable replacement. No personal grudge against the fella, but, if anything, his teams seem to score even fewer goals than we manage at the moment.

Sam needs to make some difficult decisions and fast. We will stay up. It will be ugly, but we will do it, principally because Sunderland, Palace and one of Hull. Fulham and Stoke will actually be worse than us.

As I say, its a limp towards the promised land.
Roby

Post by Roby »

Losing to Chelsea, one of the best sides in Europe, will not get Big Sam sacked.

What may do though is losing to Hull, Stoke, Norwich and (possibly) Fulham and Palace.

A lot of his signings have been very poor though and a club with financial problems cannot afford to have a £11m winger being relegated to 15 min cameos off the bench within 15 months of joining the club. Make no mistake, that will have been noted by the board.

He can still turn it around though and is a steady pair of hands to manage us for another 2 or 3 years. A five year tenure would give us some stability that we haven't had in recent times.

We need Cole and Petric to bag a goal or two each until Carrol and also Vaz Te return plus a new striker as soon as the window opens.

The Fulham, Palace and Sunderland games will decide his future, we are better than all of them on paper but it depends if they want it more and if he can rejuvenate a team low on confidence for next week.

I think we'll be okay but I can see us being in the bottom 6 all season now so it's not really the time for massive panic attacks.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

We're always one player short of being competitive .Some seasons it's strikers , others it's defenders , and if we get it right at both ends the midfield is poor .

We have played some lovely football at times under Sam , and not everything under Avram was bad , nor GFZ.

The common theme for a long time is a lack of money - Sam made the point that £10m gets you a good but not great PL player .What would Phil Parkes cost in todays market ? Ray Stewart ? Both record fees back then.

We have seen some of the games best players at the Boleyn over the years, sadly not enough at the same time to really make the difference ,

This is probably one of the most accurate statements I have ever seen on this site.
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

So if we don't win any of the next 3 'winnable' games is it time to panic then ?
Roby

Post by Roby »

BondsoBob wrote:So if we don't win any of the next 3 'winnable' games is it time to panic then ?
Yes, although I would stake my mortgage on us winning at least one of those so a moot point.
ludo22
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by ludo22 »

[quote="Roby"}

Yes, although I would stake my mortgage on us winning at least one of those so a moot point.[/quote]

Who do you see scoring our winning goal?
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

Yes, although I would stake my mortgage on us winning at least one of those so a moot point.[/quote]

Wouldn't like to see you lose your house mate. So please do not stake your mortgage on us winning ant of those games !

:wink:
Roby

Post by Roby »

What am I? Mystic Meg? :lol:

Probably a Noble penalty.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

BondsoBob wrote:So if we don't win any of the next 3 'winnable' games is it time to panic then ?
God knows.

I remember multiple posters on here calling the Villa game a must win game and we didn't win it and it means nothing.

We could do with beating Fulham and Palace though and i think we can personally.

We are a decent enough side, we just don't have a striker.

Two clean sheets in those games would be a start, then it's up to us to take a chance or two on each game.
Muddy
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Muddy »

Allardyce out? Have a word...
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Roby wrote: We need Cole and Petric to bag a goal or two each until Carrol and also Vaz Te return plus a new striker as soon as the window opens.

Not likely if they don't get on the pitch.
The Lone Hammer

Post by The Lone Hammer »

I cannot see Cole or Petric ever scoring for us to be honest.

I will probably get thrown out of this forum for saying this but.....

Carlton Cole is a poor player...nice guy....poor player.

Cole and Petric were desperation signings pure and simple.