Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bdw1975

Re: Allardyce out

Post by bdw1975 »

yes i suppose your right i love being a west ham fan
bdw1975

Post by bdw1975 »

just wish the manager wouldn't speak to the press afterwards, as that's where my opinion on him comes from, chatting about the games ive just watched myself and most of the time talking trash.
jenkins89
Has liked: 1 like

Post by jenkins89 »

Let's wait until after the Fulham and Palace games before we have a proper discussion about this. At the moment he's not going anywhere and he shouldn't be. If we don't get anything from the next two then I'd be surprised if he's with us for Christmas.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Has anyone actually said they want him out?? My frustration is that he is persisting with personnel that aren't helping the team. After all this is a team game. I believe in the current team it's just not being used to its max. Cole and maiga can play a half each for all I care but we need to start a striker. We are capable of creating chances, rav has shown he is more than capable of finishing, play him off cc or mm. Change is good and definitely necessary when things are not going to plan.

Time to freshen it up!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

szola wrote:Every player can be sold. Maybe we need to sweeten up the deal by pay part of the wage, but if it means trimming off some of the lard, so be it.
If I've understood the FFP regulations, it is not the fee to buy, but the wage that is our worry. I.e. more players that leave, the better.
Rocketron wrote:You see the contradiction?
A contradiction would mean opposing meanings, Ron.

How is paying part of a wage, and thereby reducing the total amount payed per week contradicting the need to reduce the wage bill? :?

I know paying part of a wage isn't the ideal scenario, but if it frees up some space, why not?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

the pink palermo wrote:So of your list only Petric and Carlton are out of contract in January . We couldn't shift any of the others in the summer , what makes you think we can sell them, or even offload them in the winter window ?
Nothing reasonable.

I hope those players aren't with us, come Feb.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Nothing in football is surprising. Absolutely nothing. So getting rid of Allardyce is something I could see Sullivan doing if poor results persist.

But I have to say that if it does happen that will be a huge mistake and everything that befalls the club in the aftermath, it will have brought on itself. It's been a poor start to the season but the way to make it more likely to become even worse will be to get rid of Allardyce. I hope it doesn't happen but won't be surprised if it does.
***Machismo***

Post by ***Machismo*** »

Be careful what you wish for...... We will end up with either Alex MacLeish, mick mcarthy or Steve Bruce!

Gold and Sullivan's way..... Do just enough to survive!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

***Machismo*** wrote:
Gold and Sullivan's way..... Do just enough to survive!
Enough to take us to the OS in the Premier League ready to flog on and if that means sacking BFS they will
whitechapel hammer

Post by whitechapel hammer »

I'm getting a little frustrated at Allardyce not playing Cole or Maiga up front. I know they aren't great but I think apart from in occasional circumstances (like Spurs) you do need someone who poses a goalscoring threat. I think the manager is making a mistake in not putting some faith in one of those guys, unless he plans to play a 4-6-0 until Carroll returns.

Maiga hasn't been great, but he did well enough against Cardiff opening day and Allardyce hadn't considered playing without a striker in preseason. He needs to ditch that tactic pronto.

He shouldn't be sacked though. He's done a brilliant job to turn the club around and get us where we are. We are now very disappointed with possibly being in a relegation battle. Our expectations have changed due to how good a job he has done.

Just because the team has had a bad run of 6 games or so it's not the time to panic and ditch the manager. Stick with him, play a striker and I firmly believe we will still be in a decent position when Carroll returns and we'll finish comfortably up the table.
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

Spot on! :thup:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

whitechapel hammer wrote:Maiga hasn't been great...
11 months without a goal in the Premier League and prances around like My Little Pony. He's had his chance(s).
whitechapel hammer wrote:Our expectations have changed due to how good a job he has done.
Good shout, WH.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

bdw1975 wrote:bristol i dont even know what trolling is
bristolhammerfc wrote:
Its continually and deliberately repeating the same controversial comments in order to provoke a response or argument.

I have no problem with your opinion, I have asked you to expand on it and give a more detailed response including how you feel it could change?.

I am not happy with our club on so many levels, but changing the manager now won't help.

Don't think he said he wanted to change the manager. I'll expand on it - up to the penalty we had one or two half chances. If SA is implying they are chances that have to be taken, then he is the one who's trolling. It's hardly like we had a 1 on 1 with the keeper or an open goal that was missed. And then he blames poor finishing. The point is we made NO clear chances and he has to take responsibility for that. Once the mistake was made for the penalty I don't think anyone could see a way back because they knew we didn't have a goal in us.

No-ones gonna sack him now, of course that would be insane. But one thing that struck me was that the only two players on the pitch that cost money were Downing and Nolan. Jarvis can't get in the team and Nolan has fulfilled his brief of galvanising and getting us up, not sure he should be starting games now. That's basically about 30m either not on the pitch or not good enough. The way he has composed the squad is awful. The keeper's past it. We've got one adequate striker who's not fit. The previous record signing on the bench. Plus it's just not great the way he's blaming the players. He never says, we've got to stick together, we're all in this, blah blah blah. Meaningless but at least it's not passing the buck.

We have to massively recruit in January which is a nightmare.
trickydicky123

Post by trickydicky123 »

If we keep Allardyce, at least Leyton Orient will realise their dream of playing at the Olympic Stadium!
westhamburgerking

Post by westhamburgerking »

If we don't get at least four points from the next two games he needs to go while there's still time to turn our fortunes around. And Bielsa still hasn't got a new job yet. ****ing Bielsa! I reckon he could do something with this squad.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

jenkins89 wrote:"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0:46 in.
Allardyce out! Bush for manager!
markmc

Post by markmc »

Stick
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

The day finally arrived on Saturday 23rd November 2013 at approx. 1915hrs,that the 'Sam Out Brigade' had been longing for....

A 3-0 home defeat vs a team that has won the League, Champions League & Uefa Cup in the past four years & a team/squad that's worth in excess of £200m+.

Its the manner of the defeat? We didn't have any shots at goal? We're spineless etc...most top quality sides with top quality players make other sides look inferior in every way, shape & form. The majority of time when these sides 'click' its goodnight . We are more hoping for a miracle, bit of luck or just catching teams like Chelsea on a off day..... Saturday was just the norm when it comes to good teams vs average teams. You ask the Sp*rs fans that travelled up to Manchester yesterday :lol:

Some might say we put too many eggs in one basket when if came to the signing of Andy Carroll & in hindsight Allardyce knows he made a error...but does he deserve the sack? We have played the last 4 months with no real striker & it would be scandalous to sack a manager that hasn't had his key player, the most expensive West Ham signing in our history on the pitch...before making a real rash decision.

In what SA has done for West Ham, he deserves that opportunity to turn things around & I want to see how we play with Carroll in the starting X1.

Sacking Allardyce now would rank up as one of the stupidest sackings in recent memory. I cant see anyone that would do any better, in terms of delivering victories with a side crushed by injuries.

If he does go, don't be at all surprised to see Gold/Sullivan turn to a Alex McLeish to turn West Ham fortunes around..to grind out them 0-0 draws & 1-0 victories.

As others have said, be careful what you wish for.

COYI
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

Keep Allardyce.

Nolan out.
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

In all seriousness, I really couldn't name another manager who would is proven in the Premiership and out there who is capable of keeping us up.

I hate Sam as manager, but I can't deny the fact that there's a lack of quality available for us elsewhere.