Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Re: Allardyce: Stick or twist

Post by Roby »

I still stay stick.

I'd give him until the end of the season, whatever happens he's made his bed and he's gotta lie in it.

We are 17th tonight and I bet the owners would take a 17th place finish now if it was offered.

I think Sam can still deliver that but that is nothing like what was in the brochure in the summer.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Off the back of a run that has seen West Ham win just one of their past eight league matches, the future of manager Sam Allardyce has been called into question in recent weeks, but Sullivan says the board have no intention of sacking him. "I really believe Sam is the man for the job," the Hammers co-owner said.

"If he wasn't our manager he is exactly the type of manager you would be bringing in to be the manager. Where do you get someone better than Sam to do the job that is now necessary?

"If you asked me what kind of season Sam has had up to now, I would say disappointing. But let's judge him at the end of the season. I think the Newcastle manager would have been sacked by most fans after a month of the season but now he is flavour of the month."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25374672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whoppeedoo
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 389 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Roby wrote:I still stay stick.
I'd give him until the end of the season, whatever happens he's made his bed and he's gotta lie in it.
We are 17th tonight and I bet the owners would take a 17th place finish now if it was offered.
I think Sam can still deliver that but that is nothing like what was in the brochure in the summer.
Roby we might be 17th now but it's not on offer mate he's got to arrest this alarming form or pay with his job
we don't even look like a team who want to walk onto that pitch anymore. I disagree with the he's made his bed view we applied that to Avram and got relegated!!
Iron Works

Post by Iron Works »

I know someone asked for a Poll and UTJ said there would be one at the end of the transfer window (if I remember correctly) but I feel we should perhaps have a poll that closes on the 31st of December and, if he's still in charge, one at the end of the window please.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

ludo22 wrote:I am beginning to think that there is no real risk to sacking Allardyce because,let's face it,it cannot get any worse.
Of course it could have been worse. We could have lost. We have gained a point on Palace and Fulham today. We only need 3 teams to be worse than us, its called the 'Zola Calculation'.
ludo22 wrote: I just can't see the current set up pulling us out of this slump and there is a desperate need for something,anything to change.
The biggest danger is we say "something must be done" just for the sake of it without having any real idea of what that might be.

No Downing, no Carroll, no Reid, no Nolan. If we had four of our eleven starters back in the side that would be a big change that would improve our performances. Add in a couple of January 'ins' and we'll be ok.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Well , he's either one of the most experienced and respected managers in the Premiership or he's a cross between a dinosaur and a buffoon .

I remember his time at Bolton , which were his best years , or was it his time at Blackburn ,....... it definitely wasn't his time at Newcastle , and that's it as far as I can remember , but there's no doubt that his style of football was successful in its day , has he had his day , I don't think so .
After all , football is a simple enough game , played in a variety of styles , and when all our best players are fit , I quite like our style of two wingers and a big old fashioned centre forward , it works , and it works well .
We're not a rich club , we try to play to our strengths , unfortunately ' our strengths ' are out injured . The player who we broke our transfer record to get hasn't played a minute of football , and our best winger and defender are also both out .

I say judge him when he's got a full set of players to choose from .
Roby

Post by Roby »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Well , he's either one of the most experienced and respected managers in the Premiership or he's a cross between a dinosaur and a buffoon .
I think he's a mixture of all three of those options.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

West Ham Matt wrote:38 0-0's will not keep you up, so it is b*llocks.
It would have kept you up in around half of all PL seasons and given the demographics of this season would seem likely to for this one.

The problem is we cannot keep enough clean sheets to keep us up, we do need some goals as well.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

He spent £22 million on Jarvis and AC - it is incompetence is what it is.

If Zola, for all of his flaws, had had that money, we'd have been playing lovely football, like we did during spells of his tenure.e
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

If he just keeps us up, would he be sacked if that happened?. I would hope so, he is awful in the transfer market and is nearly as boring as Curbs football to watch. He just isn't right for this club, we need to get back to being West Ham. The only thing from West Ham that remains is the West Ham way you always talk about.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Get a decent striker in early in January and we'll most probably be ok.

Changing our strikers is more important than changing our manager at the moment.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

Strikers won't join us to play under him or his style of football.
Roby

Post by Roby »

bubbles1966 wrote:Get a decent striker in early in January and we'll most probably be ok.

Changing our strikers is more important than changing our manager at the moment.
Get another centre half - rumours that Anton was spotted at Upton Park today. Might mean a loan deal from Turkey is on the cards.

Release Carlton (with a heavy heart), shift Maiga back to France and get in two new strikers.

We'd also need one more creative player, someone who can play a through ball or dribble into the box.

That should give us a half decent chance of survival, then sit down with Allardyce in the summer and see how we can avoid the same mistakes next season.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

The only reason he's been tolerated was the notion that we'd be safe in the PL with him in charge. Get rid.
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

Out.
No question about it.
Should have been shown the door after getting us up.
Never been the right man for West Ham in the PL.
Out. Now. Before it's too late.
Please.
wes

Post by wes »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Well , he's either one of the most experienced and respected managers in the Premiership or he's a cross between a dinosaur and a buffoon .

I say judge him when he's got a full set of players to choose from .
1 - Big Sam wasn't, isn't and will never be one of the most respected managers in the PL.
2 - He will never have a full set of players available for selection because that is real life and not FIFA 14.
Roby

Post by Roby »

West Ham Matt wrote:He spent £22 million on Jarvis and AC - it is incompetence is what it is.
It was more than that.

Carroll was £17.5m and it has already been confirmed that Jarvis triggered the clauses to cost the full £10.75m.

When you then consider that Maiga cost £4.7m and Diarra £2m plus substantial wages for a a pathetic impact I'd agree with you that the word incompetence could be thrown about.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

Even if we stay up with Sam (which I somewhat doubt) The club will not move forward with him at the helm. His signings have been average at best taken as a whole (Did we really pay £5m for Miaiga?).

He just lacks the imagination to play the sort of football most of us would like to watch. He starts from a position of the percentages of not losing rather than looking to win games. Whilst we are more solid at the back, we have no flair or creativity being displayed by the team. The 4-6-0 formation for weeks on end was a farce and seems to have seriously affected the teams confidence. It must have been soul destroying for Jarvis and Downing to continuously cross the ball to no-one.

Sam is a one dimensional manager - effective in the Championship but lacking in the top flight. He needs to go at the end of the season if not by the end of this year, if the Club are to improve
Welling

Post by Welling »

West Ham Matt wrote:He spent £22 million on Jarvis and AC - it is incompetence is what it is.

If Zola, for all of his flaws, had had that money, we'd have been playing lovely football, like we did during spells of his tenure.e
And you know that for certain yes?
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

Of course I don't, but I do know Allardyce spunked it.