Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Re: Allardyce: Stick or twist

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd be amazed if the owners made an early decision to extend his contract on the basis on this season. It'll be kept on the back burner while they see our next year pans out.

This summer is a tipping point. The bit where the remnants of championship squad can be offloaded if desired.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

So what was different about yesterday?

Did Sam's attitude and approach differ after his olive branch article?
Did the players come out and play with more passion and show they were backing the manager?
or
Was it that as we were playing Spurs, the fans were more up for it ?

In my opinion it was a combination of all three, it's something we haven't seen for a while and in that case can we truly just blame Sam?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Spurs supporters would add a 4th reason - Tim Sherwood is an idiot. :lol:
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

If anything happens, it has to be done sooner rather than later when the season finishes. Absolutely no point in letting him plan for next year, make signings etc if we're going to get someone different in July. If they're going to get rid of him, it should be before the World Cup to give whoever comes in the chance to get a decent pre season going.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Spurs supporters would add a 4th reason - Tim Sherwood is an idiot. :lol:
Haha True
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Apologies if that last post came across as a bit ' heavy ' , it was just a way of saying that my memory ain't as good as it used to be !
Just imagine if when your memory comes back it turns out that you actually support Millwall... :lol:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Charle Hammer wrote:So what was different about yesterday?

Did Sam's attitude and approach differ after his olive branch article?
Did the players come out and play with more passion and show they were backing the manager?
or
Was it that as we were playing Spurs, the fans were more up for it ?

In my opinion it was a combination of all three, it's something we haven't seen for a while and in that case can we truly just blame Sam?
We weren't time wasting after 5 minutes.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

When have we done that at home this season?
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote:
Just imagine if when your memory comes back it turns out that you actually support Millwall...

That's unlikely mate.... As if that were true then he would still be diagnosed as being " Clinically brain dead " !!!!

;)
alkali
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by alkali »

Things only got worse.[/quote]

b*llocks! Tell that to a teacher or doctor
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Rays Rock wrote:Indeed, also by staying in this league we naturally become more established by default.
I would like now the season to be split into two distinct sectors. Firstly assembling a squad capable of approx 30 points by Christmas and New Year. If this is achieved the manager is rewarded with an audacious loan or signing in January to go on a hell bent FA cup run with sights firmly set on at least a semi final appearance. Obviously trying to amass approx 50 points or above for the remainder of the league season.
One of the best things I've read on here for ages.
An FA Cup run is what we all love and by achieving virtual security by the 3rd round it would allow us to take a breath and change focus which is a luxury we don't presently possess.
30 points in approx 20 games is not a tall order for a pretty well equipped team.
I feel Sam has earnt a crack at some spending before the WC and prices rise.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

the pink palermo wrote:Sam has 13 months left on his contract .

Would you extend it ?

Would he want to extend it ?
I think he does want to take us to the new place, however I think the system of 2 year rolling contracts with end of season reviews kind of keeps all parties as honest as they can be.

I suppose another question to those who want rid is, would we want to let the vast experience of Allardyce in the premier league leave and then allow him to manage the 3rd promoted play-off side (crystal palace stylee) whilst our squad still hasn't quite evolved into a true and safe premier standard squad. Make no doubt he would be VERY hot property to any promoted chairman.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 183 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

mushy wrote: Mr Clown,
Is it really that hard for you to enjoy a day like today, as it should be enjoyed?
Because if it really is that hard after a win against this lot, then I feel sorry for you, I really do.
Was me posting, but using Mr Clown's laptop. Yes, thoroughly enjoyed the day but is this not the stick or twist thread? Hence my comments and a reason to back up my desire to see the back of him.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Up the Junction wrote:You stunned everyone into total silence, OMoS.

But .. you are officially our first dead member. Which probably deserves a profile tag or something.
Perhaps I should have re -named myself ' Zombie Hammer ' :)

I don't know exactly how long I was ' clinically dead ' for as Jennie was on her way home to Skye for some more clothes when she received the phone call , but it must have been for quite a time for the Nurse to console her etc etc
Now , I just forget little things , which could be just getting old , or the strong pain killers I'm on .

After around 17 days , I finally came out of the coma , then I was talking gibberish for around 7 days which re-enforced the Doctors ' opinion that I'd have brain damage , but then I came round properly , but still wasn't out of the woods , so Jennie says .
Anyway , I won't bore you with stories of the undead , I'm still here , still breathing , and I'm very grateful for everyone on here's company .
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Rays Rock wrote: would we want to let the vast experience of Allardyce in the premier league leave and then allow him to manage the 3rd promoted play-off side (crystal palace stylee) whilst our squad still hasn't quite evolved into a true and safe premier standard squad. Make no doubt he would be VERY hot property to any promoted chairman.
I would take the so called risk any day! better still he can take some of the players he loves so much, as no on else will take them off his hands, no way can we afford to risk the budget for summer transfers on Sam again, or we will just be in the same position as this season come next May!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Yes,it all turned out well yesterday as his system will on a fairly infrequent basis.The percentage game will bear some fruit,,,,

He underplays the significance of going down to ten men... seems to have convinced some

It is a massive disadvantage..

2 - 0 under those circumstances,both goals being gifts was the minimum to expect.

Get a midfield Sam.It will help you to take advantage of such situations..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Anyway, I won't bore you with stories of the undead...
I found it quite refreshing to be honest, OMoS. Certainly puts everything written in the last 800 pages into perspective.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

jaybs wrote:I would take the so called risk any day! better still he can take some of the players he loves so much, as no on else will take them off his hands, no way can we afford to risk the budget for summer transfers on Sam again, or we will just be in the same position as this season come next May!
I'm certainly no advocate of the Premier League as the be all and end all, but it's interesting that you would take the risk of possibly derailing any financial plans that the board have put in place to try and get the club in a healthy state for the first time in about 20 years by trying to negate relegation and collect £70 m when you pass go. Just remember how poor Crystal palace looked when they first came up before they changed management to Pullis.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Rays Rock wrote:
I'm certainly no advocate of the Premier League as the be all and end all, but it's interesting that you would take the risk of possibly derailing any financial plans that the board have put in place to try and get the club in a healthy state for the first time in about 20 years by trying to negate relegation and collect £70 m when you pass go. Just remember how poor Crystal palace looked when they first came up before they changed management to Pullis.

Not on topic I know but given you mention it....

Are we in a healthy state financially or getting any better? From what I read in this terms club report... We owe more than we did when the Dave's took over and we are paying more to cover the debt .... Certainly we are paying more to the Dave's against the loans they made to the club.... Which is around £40-50 million... The other £60-70 million we owe I ain't so sure about...

I don't pretend to be an expert so if I am wrong apologies but I read we currently have liabilities of £118 million and at take over it was around £105 million.... Then also the higher cost of having those loans that we pay the Dave's ....
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Fishdo wrote:
Not on topic I know but given you mention it....

Are we in a healthy state financially or getting any better? From what I read in this terms club report... We owe more than we did when the Dave's took over and we are paying more to cover the debt .... Certainly we are paying more to the Dave's against the loans they made to the club.... Which is around £40-50 million... The other £60-70 million we owe I ain't so sure about...

I don't pretend to be an expert so if I am wrong apologies but I read we currently have liabilities of £118 million and at take over it was around £105 million.... Then also the higher cost of having those loans that we pay the Dave's ....
Me neither, but what I was referring to was the ability to gain another £70 m for staying up, and continue with the plan to get all remaining debt out of the grasp of the banks.