Manager 15: The Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Who would you like to see appointed as West Ham United' 15th full-time manager?

Carlo Ancelotti (free agent)
12%
Rafa Benitez (Napoli)
5%
Marcelo Bielsa (Marseille)
23%
Slaven Bilic (free agent)
13%
Frank de Boer (Ajax)
7%
Tony Carr (West Ham Utd)
0%
Paul Clement (Madrid)
0%
Roberto Di Matteo (free agent)
0%
Unai Emery (Seville)
13%
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
5%
Jurgen Klopp (free agent)
13%
Aitor Karanka (Middlesbrough)
0%
Michael Laudrup (free agent)
2%
Steve McClaren (free agent)
0%
Garry Monk (Swansea)
0%
David Moyes (Soceidad)
1%
Alan Pardew (C Palace)
1%
Harry Redknapp (free agent)
1%
Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)
1%
André Villas-Boas (Zenit)
1%

Total votes: 846

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: Manager 15: The Poll

Post by Aceface »

YoungHammer wrote:Must say I am amazed that Marcelo Bielsa is doing so well.

I'm not saying it won't work, as it could definitely, but it's a gamble.
He's a massive gamble - doesn't speak English, tends to only last a few seasons, seems mildly autistic, hasn't won much of note outside of an Olympic gold.

The big upside is people still talk about his teams years after he's gone - his Chile and Bilbao teams all have reputations far beyond what they'd have had with anyone else in charge, and his Marseilles team (briefly) gave the two moneybags teams in France a run for their money for the title this season. Has coached a team to the Europa league final. Tends to work with not a great amount of money.

If we want to win things, Rafa and others are a far better choice. If you're realistic that even with the move we probably won't be contenders, then Bielsa will at least make a team worth being proud of in the meantime.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Aceface wrote:If we want to win things, Rafa and others are a far better choice. If you're realistic that even with the move we probably won't be contenders, then Bielsa will at least make a team worth being proud of in the meantime.
with what we have at the moment i doubt we'd win funk all with any manager.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Gone for Emery. The reality though is a number of those candidates seem like they'd be excellent for us.

For some of them we need to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, and I think we just could be.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

i voted Howe a lad I have championed many times on here and outside. i thinki he'll go to the very top.
he wont leave Bournemouth at this point however and for that reason I hope he keeps them up - I'll be having a bob or tow on that.
maybe in a few more years.....
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

For me, it's about changing the identity of the club and changing the entire philosophy of the squad and staff.

Eddie Howe
Unai Emery
Marcelo Bielsa

All evolutionary managers.

I don't want a manager to come in and just 'manage' an existing brand, with his own take on things, I believe we need someone to change the entire way the club approaches things.

I don't want to see us spending £10m on a player to subsidise a team with his quality and try to make it all work.
I want us to build a squad and team, all with the same idea and drive and that ANY player - whether they are £1m or £21m - is purchased in order to fit into this philosophy based on their attributes and that they are the correct players for us, not just a good player that we've bought.
That's why all this talk of 'needing' a big budget is missing the point for me slightly.

You buy the correct players. They don't have to be expensive and buying expensive is no guarantee of getting the right player in.

If we cannot bring in this sort of manager, then I've no problem in seeing another tactically astute manager arrive and drive the club forward and hopefully builds an identity, a philosophy with us along the way.
I see someone such as Bilic, for example, fitting that latter mould.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

Excellent points Rars
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

If we get Emery can we call him Dick?
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

QuintonNimoy wrote:If we get Emery can we call him Dick?
oooh you are awful, but I like you.. :wink:
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

Dick Advocaat is officially out of contract. Why is his name not mentioned?

And who the hell voted for Harry!?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

comebackjoecole wrote:Dick Advocaat is officially out of contract. Why is his name not mentioned?
He did say he was gonna retire after the Sunderland gig, but looks like he's having 2nd thoughts now...
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

To be fair, there was no Premier League when Ferguson took over.

Jus' saying.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Sean Dyche at 50-1 is looking tempting.
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

I'll go for Bielsa. I dont think he'll come in and hit the ground running. But at the same time he wont get us relegated there are bound to be atleast 3 worse teams next season, On that basis I'd give him a 2 year deal and some time to gradually transform the squad and style of play from the current left by Sam. I reckon by season 2 he would have us performing well. Given a few transfer windows and the team understanding what he requires from them.

Hey ho, atleast i'll actually enjoy watching my beloved football for once! I'm sick of watching a boring ass game with very little attacking intent, hoof and cross after cross. Then thinking at full time, why did I even bother !!
Last edited by GreenStHammer on Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

bubbles1966 wrote:Sean Dyche at 50-1 is looking tempting.
he's come in a bit.

I'd be happy with him.
Iron Works

Post by Iron Works »

I initially voted for MB but now it looks like he is staying at OM I reckon CA would be a good choice because not only is he a great manager and well above our station but I would expect he's as mad as a box of frogs when you get to know him. Someone outside the box is you get my drift.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Went for Bilic.

Though I'd love Klopp lets be realistic. Is he really going to come here?

Bielsa would be great in terms excitement but with the squad in its present state could he get his methodology to work. Look what happened when Zola try to get us playing. Worked great initially but it was like carving a sculpture with a bread knife.

I like the way Bilic approaches things. Gets his teams working and playing. So in terms of realism and philosophy he's my choice
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:For me, it's about changing the identity of the club and changing the entire philosophy of the squad and staff.

Eddie Howe
Unai Emery
Marcelo Bielsa

I don't want a manager to come in and just 'manage' an existing brand, with his own take on things, I believe we need someone to change the entire way the club approaches things.

I don't want to see us spending £10m on a player to subsidise a team with his quality and try to make it all work.
I want us to build a squad and team, all with the same idea and drive and that ANY player - whether they are £1m or £21m - is purchased in order to fit into this philosophy based on their attributes and that they are the correct players for us, not just a good player that we've bought.
That's why all this talk of 'needing' a big budget is missing the point for me slightly.

You buy the correct players. They don't have to be expensive and buying expensive is no guarantee of getting the right player in.

If we cannot bring in this sort of manager, then I've no problem in seeing another tactically astute manager arrive and drive the club forward and hopefully builds an identity, a philosophy with us along the way.
I want to switch my vote to RARS :D
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:For me, it's about changing the identity of the club and changing the entire philosophy of the squad and staff.

Eddie Howe
Unai Emery
Marcelo Bielsa

Agree with this 100%

However....... I don't see our chairmen going all in on this philosophy. At no point in their past have they (Sully) been able to stop themselves from interfering to some level. Especially if they have a manager who is new to the league, how will Sully not take the opportunity to jump in over the manager's head?
shirkhammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by shirkhammer »

comebackjoecole wrote:Dick Advocaat is officially out of contract. Why is his name not mentioned?

And who the hell voted for Harry!?
Harry of course. :lol: