The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stk31

Re: A £20 million plus striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by stk31 »

1860OnceMoore wrote:Zlatan........
I've thought Zlatan would be a great sign of intent for some time now, most would suggest it's pie in the sky, but at his age what would he be sold for £20M?, he must have a little ambition left in him to try his hand in the Premier League. The lift he'd give the club and fans would be worth every penny, it's not a long term option but would be a great way to start things off at the OS.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm another one who would like to see us at least try for Zlatan. For one, arguably 2 quality seasons out of him would be ideal for us and easier to attract better players, keep players as well as attract a wider fanbase. It would be the kind of leftfield signing he'd make in the twilight of his career to prove how good he is at a Club that isn't traditionally at the top. I reckon he'd absolutely love playing for someone like Bilic as well. Use the '£20m' on more pressing issues in the squad. He would embrace the League. Plus he rarely misses games!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Zlatan is out of contract in the summer so would be a free (excluding signing on and wages). Probably still £20 million in those two (£200,000 a week, so that's immediately £10 million a season), but without the transfer fee it's not a bad deal.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

If PSG win the Champions League then i think Zlatan would be a very small possibility. I don't think he would 'downgrade' willingly until he has achieved that ambition though
I can see him having a season with Bayern, or going to an English club in the Champions League (heaven forbid Spurs)
stk31

Post by stk31 »

Absolutely crazy just to be talking about him as a possible target!
djoe

Post by djoe »

stk31 wrote:Absolutely crazy just to be talking about him as a possible target!
Why not ... we could try.
He just said he wants to play in the PL so give it a try
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Zlatan makes even more sense if you fold in the Qataris as possible investors.
stk31

Post by stk31 »

djoe wrote: Why not ... we could try.
He just said he wants to play in the PL so give it a try
I meant it's crazy that we're now in a position where we're talking about him as a serious prospect, when you think back a few years the targets the club would have to realistically pursue.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Would love Zlatan to usher in a new era at the OS.

Its out of our reach, realistically speaking, as he'll have far more glamourous clubs in Europe after him, and far more financially rewarding offers on the table around the glove (China, UAE) than us.

So really, we offer him little.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Zlatan
Terry

:lol:
Crouchend_Hammer

If he comes to England I think he will go to Spurs
Zlatan and Kane up front would be very tasty!
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:Would love Zlatan to usher in a new era at the OS.

Its out of our reach, realistically speaking, as he'll have far more glamourous clubs in Europe after him, and far more financially rewarding offers on the table around the glove (China, UAE) than us.

So really, we offer him little.
A challenge? I mean, looking at his career, aside from Ajax he's never not been in a team that's won the league in their division, and aside from Malmo he's always been at a top team in the division he's in. We could sell it to him on two points - one, prove yourself in England, and two, prove yourself for a 'non-big' club but one that has the resources and newly flush with money from a stadium to potentially challenge. Three, come here and be the centre of attention, rather than one of many at City/United/Arsenal. Four, we've got Payet.

F*ck me, Payet laying on goals for Zlatan. I need a tissue.

The reports I was reading said that, essentially, he wants a season in a top league and then to go and spend his final years playing in MLS/China/UAE. And the only top league he's not played in and won is the Premier League. So I would assume the desire to come to England is there already. If we can sell him on the idea that our club has the potential to challenge with him at the helm for a season, and stroke his ego a bit, I think we could pull it off. Money should be no object for us in getting someone like him, even just for one season.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It's been suggested Zlatan would end up in the MLS in 2017, so could we talk him into a year of the Premier League?

Imagine that. Zlatan and Batshuayi :lol:
Modern
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Modern »

Really can't see that myself Crouchend.

Pochettino was wary of bringing in another striker in Jan in case it upset the squad. If squad harmony is what you want, not to mention keeping wages down for a stadium build Zlatan is not your man. For Spurs I think Dembele is more the profile for where we are right now and the deal we'll go for.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Zlatan, great player.
Too old & too crazy.
Why risk upsetting a group of united players that are obviously heading in the right direction by bringing in a nutter.
Crouchend_Hammer

Modern wrote:Really can't see that myself Crouchend.

Pochettino was wary of bringing in another striker in Jan in case it upset the squad. If squad harmony is what you want, not to mention keeping wages down for a stadium build Zlatan is not your man. For Spurs I think Dembele is more the profile for where we are right now and the deal we'll go for.
I hope so!
If not Spurs, Bayern or Arsenal

Although if he rocked up at Leicester that would be amusing!
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Zlatan will be 35 in October.

Realistically, what Premier League club would want to invest in a 35 year old striker, with 0 re-sell value?
Crouchend_Hammer

Loads of them if it meant they won the league or Champions League

He has kept himself in remarkably good nick over the years, and has had minimal injuries. A 35 year old Zlatan is like a 32 year old mere mortal

Anyway, i doubt Man City, Chelsea, Man u, Arsenal or even Spurs give much a f*** about re-sale value
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

only1post wrote:Zlatan, great player.
Too old & too crazy.
Why risk upsetting a group of united players that are obviously heading in the right direction by bringing in a nutter.
This thread :lol:. Has he ever failed at any club? Has he ever caused upset? No, he's won league titles every year except one since 2001. Besides, Zlatan would never ever play for a club like us. He's obsessed with winning the CL and if PSG don't win this year, he won't leave for another club unless there's a realistic chance of winning the champions league. There is not one player on his level in the entire PL, and there's not a chance in hell he'll come to us, unless we sign Mourinho and PSG win the CL.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

szola wrote:Zlatan will be 35 in October.

Realistically, what Premier League club would want to invest in a 35 year old striker, with 0 re-sell value?
He hasn't scored less than 20 goals in a season since 06/07 and is also good for about 10 assists a season, has a good injury record, and is a massive, massive name. Any investment you'd easily recoup a lot of in shirt sales with his name on, ticket sales to see him, and the league places his goals could get you to.

For arguments sake let's just assume those stats would transfer to us - a big assumption, but roll with it. Zlatan creates or scores a goal 29 times in 26 games, so an average of one every 80 minutes. 1.125 goals a game, or one every game with a brace in the eighth game. How much further up the table could we be with his goals/creation? 1 against Leicester and we get a point, 1 against Bournemouth and we get another point. Against Norwich, no difference as Sakho scored so it's like for like. Against Sunderland we win the game (this is Zlatan's eighth game, so he's good for two goals). In fact, the only games where he couldn't have changed the result this season are Watford and Spurs, and possibly Newcastle if you count Jelavic as our main striker.

If you assume that, and as I say it's a big assumption, how many places is he worth in the league? We're easily above Southampton and Man Utd now, and probably breathing down the necks of City if not above them. £3 million quid made.

It's a flimsy assumption to make, I know, but that's the sort of difference I think he could make for us. I'd say we'd end up recouping the outlay on him.