The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: A £20 million plus striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by Patito »

upton o'good wrote:
Indeed. It is almost impossible to believe that they are both multimillionaire businessmen, and you're not.

Spat my tea everywhere thanks upton :lol:
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

giantsteps wrote:As I said in my first post today though, we've been scouting this bloke for about a year, he was meant to be on Payet's recommendation (allegedly), why couldnt't we of sorted out a pre-contract agreement?

Sullivan got all dizzy with the Lacazette stuff (imo). Was never going to happen.

Then we have all these potential transfer targets, one by one they get signed by other clubs. We are left scratching around holding our John Thomases again.

Repeat cycle.
If you seriously believe that then you're delusional. The fact that Batshuayi has gone to Chelsea has nothing to do with the club dithering and more to do with the fact that the player wanted a bigger club and his agent made sure he got one. It wouldn't have mattered if the bid was submitted yesterday or weeks ago, their camp would've held out to the last minute to get a better deal from a CL club or a more reputable outfit in their eyes. Remember that this is a board that thought they could get their main striker in for £20m-£25m 5 weeks ago. The market has gone utterly mad and the club are weighing up the best options available to them.
Whu_Law23
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by Whu_Law23 »

Ex's latest column basically confirms what we knew about the Batshuayi and Tore situations, Burke and Knoyle to follow Dobson in going out on loan and also says we've got 5 offers on the table for strikers, one of them being Mario Gomez.

Anyone want to guess the other four? I'm going Lacazette, Benteke, Bacca and maybe Icardi?
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Whu_Law23 wrote:Ex's latest column basically confirms what we knew about the Batshuayi and Tore situations, Burke and Knoyle to follow Dobson in going out on loan and also says we've got 5 offers on the table for strikers, one of them being Mario Gomez.

Anyone want to guess the other four? I'm going Lacazette, Benteke, Bacca and maybe Icardi?
Pretty sure Zaza is one.
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Whu_Law23 wrote:Ex's latest column basically confirms what we knew about the Batshuayi and Tore situations, Burke and Knoyle to follow Dobson in going out on loan and also says we've got 5 offers on the table for strikers, one of them being Mario Gomez.

I'd also say he's jumping the gun on Burke. I doubt he'll be going anywhere until he signs a new contract.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

what about robin van persie, could definitely still do a job at 32
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I thought his legs had gone?
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Leeds think they have a good chance of signing Ashley Fletcher. They have recently appointed a new CEO from Barnsley where Fletcher was a massive success last season, so he would know all about his agent, the deal he was on and being out of contract. Fletcher is also a West Yorkshire boy too from Keighley near Bradford. He joined them on loan in January when they were in deep trouble at the bottom of the League. Many Tykes fans saw him as the catalyst of their surge up to the Play -Offs. From what I saw of him he had touch of the Rashfords about him.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

This from the Leeds Evening paper I saw last week (Thursday).
Confirms Ashely Fletcher 20, out of contract but compensation due to Manchester United due to age;

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-7980451;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

DDHammer wrote:Image

Worth a punt.
Goals per game might be better than 1 in 1, but reading the small print, I suspect he might have some attitude problems!
JohnnyMoncs

Post by JohnnyMoncs »

Has anyone seen Milik play other than at the Euro's? I like him and I dont know why because he's missed a boatload so far in the tournament!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

[comment deleted by poster - not transfer-related]
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:Wish we would just give up on Lacazette and go for somebody realistic.

Like Gary Goals ?
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Nkoudou to be sold by Marseille. West Ham willing to pay €13mil
http://www.butfootballclub.fr/ligue-1/m ... a-volonte/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

upton o'good wrote: Indeed. It is almost impossible to believe that they are both multimillionaire businessmen, and you're not.
If you seriously believe that then you're delusional
Is it not possible to have a light hearted moan about being scuppered by Chelsea at the final hurdle for a player you've always fancied being at your hallowed club?

The self-righteous, holier-than-thou attitude from some posters at times is incredibly Alan Partridge-esque I find

There's some precious Penelopes on here.
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

JohnnyMoncs wrote:Has anyone seen Milik play other than at the Euro's? I like him and I dont know why because he's missed a boatload so far in the tournament!
I am in the same boat as you.. I haven't seen him play before, but really like the look of him. Although if he could shoot, Poland would have put most games to bed.

His movement and work rate are top drawer something I'm sure we'd appreciate!

I have trust in Sully to pull one of these deals off. Personally I have been going on about Lacazette for a couple of seasons and feel it is a deal we will complete. Nothing to worry about, the players haven't even returned for Pre-Season yet.

With regards to Ashley Fletcher he was the one player that stood out in the Play Off final, that is the only time I've seen him but he appeared to be lively!
amsterdhammer
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by amsterdhammer »

JohnnyMoncs wrote:Has anyone seen Milik play other than at the Euro's? I like him and I dont know why because he's missed a boatload so far in the tournament!
Yeah, I'm a STH at Ajax so have seen him a lot. Thought he was hopeless at the start of the season, but warmed to him a bit as it went on, although still far from convinced.

On the plus side he certainly knows where the goal is, he got 21 in 31 last season, but that's nothing spectacular in the Eredivisie where most teams are championship level and those down the bottom of the table are probably league one (Janssen who keeps getting mentioned on here was 27 in 34)

Ajax tend to play him in the middle of a front 3 and whilst he does know how to make a nuisance of himself in the box, he's no speed merchant, his first touch can be genuinely shocking, and you wouldn't put money on him in a 1:1.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he came as a third/fourth choice but he's certainly not the marquee striker we're looking for and I'm not sure he would add anything new - think Geordie Lump lite!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I sometimes feel like you could mention Lewandowski or Aubameyang in connection with us on here and people would say they'd be happy with them as a third or fourth choice.

Given our choices are currently Carroll, Sakho and Valencia, they're going to have to be pretty poor to be third or fourth choice coming here.

Milik would be better than everyone we have, bar a fit and firing Carroll. Not, perhaps, a game changer right now but certainly better than our options as they stand.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by GALF »

Although the news on the Sakho front has gone quiet, if we did lose him I think we could do a lot worse than bringing in Shane Long.

Granted his goals to game ratio isn't particularly great. However, he works tirelessly, has a turn of pace and is good in the air. With Koeman now having gone, and the Saints seemingly keeping up the tradition of being a selling club, I think it could be an interesting option.

That is only if we could bring him in at a reasonable price of course (and Sakho departs).