Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by fmgod »

I think Swansea getting Narsingh for £4m is a great deal even if he flops or they go down, was well worth a punt at that price.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

HammerMan2004 wrote:So in the time it's taken for us to bid for Snodgrass, Livermore has signed for WBA, after having a bid rejected after our initial bid for Snodgrass.
BBC are reporting that Snodgrass has not trained for several days according to Hull because of a muscle injury. If we really want him then we should wait until that has cleared up. Also I wonder if Feghouli's performances have caused a rethink and what Ayew may have said behind the scenes about the Payet position - it has gone quiet on the links with clubs for him.

Striker and RB are both more important for me than Snodgrass, actually if the choice was Fonte or Snodgrass I would probably plump for Fonte. That may have been the choice offered Bilic at least until Payet has gone.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

claretcloggy wrote: and Southampton; none
I missed Sunderland as well, None.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

DD I take your point mate but I understood Man City confirmed they have signed Gabriel Jesus for 27 million
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

West Brom can conduct their business as quick as they like if nobody else wants the players they are signing.

Livermore is bang average and I suspect they were the only club vying for his signature.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

33 is not past it anymore for a quality centre half
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Fishdo wrote:DD I take your point mate but I understood Man City confirmed they have signed Gabriel Jesus for 27 million
Almost included him, but they announced back in August he was joining for Jan.

Manchester City
✔ ‎@ManCity
Here we go! Let’s all #WelcomeGabriel to City! ➡️ http://manc.it/2aMU1vU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #mcfc
4:00 PM - 3 Aug 2016
Last edited by DDHammer on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

chigwells finest wrote:33 is not past it anymore for a quality centre half
It's very close to it, what other CB's that age play for a Prem club or one of Europe's better clubs?
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

DDHammer wrote:
Almost included him, but they announced back in August he was joining for Jan.
Thanks mate didn't realise that .... he looks like he could do well in the PL ... if he can adjust ...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

chigwells finest wrote:33 is not past it anymore for a quality centre half
Agreed. Playing CB, unless you are one that relied on pace, will not be affected that much be age.

Positional understanding, reading of the game, leadership. None of these will be affected

In this day and age if a player looks after himself (which the vast majority do) then physicality is no problem. It is not as though they need to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Anyone turning their noses up at Fonte needs a serious reality check.

The man is a top class defender, part of what has been a fantastic Southampton defence and was an integral part of what can only be described as a sublime defensive performance from Portugal during the Euros.

He automatically improves our defence immediately. Lest not forget how poor we’ve been this season at the back. Along with Reid, it provides us with one of the best centre half partnerships in the league.

I won’t even get started on the astounding revisionism surrounding James Tomkins.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fmgod wrote:
It's very close to it, what other CB's that age play for a Prem club or one of Europe's better clubs?
Jon Terry captained Chelsea to the Premier League at 34
Jamie Carragher was still at heart of Liverpool defence at 33
I am sure Italian CBs go on for donkeys years

Fonte was a late bloomer, he didn't really play top flight football in a top league until he was about 28-29 so probably got a fair amount in the tank vs someone who has been bruised and battered since early 20s
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

fmgod wrote: It's very close to it, what other CB's that age play for a Prem club or one of Europe's better clubs?
Juventus have done pretty well with a 35 year old and a 33 year old at the back.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I suppose if Fonte is right-sided, a side effect is Reid gets to shift back to the left where he does his best work.

I'm not as down on Ogbonna as some - he's a good squad option to have - but it would be hard to argue him and Reid have gelled particularly well at any point.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

More and more feel like we are going to stick with Byram at RB - which I'm OK with - and then hold out for Defoe into the final week, when if we get nowhere we'll activate the Hogan deal.

Fonte coming in on the right side of defence moves Reid over to the left. Alternative Fonte plays as our sweeper in a three, Ogbonna and Reid either side. Either is good on paper.

If we go three at the back I'd line-up with Byram and Cresswell on the wings and then Lanzini and Antonio behind Carroll. Midfield is then a fight between Obiang, Noble, and Kouyate.

Personally would (on current form) slot Kouyate back in the middle of the three, go Reid left and Fonte right, then Noble and Obiang in the centre.

I suppose with three at the back we can at least say we have Byram with Antonio as cover for RWB.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Probably more older CB's than I realised but I think the players mentioned are in a completely different league to Fonte

Got to be first time in ages since Slav got here we haven't been linked with any players from the Turkish league
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Fonte signing is being questioned as we still haven't signed a quality right back or striker in my opinion

Had we of made those signings first it wouldn't be questioned

We have needed those positions filled for a year now and still haven't got it done
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Bojan anyone? similar type of player to Lanzini, 26 so a good age.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Lets not start citing the Italian league to denote ageing centre backs being reliably high quality.

Older players do better in Serie A, mainly because it's an infinitely slower paced game. That's strikers and defenders alike.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

fjthegrey wrote:Lets not start citing the Italian league to denote ageing centre backs being reliably high quality.
How about the Champions League and Internationals?