Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It would take £40-50million to take Oxlaide Chamberlain from Arsenal.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

One season wonder? He's been producing the same ability on and off for his whole career. Last season just crystallised just how good he can be and he carried that on all Summer for his National team as their main man.

Anything under £30m is laughable for a 29yo with his attritubutes. And even £30m is signifcantly under selling such a talent.

Can't believe anyone would find these kind of offers acceptable and it seems neither do the Board as no news yet of an agreement with anyone.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Colours never run wrote: He's been producing the same ability on and off for his whole career. Last season just crystallised just how good he can be and he carried that on all Summer for his National team as their main man.
The bits in red are the reasons why doubling our money is very good business.

Otherwise he'd be at Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, PSG, Man City......etc.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Fact is that if we had received a bid of under 30 million in the summer we would have laughed it out of the forum.

Payet and Marseille have played a blinder if they get him for 23 million and a few add ons. He'll probably go to China in the summer for 50 odd....
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Welbeck instead of Sturridge on a loan to buy anyone?
Always felt he could come be an absolute star for us if we ever managed to land him but his injury probs have been worse than Carroll's and Sturridge's the last couple of years.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

HammerMan2004 wrote:It would take £40-50million to take Oxlaide Chamberlain from Arsenal.
Based on what? He's a fringe player for both Arsenal and England. If Arsenal are happy for him to leave he'd be £25m max.

Tbh, he'd be my number 1 target for the summer. I think he needs a change of club to try and truly establish himself and get his career back on track.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Getting a cheap rental deal for the OS against LLDC representatives is one thing, negotiating against a professional football club like Marseille seems to be a different kettle of fish.
I would be extremly disappointed if West Ham settled for a low price below 30 million.
Especially if there is not even a sell on fee.
I thought we were no longer a selling club ?

Selling Payet for 26 million would be pathetic on several levels.
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

HamburgHammer wrote:Getting a cheap rental deal for the OS against LLDC representatives is one thing, negotiating against a professional football club like Marseille seems to be a different kettle of fish.
I would be extremly disappointed if West Ham settled for a low price below 30 million.

Every level HH
bobd_uk
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

smuts wrote:Fact is that if we had received a bid of under 30 million in the summer we would have laughed it out of the forum.
But the situation has changed through no fault of the clubs. In the summer, had we been selling, we'd have been looking to get clubs bidding against each other and hopefully get some Chinese clubs involved. In the summer we're looking at a player off the back of a great Euro's and an even better season.

Now we're looking at a one team market due to the players demands, meaning no bidding war. We're looking at a player who looks demoralised and half of what he was last season.

What we'd get for the player has dramatically changed and we cannot expect what we would have in the summer. That said, anything less than £30m is poor imo.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

HamburgHammer wrote:Getting a cheap rental deal for the OS against LLDC representatives is one thing, negotiating against a professional football club like Marseille seems to be a different kettle of fish.

Would you rather let him rot in the reserves and keep paying him? Can only fine him 2 weeks wages a few times before unions get involved

Considering diarra just won a case that could spell End to contracts long term if others follow suit then I'd rather get money now than risk it

Also if we let him rot his value will just drop and drop whilst we pay him 120k a week
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

Yes, if Marseille are not willing to pay our very modest asking price I would let him rot and invite Marseille to try again in the summer...
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Take the 25M. The guy is tainted goods. Sure we could have got upwards of 40M in the summer but that was before he showed himself up to be a grade A **** and trouble maker. From any buyer's perspective there's a risk associated with Payet. His attitude has tainted his name, reduced his earning power and unfortunatly cost us about 15-20M in book value.
Personally, i'd let him rot until the end of the season then reevaluate the situation.
Last edited by Boooogers! on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I agree with Mumbles. A player's value is only what a buying club is prepared to pay when it is a situation such as Payet's. It's not my money, but I see little point in paying his wages to rot with the under 23s.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

If only Payet had not gone public with all this maybe we would have got a better deal...

Oh wait... but if we just sold him out of the blue, there may have been some board backlash for selling our best player after saying they wouldn't

So interestingly due to the way it's all been portrayed all the blame goes on Payet, we get the deal done right at the last minute not leaving any time to spend the money and fans are so glad to see him gone....

Can't help being suspicious, be interesting to see if Payet gives his version of events after the move.

My guess is the move has been agreed in return for his silence and taking all the stick

All just seems too convenient
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Going to be hilarious if Payet goes to Marseille now for c.£25m, then plays unbelievable and gets a move to China, £ 50m.

Would you say Sully had been Out-Sullied ?
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

A hefty sell on fee should be not too difficult to accept for Marseille if they are convinced he is their golden homesick boy returning...the Payet deal will tell us a lot about the negotiation skills of our board and their ability to take us to the next level...
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Boooogers! wrote:Take the 25M. The guy is tainted goods. Sure we could have got upwards of 40M in the summer but that was before he showed himself up to be a grade A **** and trouble maker. From any buyer's perspective there's a risk associated with Payet. His attitude has tainted his name, reduced his earning power and unfortunatly cost us about 15-20M in book value.
I'll add that his temperament isn't conducive to maintaining the high levels that he is capable of...

And that his game isn't balanced, brilliant on the ball when his temperament allows it, but decidedly substandard off the ball.

Only his ball play is world class, and even then not all the time.
bobd_uk
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

brooking_1980 wrote:Going to be hilarious if Payet goes to Marseille now for c.£25m, then plays unbelievable and gets a move to China, £ 50m.

Would you say Sully had been Out-Sullied ?
We should certainly demand a sell on fee if they don't meet the £30m we want.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

What's it matter how much we get for Payet? It's not our money, and the chances are we have already used it for Fonte and Snodgrass.

If DS is being screwed, then that's karma I guess.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

somerset-hammer wrote: If DS is being screwed, then that's karma I guess.
Sure is. He's made his fortune by doing the exact same, to a far greater number of people. Now the boots on the other foot he's seeing it's not a nice place to be in.