Transfer Window: January 2017

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Post Reply
User avatar
DannyboyDJL
Posts: 4670
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:59 pm

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by DannyboyDJL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
We'll see, Dan. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that we were playing Palace and 'Boro who are both battling relegation, but if we win tonight then I'll gladly accept I was wrong.
That obviously played a part, but you can see the group has come together again. Let them prove themselves.

User avatar
Burnley Hammer
Posts: 6966
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Burnley Hammer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm

It's true that they appear to be putting in that extra effort on the pitch. We look capable of grinding out results now instead of falling apart.

User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Posts: 56294
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:03 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:38 pm

DannyboyDJL wrote:That obviously played a part, but you can see the group has come together again. Let them prove themselves.
I never bought the line that Tevez kept the team up on his own, so it'd be hypocritical to accept that the team is absolutely fine all of a sudden just because one bad apple is no longer present.

I hope they can recover, but it won't be because Payet's no longer at the club.

User avatar
warp
Posts: 13967
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by warp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 pm

bobd_uk wrote:As to the claim of being 4th biggest spenders - that is a proper pile of *****. Ignoring incomings is not how accounts are done!
well they didn't say net spend did they?
so it is actually possible that we are 4th biggest spenders of the window.

now i get that what winds most up is their deflection using facts, half facts or outright lies... but we know that's what they do.

User avatar
Gabers
Posts: 8453
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:23 am
Location: Somewhere only we know...

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Gabers » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Up the Junction wrote: I never bought the line that Tevez kept the team up on his own, so it'd be hypocritical to accept that the team is absolutely fine all of a sudden just because one bad apple is no longer present.
1 player certainly can galvanize or wreck a team absolutely... I've experienced first hand what damage an odd mark can do to a team on more than once occasion (albeit at a non league level even at youth level)

Tevez provided spark and belief on the pitch & led by example but its a team effort... a bad egg can do so much more damage to morale and effectively split the camp quite easily

wildkard
Posts: 2123
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:55 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by wildkard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Up the Junction wrote: I never bought the line that Tevez kept the team up on his own, so it'd be hypocritical to accept that the team is absolutely fine all of a sudden just because one bad apple is no longer present.

I hope they can recover, but it won't be because Payet's no longer at the club.
It's clear that lancing the boil has galvanised the team. Both from the recent performance(s) and players comments. Tevez's presence had a hugely positive effect on the team and results (eventually), Payet's presence had the opposite effect (eventually).

So not sure that's hypocritical at all.

User avatar
Ozza
Posts: 16472
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:41 pm
Location: Karens Tash

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Ozza » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm

let's hope they can continue the progress with tonight being the third step.

User avatar
Gabers
Posts: 8453
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:23 am
Location: Somewhere only we know...

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Gabers » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 pm

can I throw this out there for 1 minute

Lets roll back to the time of the Icemen! they strolled in with their biscuit money and they chucked money around like it was water! they paid inflated prices for average footballers and even worse they paid massive wages.... then the well ran dry and we were in a lot of bother

agree with the business they have done in this window we paid out circa £18m on 2 solid professionals and sold the only player who didn't want to be here anymore! we made £14m profit on that deal (paying 10.7m) so 25m in and 18m spent on what I can only imagine/hope are sensible contracts for Fonte & Snodgrass (they are not on Payet money)

Its a small sample size for comparison but the difference between running a football club with this amount of passion behind it and running a football club as a business is massive

Like them or not! they will not send this club skint as the Icelandic's did

User avatar
DannyboyDJL
Posts: 4670
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:59 pm

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by DannyboyDJL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Up the Junction wrote: I never bought the line that Tevez kept the team up on his own, so it'd be hypocritical to accept that the team is absolutely fine all of a sudden just because one bad apple is no longer present.
I'm not trying to suggest we are suddenly going to go on a big run of smashing teams because Payet has gone, just that the group looks like a group again. How that translates to the pitch over the rest of the season is yet to be seen, but the manager has said "There is a great atmosphere around our squad at the moment and on the training pitches, so we are looking forward to the game."

Slav is showing faith in the players he has. We spent £20m on Ayew in the summer and he hasn't played a full 90 minutes yet. Let's try and get him up and running before adding more players.

Nick Sneddon
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Nick Sneddon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Batshuayi or Hernandez in the summer please, no pissing about

User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Posts: 56294
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:03 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Gabers wrote:Tevez provided spark and belief on the pitch & led by example...
Not in his first 20 or so games he didn't, Gabers (and he only played 29 times). I'll give you the last three - Wigan, Bolton and Man U - though!
wildkard wrote: Tevez's presence had a hugely positive effect on the team and results (eventually).
Exactly. For the vast majority of his few months at the club, Tevez's presence had no positive influence whatsoever (bar perhaps in the stands).

User avatar
Westbourne Bill
Posts: 5202
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: W Sussex

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Sheff Wed finding £10m to spend on Jordan Rhodes is quite staggering.

User avatar
Albie Beck
Posts: 5751
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Albie Beck » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 pm

That's a point, UtJ, but for the majority of the first few months the manager was Alan Pardew.

User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Posts: 56294
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:03 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:54 pm

DannyboyDJL wrote:I'm not trying to suggest we are suddenly going to go on a big run of smashing teams because Payet has gone, just that the group looks like a group again.
All we, as punters, can go by is what we see. And all we've seen is two very good wins against very mediocre opposition.

If what you say is true Danny then we should expect to see a far better performance against Man City tonight than a few weeks ago. Though quite frankly, it'd be difficult to be as poor again.

User avatar
Ozza
Posts: 16472
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:41 pm
Location: Karens Tash

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Ozza » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Gabers wrote:can I throw this out there for 1 minute

Lets roll back to the time of the Icemen! they strolled in with their biscuit money and they chucked money around like it was water! they paid inflated prices for average footballers and even worse they paid massive wages.... then the well ran dry and we were in a lot of bother

Like them or not! they will not send this club skint as the Icelandic's did
Interesting, well they don't have a good history of selling on to a decent owner, and in their tenure we have sold off the one asset we had and are sitting in a very questionable situation with a stadium not fit for purpose.

The Puffin lovers went mental had dodgy money all over the place, and were hit by the biggest financial crash since the great depression.

From what I can see that are making money for themselves (fair enough), but we still sit with a 100m debt with no asset to fall back on.

Anyway this should probably sit in another thread

User avatar
Gabers
Posts: 8453
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:23 am
Location: Somewhere only we know...

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Gabers » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Up the Junction wrote: Not in his first 20 or so games he didn't, Gabers (and he only played 29 times). I'll give you the last three - Wigan, Bolton and Man U - though!
Oh I agree with you! he was pony up until that point (maybe give him some credit for Blackburn away and Spurs at home) Bobby Zamora stood out for me that season he was fighting hard

I only ever think of Tevez in terms of that handful of games ... I don't miss him either
Last edited by Gabers on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MD_HM
Posts: 6786
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 am
Location: London

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by MD_HM » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:Sheff Wed finding £10m to spend on Jordan Rhodes is quite staggering.
10m is the new 5m :wink:

User avatar
Ozza
Posts: 16472
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:41 pm
Location: Karens Tash

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Ozza » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:Sheff Wed finding £10m to spend on Jordan Rhodes is quite staggering.
really, they've got a financial backer and he's a sure bet to get you goals at that level, as I've said previously Championship players who have proved it (and are British), hold their value really well

User avatar
Gabers
Posts: 8453
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:23 am
Location: Somewhere only we know...

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by Gabers » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Ozza wrote: Interesting, well they don't have a good history of selling on to a decent owner, and in their tenure we have sold off the one asset we had and are sitting in a very questionable situation with a stadium not fit for purpose.

The Puffin lovers went mental had dodgy money all over the place, and were hit by the biggest financial crash since the great depression.

From what I can see that are making money for themselves (fair enough), but we still sit with a 100m debt with no asset to fall back on.

Anyway this should probably sit in another thread
My sample size is very small to be fair... and our summer recruitment was awful this season plain and simple (a lot of wasted money)

User avatar
S-H
Posts: 17248
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by S-H » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Up the Junction wrote: Though quite frankly, it'd be difficult to be as poor again.
If anyone can though..

Post Reply