Summer Transfer Window 2017

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017 Targets

Post by Gsbgsb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Many would pay pretty much twice what Oneykuru would cost for Adama Traore who apparently has similar characteristics- notably pace and has failed for the last two seasons at this level. Apart from the you tube know nothing of the young lad but he is just that, young. I would rather take a gamble on him than Traore. At least he seems to be able to score a goal and provide an assist something Traore cannot. It will be one or two years before he takes up a squad space and if we get him and one of him, Holland, Quinna come off then it is a gamble that has worked.

bubbles1966
Location: A pessimist confronted with a challenge, sees a problem; an optimist sees an opportunity.

Post by bubbles1966 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Onyekuru comes from the same strand of thinking as Isaac Success and Demarai Gray.

Quick, tricky, bit erratic but still very young.

These are unpolished players. They might turn out to be duds, but might not but they have some development time left in the tank whereas Valencia and Calleri etc didn't. Each one has done better than Traore ever has.

So long as it doesn't detract from signing a pair of senior strikers (I'd include the Man City lad as a senior) I don't see much harm in signing one of these type of youngsters.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm

I agree. Had he been called Marcus Rashford and not made his Man Utd debut then people would be saying the same things. You have to take a chance on some of these players provided you can afford the established ones as well. Inneacho is seen as senior because he has done it in the premier. Were we to get this kid and he get say 10 goals next year what would his value be?

vaz te's bonnet

Post by vaz te's bonnet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 pm

I think he has a bit of Raheem Sterling about him. In his pace and slightly erratic skills however he has more vision than Sterling

Fishdo

Post by Fishdo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:41 pm

I see Ex is saying We have been watching strikers Bas Dost (Sporting), Vincent Aboubakar (Besiktas) & Stevie Mounier (Montpellier)

But not sure what that means except maybe we still ain't sure who we want or we are scattergunning or have failed with our first options .... assuming it's true that is ;)

dunk on fire

Post by dunk on fire » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Hoping the real lack of concrete itk news means we are quietly progressing on things.

Iheanacho would be top of my list but I would also very much like us to try and get Sandro from Malaga.

Batshuayi looks very unlikely for a number of reasons.

Modeste I think he would probably score 10 goals for us in all comps but is a bit older and doesn't really excite me, same as Dost and Kruse (unless signed as the number 2 striker).

madhammer

Post by madhammer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Firstly, I think players of the age, profile and recent history of the likes of Henry Onyekuru are exactly the type which have worked out well for us in recent years.

Players in the £5m-£10m bracket, who've shown potential, are a good age and have had plenty of recent first team football. Can see a lot of parallels between him and the signings of Fernandes, Masuaku, Lanzini, Kouyate, Obiang.

Looking at his highlights I dare say Onyekuru has a touch of the Sadio Mane's about him, when he was playing in the Austrian League for RB Salzburg. At the rumoured £7m you'd have to say he represents an absolute bargain in an era when even championship clubs are increasingly spending 8 figures on players. Aged 20 and for the fee involved you even have the luxury of developing him as he should be, giving him the benefit of the doubt when he's inconsistent l, swapping him in and out and giving him time to settle in to the league.

Another name I'd through in the mix to replace Payet is Gerard Deulofeu. In a strange way I can see a lot of similarities between him and the pre-Marseille Payet. He clearly has all the talent in the world but needs the right coach and team to help him harness it.

Deulofeu is incredibly skilful and can beat his man for fun alà Payet but hasn't always shown the best decision making; when to pass, play it simple etc... but there's definitely a player in there. Again like Payet he also has wonderful delivery from out wide in open play and I can vividly remember him creating chance after chance for Lukaku at Everton before Koeman came in and seemingly didn't fancy him.

I think Antonio was at his most dangerous and prolific sneaking in at the back post and getting on the end of Payet's crosses and think Deulofeu could offer the same type of service.

I was never in favour of the Snodgrass signing, one of the reasons being his preference of playing from the right where we were already fairly well stocked (Antonio & Feghouli). Assuming any of the other clubs interested at the time still are, he'd definitely be one I'd be looking to move on before his age causes his re-sale value to decrease anymore and think the likes of Onyekuru and Deulofeu would be well worth considering.

Leaving us 6 for the AM positions looking like Antonio - Lanzini - Onyekuru with Feghouli - Ayew - Deulofeu as understudies. I think that 6 is strong and deep enough as well thain you could even include Ayew and Antonio as 3rd and 4th choice striker options meaning you throw the boat out at the best CF we can attract be that Batshuayi, Iheanacio or another.

Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Onyekuru screams "Tony Henry signing" to me and I don't think that is a bad thing. Henry's primary goal seems to be infusing this team with youth that hopefully can serve the club for a long time. Young players who have shown a bunch of potential either in another team's academy or in a lower league somewhere.

Given Henry's pedigree I won't question the signing of any 17-21 year-old. They are players that Tony Henry seems to circle as having "potential for a long term impact".

Look at Nathan Holland as an example. We signed him with no intention of him playing right away and so far he's done brilliantly for the PL2 squad. Look at Edi Fernandes as another. We signed him with no real intention of playing him right away (I believe, as he was barely 20 and coming from Sion) and he ended up contributing immensely this year.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Post by MB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Max Kruse has put his troubles behind him according to my mate at work who is a big Werder Bremen fan (watches every game via internet).

15 goals and 7 assists in only 23 games (he had a knee injury) is good in a decent league regardless of who the goals come against.

What my mate did say is that he went off the rails after the pressure of a big move and being back at his home club without any weight of expectation has helped him a lot. My mate questions whether he has the mental strength to handle a big money move abroad and would be cautious because of that.

Rasp

Post by Rasp » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Is there anyone that we are not interested in, this seems to be going the same way as every other transfer period ending up with disappointment.

Sorry for being a miserable ****er but I have had enough.

cambridge hammer

Post by cambridge hammer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Rasp wrote:Is there anyone that we are not interested in, this seems to be going the same way as every other transfer period ending up with disappointment.

June 8th and you've had Enough? Good grief.

Rasp

Post by Rasp » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Yeah good grief is an understatement.

Dan1326

Post by Dan1326 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Ludeksgloves wrote:
:lol: the stuff you read on here....
Prove otherwise

And saying he played for Man City isn't an answer

Morph would look good in that defence

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm

How much of it is genuine interest? How much of it is press/agent driven? If interest means we have asked about availability etc then I hope we have 6/7 names for each position we want, if it is offers made then I agree that is too scattergun.

Fishdo

Post by Fishdo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Rasp wrote:Is there anyone that we are not interested in, this seems to be going the same way as every other transfer period ending up with disappointment.

So far mate we are not interested in anybody.... everything here or in articles are supposition...

Thankfully it's nothing like last year so far with all the crap we heard from the Daves etc

Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Henry Onyekuru gave an interview about his future today. From what he said I would put us in a better position than Arsenal:
The money can come later but for now, I just want to play to improve, not just to play for a big club.
He reiterates several times in the interview that playing time is more important to him than money or club prestige.

http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/t ... t-13157108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, later in the interview he goes on to say he'd like to win trophies. Hope he likes the Betway Cup.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 pm

From the limited knowledge of Onyekuru and from what clips I've seen of him, I've got a good feeling about him and wouldn't be against us buying him for a reasonable fee and wages. The Belgian top league has produced some outstanding young talent in the past, so I'm very open minded about this.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Onyekuru looks rapid

Would he do better at left wing than Masuaku?

Nick Sneddon

Post by Nick Sneddon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 pm

1860OnceMoore wrote:As City have just spunked £ 35m on a keeper we should offer a cheeky £ 10m for Joe Hart
really dont want us to sign Joe Hart, not really a step up from Adrian imo and they would make him the marquee signing of the summer. **** that

Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Agreeing with everyone here that Hart would be a lateral move from Adrian. Big price tag for very little improvement (if any) and zero room for growth at his age. Hart and Adrian even both share a common weakness in that they lose their head every once in a while costing their team a goal they should never give up.

I'd honestly much rather see us splash the cash for Pickford. He may or may not be better than Adrian but at his age he has buckets of potential for improvement.